Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sony OLED Screen Thin Enough to Wind Up Around a Pencil

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

We've been dreaming about this for decades, hearing about this for years, real prototype is shown by Sony!

...The technology hinges on a new kind of organic thin-film transistor (OTFT) based on a new semiconducting material that has eight times the current modulation rate of existing OTFTs. This makes the display powerful, but there's at least one more clever trick--instead of relying on driving electronics based on conventional solid chips in their familiar little black plastic packages, Sony's built all the display driver tech out of OTFTs themselves, and integrated them into the actual panel the display itself is made on. This is crafted from a super-thin (20 micron-thick) substrate, making it flexible enough to be repeatedly rolled around a tube of diameter of just 4mm, as well as being stretched....

More at FastCompany

Woohoo!

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:23 AM

That's a great video

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,781 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:28 AM

Another reason why I use nothing but Sony when it comes to my home entertainment center!

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

I forget where I saw it, but a year or so ago I also saw similar innovations in speaker design... where they had a "sheet" speaker essentially.

Teaming OLED + paper-thin speaker technology means we aren't too far away from some really cool stuff!

Here's one link I re-found...

http://www.techeblog...er-thin-speaker

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

The possibilities are huge! :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#6 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

This screen and 3D = something worth waiting for!

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,486 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:48 PM

Another reason why I use nothing but Sony when it comes to my home entertainment center!

Well, that and Monster.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,781 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

Well, that and Monster.

Yawns...That's right...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...