Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why didn't they put a 1TB+ drive in the HR24?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   uteotw

uteotw

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

Slightly off topic, but if I order a new HD-DVR, will I get an HR24? Just have the HR20 now and would like to move that to my new smaller LCD and upgrade to the HR24 on the main plasma. Thanks~

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

Slightly off topic, but if I order a new HD-DVR, will I get an HR24? Just have the HR20 now and would like to move that to my new smaller LCD and upgrade to the HR24 on the main plasma. Thanks~

There is no accurate way to predict what you'll get.

If you really to be certain, order from an online retailer or pick one up if you see one.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#83 OFFLINE   rmnowick

rmnowick

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

Hi Guys,
New to DirecTv after having been a sub about 5 years ago. Just received a new HR24-500, and looking to add the external e-sata drive being discussed in this thread. Well, sometimes mentioned is more appropriate, since the discussion seems to be about why it might not be needed :)

My understanding is that the external drive replaces the internal drive once you add it. I did this to my Series 3 Tivo, but it was so long ago that I don't remember what size drive I ended up adding. I saw a link earlier for a "DVR Expander" search on Google. If someone could recommend a 1TB or 2TB e-sata drive I would appreciate it. I'm a computer guy, so dropping the bare drive into an enclosure and then connecting it is no problem if that would save me a few $. Any enclosure references would also be appreciated. Apologies in advance if this is in another thread already.

Robert

#84 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:46 AM

My understanding is that the external drive replaces the internal drive once you add it.

The external drive does indeed take over for as long as it is plugged in.

It is just like getting a new DVR so make sure you make notes of your programming preferences.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#85 OFFLINE   rmnowick

rmnowick

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

Ok,
Found the e-sata thread. I ordered the MX-1 case and the WD15EVDS drive. Arrives on Friday 2 day shipping from Amazon. Just in case someone else ends up here when looking for this.

Robert

#86 OFFLINE   klambert

klambert

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

500gb still puts them at the top of the heap for standard units, isn't the upper level THX tivo the only one with 1TB? You can always esata.

To me, the big question 500 vs. 1TB, but more how so many cable companies get away with really tiny hard drives AND intentionally disabling the esata port so you can't expand it.

#87 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

500gb still puts them at the top of the heap for standard units, isn't the upper level THX tivo the only one with 1TB? You can always esata.

To me, the big question 500 vs. 1TB, but more how so many cable companies get away with really tiny hard drives AND intentionally disabling the esata port so you can't expand it.

I belive the ViP 922 has a 1TB.

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#88 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,344 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

I belive the ViP 922 has a 1TB.

Mike

That's correct, but user space limited to same amount as for 500 GB inside of 722/722k and [user] updated 622. Other provider though.

#89 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

Ok,
Found the e-sata thread. I ordered the MX-1 case and the WD15EVDS drive. Arrives on Friday 2 day shipping from Amazon. Just in case someone else ends up here when looking for this.

Robert

I am in the same boat; was a sub 3 years ago and just got back to D*. Had Comcast with an external 1TB drive; worked great for 3 years.

But why would you want to add the 1 TB drive now? I am planning to add one when I get 50-70% full. That should happen right about next spring when I record shows and not watch them until the summer. I assume (incorrectly??) you can still access all the shows on the internal drive.

#90 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,396 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:08 AM

I assume (incorrectly??) you can still access all the shows on the internal drive.

Yes that is incorrect.
A.K.A VOS

#91 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

High tech and loving it.

• Super Moderators
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

I am in the same boat; was a sub 3 years ago and just got back to D*. Had Comcast with an external 1TB drive; worked great for 3 years.

But why would you want to add the 1 TB drive now? I am planning to add one when I get 50-70% full. That should happen right about next spring when I record shows and not watch them until the summer. I assume (incorrectly??) you can still access all the shows on the internal drive.

The shows on the internal drive continue to exist, tho you can only access them when the external drive is not attached, unfortunately. So you can go back and forth by rebooting the system.

Cheers,
Tom
Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#92 OFFLINE   patg25

patg25

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

The shows on the internal drive continue to exist, tho you can only access them when the external drive is not attached, unfortunately. So you can go back and forth by rebooting the system.

Cheers,
Tom

Ah - I was not aware of that one. Wow. Even my crappy SA 8300 could access either the internal or external drive for shows. OK, that means I may add a 1 TB drive before the fall season starts. On the other hand, 100 hours of HD really should be enough. I'll just record all those reality shows my family likes in SD :hurah:

#93 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

I've come to look at hard drive space the same way I look at closet space.

The more you have the the junk you'll collect.

I'm sure if you ask D* about it these days they will say we've rolled out the cure for small drive space issues, MRV.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#94 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

Ah - I was not aware of that one. Wow. Even my crappy SA 8300 could access either the internal or external drive for shows. OK, that means I may add a 1 TB drive before the fall season starts. On the other hand, 100 hours of HD really should be enough. I'll just record all those reality shows my family likes in SD :hurah:

And so do the E* VIP Series of HD DVR you can access either. But D* does seem to go their own way. Design by Committee.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#95 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

I think honestly, it's just not a huge deal. What percentage of DVR users actually need so much space that an off-the-shelf eSATA isn't going to suffice and they are going to want to supplement it with another 500GB of space. 1%? Less?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#96 OFFLINE   torre39601

torre39601

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

Are we still looking at 4 qtr 2010 on HMC-30?

#97 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:31 PM

That's correct, but user space limited to same amount as for 500 GB inside of 722/722k and [user] updated 622. Other provider though.

thats not entirely true, on my 922 during testing I filled up the HD and it came to just over 200 hours of HD.

Also if your picky enough to want more space on your HR24 (like myself) your probally savy enough to upgrade the hard drive to whatever you want including a 2TB.

#98 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,344 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

Different measuring units: hours vs GB.

#99 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,288 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

I've read it will be a 2 TB on the HMC...

What is this HMC some of you are speaking of? Where can I find more on it? Is it a D* DVR that may be coming?

#100 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:32 AM

What is this HMC some of you are speaking of? Where can I find more on it? Is it a D* DVR that may be coming?

The forum search feature is your friend:

http://www.dbstalk.c...2&highlight=HMC

And from October 2005:

http://www.dbstalk.c...5&highlight=HMC

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

spam firewall