Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why didn't they put a 1TB+ drive in the HR24?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mogulman

mogulman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

Just wondering what kind of sense it makes to put a 500GB drive in the HR24?

This is Directv's newest receiver. I'm assuming its supposed to be THE hd DVR receiver for the next few years. With so many people putting 1T+ drives attached to their DVR on the older drives from 2007, why didn't they put a 1TB or higher drive in the HR24?

The price of an HR24 is $160 (discounted) up to around $199. 1TB drives are only about $10-20 more than 500GB drives right now. So instead of including a more mainstream (for 2010) 1TB drive, they opted for a 500gb. Then I have to go out and purchase a second drive, with external enclosure, wasting 2x as much energy powering both drives, wasting material, chemicals, etc. I would have paid $20-30 more to have an internal 1TB drive, rather then having an external enclosure and an external drive.

I like the idea of the HR24 being faster and the next generation and all. I just don't get why they wouldn't put at least a 1TB drive in this thing, or offer it as an option.

I guess 500gb might be fine for the average person. It seems like most of the techies on here have 1TB though. I imagine it might be a good marketing thing too, if they had the only 1TB drive DVR.

The only real good reason other than slight cost difference is that they didn't want to have a DVR that was that much better than the HR20,21,22,23... Otherwise everyone would call in wanting to upgrade (even more than they already are). Kind of forces them to not come out with a huge leap in DVR technology on a new platform, otherwise they have to figure out a structure for allowing people to upgrade to that specific unit.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

Because you are in the vast minority (think <1%) who feel the need to go beyond the recording capacity of the HR24 with a 500GB drive.

#3 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:59 AM

Just wondering what kind of sense it makes to put a 500GB drive in the HR24?

This is Directv's newest receiver. I'm assuming its supposed to be THE hd DVR receiver for the next few years. With so many people putting 1T+ drives attached to their DVR on the older drives from 2007, why didn't they put a 1TB or higher drive in the HR24?

The price of an HR24 is $160 (discounted) up to around $199. 1TB drives are only about $10-20 more than 500GB drives right now. So instead of including a more mainstream (for 2010) 1TB drive, they opted for a 500gb. Then I have to go out and purchase a second drive, with external enclosure, wasting 2x as much energy powering both drives, wasting material, chemicals, etc. I would have paid $20-30 more to have an internal 1TB drive, rather then having an external enclosure and an external drive.

I like the idea of the HR24 being faster and the next generation and all. I just don't get why they wouldn't put at least a 1TB drive in this thing, or offer it as an option.

I guess 500gb might be fine for the average person. It seems like most of the techies on here have 1TB though. I imagine it might be a good marketing thing too, if they had the only 1TB drive DVR.

The only real good reason other than slight cost difference is that they didn't want to have a DVR that was that much better than the HR20,21,22,23... Otherwise everyone would call in wanting to upgrade (even more than they already are). Kind of forces them to not come out with a huge leap in DVR technology on a new platform, otherwise they have to figure out a structure for allowing people to upgrade to that specific unit.

$10-$20 per unit adds up real quick.

#4 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,024 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:05 AM

It's all $.

The HR24 is the mainstream DVR, and they probably used 100 hours HD as the reference standard.

Every $1 is probably several million dollars in the long-run.

I'd love if it was 1TB, but certainly understand their perspective.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#5 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

100 hours of HD content is already pretty generous. I think you are vastly overestimating the percentage of customers who want to upgrade beyond that. Heck most of cable provides are just starting to upgrade their units from the 160gb hds that store ~20 hours of hd.

Now I do expect the rumored HMC-30 to have a 1tb or possibly larger HD. More tuners and the ability to provide more streams should come with more storage space.

#6 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:43 AM

Why not give us the Option of buying an HR24-500 with either a 500 Gig or 1 TB Drive and let us pay for whatever we want so we don't have to go to the trouble of Upgrading the Hard Drive ourselves.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:45 AM

Why not give us the Option of buying an HR24-500 with either a 500 Gig or 1 TB Drive and let us pay for whatever we want so we don't have to go to the trouble of Upgrading the Hard Drive ourselves.

See post #2.

There just wouldn't be enough demand for the 1TB version.

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:47 AM

IMO, my parents represent the "typical" DVR user. They record a good 3-5 hours of TV per day. They rarely got near 50% on their HR20 stock 300something drive...they stayed around 10-20% full. It makes "cents" to use a 500GB drive when average users don't use near 1TB.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,623 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

IMHO, much better to have two HR24's with a "virtual" 1 Terabyte and MRV, because it gives you 4 tuners, so no conflicts, and you can watch anything anywhere.

Ya, if you didn't previously have MRV, it costs you an extra $36 a year, but it's soooo worth it to not worry about a show getting bumped. Just my .02.
/steve

#10 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:53 AM

IMHO, much better to have two HR24's with a "virtual" 1 Terabyte and MRV, because it gives you 4 tuners, so no conflicts, and you can watch anything anywhere.

Ya, if you didn't previously have MRV, it costs you an extra $36 a year, but it's soooo worth it to not worry about a show getting bumped. Just my .02.

Wouldn't that cost you an extra $96 per year?

#11 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,623 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:54 AM

IMO, my parents represent the "typical" DVR user. They record a good 3-5 hours of TV per day. They rarely got near 50% on their HR20 stock 300something drive...they stayed around 10-20% full. It makes "cents" to use a 500GB drive when average users don't use near 1TB.

My mom and step-dad are almost the same as your parents and have no issues with just the 20 hours of HD they get on their Verizon Multiroom DVR.

Looking at the Verizon forums, there are a couple of threads with a few folks posting they want more storage, but it's not as big an issue as one might think. Had it been a real problem over the past 2-3 years, I would think Verizon would have addressed it by now, for fear of not being able to acquire new subs because of this issue.
/steve

#12 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Now I do expect the rumored HMC-30 to have a 1tb or possibly larger HD. More tuners and the ability to provide more streams should come with more storage space.

I've read it will be a 2 TB on the HMC...

#13 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

I don't care about the percentage of the customers who are in the minority but just give us the Option to keep us happy so we don't have to Perform the Upgrade ourselves.

That is why alot of car manufacturers give you the Option of Upgrading to a larger engine if you want to pay for it.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Because you are in the vast minority (think <1%) who feel the need to go beyond the recording capacity of the HR24 with a 500GB drive.

See post #2.

There just wouldn't be enough demand for the 1TB version.

Where does the <1% come from?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#15 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

Where does the <1% come from?

Mike

My arse. :lol:

Seriously, you think it's any higher than that? I don't know of a single person (outside of this board) who has upgraded their HDD or runs an e-sata drive. I don't even know of anyone who complains about the storage space. It just isn't an issue for almost anyone....including me.

#16 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:04 AM

A lot of these arguments on both sides remind me of the "Why didn't the put a 500GB drive in the HR20?" threads from a while back. I think it's cost at this point, and you saw that when it did make sense, DIRECTV quietly started putting in 500GB drives.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#17 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

I don't care about the percentage of the customers who are in the minority but just give us the Option to keep us happy so we don't have to Perform the Upgrade ourselves.

That is why alot of car manufacturers give you the Option of Upgrading to a larger engine if you want to pay for it.

It's not that easy. A separate model needs to be created and tested. Plus, with as low volume as the 1TB version would be, it would end up being a lot more than $10-20 more expensive than the standard version. My guess would be more like $50. Then what happens when that one dies, and you get an 500GB version as a replacement? How would that go over with you? It just creates more issues than it solves.

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,116 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:05 AM

Well, at least they allow you to use an External drive. It's not ideal, and there are issues with it, but the majority of providers don't allow it at all, even if there's a SATA port.

#19 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,921 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:07 AM

My arse. :lol:

Seriously, you think it's any higher than that? I don't know of a single person (outside of this board) who has upgraded their HDD or runs an e-sata drive. I don't even know of anyone who complains about the storage space. It just isn't an issue for almost anyone....including me.

I know families with DirecTV who have three & four kids (one with an HR21 and the other with an HR23). They’re both running into space constraints. I know a third who has an eSATA drive on his HR20. :shrug:

However, I think both our sample sizes are just a bit small to extrapolate out to the general subscriber. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#20 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:09 AM

I know families with DirecTV who have three & four kids (one with an HR21 and the other with an HR23). They’re both running into space constraints. I know a third who has an eSATA drive on his HR20. :shrug:

However, I think both our sample sizes are just a bit small to extrapolate out to the general subscriber. ;)

Mike

Which is why I was so candid about where I came up with that number. :D

Protected By... spam firewall...And...