Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is an HMC30

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   topgun80

topgun80

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

My search results turn up very little if any information. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

My search results turn up very little if any information. Thanks.

The HMC30 is the product number for DirecTV's next-generation Whole-home DVR system. The HMC30 is supposed to be a main DVR, serving about or up to 4 different remote locations via a DirecTV remote viewing unit or via some TVs with the hardware built-in.

This post has some preliminary information on the HMC30:
http://www.dbstalk.c...highlight=HMC30

Also check out this article on Engadget HD which has a video of the technology in action:
http://hd.engadget.c...o-another-room/
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#3 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

http://www.google.co...v hmc30&spell=1

It looks like a neat concept, but there has been a lot of effort and money directed to MRC and DECA and I have to wonder how that affects the market for a whole home server.

Edited by Barry in Conyers, 31 May 2010 - 07:41 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,938 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

http://www.google.co...v hmc30&spell=1

It looks like a neat concept, but there has been a lot of effort and money directed to MRC and DECA and I have to wonder how that affects the market for a whole home server.

Presumably it would also use DECA for networking and it may be compatible with MRV using current receiver models for clients

#5 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:05 PM

Presumably it would also use DECA for networking and it may be compatible with MRV using current receiver models for clients

Not talking about the technology, just wondering about the need and the potential market. What would a HMC30 bring to the party that a couple of HR2X's + DECA & MRV don't already provide?

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:08 PM

Not talking about the technology, just wondering about the need and the potential market. What would a HMC30 bring to the party that a couple of HR2X's + DECA & MRV don't already provide?

I think it's more about the HMC30 being RVU compliant so this one STB could provice DirecTV service to TV's that have a built in RVU client, no need for DirecTV STB's at each TV.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

I think it's more about the HMC30 being RVU compliant so this one STB could provice DirecTV service to TV's that have a built in RVU client, no need for DirecTV STB's at each TV.

Again, I am not talking about the technology, I am talking about the market. How many DirecTV customers have TV's with a built in RVU client?

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

Well, one school of thought is that a lot of TVs in the future will have RVU compliance in order to meet future government guidelines. It's also possible that there will be a small set-top box that could add RVU compliance to any TV.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Again, I am not talking about the technology, I am talking about the market. How many DirecTV customers have TV's with a built in RVU client?

The RVU-enabled TVs may be a niche, but what this will likely bring to the table is a reduced cost. The RVU boxes are much cheaper to manufacture and the savings would likely be passed to the consumer.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#10 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:23 PM

Well, one school of thought is that a lot of TVs in the future will have RVU compliance in order to meet future government guidelines. It's also possible that there will be a small set-top box that could add RVU compliance to any TV.

Am I also correct that the built-in RVU in TVs is a standard, and therefore not specifically tied to DirecTV service, meaning the RVU TV may work with DirecTV, Dish Network, Cable or FiOS Home Media Servers if those companies develop them?
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#11 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:25 PM

The HMC30 is the first cousin to the KS43 in modern DVR mythology. Very similar in nature to the early sightings of Stitch and Toothless. (Both are Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois inventions.)

Whereas the KS43 reportedly has 4 tuners, a fast drain, and single handle sprayer, it too is limited to just one stream.

The HMC30 mythology is of a DVR 7 feet tall, kills men by the hundreds, and consumes English (dramas) with fireballs. (Or was the William Wallace?) Maybe the HMC30 will be the IronMan of the DVR realm?

DECUS claims the HMC30 will be using Alpha though such can't be confirmed. Not even Google has been able to obtain data regarding the HMC30's CPU.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

I'm no expert in that, but yes, the idea is to provide interoperability with many different service providers without additional hardware.

There's a large group of people who would very much like to get back to the way things were in decades past... with one wire into the TV and no additional box.

#13 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

This is an easy one. Zero. RVU isn't on the market yet.

Now, the real question is how many customers will have RVU TVs one year from now? Two years? Three years?

I think RVU has a strong chance, given the founders of the alliance. That said, it ain't definite yet. More manufacturers have to sign on. :)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#14 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

One thing that has impressed me over the past few years is how DirecTV is far ahead of current thinking. They have a direction and a plan for the company that is much more that sitting down at your TV and watching a basic or even expanded package of channels and networks. RVU and this piece seem to be part of our future television experience.

NBC's concept from a few years ago of Thursday night being Must See TV now seems as antiquated as the Walkman.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#15 OFFLINE   Barry in Conyers

Barry in Conyers

Godfather

• Registered
  • 353 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

This is an easy one. Zero. RVU isn't on the market yet.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

My point exactly about RVU.

Again, I am not knocking the home whole sever concept / technology (which I said was neat); my concern is that MRV & DECA (which currently seem to be a good solution to the same general need), may eliminate any significant market for something like the HMC30 in the foreseeable future. As has been pointed out several times, DirecTV is a for profit company and is not interested in niche markets.

#16 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

Tom,

My point exactly about RVU.

Again, I am not knocking the home whole sever concept / technology (which I said was neat); my concern is that MRV & DECA (which currently seem to be a good solution to the same general need), may eliminate any significant market for something like the HMC30 in the foreseeable future. As has been pointed out several times, DirecTV is a for profit company and is not interested in niche markets.

Now.

But IIRC DirecTV's been saying late 2010 for a whole home server, which means that the CE manufactures would be able to roll out a new line of TV's and other devices that are RVU compliant. Remember before the last CE show not much was said about 3D and now look at the hardware that's been coming out that supports 3D.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#17 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

DECUS claims the HMC30 will be using Alpha though such can't be confirmed. Not even Google has been able to obtain data regarding the HMC30's CPU.

The EV79! She lives!

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

... Not even Google has been able to obtain data regarding the HMC30's CPU.

Cheers,
Tom

We been able to get some tidbits from binaries to say it is Broadcom based device, probably BCM7038 type.
Don't need to blame Google when it posted here. ;)

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

The current Whole Home DVR service (familiarly known as MRV) is arguably being marketed as something akin to the HMC30 (one DVR serving four televisions) so I'm sure DIRECTV is convinced there is a market. Uverse offers a DVR that literally serves four televisions already and DISH Network offers a number of two television solutions.

There is a void and the HMC30 (or a variant) would appear to be the product to fill it. Remember that DIRECTV first introduced such a concept in 2006 (D-HR20P, not to be confused in an way with the pedestrian HR21Pro) so it has been an ongoing project.

http://hd.engadget.c...hd-dvr-d-hr20p/

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:43 AM

First of all, it pains me to say so but engadget has not always been a reliable source for DIRECTV information.

The HMC30 prototype shown at CES owes nothing to the previous Home Media Center prototype except perhaps the name and basic concept. I've been told this is a ground-up, new project.

spam firewall