Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR Service Information and FAQ

• Please log in to reply
495 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   Nolzman

Nolzman

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hello Everybody,

I currently have three HD DVR's (HR22-100, HR21-100, and a HR20-700). All three have two cables running to each, which I guess means I do not have SWM. The main unit (HR22-100) is in the LR and is connected to my router, via a switch and power line ethernet connection. It also has an AM21 off-air tuner attached.

I received an offer from DTV to upgrade to Whole-House DVR for free for being a long-time loyal (5 heart) customer.

What can I expect to do as far as set up?
What is the optimal solution for me based on the equipment I have? What I mean is how will they set me up?
Will this change require me to sign up for two more years?
Should I ask for a certain set up / equipment when I call?
What do I gain for installing this functionality?
Will I loose any functionality?

Thank you for your responses.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   dh650

dh650

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:17 PM

Hello everyone!

I called DirecTV today to see about getting Whole Home active. I have an older AT9 KaKu dish, 1 HR20-700, 1 HR21-700, an older 5x8 multiswitch which supplies each HD DVR with 2 coax feeds, and the remaining feeds go to other rooms not currently in use.

Initially, it sounded like I could get away with just having DirecTV send me 2 DECA units and I would be in business. I told the rep I don't really care about the CCK and really only want the DVRs to talk to each other to share playlists. After she checked, she came back and said they would have to come out and swap out my old dish with a new SWM compatible dish, change my old mutiswitch to a SWM compatible model, install the DECA units on each DVR, setup the CCK(which I told them I don't want so I'll probably have the tech skip that).

Their initial quote was $250 and of course I laughed. I was able to get the whole package for just the $49 truck roll fee so I think I did okay there.

So what will happen to the 2 coax feeds on both the HD DVRs when the dish is changed over to SWM? I have read where SWM only requires 1 coax to the dual tuner DVRs. Which input will the coax be connected to - Sat 1 or Sat 2? Can you leave both connected after the changes have been made and DECA has been installed?

Also, is a power supply absolutely required for SWM installations? I don't have any power source close to either the dish location, or my existing outside multiswitch box on the side of the house, so I'm not sure how that will work if required.

I also want to confirm that a DECA connected to my broadband router is only required if I want the CCK installed and for the DVRs to have Internet for ordering On Demand, using You Tube, etc, correct? If I just want Whole Home between the 2 DVRs I hope all I need is the 1 DECA unit for each DVR.

Thanks!

#463 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

Hello everyone!

I called DirecTV today to see about getting Whole Home active. I have an older AT9 KaKu dish, 1 HR20-700, 1 HR21-700, an older 5x8 multiswitch which supplies each HD DVR with 2 coax feeds, and the remaining feeds go to other rooms not currently in use.

Initially, it sounded like I could get away with just having DirecTV send me 2 DECA units and I would be in business. I told the rep I don't really care about the CCK and really only want the DVRs to talk to each other to share playlists. After she checked, she came back and said they would have to come out and swap out my old dish with a new SWM compatible dish, change my old mutiswitch to a SWM compatible model, install the DECA units on each DVR, setup the CCK(which I told them I don't want so I'll probably have the tech skip that).

Their initial quote was $250 and of course I laughed. I was able to get the whole package for just the $49 truck roll fee so I think I did okay there.

So what will happen to the 2 coax feeds on both the HD DVRs when the dish is changed over to SWM? I have read where SWM only requires 1 coax to the dual tuner DVRs. Which input will the coax be connected to - Sat 1 or Sat 2? Can you leave both connected after the changes have been made and DECA has been installed?

Also, is a power supply absolutely required for SWM installations? I don't have any power source close to either the dish location, or my existing outside multiswitch box on the side of the house, so I'm not sure how that will work if required.

I also want to confirm that a DECA connected to my broadband router is only required if I want the CCK installed and for the DVRs to have Internet for ordering On Demand, using You Tube, etc, correct? If I just want Whole Home between the 2 DVRs I hope all I need is the 1 DECA unit for each DVR.

Thanks!

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

In order to have Whole Home using DECA, you need a SWM setup as it seems you are going to get. You need one DECA for each receiver and if you want Internet connectivity you need the CCK.

As for your current setup, they will disconnect the second coax from each of the receivers and it will not be used anymore. The single coax will go to the DECA and from the DECA a coax will go to SAT1 and a CAT5 cable will go to the ethernet port.

The PI (Power Inserter) is needed, but can be placed in-line with one of the coax cables near a receiver or anywhere else there is an electrical outlet.

As for the CCK, I would get it installed. If you don't want it, you can always disconnect it and not use it, but at least you don't need to worry about trying to order it later on if you change your mind. The CCK can be installed in-line with one of the receivers if it is the wireless CCK and if it is a wired CCK, they can just use one of the now extra coax cables that was to one of your receivers (if it is near your router).

Having the CCK installed, as you mentioned, will allow access to YouTube, Pandora, DirecTV on Demand (VOD), as well as allowing you to use the iPad app to control your receivers and allowing you to order PPV via the Internet with your remote without the need to have a phone line attached.

Is there a reason you don't want the CCK connected?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#464 OFFLINE   dh650

dh650

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

That's good news on the PI and being able to place it in-line close to a receiver and where there is power.

I was worried the wired CCK would need to be installed by my router, which is not close to either of the 2 DVRs, and I didn't want any cables running from the router/computer area to the nearest DVR which is in the master bedroom. If the wireless CCK allows it to be located near a DVR and avoid any wiring clutter then I might go ahead with it. I definitely see the advantages of having it for Pandora YouTube, etc.

Thanks for all your help.

#465 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:14 AM

That's good news on the PI and being able to place it in-line close to a receiver and where there is power.

I was worried the wired CCK would need to be installed by my router, which is not close to either of the 2 DVRs, and I didn't want any cables running from the router/computer area to the nearest DVR which is in the master bedroom. If the wireless CCK allows it to be located near a DVR and avoid any wiring clutter then I might go ahead with it. I definitely see the advantages of having it for Pandora YouTube, etc.

Thanks for all your help.

No problem.

Yeah, the wireless CCK is made for the specific circumstance to allow installers to install a CCK without the need to run additional cables. I'm assuming that you have no coax cable near your router whatsoever?

- Merg

#466 OFFLINE   dh650

dh650

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

That's correct. I have my broadband internet at the point of the router, but no satellite coax close to that point. It would be a much easier install to go with the W-CCK at one of the 2 HD-DVRs, if it can indeed be installed in-line by a receiver as you said.

The tech came today, did a good job swapping out my old AT9 dish for the newer slimline, upgraded to SWM, changed the old Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch to the new SWM version, installed a white DECA on my HR20-700, and a black DECA on my HR21-700.

I asked the customer service rep yesterday when setting up the order to include W-CCK, and sure enough, he shows up with the wired version. He didn't have the wireless version so I figured I would just call DirecTV back and have them ship me the wireless CCK. I called DirecTV awhile ago to tell them they messed up the order, and the rep told me wireless CCK is not compatible with Whole Home and DECA. I'm assuming this guy doesn't know what he's talking about?

If you confirm the wireless CCK does indeed work with Whole Home and DECA I will call them back and bug them until they send me what they should have sent me from the start.

#467 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

If you confirm the wireless CCK does indeed work with Whole Home and DECA I will call them back and bug them until they send me what they should have sent me from the start.

Look at my sig, it's been working for a couple of years.
A.K.A VOS

#468 OFFLINE   dh650

dh650

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:01 PM

I just noticed that in your sig right after I finished the previous post; I guess that's the answer I was looking for!

Do you install the wireless CCK and the DECA together at the receiver?

#469 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

I just noticed that in your sig right after I finished the previous post; I guess that's the answer I was looking for!

Do you install the wireless CCK and the DECA together at the receiver?

Of course, it depends on whether the receiver has an internal DECA, or not, but if it doesn't, then it would look like this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1311788989
A.K.A VOS

#470 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

I called DirecTV awhile ago to tell them they messed up the order, and the rep told me wireless CCK is not compatible with Whole Home and DECA. I'm assuming this guy doesn't know what he's talking about?

Unfortunately, DirecTV has been known to use the same terms for different components. Originally, the Cinema Connection Kit was a wireless adapter that was connected to the back of a receiver to allow that one receiver to get access to the Internet. Most likely, the CSR thought that which was what you were referring. That version of the CCK cannot be used with Whole Home.

- Merg

#471 OFFLINE   dh650

dh650

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:56 AM

That clears things up; thanks for the picture showing the setup.

#472 OFFLINE   ksalno

ksalno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm having a weird problem. I have the following set-up:

SWIM16
Splitter1 - has H24, H25, and 2 HR20-700
Splitter2 - has HR24, HR34, H24, and DECA

None of my boxes can see the playlist for the HR24 but the HR24 can see the playlists for all the other DVRs. I've checked sharing is ON for the HR24.

All other playlists are visible on every box.

Any ideas?

#473 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:27 AM

Press the [DASH] button and see if your HR24 reports that it is connected to your network. You may need a restart.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#474 OFFLINE   ksalno

ksalno

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

Problem resolved. The HR24 was connected to the network, in fact, it was too connected. I checked the rear panel and it had an Ethernet cable in addition to the coax SWM connection. I disconnected the CAT5 cable and rebooted - problem solved. Funny thing was all other networking worked fine and I could pull items off other DVRs playlists using the HR24, which is why I didn't notice it right away after the install.

#475 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Problem resolved. The HR24 was connected to the network, in fact, it was too connected. I checked the rear panel and it had an Ethernet cable in addition to the coax SWM connection. I disconnected the CAT5 cable and rebooted - problem solved. Funny thing was all other networking worked fine and I could pull items off other DVRs playlists using the HR24, which is why I didn't notice it right away after the install.

The Ethernet cable being connected was disabling the internal DECA in the HR24. When you removed it and rebooted, the internal DECA was reactivated.

- Merg

#476 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

How many IRDs can be seen on a whole home network?

#477 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

How many IRDs can be seen on a whole home network?

The DECA/MoCa network has a 16 node limit.

The DVR software seems to have problems around 10 DVRs.
A.K.A VOS

#478 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Is there some simple way to determine what recordings in the Playlist are on the local DVR with drilling down into each program to look at the source?

This would be especially helpful when trying to clear out hard disk space.

#479 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:00 AM

The DECA/MoCa network has a 16 node limit.

The DVR software seems to have problems around 10 DVRs.

If 2 SWiM 16s are bridged together, does the 16 node limit still stay in place (though I suspect 16 DVRs would take up all 32 SWiM Channels).

#480 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

If 2 SWiM 16s are bridged together, does the 16 node limit still stay in place (though I suspect 16 DVRs would take up all 32 SWiM Channels).

The node limit of 16 doesn't change, but how you bridge the two SWiM-16s determines whether there is one RF network or two.
If you use a CCK on each SWiM and bridge the two with your router, they are two coax networks, with each having a 16 node limit.
Bridging the two SWiMs with diplexers shares the same RF networking and so 16 nodes is the limit for both combined.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...