Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR Service Information and FAQ

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Is there some simple way to determine what recordings in the Playlist are on the local DVR with drilling down into each program to look at the source?

This would be especially helpful when trying to clear out hard disk space.

When you have a show highlighted look up toward the top of the screen where it gives you the description of the show. At the beginning of the description there may or may not be a name inside brackets []. If the recording is on the DVR you are currently sitting at there will not be any brackets. If the recording is on a different DVR then that DVR's name will show up in between the brackets.

For example at my house I would see something like [MASTER BEDROOM], [LIVING ROOM], or [THEATER ROOM], depending on which DVR the recording is stored on. If I am in my master bedroom then all of the shows recorded on it will not have the brackets, shows recorded in the other two rooms would have [LIVING ROOM], or [THEATER ROOM] at the beginning of the show description.

You may have to go in and set the names of your DVRs yourself if they haven't been set yet. I believe it is under the Whole Home section in the set-up screen. These names are not automatically set by what it says on your online DirecTV account, they have to be set at the receivers themselves.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#482 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

Beerstalker's answer is most likely the complete answer you were looking for. But as another approach you can always set up list to only see the local playlist.

Open up the options menu (yellow button) in list and the last option, filter by playlist, toggle that from all to local playlist andr exit back to list and then your list will show exclusively its own content.

You will need to toggle it back to all when done in order to see other DVR's content.

I use this method to force a playlist refresh when I think it has lost connection with another DVR. Sometimes toggling like this works for that sometimes not.

Don "easy as multiplying 233 by the square root of Pi but much faster" Bolton

Is there some simple way to determine what recordings in the Playlist are on the local DVR with drilling down into each program to look at the source?

This would be especially helpful when trying to clear out hard disk space.

Edited by lugnutathome, 08 November 2012 - 10:14 PM.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#483 OFFLINE   CrimsnTide

CrimsnTide

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

Alright, I started out and read the first 8 pages of this thread and just kind of thumbed through the rest. I did try a search through this thread and others to find a definitive answer, but I'm not totally clear. I know this thread is over 82 days old, but...(Imagine that).

I have 5 receivers on my account in which 3 are connected via my own home network (CAT 5). These receivers are HR22-100, HR21-200, and a H24-700. Everything is working as it should with no problems (except the monthly fee). Not that it matters, but I am no longer in contract with DTV, but am still in good standings. :grin:

My question:

I have an older H21-100 on my shelf not being used. This is a OWNED unit for which I do NOT have to turn back in. Is there ANY way to hook it up to my Whole Home network and just VIEW the recordings off my HR22-100 and HR21-200?

It seems once the receiver was deactivated and that receiver is no longer subscribed, I lost the ability to use it. I am just hoping to stream my TV content to another room that does not have DTV cables to it, but does have network access.

I think I know the answer, but what would it take? does it HAVE to have a line (coax) to it?
Or could I just activate it for the additional monthly fee to stream? I could possibly hook it up to a coax for activation, but just move it after it's updates.

Thanks - it's been a long while since I've posted here on DBS... Amazing on the types of questions I am now asking.

Thanks for ANY feedback.

#484 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I think I know the answer, but...

Thanks for ANY feedback.

It needs an "active" coax connection so it can stay on your account.
A.K.A VOS

#485 OFFLINE   CrimsnTide

CrimsnTide

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

It needs an "active" coax connection so it can stay on your account.

Thanks,

I kind of figured that.

I will look into DirecTV2PC, since I have wired network access and a TV... Maybe a laptop is all I need. I will look for a thread on this.

Thanks again.

#486 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

Thanks,

I kind of figured that.

I will look into DirecTV2PC, since I have wired network access and a TV... Maybe a laptop is all I need. I will look for a thread on this.

Thanks again.

Unless you have a good laptop with up to date drivers and good memory,ram,dual or quad processor etc. I would install the playback advisor tool software from Directv site first to see if your PC is up to par.

Edited by acostapimps, 04 February 2013 - 05:09 AM.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#487 OFFLINE   pet575

pet575

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

Hello all,

I'm not new to the forum but it has been awhile since I've been around. I've been with DTV since 2001. Last year I subscribed to the Whole Home DVR service and when I asked about installation of additional equipment the person on the phone told me "No, you already have everything you need-you should be able to use the service immediately after you restart your receivers." The Whole Home DVR service has never worked. I've slowly discovered that I did not have everything I needed and I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to make it work because I want to add another TV with an HD receiver to my system and get this thing set up from here going forward.

GENIE is too expensive for all of the new equipment I've been told I would need and so I'd like to get the Whole Home DVR thing working correctly since I have a relatively simple setup in my home.

I've read a few pages of this thread and I'm ashamed to admit that I'm an idiot and I'm lost. I don't fully understand what a DECA, SWM PI, or other terminology is that is being used here-nor do I fully understand how to hook them together for my setup. I'm sharp enough to catch on if someone can give me a bit of a remedial description of what I need for the most basic connectivity and can then help me apply it to my setup.

Here is what I have:

I believe it is as follows:

5 LNB Slimline oval Dish
6X8 Zinwell switch
HR20-700: 2 feeds from Zinwell connected; also connected by hard wire to my wireless modem
HR21-200: 2 feeds from Zinwell connected
H20-600: 1 feed from Zinwell connected
DRD485RG (old SD receiver): 1 feed from Zinwell connected
Immediate future expansion: Additional [Model TBA] HD receiver hooked to new HD flat screen which is not yet installed.

So, what do I need to add to my, system from a hardware standpoint, to be able to view the content on either of these DVRs from ANY HD receiver in my home (that would be 4 total after adding the newest one that has not yet happened)?

Do I simply need a DECA hooked into the lines between each of the DVRs in my system?

Do I also have to replace my Zinwell 6X8 Multiswitch with a Single Wire Multiswitch? (Or can I simply hook an SWM to ONE of the feeds that comes out of my Zinwell and hook the DVRs and HD receivers to only those outputs instead of the current outputs from the Zinwell?)

Do I have to replace my dish? I'm pretty sure it is a 5-LNB.

Would I be better off paying the $100-150 for DTV to just come do all of this? I'm hoping to save myself that fee with a DIY, but if the money is pretty close I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing handle all of this.

Finally, I have a Blu-Ray player that is not currently hooked into my home network for internet access but it is hooked locally to the set wtih the HR21-200. Is it an option for me to hook a DECA to that Blu-Ray player and hook that to my network in order to have the capability to watch a Blu-Ray movie on any TV in the house using that unit? If it is not that will not break my heart but it would be pretty cool if I could do that.

Thanks to all. This forum is one of the best out there!

#488 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

Pet575, have you called DIRECTV recently to see how much they would charge you to upgrade to a Genie? If you're out of contract they might make you a very attractive offer which would also get you on WHDVR service.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#489 OFFLINE   pet575

pet575

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

Yes I did. They were "generous" enough to offer me a $100 discount for the main DVR for the Genie system in addition to the costs of installation of everything needed to get me the whole home. No break available for the additional $99 clients required for each TV if I went wireless. Understood that I could just keep all current receivers in place and not have to purchase any of the clients, but then that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me to buy the GENIE DVR. That is why I was going to the Whole Home DVR instead-especially since I should have already had it up and running.

It ticks me off that they'll offer brand new customers a free GENIE in exchange for a commitment but they can't reward a 12 year customer with more than a $100 discount or a free HD Receiver at this point in time.

Yay.

#490 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,097 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Yes I did. They were "generous" enough to offer me a $100 discount for the main DVR for the Genie system in addition to the costs of installation of everything needed to get me the whole home. No break available for the additional $99 clients required for each TV if I went wireless. Understood that I could just keep all current receivers in place and not have to purchase any of the clients, but then that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me to buy the GENIE DVR. That is why I was going to the Whole Home DVR instead-especially since I should have already had it up and running.

It ticks me off that they'll offer brand new customers a free GENIE in exchange for a commitment but they can't reward a 12 year customer with more than a $100 discount or a free HD Receiver at this point in time.

Yay.

I'd call back and get to retention, say you want to cancel service at the voice prompts but when you get an actual person say right off you really don't want to cancel service and here's what I want to do, can you help with the pricing.

As you mentioned you don't need to go with the Genie clients, you could keep your existing HD boxes and replace the SD box with the Genie (moving boxes around to the Genie is in your main viewing location). Or you might get a good retention CSR that will throw in a client or two to sweeten the deal for you.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#491 OFFLINE   pet575

pet575

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'd call back and get to retention, say you want to cancel service at the voice prompts but when you get an actual person say right off you really don't want to cancel service and here's what I want to do, can you help with the pricing.

As you mentioned you don't need to go with the Genie clients, you could keep your existing HD boxes and replace the SD box with the Genie (moving boxes around to the Genie is in your main viewing location). Or you might get a good retention CSR that will throw in a client or two to sweeten the deal for you.

On this advice I called up DTV and got myself a Genie and 4 clients for $50 total, and a year of programming at a $20 a month discount plus free HD service for an entire year. The "I've been with you for nearly 12 years, give me a good deal like you're giving your new customers" theme was quite effective. I simply advised them that Dish, Uverse, and my local cable provider were offering way better deals that I could take advantage of.

They're coming out Sunday to hook a brother up. Thanks for the advice-I'm sure I'll be very happy with the setup!

#492 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

I couldn't find this anywhere on the forums, so I thought I would ask:
How do I make a "default" receiver to record to? I have an HR24-100 and an HR34, and an H25. I want all of the recordings to go to the HR34 (when being scheduled from the H25) as the user in that room is not too technically inclined. If it was alphabetical it would record to the HR34, but it's always defaulting to the HR24. Any ideas?
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#493 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

You can't do what you want with your configuration.

The H25 will let you select what DVR to record to.

The other two will only record on that machine, you can't direct recording to another unit.

Your solution would be to replace the H25 with a C31 RVU client. It will then record on the HR34 (only).

#494 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

You can't do what you want with your configuration.

The H25 will let you select what DVR to record to.

The other two will only record on that machine, you can't direct recording to another unit.

Your solution would be to replace the H25 with a C31 RVU client. It will then record on the HR34 (only).

Oh, I know this.
What I want to do is [when on the H25] have it default to record to the HR34. Right now if you record on the H25, it pops up the menu that says "Record to: Living Room" Living room is the HR24. Then you can drill down and select Bedroom which is the HR34. But I want it to automatically have Bedroom [HR34] selected and if you wanted to change it, have to change to the HR34. I know a C31 will do this but if I buy anything else I'll be murdered.
I thought I read someone else had a solution somewhere around here but it might have been something like naming the receivers "Record Here" and "Don't Record Here"
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#495 OFFLINE   Rigger01

Rigger01

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hello all. Recently after 10 years DTV changed my account from Residential to some sort of Business account.  I have lost all my online capabilities, HBO GO all that stuff. Basically is just the service, no bells and whistles. Here is the question.

Is there a way to trick the DVR's and Receivers so I can get whole home network back? After thinking about it. Is it just a flag that DTV sends to all the receivers to enable it?  Can that be spoofed?

Before they changed the account the whole home network was working great after all the help I got on a previous post.  http://www.dbstalk.c...andom-dropouts/

This is the one thing that I miss on a daily basis.  All the other stuff I can suffer without.  Any ideas? Please pm me if this is something that should not be talked about here.

Thank you in Advance.

Here is my setup. The numbers next to the receivers is the cable run length.

10ni8nl.jpg

Edited by Rigger01, 25 November 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#496 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:48 PM

Is there a way to trick the DVR's and Receivers so I can get whole home network back? After thinking about it. Is it just a flag that DTV sends to all the receivers to enable it?  Can that be spoofed?

You are correct on your assumption, however discussing how to ‘hack” DIRECTV® is not allow on this forums and if I am not mistaken, illegal as well.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#497 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,285 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

Not to mention why on earth they would have changed your account.

#498 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

We do not need to discuss Rigger01's question, situation or status any further. If there are further posts regarding it, we'll remove them from this thread.

• Rigger01 likes this

#499 OFFLINE   Rigger01

Rigger01

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:36 PM

I did not mean to stir the pot.  I was just curious if anyone had this happen before.  I will not talk about trying to get around in a tricky way.  Sorry.  DTV reevaluated our address that is the reason I got when they called.  I went back and forth with them.  I just tried to email ellen.filipiak@directv.com. I read in other posts that people have had luck.  I told her I would be willing to pay extra to get the whole home back.  As long as the Mods say it's ok I will post the response I get back.  Once again. Sorry. 

UPDATE ** The above email is no longer valid.

Edited by Rigger01, 28 November 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#500 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

I don't know the new email,but Elen Filipiak is no longer in that position. Someone else may have an appropriate email address handy and can post it. There are email addresses that you can use to try and escalate an issue.

So long as you are working with DirecTV to obtain a solution that is compliant with their terms of service, there is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing it, or it's outcome, here.

My comment above was simply meant that we did not need to discuss either your initial query, which peds48 noted was outside the terms of service, or questions from others as to the status of your account. The latter is your business, not ours.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...