Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why didn't they put a 1TB+ drive in the HR24?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   oldbamaguy

oldbamaguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

My 2 cents worth concerning the "less than 1%" of increased memory users - I wonder just what percentage of DirecTV users know that you can increase the system's capacity by adding an eSATA? Or how many can afford it in these times and how many could do the job themselves?
I found out one day surfing here about eSATAs and in less than a week I had one up and running. I had never heard the term terabyte or SATA before that. Perhaps the "traditional" user would record more and save more if they knew there was a way to do it.
I think that "the percentage" should be of knowing capable users who decline to increase system memory. THAT is the percentage I would be concerned about.
Have A GREAT DAY!!
ed
Eniwetok Atoll 1958
and I was There!!

Two HR20-100s, a HR21-100 and a HR22NC-100, four 2tb eSATAs, four non-beeping UPSs, a Zinwell MS6X8WB-Z, router-modem, Windows 7 PC/Wii feeding a 32" Visio, a Windows Vista/Ubuntu Linux dual boot PC, local p2p network

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

I doubled my storage space by leasing a second DVR. The only cost is $5 extra per month plus, of course, we can now watch all our DirecTV channels in both rooms.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#103 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

and how many could do the job themselves?

Even my 65 year old mother can connect an external drive herself. Most people just don't know you can do it.

#104 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,170 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:52 AM

Personally, I'm ticked that DirecTV didn't install a 1 Zettabyte drive in this thing! I would have at least settled for a 1 Petabyte or 1 Exabyte drive, though.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#105 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:52 AM

Agree. That really bytes that they were so short sighted doesn't it.

#106 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

Just wondering what kind of sense it makes to put a 500GB drive in the HR24?

This is Directv's newest receiver. I'm assuming its supposed to be THE hd DVR receiver for the next few years. With so many people putting 1T+ drives attached to their DVR on the older drives from 2007, why didn't they put a 1TB or higher drive in the HR24?

The thing we all forget is that $20 per unit is a huge number when you render a million of them to the market.

While 500GB internally is quite substantial for most people...I agree that a 1TB or even 2TB drive is nice, but you can accomplish that with an eSata if its personally important.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#107 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:08 AM

The only cost is $5 extra per month plus, of course, we can now watch all our DirecTV channels in both rooms.

Plus the lease entry fee and a commitment extension.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#108 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:13 AM

The thing we all forget is that $20 per unit is a huge number when you render a million of them to the market.

While 500GB internally is quite substantial for most people...I agree that a 1TB or even 2TB drive is nice, but you can accomplish that with an eSata if its personally important.

While I agree with you on most things...

Since D* leverages the purchase price from 90% of their customers in one way or another ($200) and in the end winds up getting the hardware back, I say fooey to the added cost. LOL.

I think the real problem is they dont want to support 10 models each with 3 different drive sizes. and for that I cant blame them.

I think D* should consider this again. In the past they had PRO models, I think they should leverage that history to bring our a HR24 based pro model with a 2 TB drive for pricing similar to the pro's of yester year.

#109 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Are we still looking at 4 qtr 2010 on HMC-30?

maybe, but it could be 1 qtr 2011 ... don't really know at this point.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#110 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

The forum search feature is your friend:

http://www.dbstalk.c...2&highlight=HMC

And from October 2005:

http://www.dbstalk.c...5&highlight=HMC

ignore the second link .. that product is dead.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#111 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

Plus the lease entry fee and a commitment extension.

which is often $0 and not an issue for long time DIRECTV subscribers ..

#112 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,704 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

ignore the second link .. that product is dead.

HMC is dead?

#113 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

Think he was referring to the PC Card DirecTv receiver version for Media Center. That one is dead.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#114 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

HMC is dead?

The original one...an updated HMC30 is alive and on the drawing board for late 2010 or early 2011....or so they showed and told at CES...

#115 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

The original one...an updated HMC30 is alive and on the drawing board for late 2010 or early 2011....or so they showed and told at CES...

I'm recalling that DIRECTV made no official mention of the HMC30 during/at CES. Instead, a prototype was spied in the Entropic booth. DIRECTV seems to have only officially mentioned the subsequent HMC concept in financial presentations.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ight=HMC30 DECA

DIRECTV very publicly announced a similar timeframe (time relative) for the original HMC during the 2005 CES.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=47405

Both the concept and the apparent demise of the HDPC-20 were given press releases.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#116 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:15 AM

I'm recalling that DIRECTV made no official mention of the HMC30 during/at CES. Instead, a prototype was spied in the Entropic booth. DIRECTV seems to have only officially mentioned the subsequent HMC concept in financial presentations.

DIRECTV very publicly announced a similar timeframe (time relative) for the original HMC during the 2005 CES.

Both the concept and the apparent demise of the HDPC-20 were given press releases.

The point from multiple folks now is that these were not the very same technology, nor devices, as shown/announced several years apart.

The HDPC20 never got much further past the lab testing bench.

The most recent unit had a working prototype, and a senior DirecTV engineer onsite at CES stated it would be released late in 2010 or early 2011. In addition, there have been 2 financial presentations done since January that also referenced its existence and planned release.

Dwelling on anything from 5 years ago seems silly, when we have current information, visual exposure, and confirmed information.

I've got a $20 bill sitting on my counter here betting it will be released as stated. Feel free to wager in contrast....I'd welcome the easy money. :D

#117 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

Interesting that you keep bringing this up .. let me spell it out in clear concise words for you ..

The HMC shown in 2005 is DEAD .. will not be built .. has been filed in File 13.

The HDPC-20 is DEAD .. will not be built

The HMC shown in 2010 (and shown by DIRECTV employees at the Entropic booth) is alive and well .. I expect it to be available in late 2010 or early 2011 but no official time table has been announced.

So I can say with certainty that there is no reason for you to continue bringing up the 2005 HMC .. It is DEAD and is one of the vaporware products that companies sometimes (often?) produce. Most of the time DIRECTV hits the mark and they try to be very conservative with announcements often announcing things AFTER it's actually hit the market. (new HD for example) .. Still things happen like the HMC you keep bringing up. But really, it's DEAD .. It's unrelated to the HMC shown this past year @ CES.

#118 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

Since you seem to have missed my point, I'll lay it out.

DIRECTV made much the same promises on a much grander scale before and eventually scrapped the projects as you point out. While prior performance isn't a clear indicator, it does give some strong hints.

In combination with calling MRV the "Whole Home DVR Service", it should at least make one wonder why they didn't reserve that honor for the client-server setup.

#119 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

Just wondering what kind of sense it makes to put a 500GB drive in the HR24?

This is Directv's newest receiver. I'm assuming its supposed to be THE hd DVR receiver for the next few years. With so many people putting 1T+ drives attached to their DVR on the older drives from 2007, why didn't they put a 1TB or higher drive in the HR24?

Coming back to the first post...

Considering most HD DVRs for DirecTV had 320GB drives..the 500GB is an increase. If you look at other providers, its not unusual to see 160, 200, or 320 GB drives in those units. Again, having 500GB is more.

I'd agree that a 1TB drive in the HR24 might be nice to have, and likely, there will be some folks who even would desire a 2TB drive for these units.

That said, what we tend to forget at times is that many of us do not represent the general population, in terms of HD DVR use or requirements. We tend to adopt "bigger, fast, more" when compared to the majority of DirecTV HD DVR users out there. There's nothing wrong with that...but these devices are targeted at "the average user"...whatever that may be.

As for the reasoning....don't poo poo the cost difference so quickly. Every dollar in higher costs represents a potential $1 Million (or more) when you look at the HD DVR user base. I suspect that the "needs" of the market to have the added cost didn't warrant the return on that investment.

eSata can support either of those sizes for the 1-3% of the user population that will prefer larger storage. I'm guessing that's how DirecTV viewed things too.

#120 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

Since you seem to have missed my point, I'll lay it out.

DIRECTV made much the same promises on a much grander scale before and eventually scrapped the projects as you point out. While prior performance isn't a clear indicator, it does give some strong hints.

In combination with calling MRV the "Whole Home DVR Service", it should at least make one wonder why they didn't reserve that honor for the client-server setup.

My confidence level is simply a lot higher than yours apparently .. It's great that you want to be negative about it, but I'll be happy to serve you some crow in a few months .. ;)

As for the "name" .. why can't "whole home" also cover the client-server setup? Just because technologies are different doesn't necessarily mean that the marketing has to be.

spam firewall