Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD For Life

• Please log in to reply
323 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   haeffb

haeffb

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:53 AM

Thank you, James.

Switched my AT200 + SilverHD + HBO/Showtime to HD+Platinum and was given the free HBO/Showtime for three months. $66 - 5 = $61 saved for switching and getting the Platinum channels for "free". Awesome.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:00 PM

Any word yet on what day Dish will make the official announcement on the free HD for life ?

#123 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

Like all Dish announcements, after it is offical. So look for it miday on the 3rd.
Hope you get all your duck in order today to get HD for free and Platinum for $10.

#124 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

Like all Dish announcements, after it is offical. So look for it miday on the 3rd.
Hope you get all your duck in order today to get HD for free and Platinum for $10.

I wonder if someone at DISH is sweating it out hoping that they make it until Thursday before many more customers make the change?

Go ahead, ruin their day. :D

Make SURE you subscribe to "HD & Platinum HD" before June 3rd.

#125 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

I wonder if someone at DISH is sweating it out hoping that they make it until Thursday before many more customers make the change?

Go ahead, ruin their day. :D

Make SURE you subscribe to "HD & Platinum HD" before June 3rd.

You think that somebody, is the same person who kind of screwed up, with the entire Platinum and HD combo launch, last August?

#126 OFFLINE   justcallme61

justcallme61

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

What's so bad about the commitment? Why doesn't anyone wanna do it? Dish does everything SOOOO confusing...None of this makes sense to me. I'm still trying to figure out what I would be paying WITHOUT HD, let alone if I should go through the hassle of trying to get it for free and possibly end up paying for it somehow

#127 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

OK. Did someone not get the memo? I have autopay and ebill. Here's screenshots of last month and this month - bills dated May 1, 2010 and June 1, 2010, the latter covering service from June 17 - July 16. No $2 increase, no new label for for Platinum.

Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#128 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 401 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

My understanding is that the changes are effective 6/3. I expect that my next bill will show the changes. My current bill for 6/4 to 7/3 is the same so far.

#129 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

My understanding is that the changes are effective 6/3. I expect that my next bill will show the changes. My current bill for 6/4 to 7/3 is the same so far.

I am puzzling about that "effective 6/3." It's hard to imagine I'm getting a $2 break for June 17-July 16! Because my bill date is the 1st of each month, I never get a break. But if my July 1 bill shows the increase, I'll be a little happier than I might otherwise have been.;)

A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup

#130 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

I am puzzling about that "effective 6/3." It's hard to imagine I'm getting a $2 break for June 17-July 16! Because my bill date is the 1st of each month, I never get a break. But if my July 1 bill shows the increase, I'll be a little happier than I might otherwise have been.;)

I've never paid a February 1st price change until my March-April bill. Be happy with the break you are getting! :)

#131 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Right. If it's like the regular February changes, it will go into effect for you with the first bill generated after the company makes the change.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#132 OFFLINE   OinkinOregon

OinkinOregon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

As with most new promotions that Dish throws out they are not prepared yet again.

Called to have this added and the rep. said existing customer's are to upgrade via the My Account on the website, that the representatives are not able to make the change. He did not however know how to accomplish this.

I told him that it looks like you should go to My Account>Programming there you will see an option under "Available channels" Called (In my case) "HD 250 Free" You should be able to select this option and then select "Review and Order" at the bottom.

Currently this is BROKE and DISH is working on it. The answer is try back later.:nono2:

#133 OFFLINE   pitflyer

pitflyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:07 AM

HD CHANNELS (learn more)
HD 120 $10.00
HD 250 $10.00
HD Max $10.00
HD 200 $10.00
HD Dos $10.00
HD Max Free $0.00
HD 250 Free $0.00
HD 120 Free $0.00
HD 200 Free $0.00
HD Dos Free $0.00
None of the Above
Upgrade to HD Platinum for an extra $10/mo.

This is what the screen says (you'll only see the one that applies to you), like me for HD 250. I guess that 'HD 250' is the regular HD that costs, and 'HD 250 Free' is the one that I qualify for as a customer prior to June 3rd. But then it seems that for new customers HD+Platinum will cost $20.

I'm going to wait a little while before I try to downgrade just to HD Free.

#134 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

Here's a screenshot of what I get:

Posted Image

I don't remember seeing the Dish America options available before.

My AV Setup

#135 OFFLINE   Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

Again, HD channels at this point in time for all intents and purposes means TV channels, so a statement that there will be no additional charge for HD channels simply means that you are already paying for those TV channels. We've reached the tipping point where SD channels are no longer important in the scheme of things.

Yep, now because the majority of the national channels are in HD, and every TV sold today is HD, it'd be kind of stupid to keep charging that $10 Premium for suscribing to a prestigious package...know what I mean. In other words, HD programming is pretty much a standard option now, just as A/C became a standard option in vehicles about 20-25 years ago.
END OF LINE

#136 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

Yep, now because the majority of the national channels are in HD, and every TV sold today is HD, it'd be kind of stupid to keep charging that $10 Premium for suscribing to a prestigious package...know what I mean. In other words, HD programming is pretty much a standard option now, just as A/C became a standard option in vehicles about 20-25 years ago.

Same thing became true for color TV about 50 years ago - you bought a TV, it was color replacing your old B/W. Of course NBC has some dumb "we're in color" promo that I don't understand.

My AV Setup

#137 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Posted Image

The Dish America "learn more" link doesn't work.

My AV Setup

#138 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm not seeing them when I log in, but otherwise the screen I see is the same.

I like Platinum HD so I don't plan on doing the "downgrade" from "HD & Platinum HD" to the HD Free option.
I'm hopeful that we get good reports from people making the change.

#139 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

I clicked on "HD250 Free" and it took me to another page that informed me that I had 2 options, a 2-year commitment or a one time $99 HD fee.

There is no way to select which option you want on this page :mad: From previous posts if you call in they tell you to use the web page to order.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#140 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

I clicked on "HD250 Free" and it took me to another page that informed me that I had 2 options, a 2-year commitment or a one time $99 HD fee.

There is no way to select which option you want on this page :mad: From previous posts if you call in they tell you to use the web page to order.

Since right at this moment I can't sign into my account, my guess is that Darryl and his other brother Darryl aren't quite done with the web site revisions. But based on what I see now for new customers (screenshot below), it appears that the new 2-year commitment & autopay w/paperless is the only real option unless you really want to give them $99.

Posted Image

My AV Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...