Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Antenna Modification?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ivtec

Ivtec

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:06 PM

Hi guys; i just got an Outdoor Ota antenna similar (bellow link pic) and my question is?.since i only get 3 channels (VHF High) 14 and 22 miles and the rest are (UHF) 12 to 42 miles from the Towers,
Do i really need all the long elements since it states in the antenna info you only need the larger elements if one gets VHF low,since only have VHF High.
if i cut at least half the antenna will it be still be good for my setup,since antenna is too long, and cause of winds. thanks in advance.

http://www.crutchfie....&ssi=0&tp=3261

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:56 PM

Your link doesnt work, so without seeing which antenna model it is, and whether the elements are parasitic, active, or a combination, its hard to advise.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:08 PM

I can't see your antenna, but I can tell you what I did. I'm in a similar situation: my locals are channel 9 and UHF. So I bought an Antennacraft AC-9 and removed the largest element. See picture of the original antenna here: http://www.antennacraft.net/AC9.html

In my case the last, longest element was a reflector. The modified antenna works great.

#4 OFFLINE   Ivtec

Ivtec

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 07:59 PM

Try this>

http://www.crutchfie...aster-3020.html

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

Yes, you could lose the last three elements, and shorten the boom, move the mast mounting point (since removing the last three elements and boom will cause the weight shift point to move forward), and you should be good to go. If you do that, remove the criss crossed matching wires that connect to those last three elements as well, right behind the last element you leave on the boom.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

I would be wary of altering an antenna by removing elements purposely.

Antennas are designed as a package, so removing reflectors might severely lower the performance.

If you do not need VHF low elements, buy an antenna already made that way, such as the Winegard 769X series.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#7 OFFLINE   CoramDeo

CoramDeo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:05 PM

Winegard makes a "769" series of OTAs that are essentially the same as their big combination VHF/UHF OTAs except with the VHF-low elements being "cut" or removed. Makes for a much slimmer OTA. I have a Winegard HD8200P that I bought a few years before the digital transition. It's HUGE... I call it "Skylab 2" but it can reliably lock on stations 60+ miles away.

http://www.winegard....hf-antennas.php

Protected By... spam firewall...And...