Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD For Life

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   justcallme61

justcallme61

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

What's so bad about the commitment? Why doesn't anyone wanna do it? Dish does everything SOOOO confusing...None of this makes sense to me. I'm still trying to figure out what I would be paying WITHOUT HD, let alone if I should go through the hassle of trying to get it for free and possibly end up paying for it somehow

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

OK. Did someone not get the memo? I have autopay and ebill. Here's screenshots of last month and this month - bills dated May 1, 2010 and June 1, 2010, the latter covering service from June 17 - July 16. No $2 increase, no new label for for Platinum.

Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#128 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

My understanding is that the changes are effective 6/3. I expect that my next bill will show the changes. My current bill for 6/4 to 7/3 is the same so far.

#129 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

My understanding is that the changes are effective 6/3. I expect that my next bill will show the changes. My current bill for 6/4 to 7/3 is the same so far.

I am puzzling about that "effective 6/3." It's hard to imagine I'm getting a $2 break for June 17-July 16! Because my bill date is the 1st of each month, I never get a break. But if my July 1 bill shows the increase, I'll be a little happier than I might otherwise have been.;)

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#130 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,112 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

I am puzzling about that "effective 6/3." It's hard to imagine I'm getting a $2 break for June 17-July 16! Because my bill date is the 1st of each month, I never get a break. But if my July 1 bill shows the increase, I'll be a little happier than I might otherwise have been.;)

I've never paid a February 1st price change until my March-April bill. Be happy with the break you are getting! :)

#131 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Right. If it's like the regular February changes, it will go into effect for you with the first bill generated after the company makes the change.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#132 OFFLINE   OinkinOregon

OinkinOregon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

As with most new promotions that Dish throws out they are not prepared yet again.

Called to have this added and the rep. said existing customer's are to upgrade via the My Account on the website, that the representatives are not able to make the change. He did not however know how to accomplish this.

I told him that it looks like you should go to My Account>Programming there you will see an option under "Available channels" Called (In my case) "HD 250 Free" You should be able to select this option and then select "Review and Order" at the bottom.

Currently this is BROKE and DISH is working on it. The answer is try back later.:nono2:

#133 OFFLINE   pitflyer

pitflyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

HD CHANNELS (learn more)
HD 120 $10.00
HD 250 $10.00
HD Max $10.00
HD 200 $10.00
HD Dos $10.00
HD Max Free $0.00
HD 250 Free $0.00
HD 120 Free $0.00
HD 200 Free $0.00
HD Dos Free $0.00
None of the Above
Upgrade to HD Platinum for an extra $10/mo.

This is what the screen says (you'll only see the one that applies to you), like me for HD 250. I guess that 'HD 250' is the regular HD that costs, and 'HD 250 Free' is the one that I qualify for as a customer prior to June 3rd. But then it seems that for new customers HD+Platinum will cost $20.

I'm going to wait a little while before I try to downgrade just to HD Free.

#134 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

Here's a screenshot of what I get:

Posted Image

I don't remember seeing the Dish America options available before.

My AV Setup

#135 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

Again, HD channels at this point in time for all intents and purposes means TV channels, so a statement that there will be no additional charge for HD channels simply means that you are already paying for those TV channels. We've reached the tipping point where SD channels are no longer important in the scheme of things.

Yep, now because the majority of the national channels are in HD, and every TV sold today is HD, it'd be kind of stupid to keep charging that $10 Premium for suscribing to a prestigious package...know what I mean. In other words, HD programming is pretty much a standard option now, just as A/C became a standard option in vehicles about 20-25 years ago.
END OF LINE

#136 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

Yep, now because the majority of the national channels are in HD, and every TV sold today is HD, it'd be kind of stupid to keep charging that $10 Premium for suscribing to a prestigious package...know what I mean. In other words, HD programming is pretty much a standard option now, just as A/C became a standard option in vehicles about 20-25 years ago.

Same thing became true for color TV about 50 years ago - you bought a TV, it was color replacing your old B/W. Of course NBC has some dumb "we're in color" promo that I don't understand.

My AV Setup

#137 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image

The Dish America "learn more" link doesn't work.

My AV Setup

#138 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,112 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm not seeing them when I log in, but otherwise the screen I see is the same.

I like Platinum HD so I don't plan on doing the "downgrade" from "HD & Platinum HD" to the HD Free option.
I'm hopeful that we get good reports from people making the change.

#139 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

I clicked on "HD250 Free" and it took me to another page that informed me that I had 2 options, a 2-year commitment or a one time $99 HD fee.

There is no way to select which option you want on this page :mad: From previous posts if you call in they tell you to use the web page to order.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#140 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

I clicked on "HD250 Free" and it took me to another page that informed me that I had 2 options, a 2-year commitment or a one time $99 HD fee.

There is no way to select which option you want on this page :mad: From previous posts if you call in they tell you to use the web page to order.

Since right at this moment I can't sign into my account, my guess is that Darryl and his other brother Darryl aren't quite done with the web site revisions. But based on what I see now for new customers (screenshot below), it appears that the new 2-year commitment & autopay w/paperless is the only real option unless you really want to give them $99.

Posted Image

My AV Setup

#141 OFFLINE   pitflyer

pitflyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

Yeah, their website is hosed right now.. getting all sorts of WebLogic (ie their web server) error messages. Another great IT rollout by Dish Network!

#142 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:03 PM

OK, got back into my account and clicked the 200 for life box and instantly got this screen:

Posted Image

And yes, you get to that screen and there is no "continue" or "next" or "back" to allow you to continue.:sure:

My AV Setup

#143 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:12 PM

From Dish Network Corporate Communications:

Hello,

Beginning today, DISH Network is the first and only pay-TV provider beaming free HD for life to new and existing customers.

This is the first time any company in the multichannel video distribution business has offered both new and existing customers their core HD channels (in any America's Top package) free for the life of their accounts.

Now DISH customers have access to the most HD in the industry for free using the most advanced HD DVR receivers.

Please let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you – happy to serve as a resource. And, in the meantime, check out the newest commercials (a departure from the side-by-side spots you’re used to) on YouTube: www.youtube.com/dishSTUDIO.

Thanks,
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#144 OFFLINE   Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser

Hall Of Fame

• Super Moderators
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:14 PM

Just to add some additional information, it applies to new and existing subs. You have to sign a 24 month agreement and use autopay.

I went into my account online and I have the ability to switch from the $10.00 version to the free version.
Rob

DISH Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, & Joey User

#145 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

Just to add some additional information, it applies to new and existing subs. You have to sign a 24 month agreement and use autopay.

I went into my account online and I have the ability to switch from the $10.00 version to the free version.

As noted on the other thread Free HD for life? is it so. I tried it to do it, but it doesn't work just yet.

EDIT: Also there is some info out there (rumor or whatever) that is saying existing customers with HD & Platinum (and maybe autopay and ebill) may be grandfathered.

Edited by phrelin, 03 June 2010 - 01:24 PM.

My AV Setup

#146 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 441 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

Wait until your next bill generates. If you already have the HD\Platinum package you will be automatically grandfathered into HD for Life.

#147 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

Wait until your next bill generates. If you already have the HD\Platinum package you will be automatically grandfathered into HD for Life.

That's what I'm hoping. But I'll have to see it to believe it. I guess I'm skeptical since right now it appears they want a 24 mo commitment from existing customers, although that may ultimately just be for those who don't have HD. Maybe we'll know more when the web site updates are completed "soon."

My AV Setup

#148 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

It doesn't seem to make any sense.

When I go to the programming page under my account, it is like #235 posted by Phrelin above. It shows me not subscribed to HD: "America's 250" under American SD and "None of the Above" are the boxes shown checked.

And yet, like Phrelin's, at the top it shows HD & Platinum under CURRENT PROGRAMMING.

I think I will wait and see.

On what page do you see a "200 for life" link?

Edited by bnborg, 03 June 2010 - 01:42 PM.

Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#149 OFFLINE   pitflyer

pitflyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

The direct link for the HD For Life offer seems to be
https://customersupp.../prepHDOffer.do

If look at the source code they seem to be working on a place for you to put your CC for the $99 charge. Hope they are still implementing the logic so existing customers don't have to pay/commit.

#150 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

FWIW, my guess is that if you jumped through the hoops sometime after August, 2009 (to get the free Platinum deal), so your bill says:

HD & Platinum $10.00

you now have HD "free" and will be paying $10 for Platinum from here on, with no action necessary by you.

OR - I could be wrong.

My bill is generated on the 26th so I won't see a change (if there even is one) until next time.

Edited by l8er, 03 June 2010 - 02:06 PM.

-GA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...