Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR Service Information and FAQ

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dgilman

dgilman

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hey. Quick question. After exhaustive searching with no results I was wondering how do I go about adding a room to my Whole House DVR. I currently have 2 rooms installed and am very happy. Would DTV installer do it or would they send me an HD receiver and DECA. Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

dgilman,
I want to add to your question - I currently have a 3rd TV (SDTV) in the bedroom that I have hooked up to my (former) cable TV coax, who's source is my basement's HR20. Works great with the RF controller.

Seeing how DECA uses the "cable TV coax", would I lose use of my upstairs TV?

#43 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

For those of us who had been successfully running home network based MRV, and have since switched to SWM/DECA (which I did today). How can we confirm that we have been switched from "unsupported" to "supported" ?

That should have happened automatically when you called in for your "whole home solution" install.

Note: after the installers left my house I went online to my DirecTV account and added in the service. The install is a separate gig than the service. This can be done online or over the phone.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#44 OFFLINE   jrcobb

jrcobb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

with this setup if am21 is on one reciever will the other recievers pick up the ota channels

#45 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

with this setup if am21 is on one reciever will the other recievers pick up the ota channels

No. You would need an AM21 on each receiver, unless a particular receiver has a built in tuner.

"Whole Home DVR service", or MRV does not stream live content in any way to another receiver. Only recorded content.
Barry
MY SETUP

#46 OFFLINE   rqman52

rqman52

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

Why on a 2nd HD-DVR can you not schedule recordings on another DVR remotely but on a regular HD one you can ?

#47 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

Why on a 2nd HD-DVR can you not schedule recordings on another DVR remotely but on a regular HD one you can ?

Hopefully this comes forth in time, its just not available right now. ;)
Barry
MY SETUP

#48 OFFLINE   jrcobb

jrcobb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

Can you have two recievers in the same room

#49 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

Can you have two recievers in the same room

Yes, just put one on IR and one of RF, or use two separate IR codes (I believe there are 8 to choose from). I have mine set up this way, so I can watch two sports events at once on two monitors.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#50 OFFLINE   jrcobb

jrcobb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

Thanks,
Just bought the HR24 but thinking about keeping my HR20

#51 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

I currently have a 3rd TV (SDTV) in the bedroom that I have hooked up to my (former) cable TV coax, who's source is my basement's HR20. Works great with the RF controller.

#52 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,802 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Great job Grentz!

I've asked this before but really haven't received an answer for it. Do you think we'll ever see "Schedule Recordings on OTHER receivers" or "whole home recording management" added any time soon? This would really be a huge addition.

Thanks

#53 OFFLINE   greenwave

greenwave

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered elsewhere. Currently my HR20-700 is networked through a wireless access point. If I "upgrade" to the DECA package, will all of the currently networked functions -- On Demand, media share, etc. -- work through the DECA network? Or will I also have to keep the HR20 separately connected to my home network through the wireless access device?

Thanks in advance. DB
DirecTV since 2002?
Slimline DIsh
HR20-700/OTA/Networked
HR10-250

#54 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

Apologies in advance if this question has already been answered elsewhere. Currently my HR20-700 is networked through a wireless access point. If I "upgrade" to the DECA package, will all of the currently networked functions -- On Demand, media share, etc. -- work through the DECA network? Or will I also have to keep the HR20 separately connected to my home network through the wireless access device?

Thanks in advance. DB

"The cloud" will connect all receivers and another DECA bridging to your home network gives you all of that "stuff" on the cloud.
A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   T-Hefner

T-Hefner

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

My question is, I have a HR24 and a H23... and I just got the DECA/SWM upgrade today....and the internet is on the network....now shouldnt VOD work on the H23 too ? Right now there is no "On Demand" in the menu sysem on the h23..... and in the guide I cant access the 1100 channel range.....Granted the system was just installed today..

Am I wrong? Can you not get the VOD service on the H23 if its networked with DECA/Whole Home .... ??

-Tim
Samsung 1080p 120hz LED-LCD w/ HR24-500
Samsung 1080p DLP 61" w/ H24-100

DirecTV Premier Package + HD Extra Pack + On Demand
SWMLine3 w/ Deca+MRV

#56 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:46 PM

My question is, I have a HR24 and a H23... and I just got the DECA/SWM upgrade today....and the internet is on the network....now shouldnt VOD work on the H23 too ? Right now there is no "On Demand" in the menu sysem on the h23..... and in the guide I cant access the 1100 channel range.....Granted the system was just installed today..

Am I wrong? Can you not get the VOD service on the H23 if its networked with DECA/Whole Home .... ??

-Tim

"H"s don't have any storage for VOD.. you can have the HR record VOD and play it back on H..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#57 OFFLINE   T-Hefner

T-Hefner

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, I understand they dont have storage for VOD, but they dont have storage to schedule recordings either, I know that when ya schedule recordings they record on your HR, so I bet eventually you will be able to browse VOD and pick VOD on H receivers and when it streams/downloads to your HR ...

Atleast I would like to see that in the future....
Samsung 1080p 120hz LED-LCD w/ HR24-500
Samsung 1080p DLP 61" w/ H24-100

DirecTV Premier Package + HD Extra Pack + On Demand
SWMLine3 w/ Deca+MRV

#58 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

I currently have a 3rd TV (SDTV) in the bedroom that I have hooked up to my (former) cable TV coax, who's source is my basement's HR20. Works great with the RF controller.

#59 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Are you using an RF modulator? The HR20 doesn't have a coax output? Regardless, the DECA gets connected inline with the coax to the SAT1 in port and wouldn't affect any output ports.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#60 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:15 PM

Oh yeah, I AM using an RF modulator. It's been 13 years since I set it up... Thanks for the reminder.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...