Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Epix-HD on Directv

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
186 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mr.X

Mr.X

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

Is there any way we will see channel show up this year?

Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM all left Showtime in order to start Epix and now Showtime has a lot less new movie because of it, so adding more Showtime channels sounds crazy.

Edited by Mr.X, 26 May 2010 - 05:05 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

Doubtful.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:23 PM

My "Magic-8 Ball" says:

● Outlook not so good

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:25 PM

Paramount, Lionsgate, and MGM all left Showtime in order to start Epix and now Showtime has a lot less new movie because of it, so adding more Showtime channels sounds crazy.

It's not likely, but that's okay in my opinion due to the way they present films.
DTV = Digital Television

#5 OFFLINE   Mr.X

Mr.X

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

It's not likely, but that's okay in my opinion due to the way they present films.

I wish that they did all their movies in oar too, but maybe in time they will fix that problem.:)

#6 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

You got me all hopeful there with a thread title like that.

#7 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

When they were first shopping the channel to carriers Directv passed on it saying they had enough premium channels as is, so I dont think it will come to Directv anytime soon.

#8 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 354 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

They will be adding more Showtime and HBO channels this summer :-)

#9 OFFLINE   jerrylove56

jerrylove56

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:07 PM

Agree, they can add Hallmark Movie with its old movie titles and Epix-HD programming seems to be a better fit. I thought I read where Dish has it in their Extra HD package. I would like to see it offered to. Just seems like since Liberty took over their goals deal with packaging Direct for sale instead of improving programming options.

#10 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

Is Epix commercial free like FMC or TCM ?

#11 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:03 AM

Agree, they can add Hallmark Movie with its old movie titles and Epix-HD programming seems to be a better fit. I thought I read where Dish has it in their Extra HD package. I would like to see it offered to. Just seems like since Liberty took over their goals deal with packaging Direct for sale instead of improving programming options.

Epix has positioned itself as a premium, more like HBO or Starze than Hallmark. DirecTV has shown no interest in packaging Epix as a premium resulting in the current stalemate. Epix currently has very little market penetration. They will either have to make their content considerably more compelling or their expectations considerably more realistic.

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

As stated, Epix currently has very little market, and if they don't correct that quickly, Epix will go bankrupt and will likely end up right back with Showtime, which is what I suspect is going to happen. Epix wants a ton of money, and most carriers aren't interested, because most customers aren't going to pay.

#13 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

Epix shows some great exclusive new movies no other premium channel does. I'd love to have it.

#14 OFFLINE   gregjones

gregjones

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

Epix shows some great exclusive new movies no other premium channel does. I'd love to have it.

But what are you willing to pay for the luxury of it? That is the question.

Epix wants you to pay for that one channel as you would for Showtime or HBO or STARZ. Is one channel worth that much per month? How many subscribers does DirecTV have to predict will pay for the channel in order for it to justify the overhead of the ongoing bandwidth plus the initial work of startup? Or would you prefer that everyone have their bill go up a few bucks a month to pay for it?

In all likelihood, DirecTV is betting that the interest is so low (as proven by a stunning lack of carriage agreements) that the channel will not exist in its present form for any period of time. When the channel folds, the distribution of the same films will likely revert to channels already carried. Would DirecTV be serving their customers better by joining the goose chase (from their perspective) or keeping costs constant by avoiding the temporary disappearance of those films?

#15 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:02 PM

So Epix is only one channel and not a group of channels like HBO or Showtime? Seems like between those three companies, they'd have enough material for four or five channels.

I've lost track of who owns what, but I thought Paramount, Showtime, and CBS were all tied together. And I thought Lionsgate distributed some Showtime original programming. Sounds like I have more off-topic questions than on-topic ones. :)

#16 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:16 PM

Actually, there is (or will be) more than one Epix channel.

I do not know what the channel costs, maybe some of the DIsh folks can tell us what they are charging BUT my understanding was that Epix was looking for something in the neighborhood of $13/sub/month for the service.

I think DirecTV made a wise decision for right now. Many users ( I would love to see the numbers) made a concious decision to trim their bill by dropping the premium movie channels when things got tough. I know I did.

Adding another $13 to the price of the Premium channel package probably seemed like a tough sell right now.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#17 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

Showtime is lousy! I hate it!!!!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#18 OFFLINE   coota

coota

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:34 PM

Obviously you don't watch some great quality programs on Showtime, such as The Tudors, Dexter, etc.

#19 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:38 PM

Showtime is lousy! I hate it!!!!

At least they respect OAR far more often than Epix. Regardless, I sub to HBO and Showtime for their original programming.
DTV = Digital Television

#20 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

As stated, Epix currently has very little market, and if they don't correct that quickly, Epix will go bankrupt and will likely end up right back with Showtime, which is what I suspect is going to happen. Epix wants a ton of money, and most carriers aren't interested, because most customers aren't going to pay.

EPIX has sound problems. The dialog is low & the music is blasting. You don't want it!

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

Protected By... spam firewall...And...