Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   markrw58

markrw58

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

On the phone right now...getting the HD free for 24 months. Done.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

Do we know if there is a time limit on this offer or if this is new policy I ask this because I've never upgraded to HD Access have been waiting for HD DTivo but this offer could change my thinking?

I understand you have to sign up for auto pay which I would need to do is so there a preference to doing this through D* website or through your bank? If you did this through your bank would it automatically show up in your D* online account as auto pay?

#183 OFFLINE   rainydave

rainydave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

I just got off the phone and was granted the 2yrs free HD without question. Very simple. I'm sure they either anticipated the calls or scrambled to do something. I agree with all earlier posts that current customers should not have to call for this. HD fee should be dropped period for all.

Just did the same. No muss, no fuss.

#184 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

I understand you have to sign up for auto pay which I would need to do is so there a preference to doing this through D* website or through your bank? If you did this through your bank would it automatically show up in your D* online account as auto pay?

No, it has to be through D* directly. Either at directv.com or through an agent to sign up is fine

As previous posters have indicated, D* now has an offer for existing customers for HD access free for 24 months, with Auto Bill Pay Signup. Please note that you do have to have Select or above, and if Auto Bill Pay is removed for any reason, the offer will be removed.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#185 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

I called, the CSR that I talked to said that he only saw the new customer offer, nothing for existing customers for a 2 year offer. Think I'll just try the e-mail route and see what happens.

I tried the e-mail route and got nowhere. I called and got the 24 month and was told on the 9th there would be a lifetime offer so call back.
In 2 years there won't be a HD charge anyway is my guess so I'm just leaving it the way it is.

#186 OFFLINE   cthomp21

cthomp21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

I called and asked about the free HD for life for existing customers.

I was told that I was only elibible for 3 months of free HD. I think the CSR was confused regarding the free HD offer and the 3 months free for the HD Extra Pack. She seemed new and not very knowledgable.

Will try again later to get the credit applied to my account.

#187 OFFLINE   The Spud

The Spud

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Just had one of the shortest conversations ever with D*. Told Victoria what I wanted, she said hold on for a minute and then told me it was done. Checked my account and it now says:

06/05/2010 XXXXXXXX HD Access - 24mosFreeHDAcc ($10.00) $0.00

Wish all my contacts with them were this fast/easy.

This is exactly how my conversation went, too.

#188 OFFLINE   sda3

sda3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

Has anyone gotten this without autopay? I am still leery of getting on their autopay

#189 OFFLINE   LCollett

LCollett

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

I have Choice Xtra, HD Extra Pack and three movie packages (over $140.00 per month including taxes). I have had DirecTV for over ten years (with auto bill pay) and never have been able to get any credits. It has been over two years since I added a receiver so I am not under contract.

I just called and got nothing. Was told free HD was for new customers only and there was no way to offer this to existing customers. I may go OTA only for a few years and then get one of the new customer deals.

Edited by LCollett, 05 June 2010 - 01:02 PM.

#190 OFFLINE   mccoady

mccoady

AllStar

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

No, it has to be through D* directly. Either at directv.com or through an agent to sign up is fine

As previous posters have indicated, D* now has an offer for existing customers for HD access free for 24 months, with Auto Bill Pay Signup. Please note that you do have to have Select or above, and if Auto Bill Pay is removed for any reason, the offer will be removed.

Thanks I will sign up at D* website then and I have Choice Extra + DVR so I would think I would qualify. I also need a dish upgrade and HD receiver so I need to figure out a way to get a HR24 plus everything installed for free ( have never upgraded equipment in seven years).

#191 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

Sounds like the success rate is in the high 80s. I have the grandfathered Choice Xtra HD DVR for $79.99 package. Has anyone received the $10.00 per month off for 2 years with the $79.99 grandfathered package? In other words, you still have the grandfathered Choice Xtra HD DVR but now you're only paying $69.99?

I decided to go to D*.com and log in to my account to see if they had anything about the free HD. I come to find out that I haven't activated my HD service and it says click activate now for $10.00. But when I look at my statements they show Choice Xtra HD DVR for $79.99. Probably just some kind of web error because I've had HD from the beginning.

#192 OFFLINE   The Spud

The Spud

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

I have the old Total Choice Plus package and did not have to upgrade my programming package.

#193 OFFLINE   CG Tustin

CG Tustin

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

Hi guys..

I gave it a shot..said I could get the 24 mo free HD offer...with auto pay only...OR 6mo free HD w/o auto pay..I chose the 6mo offer for now...I too think that the HD access fee will be dropped..eventually.;)

#194 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:17 PM

Why some are being denied is puzzling. Maybe whats going on each customer gets so much in freebie's and once they use them up over a certain time period they get denied.

#195 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,957 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

Just called and got the free HD for 24 months deal. The CSR in the promotions dept told me that after 24 months I can call back and get the same deal again. We'll see in 2 yrs...

Considering this promo is only good for six weeks, I find that hard to believe. It's possible it may be extended, but I'm skeptical the CSR would know this...

I called and got the 24 month and was told on the 9th there would be a lifetime offer so call back.
In 2 years there won't be a HD charge anyway is my guess so I'm just leaving it the way it is.

Again, I'm doubtful the CSR knows what they are talking about, but I think I'm probably going to wait until the 9th to call anyway, so we'll see. :)

~Alan

#196 OFFLINE   xmetalx

xmetalx

Godfather

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

The offer was just released today, so I'm guessing that every agent isn't aware of it yet.
DirecTV employee since 2008
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

There's no place like ~/

#197 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:30 PM

Why some are being denied is puzzling. Maybe whats going on each customer gets so much in freebie's and once they use them up over a certain time period they get denied.

For what it's worth, other than the HD extra pack freebie—and I admit I've had that more than once; in my experience it's offered basically every time I call, whether I ask for anything or not—I haven't had any special deals since April 2007, when I bought two new HD DVRs at Best Buy and DirecTV gave us a $200 service credit (equal to cost of one receiver).

#198 OFFLINE   videojanitor

videojanitor

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

Wow ... my experience is ALWAYS the opposite of everyone else (George Costanza syndrome), but not this time ... I called and it got. Thanks to DBSTalk for turning me on to this!

Edited by videojanitor, 05 June 2010 - 02:59 PM.
typo

#199 OFFLINE   DennisMileHi

DennisMileHi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

I called and got the 24 mo HD credit with no problem. I asked for a few other things. Got 3 months credit of $5 for my HD extra pack. I asked why that was not part of the deal and the CSR had no idea. I also wanted to cancel HBO (Pacific is now done) and put my Starz back on. They did that and gave me $5 off Starz for 6 months.

Lastly, I have been interested in the Whole House DVR package, but felt the $155 (incl tax) install was too much since I already have my own SWiM installed (my Powerline network was somewhat unreliable during the Beta test). She gave me the install for $91. All in all a good day talking with D*.

It does bug me that we have to proactively call D* and ask for the HD credit. They should just give it to everybody who already has AutoPay. Not a good way to run their railroad if you ask me. Now I am going to tell my friends and family who have D* that they need to call to get the HD credits on their account. A further time-consuming but necessary pain.

#200 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

I have the old Total Choice Plus package and did not have to upgrade my programming package.

I had TC+. They said it could not be added to it and was not showing in the system. As soon as they speced out my account with Choice Xtra it came through just fine.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...