Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many tuners with SWM5?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Stupid question I know, but the installers are here right now and they are saying that SWM5 with an additional switch can power 8 tuners at the same time, not just 5. Is this true?

They are installing an HR21, and I have 2 HR24's on the way, can all 6 tuners record at the same time with a swm5 and some sort of switch?

Need answer asap!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,665 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

SWM5 can only power 5 tuners. So unless they disable a tuner on one of the HR2x's or add an additional SWM (or standard Zinwell WB68 that requires 2 lines per dvr), it won't work.

#3 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

No, it will handle 5 swm tuners.

#4 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Stupid question I know, but the installers are here right now and they are saying that SWM5 with an additional switch can power 8 tuners at the same time, not just 5. Is this true?

They are installing an HR21, and I have 2 HR24's on the way, can all 6 tuners record at the same time with a swm5 and some sort of switch?

Need answer asap!!!

If it's really a SWM5 (they've probably never seen a SWM5 and think it's a SWM8), it will only support 5 tuners.

They should install a SWM LNB.

DIRECTV and NFL-ST since 1994, Slimline w/SL5 LNB, SWiM-16
HR44-700; 2x HR24-500; HR22-100; H25-500; C31-700; GenieGo
Gigabit Ethernet (DirecTV DECA); 2.4 and 5GHz 802.11n; HD Slingbox

#5 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

If it's really a SWM5 (they've probably never seen a SWM5 and think it's a SWM8), it will only support 5 tuners.

They should install a SWM LNB.

Of course, they may be referring to a 5 LNB SWiMLNB, not a SWM-5.

#6 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:28 PM

It is a swm5 lnb I believe, what does that mean?

Edit:
Ok I'm seeing now that a swm5 LNB can handle 8 tuners I believe and 16 with a splitter?
I got confused about swm5 vs swm5 lnb.

Edited by bondheli, 02 June 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#7 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

The installers are still here.

A SL5S is an LNB that sees the 5 satellite slots 99, 101, 103, 110, 119 and contains a SWiM inside the LNB assembly. This is one unit that connects to the arm of the satellite dish.

It will support 8 SWiM tuners. If it has a green label, there is no need to connect a band stop filter to it. You must connect a splitter to the coax coming from the LNB assembly to connect to your receivers. The SWiM must also be powered, either before or after the splitter. One line will go to each SWiM compatible receiver/DVR and can power up to two tuners per box.

#8 OFFLINE   dwcolvin

dwcolvin

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Edit:
Ok I'm seeing now that a swm5 LNB can handle 8 tuners I believe and 16 with a splitter?
I got confused about swm5 vs swm5 lnb.

All SWM LNBs can handle 8 tuners (no more). The 5 you're referring to is satellite locations... 99, 101, 103, 110, 119... most folks only need 99, 101 and 103 these days.

SWM has been out for several years... most installers know how to do it (at least, up to 8 tuners).

#9 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,902 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

`I feel a Grant's Tomb joke coming on...

#10 OFFLINE   bondheli

bondheli

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. I have done a lot of research but I hadn't looked in to SWM thoroughly because I originally thought I was only going to be dealing with two dvr's. I called up D* on Monday to get an installer out for my HR24's and they offered me a 3rd DVR for free with free install.

#11 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:37 PM

The real SWM5 was basically a prototype device only and was an external multiswitch like the SWiM8 is that needed 4 lines running into it. As far as I know it was never used outside of the field trials.

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Right... there is no such thing as an SWM5-LNB. I think somewhere down the line the terminology has gotten confused.

What you probably have is the SWiM-enabled Slimline-5, or "Swimline". If you had a SWiM-5 it would be a separate grey box somewhere down the line, and as evan_s pointed out, they are pretty rare these days.

I don't believe SWiM-5s are fully compatible with Connected Home, so the installer should replace a SWiM-5 if he finds one in the field.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

Posted Image
SL5-S (Slimline LNB 5 - SWM version) - Supports 8 SWM tuners, not expandable.

Posted Image
SWM-5 external multiswitch. Discontinued - few exist as there was only one pre-production run of them. Supports 5 SWM tuners, not expandable itself but multiple external switches can be connected to a single legacy (non-SWM) LNB.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...