Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Deca vs Ethernet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
405 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

In order to use MVR, do I need to connect the boxes to the internet?

In order to use MRV, they need to be networked, but don't need to have internet access.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#402 OFFLINE   leww37334

leww37334

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

GIMP, well that doesn't make sense, I was replying to the "can't afford Photoshop comment" and hit the wrong button
“Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone.” - Ayn Rand

#403 OFFLINE   gr8ful

gr8ful

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Most home ethernet (hardwired) have 200Mb of dedicated bandwidth between the client and host. from the looks of it above that DECA is designed to function flawlessly with as little as 17mbs of bandwidth.

One of us is very consufused. "Most home ethernet have 200mb..."? Where did that number come from? I've been running gigabit for years. Any equipment purchased in the last few years is gigabit. DECA purports to run at 250 mbs. And the days of hubs are long over. Any switch gigabit you buy isolates traffic at each port, so DECA's similar feature is redundant for hard-wired homes and apartments.

As for the unsupported claims that "MoCA admits it is slower than gigabit", I did find a nice comparison

This shows gigabit blows away Moca quite easily.

#404 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

One of us is very consufused. "Most home ethernet have 200mb..."? Where did that number come from? I've been running gigabit for years. Any equipment purchased in the last few years is gigabit. DECA purports to run at 250 mbs. And the days of hubs are long over. Any switch gigabit you buy isolates traffic at each port, so DECA's similar feature is redundant for hard-wired homes and apartments.

As for the unsupported claims that "MoCA admits it is slower than gigabit", I did find a nice comparison

Most home network routers today are still 100m/b. While desktops nowadays usually come with gigabit cards in them, most people don't have a full gigabit setup. As techie I am, I still don't have a gigabit setup to include my router, which is a Linksys WRT160N.

And once again, you realize this thread is 3-1/2 years old, right?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#405 ONLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,831 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

100 MB full duplex can be read as 200 MB depending on the marketing brochure you are reading :grin:  And yes in *most* all the technical aspects a well set up switched Ethernet service is technically superior in terms of speed and scalability *BUT* (and I am a customer that leverages BOTH DECA and my hardwired switched Ethernet in my excessive Direct TV infrastructure)

Direct TV has created their own environment for largely supportability reasons. Having a controlled known infrastructure means they can focus on being an entertainment service provider and not have to become technicians for all the variables that exist in home networking products and implementations today.

For all purposes in my home infrastructure the different fabrics are indistinguishable in use and bridge completely transparently but I could not expect a Direct TV installer to understand troubleshooting my 4 WAPs, plus 7 work group switches feeding a central backbone switch serving up to 43 concurrent devices.

So DECA is for their purposes superior, End of the day, it matters not which is technically better. For their services, subscriber base, and technical staffing DECA is better for them as a corporate entity.

Don "to argue the technology itself is moot, it works, and is easily supportable cross a broad range of installations" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#406 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

This is the second 3 1/2 year old thread that has been dragged back up today.

DECA is what DirecTV supports and had now for years.

As with the other thread, it's time to let this die.

A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...