Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving - Best set up for most DTV options?

upgrade

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DGF9600

DGF9600

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

I am moving between states (west Chicago suburbs to Iowa side of the Quad Cities) and have the opportunity to create my home network and DTV network for the best connectivity. I am continuing with DTV as I continue to believe it is the best value.

Currently I have:
1. In the family room, where I watch 90% of my viewing, I have an HR21-100. HDTV, Blu-ray, 5.1 Surround.
2. A SD-DVR 40 in my bedroom. Directv is requiring a swap due to the age of the receiver. I'm okay with this.
3. I currently have the HR21-100 connected to the internet through a Linksys wireless G router and a Linksys Wireless G game adapter and switch. The switch is used to connect the Panasonic Blu-ray and HR21-100 to the wireless game adapter, but this is not a stable connection. The HR21 will occasionally lose connection to the network, and the adapter will need resetting through my laptop. I believe the game adapter resets and looses my SSID and security key.

As I am moving in to a new house I have the opportunity to set up my Directv experience and wireless networking for the best efficiency and options for HD, DTV internet connection, etc.
Known constraints / questions:
1. The new house's bedroom appears to only have one coaxial cable. I would like to continue dual tuner DVR service in the bedroom. I noted this on the phone call, but since I have not currently ordered the MRV, there is no current order for a SWM.
2. The family room does not currently have the coaxial cable installed on the wall my entertainment center will be located at. Out of principal I will want an actual jack at this location rather than a cable feed through the floor board or similar. I may be able to handle this before the install appointment.
3. I am open to upgrading the networking hardware for the wireless internet connection. Should I go on my own or add this into the mover's connection order?
4. Do I need a wireless N router rather than the wireless G router?
5. I am not sold on the MRV due to the $3 / Mo fee when two DVR's meet the same needs.
6. My internet connection will be DSL.

What am I missing or what should I ask for through DTV vs the installer the day of the appointment? I am most concerned about the wireless internet connection and the DVR capability n the bedroom. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Edited by DGF9600, 02 June 2010 - 07:38 PM.
tag update

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

Make it easy on yourself and have an SWM installation, for the rooms with one cable. And definitely have DECA installed with the connection to the internet. Then you won't need to try to get a wireless network working. Having DSL will only affect your downloads of On Demand content.

5) I agree with this if both DVRs will be connected to the same TV. If not, then each DVR can access the programming on the other one. This is very convenient and well worth the $3 fee.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

If you are moving into the Quad Cities DMA then you are moving into a MPEG4 local area, so all of your receivers will be upgraded to HD versions for free. They do this because the local channels are only available in hi-def.

If the new house doesn't currently have DirecTV installed then there is a very big chance that you will get a SWM install which only requires one line to each receiver or DVR.

Also, if this is a new install I would ask them how much it would be to include the Whole Home DVR Service at the same time. This will get the internet connection to all of your receivers without relying on wireless which doesn't always work well. Also MRV is very useful even with two DVRs. It allows you to be able to record up to 4 shows at the same time, and still watch them in any room you want.

Finally, all new wiring that the installer will run will just be drilled through the exterior wall or up through the floor. If you want a wall outlet installed you will have to do that yourself. If you install the outlet, and drill a hole through the floor into the wall and have a pull string/wire down from the outlet into the basement the istaller will usually fish the wall for free (but not always). If you have him drill up into the wall and fish the wire through on his own then they will charge you. I also don't think they will install an outlet because I don't think they carry those parts around with them.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

Finally, all new wiring that the installer will run will just be drilled through the exterior wall or up through the floor. If you want a wall outlet installed you will have to do that yourself. If you install the outlet, and drill a hole through the floor into the wall and have a pull string/wire down from the outlet into the basement the istaller will usually fish the wall for free (but not always). If you have him drill up into the wall and fish the wire through on his own then they will charge you. I also don't think they will install an outlet because I don't think they carry those parts around with them.

Most installers should have the tools to do a wall fish, but wall fishes are not free, as you noted. Some locations are nearly impossible to do a wall fish, some are difficult, and some are reasonably simple, and the price will generally reflect this.

As noted, if you do the wall/attic/crawlspace work yourself and have a pull string fished in the wall, most any tech would be happy to do the rest for free, so that's another option.

All techs should have wallplates on their truck.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

(...)
What am I missing or what should I ask for through DTV vs the installer the day of the appointment? I am most concerned about the wireless internet connection and the DVR capability n the bedroom. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I would opt for the Connected Home installation. While it may be more expensive to do, it will connect one adapter to your home network that will allow all your network-capable receivers to have an internet connection. Trust me, this is much better than using a wireless adapter for these devices.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   DGF9600

DGF9600

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

Thank you to all for the thoughts. I did amend my order and took advantage of the MRV option. I also took advantage of the free HD service, by re-upping for a two year committment and the auto pay. In the end I come out ahead.

The next question will be the best location of the DSL wireless router - basement / bedroom.

#7 OFFLINE   DGF9600

DGF9600

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

Update: DTV came yesterday and after much effort we (I) finally enabled the MRV.

The installer and trainee quickly installed the dish, SWM 8 and ran an interior cable to may entertainment wall. He had to make a run to his own truck that was recently damaged by storms in another part of town. Due to being in a MPEG 4 Market DTV swapped my SD DVR (Hughes) with HR24-500. DECA's are on the Qwest DSL / Router and the HR21-100. The installer indicated the HR24-500 DECA was internally installed?

Our issues arose while trying to activate the MRV between DVRs. I did mention to them the HR21-100 was previously networked. At first they thought it was bad coaxial cable between the basement endpoint and the bedroom. They swapped all barrels and ran their own coaxial between the basement and the bedroom - 100+ feet, but no luck. They eventually deferred to the supervisor to come out on Monday / Tuesday as they were out of solutions after 3.5+ hours.

After they left I decided to clear the network settings on the HR21, and reboot and rename the HR21. Presto the two DVR's could find each other. The MRV has been working for about 20 hours.

2 issues: a. I have not been able to have the Vista Laptop find the HR21 for the media share. I have tried a reboot, without success. Any ideas? I didn't use it that often in the past due to network infrastructure issues, so I don't recall how to get the two to talk to each other. Do I need I Tunes r Windows Media Player active upon reboot?

b. Can I use a switch between the DECA on the HR -21 to split / duplicate the internet connection back to the HR-21 and a Blu-ray player? It appears that some individuals have tried this in the pictures in the main forum, but was "not" recommended.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: upgrade

spam firewall