Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

south of the border

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ray4321

ray4321

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

am south of the border and a couple of days ago sat 119 went out. 110 is fine . does anybody have a reason and is there something i can do to restore it. i have an 8ft dish for 110 and a 6ft dish for 119. thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,792 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

Ray - this site does not condone people subscribing to service they should not be getting, but if you do some other reading you can find your answer in other forums.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

DISH Network changed it's satellite at 119 to one that focuses it's power better where needed ... the US ... where people can legally subscribe to their programming services.

If you are south of the border perhaps you should try http://www.dish.com.mx/ ?

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:55 PM

He could mean south of the Canadian border...

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,792 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

Nobody who is legally getting Dish service in Conus "needs" a 6 foot and 8 foot dish for 110 and 119.

Alaska / HI might be different, and "maybe" Puerto Rico / USVI, but I don't see anybody else.

#6 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 679 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

This person could be a US Citizen retiree living in Cabo San Lucas. You'd be surprised how much cheaper it is to live there and have beach front property to boot. So, it is illegal for a US Citizen to receive DISH Network in Mexico ? And is it illegal for a US Citizen who lives in Windsor, Ontario (across from Detroit) or other border Canadian town and cities?

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,792 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

Correct. If your household is not in an area that Dish/DirectTv is authorized to service - you must take that country's equivalent services.

I could see an exception for traveling - if the country you're visiting allows that.

#8 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

This person could be a US Citizen retiree living in Cabo San Lucas. You'd be surprised how much cheaper it is to live there and have beach front property to boot. So, it is illegal for a US Citizen to receive DISH Network in Mexico ? And is it illegal for a US Citizen who lives in Windsor, Ontario (across from Detroit) or other border Canadian town and cities?

doesn't matter what their nationality is, it matters where they are receiving the signal, and unless a person is receiving their signal within the 50 States that make up the United States of America or in Porta Rico, then they are receiver an illegal signal from Dish Network satellites.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:39 PM

It is the responsibility of a US citizen to obey the laws of any country they visit.

And it remains the responsibility of satellite customers to follow the terms of service of their provider regardless of citizenship or location. If there is any question as to what those terms are, they are available on the provider's website.

(For DISH: http://www.dishnetwo...al/default.aspx )

#10 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

I used to subscribe to Canada's Bell ExpressVU system here in the US. I was a legal paying subscriber - not stealing. Basically a broker in Canada gave me a Canadian service address and I paid Bell directly with my US based credit card. They didn't seem to care as long as they got the money.

As I understand it, the service provider would be violating terms of their contracts if they were to knowingly sell me that service, and I may have been violating Bell ExpressVU's terms by viewing their service here in the US, but I was not breaking any Canadian or US laws.

If I had connected my receiver to my phone line, the first time the receiver dialed out, it would have been shut down permanently, but I didn't have to worry about the cops coming after me.

#11 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:27 PM

I was a legal paying subscriber...

Really? :rolleyes:
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#12 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:35 AM

He could mean south of the Canadian border...

Which Canadian border? We have two borders with Canada.
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#13 OFFLINE   paja

paja

Godfather

• Registered
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Really? :rolleyes:

Is it against some federal law to recieve the programming JW is getting or is it violations of agreements that providers of programming have with the networks?

#14 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,792 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Is it against some federal law to recieve the programming JW is getting or is it violations of agreements that providers of programming have with the networks?

Both.

The content providers' contracts with the DBS carriers restrict them to only the areas they can legally serve.

Further, each country's equivalent of the FCC regulates the DBS carriers to their country. Granted, there will be spillage over the borders, but over time, that has gradually diminished.

#15 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:00 AM

I based my "it's legal" comment on information I had at the time from the dealer I bought my equipment from. They had a lot of information including a page on the legal aspects of doing this. I just checked their site and see that page is now gone, along with a lot of other information on the topic. They seem to be supporting snowbirds more now. I guess that is in part due to the current state of the exchange rates (it used to be a big cost saving to pay for Canadian TV with US dollars) and the improvements in US systems. Back at the time I was doing this Canadian systems offered more HD content then US satellite or cable systems.

That dealer is still in business and they do offer a lot of interesting satellite related stuff if anyone here is interested. The pictures of his dish farm are pretty cool!

Edited by Kent Taylor, 27 May 2010 - 12:48 PM.
Removed URL. A bit spammy.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:39 PM

I based my "it's legal" comment on information I had at the time from the dealer I bought my equipment from.

It isn't unusual for someone to claim that what they are doing is perfectly legal and try to bury complaints by rationalizing or explaining away any issues. The opposite end of that spectrum are those who openly admit what they are doing violates the law and see it as a challenge to do it without being caught.

Rule of thumb: If you have to lie and can't tell the root provider where your equipment really is without having your service immediately terminated your service probably isn't legit.

The potential for fraud is high. Paying the root provider directly is a good sign. Some intermediaries create one account and put several of their customers on the same account ... Their customers pay them the full rate plus a convenience charge of some sort but they are not passing on the money per account. The second customer only costs them $5 and they pocket the rest. Or they fly by night. They get a lot of customers, get their money and move on to the next group of marks. When your service stops working they are nowhere to be found. The illegal nature of the service makes it hard to go after the crooks.

If one wants to be part of the seamy underworld of gray market satellite service (or black market) that is your decision. We have made the decision here at DBSTalk not to support or promote such schemes. So if you do it don't tell me about it.

Buy the services legally available in your country, state, county and city. Enjoy them to their fullest extent. Brag (as needed) about how your service is better than anything else available. Complain about how your providers won't (or can't) provide what you want or need ... but offer no solution that would require violating the terms of service of the satellite provider, laws of any country, state or city involved. We just don't do that here.

#17 OFFLINE   JWKessler

JWKessler

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

Last edited by Kent Taylor; Today at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Removed URL. A bit spammy.

Though they sell unusual satellite gear (no Dish or Direct stuff), anyone looking around on that site would find a lot of very interesting and useful technical information, which is why I included the URL. For instance, the newsletters have some great tips, like how to keep snow off your dish etc.

I have no current relationship with them but thought folks here might enjoy the content.

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,091 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:17 PM

Though they sell unusual satellite gear (no Dish or Direct stuff), anyone looking around on that site would find a lot of very interesting and useful technical information, which is why I included the URL. For instance, the newsletters have some great tips, like how to keep snow off your dish etc.

I have no current relationship with them but thought folks here might enjoy the content.

Referring back to my post ... Since DBSTalk does not assist or encourage the use of such services providing the name or link is NOT permitted.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...