Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Poll: What do you think about ESPN-HD stretch?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 04:08 PM

Informal poll... (if this is allowed)????

From what I understand (and I hope I'm wrong), ESPN says they are stretching their 4:3 1080i to 16:9 for ESPN-HD because this is what the majority of their viewers want.

Which do you prefer... stretched or not? And why?

I prefer it not be stretched. I would rather watch 4:3 with side bars or let my Toshiba do it's own stretching since it's much better than ESPN's stretching. ESPN's stretching takes away from the HD quality IMO.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 05:30 PM

I always prefer to do my own stretching.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 05:57 PM

I would have to agree with Mark. Already having it stretched does not give you the option of having it at 4x3 for people that perfer it that way.

I think ESPN basically thinks by stretching it they fool people into thinking that it is really an HD channel when in reality it is mainly an SD upcast channel with a little HD thrown in for fun. They should just own up to it and send it in 4x3 for the non HD stuff.

I always prefer to do my own stretching.

#4 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 06:50 PM

ESPN fat vision sux.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 07:57 PM

I would much rather them not stretch them. I could then decide to stretch if I wanted to do so.

#6 OFFLINE   leestoo

leestoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 10:43 PM

I dislike the stretched ESPN. My monitor does a much better job of stretching.
VMS man

#7 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 07:35 AM

I absolutely can't stand their stretched mode. It looks terrible. If anyone from ESPN is out there, please let US decide when and how WE want to watch SD programming. Honestly, the 6000 does a much better job of stretching than whatever your giving us.

#8 OFFLINE   DarrellP

DarrellP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 01:19 PM

The stretch sucks bigtime, but I get around it by putting my projector in 4:3 mode and it unstretches, though I do lose about 1' off the top and bottom of the image.
<---- I wish she was my girlfriend. :D

#9 OFFLINE   Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 02:54 PM

Ahhhh.... I finally got to see true HD on ESPN. The NFL Sunday Night game was awesome.

#10 OFFLINE   Cyclone

Cyclone

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 11:57 AM

My pansonic can unstretch it too. Looks pretty good with the stretch removed.
I'm an angry gumball
Known Dish 6000 Tips and Tricks

#11 OFFLINE   Zach2

Zach2

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:57 PM

can't you guys just switch just the SD channel of ESPN if you don't want it stretched or want to do it yourself??

#12 OFFLINE   Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 08:53 AM

That's exactly what I do. I stretch the SD with my Toshiba RPTV. It would just seem like if ESPN is going to have a dedicated HD channel that they would not try to stretch their signal but offer HD 24/7 on that channel. They could do like CBS-HD and not stretch the commercials. They just have a pitiful stretch mode. Use Toshiba's method if anything.

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:22 AM

I wonder if it's an ABC corporate directive? Our local ABC station (WLS-DT) which is an O&O 'stretches' their upconvert programming all the time also. I number of us have contacted the stations management and engineer and they refuse to stop the practice, even after NBC, Fox and WGN stopped the practice based on view feedback.

#14 OFFLINE   Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 11:24 AM

Maybe if enough people complained to ESPN they would stop stretching.

This is what they say about stretching:

When ESPN Is Not Originally Producing An Event In HDTV, Why Do You Stretch The Picture To The 16:9 Format?

We have found that most consumers with HDTV want to "set it and forget it" when it comes to stretching original 4x3 video to the 16x9 format. We also have a series of on-screen features (bottom line information throughout some programs like Baseball Tonight…interspersed on other programs at 28 and 58 minute past the hour) for which ESPN desires a consistent look and spacing for information and for the sponsors of those on-air graphics and features. It is important to ESPN to transmit a consistent 24:7 signal to all consumers nationwide for continuity of service and viewer satisfaction for the majority of consumers with HDTV sets. We also use equipment for this "upconversion to 720p" and "stretching 4:3 to 16:9" which is of a quality far superior to that contained within consumer HDTV units.

I'm not sure which "most consumers" they are speaking of but I haven't found anyone who likes their stretching. A thread over at hometheaterforum.com resulted in everyone stating they would rather ESPN not stretch.

It doesn't appear they have an e-mail address to voice an opinion on the matter or I do so and know some others who would too.

#15 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 11:46 AM

Maybe if enough people complained to ESPN they would stop stretching.

This is what they say about stretching:

[/size][/font]

I'm not sure which "most consumers" they are speaking of but I haven't found anyone who likes their stretching. A thread over at hometheaterforum.com resulted in everyone stating they would rather ESPN not stretch.

It doesn't appear they have an e-mail address to voice an opinion on the matter or I do so and know some others who would too.

I did a poll over in the AVSFourm and the folks that wanted the stretch had STB's that wouldn't allow them to change the aspect ratio and were worried about burn in.

#16 OFFLINE   Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 11:56 AM

Hmmmm.... I missed that poll. What was the end result or last result? Do you have any numbers?

I can understand those concerned about burn in but would think the number of people against it would be higher... maybe not?

#17 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,994 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 12:07 PM

Hmmmm.... I missed that poll. What was the end result or last result? Do you have any numbers?

I can understand those concerned about burn in but would think the number of people against it would be higher... maybe not?

It's old, from April of 2002, but here's the link: http://www.avsforum....threadid=134873

Do you want 4:3 or stretched image
You have already voted on this poll.
WMAQ-DT 4:3 image 36 20.22%
WMAQ-DT Stretched image 9 5.06%
WLS-DT 4:3 image 34 19.10%
WLS-DT Stretched image 10 5.62%
WGN-DT 4:3 image 33 18.54%
WGN-DT Stretched image 12 6.74%
WTTW-DT 4:3 image 34 19.10%
WTTW-DT Stretched image 10 5.62%

#18 OFFLINE   Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker

Legend/Supporter

• Topic Starter
  • Gold Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 12:25 PM

Thanks RAD.

Looks like 4:3 is favorable vs. the stretched which is what I kinda figured.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...