Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why didn't they put a 1TB+ drive in the HR24?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:19 AM

Which is why I was so candid about where I came up with that number. :D

Well, then you really can't put it out there as if you're stating a fact (in your initial post). :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:21 AM

It's looks like most, if not all, of the actual reasons have now been stated.

1. Most of the user population are fine with 100 hours of HD, thus the 500GB to 1TB cost delta becomes savings, which probably equates to tens of millions of dollars of savings.

2. The supply chain stays simple. One mainstream DVR model to design, build, stock/inventory, deploy, maintain, service/swap.

A Pro model would be nice, but analysis may have shown that advanced users just do e-SATA or will do MRV, without much complaint.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#23 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:24 AM

I've read it will be a 2 TB on the HMC...

I don't remember reading that anywhere, do you have a link?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#24 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,210 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

It comes down to what the competition has and if you look at the current website bragging about the HR22 and up having the "two times more DVR storage than cable", you'll understand why they don't feel the need to go larger at this time.

You have to remember that DIRECTV is very motivated to NOT differentiate between receivers. The HR24's defining difference is built-in DECA. Those in the know know better but not talking about other advantages (like not promoting the HR23's wide band tuners) avoids people clamoring for particular models (especially as replacements).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#25 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:26 AM

maybe over a long run they found twin platter 500gb to have better longevity and thermals then 3 platter or high density 1tb drive.
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#26 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:33 AM

I don't care about the percentage of the customers who are in the minority but just give us the Option to keep us happy so we don't have to Perform the Upgrade ourselves.

That is why alot of car manufacturers give you the Option of Upgrading to a larger engine if you want to pay for it.

Car manufacturers are able to markup the options a bunch, each sale is individually made with a salesman, etc. And even then you have two choices--take what is on the "lot" (which is bigger with dealer trades) or wait months for the car with the options you want to be made.

The whole car maker model is completely different than the mass production of consumer electronics model. Every penny (literally) counts.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#27 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

maybe over a long run they found twin platter 500gb to have better longevity and thermals then 3 platter or high density 1tb drive.

I believe the HR24 is one-platter 500GB. ST3500312CS.

It's the thin Pipeline drive.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#28 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,236 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Can't you already go to a place like Solid Signal and lease upgraded units from them? If you don't want an external drive and you don't own your unit to do a drive upgrade it seems there is still an avenue to get what you want.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#29 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,063 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

Can't you already go to a place like Solid Signal and lease upgraded units from them? If you don't want an external drive and you don't own your unit to do a drive upgrade it seems there is still an avenue to get what you want.

I don't think SolidSignal has upgraded units, but Weaknees has HR24s with up to 2 TB drives (at a price, of course).

#30 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:59 AM

Why not give us the Option of buying an HR24-500 with either a 500 Gig or 1 TB Drive and let us pay for whatever we want so we don't have to go to the trouble of Upgrading the Hard Drive ourselves.

Didn't you already do that ;) .. seems like an option. :P
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

$10-$20 per unit adds up real quick.

So does that $3 monthly MRV fee.

#32 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:05 AM

So does that $3 monthly MRV fee.

Yep, with all 7 receivers sharing content in this house, a great option indeed!

Family just loves it.

#33 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,236 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:13 AM

I don't think SolidSignal has upgraded units, but Weaknees has HR24s with up to 2 TB drives (at a price, of course).

Yup, I think you are right. I had right idea wrong place.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#34 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

I believe the HR24 is one-platter 500GB. ST3500312CS.

It's the thin Pipeline drive.

This sounds right although I'm unsure on specifics .. I think the theory is that single platter drives make less noise.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#35 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:18 AM

I'm satisfied with the 300 gb capacity of my HR20-700. It's usually well under 50% full but will occasionally go higher when there's a free premium movie channel weekend.

That said, one reason I'm not planning to switch to FiOS anytime soon is the small size of their DVR's hard disk. Another reason is that despite their come-on offers I really wouldn't save any money by switching.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#36 OFFLINE   nickff

nickff

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Don't forget 500GB is still a lot larger than cable offers. ComCrap still issues DVRS with 1##GB drives.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

Pioneer 141FD, Sony 52XBR3, LG 50" something-or-other
Denon 4311, Denon 2112
HR44, HR24, C41
SWM

#37 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:38 AM

Car manufacturers are able to markup the options a bunch, each sale is individually made with a salesman, etc. And even then you have two choices--take what is on the "lot" (which is bigger with dealer trades) or wait months for the car with the options you want to be made.

The whole car maker model is completely different than the mass production of consumer electronics model. Every penny (literally) counts.

Cheers,
Tom

Looks who's making moiney, DTV or the auto manufacturers.:D

#38 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,256 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:43 AM

Looks who's making moiney, DTV or the auto manufacturers.:D

:D

By the way, DIRECTV does allow the external option. Yes, it would be nice if completely supported, yet it can be done now. If there were larger hard drives inside, the larger the unused space by putting an external drive on... :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#39 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:49 AM

:D

By the way, DIRECTV does allow the external option. Yes, it would be nice if completely supported, yet it can be done now. If there were larger hard drives inside, the larger the unused space by putting an external drive on... :)

Cheers,
Tom

For $700 the OP can go to Weaknees and get an HR24 with a 2TB drive. 90 day warranty but then he is on his own.

#40 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

My thinking goes in the other direction...
Why not make a dvr with NO internal hard drive for those who would like to use a large esata drive? D* and customer could save some money and the customer wouldn't be wasting the internal hard drive.
This would really be nice if D* would ever allow esatas to be linked to a customer account as opposed to the dvr.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...