Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR Service Information and FAQ

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

Is that all I need is one more DECA to connect the cloud to the internet? Won't I also need a power inserter for that DECA? Would I need any of the filters also? Basically I would like to get the "cloud" connected to the net and I'm just trying to figure out exactly what equipment I need to buy.

You'll need a DECA and a PI. If you have any non-MRV receivers on your network, you'll need a BSF installed before each one if you have a SWiM-LNB. If you have a SWiM-8, you need one between the first splitter and the SWiM-8 if you have receivers off the legacy ports and also before any non-MRV receiver that is off the splitter.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,798 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

Is that all I need is one more DECA to connect the cloud to the internet? Won't I also need a power inserter for that DECA? Would I need any of the filters also? Basically I would like to get the "cloud" connected to the net and I'm just trying to figure out exactly what equipment I need to buy.

You'll need one of these

#183 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

You'll need a DECA and a PI. If you have any non-MRV receivers on your network, you'll need a BSF installed before each one if you have a SWiM-LNB. If you have a SWiM-8, you need one between the first splitter and the SWiM-8 if you have receivers off the legacy ports and also before any non-MRV receiver that is off the splitter.

- Merg

Ok, your losing me...haha. Not sure which dish I have, the only receivers I have are an H23 and an HR22 if that helps with the "non-MRV" and legacy questions.

You'll need one of these

What makes this any different then just using a DECA adapter and power inserter?

#184 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,415 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:09 AM

...What makes this any different than just using a DECA adapter and power inserter?

It does that exact same thing, just a little cleaner for router installations. Either kind of DECA works.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#185 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:42 AM

Ok, your losing me...haha. Not sure which dish I have, the only receivers I have are an H23 and an HR22 if that helps with the "non-MRV" and legacy questions.

How many cables do you have coming down from your dish, 1 or 4? One means you have a SWiM-LNB and 4 means you have a SWiM-8. In either case, since you have only the H23 and HR22, all you need is the DECA and PI to get hooked up to the Internet.

Use a coax based off the splitter (most likely a 4-way) that is being used to feed the HR22 and H23 to hook up the Broadband DECA.

I still think that they should get you installed properly. You never answered about what the line item stated on your order as to what you ordered. If it mentions Internet Connection Kit or Cinema Connection Kit anywhere on there, DirecTV should supply you with the DECA and PI and also install it for you, to include running any additional coax cables that would be needed.

- Merg

#186 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

How many cables do you have coming down from your dish, 1 or 4? One means you have a SWiM-LNB and 4 means you have a SWiM-8. In either case, since you have only the H23 and HR22, all you need is the DECA and PI to get hooked up to the Internet.

Use a coax based off the splitter (most likely a 4-way) that is being used to feed the HR22 and H23 to hook up the Broadband DECA.

I still think that they should get you installed properly. You never answered about what the line item stated on your order as to what you ordered. If it mentions Internet Connection Kit or Cinema Connection Kit anywhere on there, DirecTV should supply you with the DECA and PI and also install it for you, to include running any additional coax cables that would be needed.

- Merg

There's only 1 cable coming from the dish, it goes up to my apartment then into a splitter...

Also I can't find any documentation that I would have gotten on install day so I have no idea what the line item says...

#187 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:26 PM

Okay, sounds like you have a SWiM-LNB. If you go on-line to your account DirecTV, you can look up your order and it will list out everything that was to be installed. Check that out and post back with what it says.

- Merg

#188 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

Okay, sounds like you have a SWiM-LNB. If you go on-line to your account DirecTV, you can look up your order and it will list out everything that was to be installed. Check that out and post back with what it says.

- Merg

Where do I go in my account to see that info? When I click "Orders" the only thing that shows up is the recent order for my 2 DECA adapters...

#189 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:17 PM

Go to My Account and then click the tab for Pending Orders. There should be a button for View All Orders on that tab.

You did get an e-mail confirmation of your order as well, correct?

- Merg

#190 OFFLINE   bubbagumper6

bubbagumper6

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:43 PM

Go to My Account and then click the tab for Pending Orders. There should be a button for View All Orders on that tab.

You did get an e-mail confirmation of your order as well, correct?

- Merg

EDIT: A guy from Directv called me just now and basically told me that my original order called for the whole home kit (which is why they sent me the 2 DECA's) and not the whole home internet kit, so he can't send me another DECA for the router but I can order one. I told him it's kind of BS that the whole home kit doesn't include a DECA for the router since the receiver's DECA uses the ethernet port thus making it impossible to use some of the features...he didn't care...

It still didn't have it, when I clicked "View All Orders" it just took me to the same page as when I clicked "Orders" before. But I did find the email for my order confirmation and it doesn't say anything about any internet connectivity or media kits or anything. This is what it has:

CHOICE XTRA $63.99
$24 Bill Credit for Months 1-12 ($24.00)
$5 Bill Credit for Months 1-12 ($5.00)
HD Access $10.00
FREE HD for Life ($10.00)
DVR Service $7.00
SHOWTIME UNLIMITED $12.99
Starz Super Pack $12.99
FREE for 3 Months: SHOWTIME and Starz ($24.00)
Watch More Save More ($1.98)
Lease Fee $10.00
Lease Fee Discount (1st receiver) ($5.00)
Estimated First Bill Amount: $46.99
Estimated first bill amount does not include sales tax.
Your Equipment Selection
HD DVR Receiver $199.00
FREE HD DVR Receiver Upgrade ($199.00)
Standard Receiver Free
Satellite Dish Free
Professional Installation Free
Shipping & Handling Free
Equipment Total: $0.00
Sales Tax $0.00
Order Total Paid: $0.00

Edited by bubbagumper6, 19 November 2010 - 04:21 PM.

#191 OFFLINE   beerguy

beerguy

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:13 AM

I have a SWiM LNB and compatible HD receivers with one DVR and no internet connection. $200 to supply and install three DECAs seems crazy to me.

#192 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:27 AM

I have a SWiM LNB and compatible HD receivers with one DVR and no internet connection. $200 to supply and install three DECAs seems crazy to me.

This is the downside of a "one price fits all" plan.
You may need a bandstop filter, some wiring, the DECAs, and "if" you have H20s they'll need to be swapped.
There is always the DIY method. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#193 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:09 AM

I just ordered an HD receiver online to replace one of my D12's so that I can have WHDVR in my kitchen.

If they send me a H24, I know it has the Deca built in so no problems hooking it up. If they send an older model will it include the Deca unit?

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#194 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:21 PM

I just ordered an HD receiver online to replace one of my D12's so that I can have WHDVR in my kitchen.

If they send me a H24, I know it has the Deca built in so no problems hooking it up. If they send an older model will it include the Deca unit?

Hopefully, it was flagged that you have MRV, so they should supply the DECA. If not, just call them up and try to get them to send it to you. Hopefully, they won't tell you that a tech needs to do the install of the DECA adapter.

- Merg

#195 OFFLINE   ejhuzy

ejhuzy

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:31 PM

I'm about to get WHDVR installed tomorrow and had a question pop into my head (trying to stay in front of all the wife questions). Right now all my DVRs can record two programs while watching a previously recorded program at the same time. Does any of that change with WHDVR?

Like what happens if DVR #1 is recording two things and DVR #2 on the cloud wants DVR #1 to stream something to it? And what if DVR #1 is currently outputting a show locally?

Does that make sense?

#196 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:35 PM

I'm about to get WHDVR installed tomorrow and had a question pop into my head (trying to stay in front of all the wife questions). Right now all my DVRs can record two programs while watching a previously recorded program at the same time. Does any of that change with WHDVR?

Like what happens if DVR #1 is recording two things and DVR #2 on the cloud wants DVR #1 to stream something to it? And what if DVR #1 is currently outputting a show locally?

Does that make sense?

No, but the DVRs don't change.
"The recording" can be played as before, but now it can be from a remote DVR instead of "just" locally.
A.K.A VOS

#197 OFFLINE   ejhuzy

ejhuzy

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

No, but the DVRs don't change.
"The recording" can be played as before, but now it can be from a remote DVR instead of "just" locally.

Thanks, let me try one more time. So DVRs can still record two different channels at the same time, while playing back a different (3rd) recording?

Maybe this is a better way to ask the question. Can a DVR be recording 2 programs, playing back a local recording locally and streaming a recording all at the same time?

#198 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

Can a DVR be recording 2 programs, playing back a local recording locally and streaming a recording all at the same time?

yes, "but" it can only stream one recording to another receiver at a time, regardless of what else it's doing.
A.K.A VOS

#199 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,895 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:56 PM

In addition to recording 2 programs, playing back a local or remote recording, streaming a program to ONE other H/HR, if connected to the internet, it can be downloading one or more (queued) VOD programs. Busy, busy, busy!!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#200 OFFLINE   ejhuzy

ejhuzy

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 04:04 PM

yes, "but" it can only stream one recording to another receiver at a time, regardless of what else it's doing.

In addition to recording 2 programs, playing back a local or remote recording, streaming a program to ONE other H/HR, if connected to the internet, it can be downloading one or more (queued) VOD programs. Busy, busy, busy!!

Guys, thanks for the responses. I think I got it now. Sounds super flexible. Can't wait to try it out. I hope the install goes ok.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...