Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Problem with Dish Reception

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Psyclist

Psyclist

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Sorry for the double post (posted in General Discussion before reading more closely):

Hello everyone. Got a problem with a dish set-up from couple of years ago. Wife arranged to have an independent company come out and install a dish for DirectTV 2 years ago. I wasn't there at the time, but the installer did a poor job and the reception is not very good. This place has a 1200' hillside just to the south which is the problem, I'm thinking.

Strangely, it seems to work during the winter months better than the summer months. Some channels we don't get at all, some pop in and out and some work fine. It's a part-time place for us, so it hasn't been a major priority, but I would like to get it fixed.

I was referred to this forum by someone who said I might be able to get some help on how to fix it. Two nearby neighbors have it working fine. We are more at the base of the hillside, so I'm thinking I need more height.

I don't really have a lot of confidence in the company that came out originally to do the install. Besides, they say they won't climb a ladder and I'm thinking I need to get this thing 10 or more feet off the ground. The house is even more at the base of the hillside, so attaching to the roof is probably out of the question. I don't think trees are probably a good option (movement). There is a pole for the electrical drop that might work. Currently, the dish is about 150 feet to the east (is that too far away?). Also, once I move it, I'm not sure how to tune in to the signal precisely.

Anyway, is there a way to find someone reputable to do this kind of thing (rural eastern Washington) or, better yet, is there a reliable way to "do it yourself?"

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

See my reply in the other thread. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:28 AM

Strangely, it seems to work during the winter months better than the summer months. Some channels we don't get at all, some pop in and out and some work fine. It's a part-time place for us, so it hasn't been a major priority, but I would like to get it fixed.

Sounds like there is trees on that hill that lose leaves in the winter. I would suggest calling DirecTV and have them come fix your dish. Perhaps a bit of a taller pole mount could work well.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...