Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is Something amiss with these new 24-500 receivers!!!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:00 PM

As another post has referenced why are the two HR24-500 losing sound when going from HD to Standard definition? Also, the HDMI Splitter that worked almost flawlessly with my 2 Samsung tv's no longer works for either one. Upon further inspection using the info key on the TV remotes both TV's are reporting no timing information is being sent out with the signal. Has anyone else who is using a splitter and HR24-500 receivers having this problem also or is this just a software fix (CE) that I have missed? I'm still running on 0x3ba and have missed 2 CE's since my install.

The problem with the loss of sound occurs even when running a straight HDMI line to the TV from the Sat Receiver when changing from a HD program to a Standard def program and then I have to go in and monkey around with the resolution settings to watch current program.

I hear all kinds of praise for this receiver as "being the Cadaillac" of receivers with only a few minor quirks. Rendering my bedroom TV useless is more than a minor quirk for me and to be forced to purchase another receiver and install in order to get it back is not a quirk at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

Mine is running thru a Denon AVR via HDMI, and I see audio dropouts rarely, but they do happen. The rcvr is new, and as with all from Dish and Directv, it'll prob take a good 6 months to really fine tune it.

Compared to what we've had, this is a "Cadillac".
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 12:55 PM

The HR24-500 does do something differently with HDMI. When using it through my DVDO video processor straight through, the TV turns to a green picture for about two seconds during a channel change, whereas, the HR22 and HR20 dont.
If I enable the "Block HDCP for unencrypted channels" the unit switches channels instantly with no green screen.
I suspect they added some HDCP stuff in the HR24 that isnt present/working/active on the other boxes.

#4 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 02:12 PM

I am running HDMI from my HR24-500 to my Samsung LCD and then Optical Digital Audio to my Denon AVR5803 and I Experience No Audio Dropouts so perhaps this Issue is totally related to an HDMI Bug in the Software for the HR24.

I do have a problem when I turn off my LCD I lose Audio but now it seems to have been fixed but others have said that after so many minutes (like 10 minutes) it will lose the Audio.

I haven't had time to try it as I am on vacation but I will when I get back.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   ktm250

ktm250

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:37 PM

Seeing how we are talking HDMI problems (I also believe that there is a problem with it), I will add the one that I am seeing. My old HR21 and my son's HR23 hooked up through hdmi to our Samsung tv's will cause our HDMI Black Level settings to be grayed out. I was told that this means that you are running full range out of the hdmi and the receiver is controlling the black level. My HR24 does not do this and the picture on my old HR21 is better then the HR24.
richierich you mention a HDMI Bug in the Software for the HR24. Do you have any more info on that?

#6 OFFLINE   Bruce W

Bruce W

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

I also have issues with HDMI on the HR-24. As I posted in the software thread for the HR-24, I get a message saying I cannot use the HDMI output. I have it through a four port switch and out to my 50" rear screen Mitsubishi's DVI port. There is no pattern to how often I get the messages on screen. Sometimes it's an eye blink, and sometimes I can actually read the message. I chimed in because my sound is also digital optical out to my entertainment center and I'm not having any issues at all with sound, and I have Dolby Digital active. Maybe the sound issue some are having is related to the HDMI as mentioned earlier.

#7 OFFLINE   Robert L

Robert L

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

The HR24-500 does do something differently with HDMI. When using it through my DVDO video processor straight through, the TV turns to a green picture for about two seconds during a channel change, whereas, the HR22 and HR20 dont.
If I enable the "Block HDCP for unencrypted channels" the unit switches channels instantly with no green screen.
I suspect they added some HDCP stuff in the HR24 that isnt present/working/active on the other boxes.

Just curious if you use HDMI audio and if so, do you lose the audio after the display is turned off, going through the DVDO. If you use a audio receiver of course. That appears to be a issue, but some say it might take 10 minutes. I was wondering if the DVDO might keep that from happening.

Also, is there a difference in video levels coming out of the HR24? Since another user, KTM250 is saying it appears to be different. I would hope beta testers or anyone would instantly see if the video levels were expanded, instead of limited (video) as they should be.
3- HR20-700, 2-HR24-500, Native on, 5- Networked (wired), FIOS, Slimline dish, Swm-16,HD receiver for music
Various displays & projectors, using HDMI

#8 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:19 PM

Just a little more elaboration on my previous post, the HDMI splitter I am using is the Gefen TV 1:4 HDMI 1.3 splitter which is a/v and said to be HDCP compliant. I am losing the audio through HDMI connecting to my TV only for now, I have't branched out to even check the TOS connection to my receiver because I didn't get that far yet. Now as soon as I disconnect the other cable from the Gefen, which goes to my TV upstairs in the bedroom all comes back fine but can not be the cable or splitter alone because this setup worked fine with my HR20-700 a week ago. Something has change and I can't figure it out.

#9 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

The HR24's are probably still just in need of a few firmware updates. No reason to panic.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#10 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

I have a HR24-500 HDMI connected to a Samsung LN-S4696D and don't have issues with audio dropping when going between HD and SD channels like the OP reported for what it's worth.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#11 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:29 PM

I have a HR24-500 HDMI connected to a Samsung LN-S4696D and don't have issues with audio dropping when going between HD and SD channels like the OP reported for what it's worth.

But is that signal coming out of your receiver and being split through and HDMI splitter? That is where my problem is happening, I can run an HDMI connection off the 24-500 to my 63" Samsung Plasma or My 32" LCD Samsung independantly (one at a time) with no problem but when that signal is passed through a splitter it's either or but not both. It saves me from having to buy another receiver for my smaller bedroom set.

#12 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

The problem with the loss of sound occurs even when running a straight HDMI line to the TV from the Sat Receiver when changing from a HD program to a Standard def program and then I have to go in and monkey around with the resolution settings to watch current program.

But is that signal coming out of your receiver and being split through and HDMI splitter? That is where my problem is happening, I can run an HDMI connection off the 24-500 to my 63" Samsung Plasma or My 32" LCD Samsung independantly (one at a time) with no problem but when that signal is passed through a splitter it's either or but not both. It saves me from having to buy another receiver for my smaller bedroom set.

I was just replying to this part of your OP about loosing sound even when running a straight HDMI lint to the TV from STB.

It could be that since HDMI is a two way interface that the HR24's are getting confused with the splitter telling it two different things from your two TV's.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#13 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:24 PM

I was just replying to this part of your OP about loosing sound even when running a straight HDMI lint to the TV from STB.

It could be that since HDMI is a two way interface that the HR24's are getting confused with the splitter telling it two different things from your two TV's.

Yea sorry about that first quote, that was incorrect, i guess I had myself so riled up with all the switching of cables I've been doing that I lost track of what was hook to what. Straight though is working fine from Sat to TV, I have it isolated down to the splitter but can't figure out what has changed because nothing is different from this setup as it was with my functioning
HR20-700 setup except for the obvious (new receiver, now single wire and DECA. I'm hoping a new CE will adress the problem but it doesn't really seem anyone is aware of this being a problem or has faced this scenerio yet so I don't know.

#14 OFFLINE   djrobx

djrobx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:38 AM

I am running HDMI from my HR24-500 to my Samsung LCD and then Optical Digital Audio to my Denon AVR5803 and I Experience No Audio Dropouts so perhaps this Issue is totally related to an HDMI Bug in the Software for the HR24.

No. My HR24 drops audio frequently to my Sony AV receiver, connected through the optical output. It dropped once typing this actually! I really hope it will be fixed with a product update.

#15 OFFLINE   jstutman

jstutman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:47 AM

My AVR has 2 HDMI inputs so I use a Monoprice HDMI switch. Yesterday I noticed it loosing the handshake, but today I did not notice no problems.

The funny thing is, it is not happening when I watch a recorded video. Just live tv

#16 OFFLINE   Richard L Bray

Richard L Bray

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:02 AM

How do you do that?

#17 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,420 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:28 AM

[...] I suspect they added some HDCP stuff in the HR24 that isnt present/working/active on the other boxes.

I wonder if the HR24's support HDMI 1.4 and the 21/22/23's HDMI 1.3, and whatever is different in the spec may be causing issues?
/steve

#18 OFFLINE   Mrmiami

Mrmiami

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

I wonder if the HR24's support HDMI 1.4 and the 21/22/23's HDMI 1.3, and whatever is different in the spec may be causing issues?

Hmm, didn't think of that angle that would be a shame b/c I just bought a whole new bunch of HDMI 1.3 cables from 1 maker thinking my problem had something to do with that. So I reinvested in all quality cables of various lenghts to redo all my hookups but so far that has not fixed the HDMI splitter problem.

#19 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,420 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:55 AM

Hmm, didn't think of that angle that would be a shame b/c I just bought a whole new bunch of HDMI 1.3 cables from 1 maker thinking my problem had something to do with that. So I reinvested in all quality cables of various lenghts to redo all my hookups but so far that has not fixed the HDMI splitter problem.

Even if I'm right, I would think the 1.4 spec is backwards-compatible, so your cables shouldn't be an issue. Don't forget, most legacy displays or receivers you'd be connecting to would not be 1.4 compatible either. Nothing I own is, AFAIK.
/steve

#20 OFFLINE   ktm250

ktm250

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:33 AM

Looks like I finally found the correct thread to be in. RAD i see that you have a Samsung tv hooked to your 24, I am assuming that you menu's a similar to my UN46B8500. Can you go into your Picture Options Settings and look at you HDMI Black Level setting and tell me if it is grayed out?
Thanks

spam firewall