Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why didn't they put a 1TB+ drive in the HR24?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:47 AM

You are. The cost of the extra receiver.

Haha.....I work for the government, so I though there could some kind of fuzzy math going on!!!

Yep, missed the cost of the receiver!!!

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:18 AM

My options:

Time Warner = 160GB of MPEG2 ... not expandable. eek!
AT&T U-verse = 250GB of MPEG4 ... not expandable.
DirecTV = 500GB of MPEG4. Expandable.

After having Time Warner, having 500GB of MPEG4 storage on a DVR seems like an endless wasteland of capacity. We have two, and now with MRV I don't feel pinched for capacity at all. More storage would be nice, but I can see why DirecTV wouldn't feel that it's worth the added expense at this time.

#53 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

My options:

After having Time Warner, having 500GB of MPEG4 storage on a DVR seems like an endless wasteland of capacity. We have two, and now with MRV I don't feel pinched for capacity at all. More storage would be nice, but I can see why DirecTV wouldn't feel that it's worth the added expense at this time.

Not to nitpick, but...

DIRECTV = 400GB of MPEG4. Expandable.

#54 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

And of course Dishnetwork where you can use as many USB external drives to move video off of the internal drive.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#55 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,392 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

Because you are in the vast minority (think <1%) who feel the need to go beyond the recording capacity of the HR24 with a 500GB drive.

Heard that same line with computer memory decades ago.

Believe me, you put it out there, it will be used.

Me, I rather have 'em figure out a way to daisy chain HDs.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#56 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

Heard that same line with computer memory decades ago.

Believe me, you put it out there, it will be used.

Me, I rather have 'em figure out a way to daisy chain HDs.

Right, but it costs money to put it in there. Until a much greater percentage of users are demanding more capacity, there is no reason for DIRECTV to spend money to put a larger HDD in there.

#57 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

Right, but it costs money to put it in there. Until a much greater percentage of users are demanding more capacity, there is no reason for DIRECTV to spend money to put a larger HDD in there.

The key is to be able swap out a larger HD as an option when ordering. This way way you satisfied the bargain hunters and the premium buyers.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#58 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

The key is to be able swap out a larger HD as an option when ordering. This way way you satisfied the bargain hunters and the premium buyers.

Nope, that's an awful idea. Screws up the whole supply chain. As I said before, that creates more problems than it solves.

#59 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Nope, that's an awful idea. Screws up the whole supply chain. As I said before, that creates more problems than it solves.

I think I barely use 1% to 5% of my HR-22's Hard Drive.

#60 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,866 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:33 PM

....the rumored HMC-30....

Speaking of the HMC, is there any updates on this?

#61 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,974 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:29 PM

I tend to think it won't be customer demand but what the compition is doing. With the Dish's 922 coming with a 1TB drive, the door is now open. I believe it won't be long before you see bigger drives from DirecTV

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#62 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,839 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 01:56 PM

I think we will see a larger hard drive with the hmc30.. but even then, I don;t expect more than a 1tb...

#63 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

I found this while searching to see who still had the HR-24. It's an HR-24 with an expanded 1.5 Terabyte hard drive for $499.00.

http://www.weaknees....productid=60466

#64 ONLINE   mogulman

mogulman

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:35 PM

My thinking goes in the other direction...
Why not make a dvr with NO internal hard drive for those who would like to use a large esata drive? D* and customer could save some money and the customer wouldn't be wasting the internal hard drive.
This would really be nice if D* would ever allow esatas to be linked to a customer account as opposed to the dvr.

This make the most sense. Don't make an HD and an hddvr. Just make a single unit and then provide different options of hard drives or let people use their own.

It would probably be hard to control quality with different external drives being used though. One of the reasons why it would be good to have a 1tb internal drive.

#65 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:42 PM

^ Holy jockstrap, Batman. Can you say unsupported?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#66 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

This make the most sense. Don't make an HD and an hddvr. Just make a single unit and then provide different options of hard drives or let people use their own.

It would probably be hard to control quality with different external drives being used though. One of the reasons why it would be good to have a 1tb internal drive.

There are already quite a lot of 'DVR Expanders'.

http://www.google.co...R Expander&aq=f

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#67 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,282 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:44 PM

The problems with a "no-disk" solution are the same with any specialized model:
1) Too small of a market segment
2) Too much work to rebuild the entire supply chain

The "entire" DIRECTV DVR market is just large enough to get some economy of scale, but not nearly large enough to do specialized models.

I mean, do you see color variations in stereo receivers? TVs? There just isn't the market demand to support variations in the supply chain.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#68 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:26 PM

The problems with a "no-disk" solution are the same with any specialized model:
1) Too small of a market segment
2) Too much work to rebuild the entire supply chain

The "entire" DIRECTV DVR market is just large enough to get some economy of scale, but not nearly large enough to do specialized models.

I mean, do you see color variations in stereo receivers? TVs? There just isn't the market demand to support variations in the supply chain.

Cheers,
Tom

Color variations is considered cosmetic. Hard drives are hardware. Your same question - do you see variations in hardware. Just look at DVR Expanders - I generally see at least three variations - from a 1/2 Gb to 2 Gb.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#69 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:56 PM

My options:

I couldn't imagine going back to crappy comcast mpeg2 over compressed low quality picture. Not only that the hard drive is soooo small. I did get a DCX3400 before I left comcast which I think had a 320 in it. 500 stock for dtv is still worlds ahead of cable. However I don't even put cable & sat in category anymore. I checked our comcast lineup here and it's EXACTLY the same as when I left last fall. 30 some HD channels over compressed mpeg2. They are finally shutting off analog in my market, however I don't really care anymore. Way to go comcast! I do however love there internet service. Docsis 3 rocks

#70 OFFLINE   scottjf8

scottjf8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:17 PM

I now have 2 HR24's in my house and MRV. If I ever go above what those 2 can record, keep a ton of stuff, and still run out of room, I need a life. I should NEVER run out of space now.

#71 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,001 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 May 2010 - 11:23 PM

I mean, do you see color variations in stereo receivers? TVs?

Several stereo receivers are available in a K (black) and S (silver/argent) model designation.

The point remains that DIRECTV doesn't want to differentiate the models (perhaps because refurbs play such a huge role in their supply chain) and that's why it isn't going to happen. Now that the competition has moved to a similar singular model, the impetus to diversify has all but gone away.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#72 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:34 AM

I now have 2 HR24's in my house and MRV. If I ever go above what those 2 can record, keep a ton of stuff, and still run out of room, I need a life. I should NEVER run out of space now.

Actually, bigger hard drives are more useful to people with a life. Whose drives do you think have the most recordings on them--those who watch tv 8 hours a day, or those who have other things to do such as vacations, hobbies or work commitments?
When we go on vacation, we may have two or three weeks worth of recordings being done while we are gone. It may take a while to catch up, and while doing that, other recordings are being saved to the hard drive(s).
Take today, for example. If you are going out on a picknick, you may want to record both the Indy 500 and the Coca-Cola 600. That's going to take up a lot of room. If you were finishing a two week vacation tomorrow, add today's recording and that of the previous two weeks which include several season finales, and you may find that you have used more space than you anticipated.
I have a 1T esata on one of my dvrs that I try to schedule as many one-time events (races and NFL) as possible on, but I still end up using the other two to balance conflicts.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#73 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,282 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

Color variations is considered cosmetic. Hard drives are hardware. Your same question - do you see variations in hardware. Just look at DVR Expanders - I generally see at least three variations - from a 1/2 Gb to 2 Gb.

Yes, but they are really just hard drives that can be used for any computer system.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#74 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 818 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

Because you are in the vast minority (think <1%) who feel the need to go beyond the recording capacity of the HR24 with a 500GB drive.

And yet Tivo sells a 1tb version of their product, and they've sold a very significant number of them. There are also a handful of DVR expander products from a variety of manufacturers that also seem to sell very well.

So apparently there is a market for it, and its quite profitable since Tivo sells the 1tb unit for a couple of hundred bucks more than their base unit, and the dvr expander folks get about $50 more than the drive and enclosure would sell for.

#75 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

So apparently there is a market for it, and its quite profitable since Tivo sells the 1tb unit for a couple of hundred bucks more than their base unit, and the dvr expander folks get about $50 more than the drive and enclosure would sell for.

People arent willing to pay the going rate for a unit($99-$299 depending on acct status) with a 500GB drive in it now, based on that info, its hard to believe they would be willing to pay extra for a unit with a larger drive....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...