Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR24 DECA Help!

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

Well, since the whole idea of getting connected home is so it's supported, and it's still under warrenty I'd recommend just calling DirecTV for a service call to fix whatever the problem is.

Read above...the DirecTV service techs were here for five hours trying to fix it and gave up.....they will be back next week with a new HR24 to try....I'm going to call and see if I can get one drop shipped quicker....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:33 PM

You don't have MAC filtering enabled by any chance? Just checking.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#43 OFFLINE   ReachTwo

ReachTwo

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:47 PM

They didn't have an HR24 with them, they said they will bring a new one out next week and try again....

I am convinced that your HR-24 is defective.. Probably something that can not be fixed by rebooting, restarting, etc. Most likely a built-in DECA hardware issue. Sometimes, brand new items do not work the way they are suppose to.

#44 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,241 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

Read above...the DirecTV service techs were here for five hours trying to fix it and gave up.....they will be back next week with a new HR24 to try....I'm going to call and see if I can get one drop shipped quicker....

If the tech said he would return with a new HR24, I would go that route. There is no word yet on how DirecTV will work the replacement of an HR24 as the current policy is to just replace with a like style receiver HR2x for HR2x. By waiting for the tech, you are guaranteeing that you will get an HR24.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#45 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

You could try moving the HR24 to a location where one of the other DECAs are working. That way you could rule out any problems with the DECA signal getting to that location.

#46 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:48 PM

Before I had an adapter on my HR24-500 I use the ethernet too. The only way to switch from ethernet back to coax was to remove power form the STB for several minutes, then restart it with the coax only connect (removing the ethernet before applying power; audio video connections can be made). Once I did that it came to coax. Out of curiosity, what does your wiring map look like for RF and the DECA?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#47 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,674 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

I would disconnect all the other receivers and just work on setting up the HR24. Then add one receiver at a time.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#48 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:34 AM

Before I had an adapter on my HR24-500 I use the ethernet too. The only way to switch from ethernet back to coax was to remove power form the STB for several minutes, then restart it with the coax only connect (removing the ethernet before applying power; audio video connections can be made). Once I did that it came to coax. Out of curiosity, what does your wiring map look like for RF and the DECA?

I unplugged the box for 20 minutes, restarted with the coax connected, nothing. It just won't see DECA. My wiring map is:

SWiM SL-5 to SWiM 8 port splitter (all green labeled)
one output to HR24 with PI
one output to HR21-100 with DECA Adapter
one output to HR20-700 with DECA Adapter
one output to H24 no adapter.
one output to Deca/Internet adapter connected to my router

The H24, HR20, and HR21 all talk to each other and are connected to the internet. The HR24 is the only problem child.....

#49 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:37 AM

If the tech said he would return with a new HR24, I would go that route. There is no word yet on how DirecTV will work the replacement of an HR24 as the current policy is to just replace with a like style receiver HR2x for HR2x. By waiting for the tech, you are guaranteeing that you will get an HR24.

- Merg

Merg...that is what I am going to do. These were really good installers, I was the 10 DECA install they have done, and the first with an HR24 and the first that was a "Beta" tester before.

BTW, they told me their policy is (they are DirecTV employees not contract) that all HR20, HR21, HR23 are even in their mind when it comes to replacement of defective equipment. The HR24 is different. Their policy is only to switch the HR24 with an HR24. Maybe something with their office, but it was nice to hear.

#50 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:39 AM

I am convinced that your HR-24 is defective.. Probably something that can not be fixed by rebooting, restarting, etc. Most likely a built-in DECA hardware issue. Sometimes, brand new items do not work the way they are suppose to.

Me too, at this point I have given up. At least the receiver works and I can watch TV, I'll have to live without MRV for a week...well six days....

Thanks for the help everyone.....I will post results next Friday when they return......

#51 OFFLINE   wildbill129

wildbill129

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:11 AM

You guys won't believe this. I let it go for the last 8 hours or so, had some friends over and watched the UFC fight...GO RASHAD!!! I digress.....

Came back here , checked the updates from you guys, and decided to do everything again. Re-did satellite setup, again, rebooted, again, and now it's working!!!! I don't get it, why now and not six hours ago? I'll hold off on cancelling the tech's return visit on Friday until I make sure it works for a few days...maybe I just needed violence and alcohol to clear my head...!

#52 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:18 AM

Glad it is working now :)

#53 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:06 AM

You guys won't believe this. I let it go for the last 8 hours or so, had some friends over and watched the UFC fight...GO RASHAD!!! I digress.....

Came back here , checked the updates from you guys, and decided to do everything again. Re-did satellite setup, again, rebooted, again, and now it's working!!!! I don't get it, why now and not six hours ago? I'll hold off on cancelling the tech's return visit on Friday until I make sure it works for a few days...maybe I just needed violence and alcohol to clear my head...!

If I had to take a guess, probably the DHCP IP lease "expired", the HR24 went looking for a renewal and found that it was connected via coax vs cat5.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#54 OFFLINE   glanzone

glanzone

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

I was having same problem. Remove the DECA unit and still use the SWIM cable from SWIM to box, bypass the DECA and it works now. Hope this helps

spam firewall