Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR Service Information and FAQ

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   SeldomSeen31

SeldomSeen31

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

Hopefully the tech can find the problem, as this isn't how SWiM should be working.
Cable problems or a bad PI may be the cause.
The DECA has three LEDs which if all are green is the only test you can do without having a H/HR24 or higher than have DECA internally [which give a menu to check the status of the DECA network].
SWiM & DECA don't interact at all. DECA simply needs SWiM to free up the frequency band that DECA uses.

There was a splitter that split a coax line and then wen to one HD-DVR and to the broadband adaptor. Tech is moving that and running a new line.

There was also a phantom coax on the main 8 way splitter that ran to a bedroom where no box is used, that was removed.

After a reboot the HD box saw the other DVRs, but that fixed the problem last time.

Before Tech leaves I will record 4 shows, have all tuners in use and see if I can replicate the problem.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

There was a splitter that split a coax line and then wen to one HD-DVR and to the broadband adaptor. Tech is moving that and running a new line.

There was also a phantom coax on the main 8 way splitter that ran to a bedroom where no box is used, that was removed.

After a reboot the HD box saw the other DVRs, but that fixed the problem last time.

Before Tech leaves I will record 4 shows, have all tuners in use and see if I can replicate the problem.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks.

If you don't need the 8-way splitter, and only need 4 coax connected, have him change it for a 4-way.
That "phantom" cable can cause problems. EVERY open port/cable should have a termination.
A.K.A VOS

#443 OFFLINE   SeldomSeen31

SeldomSeen31

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

If you don't need the 8-way splitter, and only need 4 coax connected, have him change it for a 4-way.
That "phantom" cable can cause problems. EVERY open port/cable should have a termination.

I have 5 boxes total, plus the network deca.

2 SD boxes, 1 HD box and 2 HD-DVRs. So now there are 6 coaxes coming from the splitter.

#444 OFFLINE   LowPingBoy

LowPingBoy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 59 posts
  • LocationCoastal North Carolina

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

Not quite sure of your setup here, but wireless and powerline shouldn't be used for MRV. Hardwire ethernet or DECA is the only method that works repeatedly.

Basically it is a plain vanilla DECA MRV - all STBs have the white DECA adapters. And, on one HR22 the DCCK is after the DECA as illustrated in the User guide, page 18 - 19. Coax from SWM splitter to "Towards LNB" on the DCCK, Coax between "Sat Rcvr" on the DCCK and "Towards LNB" on the DECA, Coax from the DECA to SAT 1 on the STB, and Cat5 from the STB top port to the Cat5 port on the DECA. Nothing in the RJ-45 port on the DCCK.

I just need to get out of wireless internet a to a 1Gig Cat5 coming out of a PowerLine rather than hard wired to the router. The MRV is straight DECA, I jut need to get internet access through Cat5, not wireless. In an earlier post: http://www.dbstalk.c...581#post2810581 you provide a solution that: "While not preferred or supported, it does work." I'm ready to go that route but just wondered if there is some way to just use the empty RJ-45 on the DCCK.

Sorry for the confusion.

LPB

#445 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:52 PM

I have 5 boxes total, plus the network deca.

2 SD boxes, 1 HD box and 2 HD-DVRs. So now there are 6 coaxes coming from the splitter.

Then don't use a splitter down stream and it should work.
Have the 2 unused ports of the splitter terminated.
A.K.A VOS

#446 OFFLINE   SeldomSeen31

SeldomSeen31

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

Then don't use a splitter down stream and it should work.
Have the 2 unused ports of the splitter terminated.

Well, he finished up, extra ports are terminated.

He ran the extra line to the broadband adaptor.

We tested by recording utilizing all 7 tuners on the 5 boxes and had no issues. Fingers crossed this resolves my issues that have resulted in 4 service calls, new equipment, multiple customer service phone calls and quite a few hours of my time.

Thanks VOS for your continued support here.

One last maybe related question....

I have 1 box that won't connect to the internet. It is one of the DVR boxes. It connects to my network fine, I control it with the irule ipod app and it has a static IP of 192.168.1.105. If I restore defaults all settings fro DNS, gateway, etc. remain the same but it gets an IP of 192.168.1.151 assigned by the DHCP reservation system on my router and can connect to the internet. I set it back to 105 and it loses internet. I can't see anything in my router settings that would cause this, the static addresses I have set on the other boxes have the same settings and connect just fine. I am at a loss to explain it and the Tech that was here said that since it connects fine with the restored defaults that there wasn't anything he could do....

#447 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Well, he finished up, extra ports are terminated.

He ran the extra line to the broadband adaptor.

We tested by recording utilizing all 7 tuners on the 5 boxes and had no issues. Fingers crossed this resolves my issues that have resulted in 4 service calls, new equipment, multiple customer service phone calls and quite a few hours of my time.

Thanks VOS for your continued support here.

One last maybe related question....

I have 1 box that won't connect to the internet. It is one of the DVR boxes. It connects to my network fine, I control it with the irule ipod app and it has a static IP of 192.168.1.105. If I restore defaults all settings fro DNS, gateway, etc. remain the same but it gets an IP of 192.168.1.151 assigned by the DHCP reservation system on my router and can connect to the internet. I set it back to 105 and it loses internet. I can't see anything in my router settings that would cause this, the static addresses I have set on the other boxes have the same settings and connect just fine. I am at a loss to explain it and the Tech that was here said that since it connects fine with the restored defaults that there wasn't anything he could do....

"He was right" [this time :lol:].
Have you rebooted your router? It does sound like this glitch is in your router.
I had one [much worse] where I couldn't get on the internet and figured it had died. I reset and trying everything I could, but was screwed.
"Just before throwing it in the trash" I remembered the hidden reset [red button] that reset it to factory settings. Bingo! it came back and worked fine.
A.K.A VOS

#448 OFFLINE   SeldomSeen31

SeldomSeen31

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

"He was right" [this time :lol:].
Have you rebooted your router? It does sound like this glitch is in your router.
I had one [much worse] where I couldn't get on the internet and figured it had died. I reset and trying everything I could, but was screwed.
"Just before throwing it in the trash" I remembered the hidden reset [red button] that reset it to factory settings. Bingo! it came back and worked fine.

Yeah, networking is something that I'm familiar with the basics, but trouble shooting leaves me scratching my head.

I did unplug and reboot the router during a call with tech support. Lost internet for my whole house. Used the "red button" factory default reset button and all was well, except the DTV box at IP x.105. Restored my saved router settings back to the router, all was still well except x.105.

So strange. Oh well, since it works in my system, and I don't need internet access for on demand stuff, I'll just let it go.

#449 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,655 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Yeah, networking is something that I'm familiar with the basics, but trouble shooting leaves me scratching my head.

I did unplug and reboot the router during a call with tech support. Lost internet for my whole house. Used the "red button" factory default reset button and all was well, except the DTV box at IP x.105. Restored my saved router settings back to the router, all was still well except x.105.

So strange. Oh well, since it works in my system, and I don't need internet access for on demand stuff, I'll just let it go.

What happens when you change 105 to another?
A.K.A VOS

#450 OFFLINE   SeldomSeen31

SeldomSeen31

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

What happens when you change 105 to another?

I have a range reserved on my router of 192.168.1.100 to .149 for the static IP devices in my home. All computers, ipods, phones, and DTV boxes have static IPs set. .105 is what I have the box with the trouble set to. .106 and .111 are the other 2 boxes and they connect to the internet just fine.

When restoring defaults, the box grabs an IP from my router's DHCP reservation system, usually .150 if no other devices are using DHCP.

It the connects just fine with DHCP instead of static IP. If I leave all settings the same in the advanced network settings and set it back to .105 it fails to connect. I tried another free IP address of .120 and if failed too.

#451 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

So I guess you have Checked to ensure that you entered the MAC Address for the DVR correctly?

I had a problem where I was off one digit and it didn't work because I hadn't properly assigned it in the DHCP Reservations List.

Have you Rebooted your Router?

Edited by Richierich, 25 January 2012 - 02:46 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#452 OFFLINE   96beretta

96beretta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

Does this statement still apply?

Q: Is this something I can do myself by purchasing items elsewhere?
A: Yes, but DirecTV has the best deal for equipment and they will even come out and install it.

I'm debating on calling Dtv and having them do the MRV setup or just doing it myself. I have the SWM8 equipment already and I just rewired my house to have new coax going to all the DVR and HD recever locations and I think I have a fairly easy setup, possibly 2 HR23's and one H23. I just ordered a new DVR and have not received it yet so I don't know if I'm going to end up with a second HR23 or maybe a HR24, that's why I say possibly 2.

I can get all of the DECA hardware I need for $75, or $60 if I end up with a HR24 So I just can't justify the said $199 price tag that I've seen for some guy to come out and plug this stuff in and attempt to run wires in my house when it's unnecessary... As well as having to miss a day of work. And honestly after ripping out everything they did on this house prior to me buying it (old owner had DTV as well) I don't want another tech trying to run ANYTHING... I'll do all of that myself thank you...

I was told on the Dtv forums that I should not go and buy all of the stuff and try a DIY install because they may not activate it. I can't see why they wouldn't because if it works then they get $3 more a month from me, if it doesn't then I would have to pay them to come out and fix it, sounds like a win win for them. I just wanted to get an opinion from another forum on that direction.

#453 OFFLINE   96beretta

96beretta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:24 AM

Nobody knows the answer to my question?

#454 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

I was told on the Dtv forums that I should not go and buy all of the stuff and try a DIY install because they may not activate it. I can't see why they wouldn't because if it works then they get $3 more a month from me, if it doesn't then I would have to pay them to come out and fix it, sounds like a win win for them. I just wanted to get an opinion from another forum on that direction.

Nobody knows the answer to my question?

I, like a lot of others here, took the DIY route for reasons similar to yours. Although some people have had to email DirecTV more than once (myself included) to get them to activate WHDVR service, I can't imagine you not eventually getting a CSR to turn it on for you.
Vin

#455 OFFLINE   96beretta

96beretta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:59 PM

Thank you I appreciate the reply.

#456 OFFLINE   Ronomy

Ronomy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:08 PM

No installer coming into my house! I installed every Direct system since day one. Installed SWM well over two years ago myself. DECA hardware on the way and will either call or email to get WHDVR service turned on.

:)

#457 OFFLINE   96beretta

96beretta

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

No installer coming into my house! I installed every Direct system since day one. Installed SWM well over two years ago myself. DECA hardware on the way and will either call or email to get WHDVR service turned on.

:)

Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I don't want insult ALL of the installers but about 90% of them just don't take their job seriously and don't treat the customers home as if it were their own, they only do the job as quick as they can most of the time and don't care about how neat it is, or if its the best way to run the cable.

I just re-wired all of my coax, Unfortunately I did it for my Multiswitch before I realized the simplicity and avalibility of the SWiM stuff... But who cares, I have 2 coax wires going to each DVR location in the wall now on plate, and not just poking through my floor so It's clean and there will just be one extra coax when I do the SWiM stuff. I hope to have my SWiM stuff for this weekend and I think the DECA stuff should be here by friday as well.

$120 invested, and knowing its done right... Priceless.

#458 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

I had whole home installed recently and I now want to activate an old owned D12-700 receiver for a guest room with a SD TV. I don't need or want to have the D12 connected to the other DVR's in my network. I read in the FAQ's that I will need to install a Band Stop Filter BSFR0-01 before the cable input to the receiver. What is the purpose of the BSF and what would occur if the BSF is not connected to the D12?

#459 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

I had whole home installed recently and I now want to activate an old owned D12-700 receiver for a guest room with a SD TV. I don't need or want to have the D12 connected to the other DVR's in my network. I read in the FAQ's that I will need to install a Band Stop Filter BSFR0-01 before the cable input to the receiver. What is the purpose of the BSF and what would occur if the BSF is not connected to the D12?

The D12 does not work with whole-home as it is a SD receiver. However, you will need the BSF installed for the D12. Since you are on a SWM system and are using DECA for whole home, the BSF stops the DECA frequencies from getting to the receiver, which can end up causing problems.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#460 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

The D12 does not work with whole-home as it is a SD receiver. However, you will need the BSF installed for the D12. Since you are on a SWM system and are using DECA for whole home, the BSF stops the DECA frequencies from getting to the receiver, which can end up causing problems.

- Merg

Merg, thanks for the explanation.

spam firewall