Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2041 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,417 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:12 PM

I got the email today as well.

It's the third time in the past 6 or 7 months that I've gotten the identical email, since I also got it after each of two replacements of my one and only receiver.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2042 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

I don't get "pissed" easily. What I was upset about was getting disconnected twice and being transferred to someone working at home on a subpar phone with a dog barking in the background. As I said earlier I probably wouldn't have even known the $10 discount was gone if I hadn't got a email telling me it was renewed. I don't beat up customer reps for discounts. I don't mind paying premium prices if I get premium service which I generally do with DTV until I have to call customer service. The retentions rep saved a long time high end customer because I was ready to cancel...not over $10 bucks a month, but for the reasons I stated above. If she had done what you say she is "SUPPOSED TO DO" DTV would have lost $150-$200 bucks a month. She did what she could to make it right for a customer that was rightfully upset.

Wasn't directing that towards you, but rather the CSR's that misinform and mistreat customers such as yourself. Every CSR has the same rules and regs to go by...some give things and say things they aren't supposed to just to appease someone and get them off the phone. This to me is not customer service, because it sets one up for disappointment in the future. It's easy to give someone a discount yet by doing so you are setting an expectation, similar to letting your kid get away with coming in late past curfew, in order to avoid a conflict. By doing so you have set an expectation in that kids mind that they can come in late if you dont want to argue with them. Does that make sense?
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#2043 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:21 AM

After them denying over and over that they sent out emails extending the free HD and telling me there was no way they would extend it, I got the email yesterday. #SMH

#2044 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

You won't see an expiration date next to it. It is just listed as Advanced Receiver-HD 24 Months Free HD Access on your statement.

My bill just says "Advanced Receiver-HD Free HD Access -- no limitation noted.

#2045 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

I just looked at my e-mail again. I don't think it is saying that the promo is being expanded for another 2 years. I think it is just a confirmation that I have the 2 year promo and what I need to do to keep it. While it is a little confusing and misleading, if you can convince a CSR otherwise to extend your promo for another 2 years... :)

- Merg

Attached Thumbnails

• image-343902738.jpg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#2046 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

I think that might be true. For some reason, every time I change anything on my account at all, they mail me (physical mail) a card touting my free HD for two years, as well as the conditions required to maintain it. If you dont read it closely, it appears to me a renewal, but I checked after getting the last one, and the end date hasnt changed.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2047 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,889 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

I just looked at my e-mail again. I don't think it is saying that the promo is being expanded for another 2 years. I think it is just a confirmation that I have the 2 year promo and what I need to do to keep it. While it is a little confusing and misleading, if you can convince a CSR otherwise to extend your promo for another 2 years... :)

- Merg

But it in future tense, "will be getting", not "have been getting".

#2048 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

I was told last month by a CSR that my 24 month free hd access would end on 6/13. Just got my new statement and there's a line that reads "PLUS HD DVR 24 months free hd access" for the dates of 6/14 - 7/13. That suggests to me that I've had the free hd access renewed just as the email we received suggested (and I still can't help but read it as offering to keep the free access going for another 24 months as long as we meet the conditions). Of course, taken in context with what others are reporting here, there's really no way of telling. It'll be interesting to see what my bill looks like next month.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, Optical Audio to Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 3.41/.71 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#2049 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

I also got the email a few days ago that my free HD access would be extended another 24 months and that I had to maintain certain things in order to qualify for this extension.

Today, I received a post card in the mail saying that my free HD access has been stopped because I no longer have auto bill pay set up.

I did not change anything in my account. I immediately checked my account online and auto bill pay is set up, as it has been for a long time.

I guess I'm just going to wait until my next bill to see if they actually stopped this free HD access, as every time I call, it only seems to make matters worse.

Hopefully this post card was sent by mistake.

We will see.......

#2050 OFFLINE   Shad

Shad

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

I also got the email a few days ago that my free HD access would be extended another 24 months and that I had to maintain certain things in order to qualify for this extension.

Today, I received a post card in the mail saying that my free HD access has been stopped because I no longer have auto bill pay set up.

I did not change anything in my account. I immediately checked my account online and auto bill pay is set up, as it has been for a long time.

I guess I'm just going to wait until my next bill to see if they actually stopped this free HD access, as every time I call, it only seems to make matters worse.

We will see.......

I got the same card today. I had to call in to confirm everything is still set up. I have been on auto pay for years and received the free 24 months email a couple of week ago.

#2051 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

But it in future tense, "will be getting", not "have been getting".

Yeah, but I keep reading it as the confirmation notice that should have been sent to me when I first got the promo (kinda like they are just sending out the confirmation very, very, late)...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#2052 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:49 PM

Called directv today. CSR Added 12 months free HD to my account. Said it was the max length. I'll take it.:)
Got email on 6-8-2012 and post card in snail mail today saying set up autopay or lose my free HD access. Always had autopay directv has some issues they need to work out? Lol

Edited by dondude32, 18 June 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#2053 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

I decided to send an email to the VP's office. I'll try that route. I received that post card as well.

#2054 OFFLINE   Deftones

Deftones

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Called directv today. CSR Added 12 months free HD to my account. Said it was the max length. I'll take it.:)
Got email on 6-8-2012 and post card in snail mail today saying set up autopay or lose my free HD access. Always had autopay directv has some issues they need to work out? Lol

I just got the same postcard. I've been on autopay for about 6 months now. I am considering calling them just so I don't have to deal with the hassle later on.

#2055 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

I just got the same postcard. I've been on autopay for about 6 months now. I am considering calling them just so I don't have to deal with the hassle later on.

Call now. They said credit won't start till next month. I have to pay for this month.:confused:

#2056 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,249 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:32 PM

I got a card last month saying I got 24 months free HD for the next 2 years then today I got a card saying it will end if I dont sign up for autopay. I have autopay so I called and they said I need to call back on 7/5/12 to start the next 24 months?????????

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#2057 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,779 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

We will see.......

My Experience Today:

I received the post card saying my free HD Access has been stopped because I'm not on auto pay. (I've been on autopay since 1994).

I call and speak to a CSR who says the following:

1. You are on autopay.
2. You have not been taken off the free acccess.
3. I'll transfer you to "Promotions" to ensure that the next 24 months HD Access is free.

I talk to "Promotions"

1. You are not on autopay.
2. You have been taken off the Free HD Access program.
3. You can only get back on by signing a new 2 year contract.

I strenuously object, noting the email, with stated conditions that do not involve a contract extension. CSR puts me on hold.

4. CSR comes back: I can put you back on the Free HD Access, but only for 12 months.

I again object, she says, "That's all I can do"

I ask to be transferred to Customer Retention. She says, "We don't have any Customer Retention department. I say, Oh, yes you do. I'm going to hang up now and find a way to talk to them.

Call back, when prompted I say: Customer Retention. Automated voice asks, do you want to change programming or close your account. I reply, "I want to talk to someone about closing my account."

I get a Retention person (from the Department that DirecTV doesn't have).

1. Explain the entire fiasco: I do, I don't have free HD Access. I do I don't have auto pay. The attempt to coerce me into a new contract for 24 months. The modification of offering 12 months for no contract, but having to call back and go through this all over again in 12 months.

2. The retention person looked into it. Indicated I did have autopay, but, I had been dropped from the free hd access program and charged $10.00 on my current bill.

3. She said I'm going to check your account carefully and then I'll be back.

4. Came back: I have removed the $10.00 fee on the bill. I have verified that granting you a new 24 month extension of free hd access does not put you under a new 24 month contract. I have verified that correcting this problem in no way compromises your ability to negotiate equipment discounts when you choose to go under contract again.

5. I have renewed your 24 month free hd access.

================================

I don't like (this is my first time since 1995) calling retention.

The gross incompetence of the line level CSR, her alleged supervisor, and the Promotions department is beyond embarrassing. My hyperbolic mind wants to call it criminal, when it is clearly not.:)

They send out an offer. They then say it was a mistake (some say they said this). They email us a congrats, then take it back. (although not with any written notice). Then they tell us we are not on autopay, so we have lost what they offered/took back.

This would be funny if it weren't so damn annoying to have to call up and try to straighten things out with people who are hamstrung by a communications system that serves neither them, nor their customers.

The intra-company communications processes are inexcusably ineffective. The right hand not only doesn't know what the left hand is doing, it doesn't know there is a left hand.:) The attempt to extort a new contract out of me, for them to honor an existing offer wherein that was not required is unbelievably sloppy at best, and shady at worst.

It's all supposedly fixed now. Retentions was very, very good.

Whether they can actually see that this is properly "communicated" to whomever it needs to be, remains to be seen.

I have absolutely no faith, whatsoever in the communication processes within DirecTV.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#2058 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

Just got that postcard as well. So within 2 weeks I receive two LIES by DirecTV.

First was an email that stated:

Hello Valued Customer,

Thank you for being a DIRECTV customer. In addition to having the very best in entertainment, you will be receiving the HD experience you know and love FREE FOR 2 YEARS!

JUST A REMINDER

To continue to receive FREE HD Access, you simply need to maintain the following on your DIRECTV account during the 24-month offer period:

1. Auto Bill Pay
2. CHOICE™ or OPTIMO MÁS and above package
3. At least one(1) HD Receiver and HD Access

Failure to maintain these requirements will result in the $10 per month FREE HD Access credit being removed from your account.

NOT SURE IF YOU HAVE AUTO BILL PAY?

-------------------------------------

Second was this postcard that stated:

Our records indicate that you don't have Auto Bill Pay set up on your DIRECTV account.

To ensure your $10 monthly HD Access credit WILL be on your next bill, you must simply:...

Edited by DodgerKing, 18 June 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#2059 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

I know this will fall on deaf ears who want to interpret things how they want rather than how they are.

A: There is no longer an active promotion that will enable free HD for 24 months.
B: Anytime there is a billing change a reminder should get sent out to those on the promotion to remind them the qualifications in case they did something to remove it
C: The card states for free for 2 years and then 24 month offer period. It does not state it's been extended, it's been added again for another 24 months or that once it ends you will renew for 24 months.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2060 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:43 PM

I know this will fall on deaf ears who want to interpret things how they want rather than how they are.

A: There is no longer an active promotion that will enable free HD for 24 months.
B: Anytime there is a billing change a reminder should get sent out to those on the promotion to remind them the qualifications in case they did something to remove it
C: The card states for free for 2 years and then 24 month offer period. It does not state it's been extended, it's been added again for another 24 months or that once it ends you will renew for 24 months.

I understand what you're saying, but the e-mail that some of us received recently regarding free HD access leads us to believe that the free HD access will be continued for an additional 2 years:

"Hello Valued Customer,

Thank you for being a DIRECTV customer. In addition to having the very best in entertainment, you will be receiving the HD experience you know and love FREE FOR 2 YEARS!"

That sure sounds to me like I'm going to be getting free HD access for the next 2 years starting now. This (June) would be the last month of my previous 2 year HD access credit, so I'll wait until my July bill shows up to see for sure what happens.

Oh, and I also received the postcard today telling me that I no longer am enrolled in autopay, which I am and have been for several years.

HR24-100 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony One
HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony 880
HR21-700 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| Harmony 880

spam firewall