Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2101 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Here is the second email confirming the additional $10 credit for this month

--------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting DIRECTV. We have updated your account with a credit of $10.00. Please print or keep a copy of this email for your records.

To confirm that this credit has posted, just log in to your account (or register, if you haven't already done so) and click on the "Recent Activity" tab.

Take advantage of these other great online features to manage your account online anytime:

• Easily access and pay your bill online*, anytime

• Quickly browse programs and easily set your home DVR no matter where you are with any computer or mobile phone**

• Save $1.50† when you order DIRECTV CINEMA™ movies or Pay Per View events online

• Add the channels you've always wanted with just a click

Don't forget that you can visit directv.com anytime to view and make changes to your current programming, services and equipment.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2102 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,724 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

I'm just about to get my 22nd credit for HD, so I'm a couple more months from receiving a postcard, if any. After all of the feedback here, to the customer service agents, and on Facebook, I'd bet by that time DIRECTV will have corrected the emailing issues and they'll stop extending credits for anyone still calling in about Free HD and/or a postcard...

#2103 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

Major LMFAO when someone earlier in this thread said that

"if DTV was around in the 60's, they would still be charging a fee for color TV"
HR24-100
FIOS - Phone & 25/25 internet

#2104 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Major LMFAO when someone earlier in this thread said that

"if DTV was around in the 60's, they would still be charging a fee for color TV"

I still remember AT&T charging extra for "touch tone" when it actually cost them MORE to keep the customer on rotary.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2105 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

I know this will fall on deaf ears who want to interpret things how they want rather than how they are.

A: There is no longer an active promotion that will enable free HD for 24 months.
B: Anytime there is a billing change a reminder should get sent out to those on the promotion to remind them the qualifications in case they did something to remove it
C: The card states for free for 2 years and then 24 month offer period. It does not state it's been extended, it's been added again for another 24 months or that once it ends you will renew for 24 months.

I agree with your attempt to explain this, the big issue is DirecTV sends the email out basically after the 2 years/24 months is or about to expire. Extremely horrible timing for a computer glitch.

I dug up my original confirmation from two years ago, nearly identical, but....they added statement in the current email....

"Failure to maintain these requirements will result in the $10 per month FREE HD Access credit being removed from your account." can definitely confuse the general public.

I am all for paying fairly for a service....but....when this happens, there may need to be some compromises.

Attached Files

Edited by codespy, 19 June 2012 - 05:04 PM.

#2106 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

Got the email on June 8th and the postcard yesterday. called Directv today to ask about them both. I was told that the 24mos promo no longer existed and that both the email and postcard were sent to me in error. I asked to speak to a supervisor, best she could do was extend the free HD for another 12 mos.

#2107 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:50 PM

Got the email on June 8th and the postcard yesterday. called Directv today to ask about them both. I was told that the 24mos promo no longer existed and that both the email and postcard were sent to me in error. I asked to speak to a supervisor, best she could do was extend the free HD for another 12 mos.

If that was a front line csr, it sounds like the word got around quickly to give a year's free hd.

#2108 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

If that was a front line csr, it sounds like the word got around quickly to give a year's free hd.

I can assure you that is not the case.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2109 OFFLINE   DJ Rob

DJ Rob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

I called them today before seeing this thread after I got the email and postcard. I was told they would put me down for another 24 free months of HD.

Directv HR44-500, HR24-100, HR24-500
Samsung PN50A650, Denon AVR-2807

#2110 OFFLINE   rainydave

rainydave

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

The inconsistency is what kills me. Some people get an additional 12 months. Other people are told no completely.
Make a policy and stick to it.

#2111 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:51 PM

...and then there are people like myself that got the whole 24 months + an additional $10 off the base package for 12 months.

#2112 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hey, DirecTV just eliminate the $10 HD charge and be done with it.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#2113 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:08 PM

The inconsistency is what kills me. Some people get an additional 12 months. Other people are told no completely.
Make a policy and stick to it.

It's not a national offer or a set of parameters like the old offer was. It will now be based on the account and not all accounts are going to qualify for additional discounts. So there are policies that people are sticking to but it's not going to be one for all and all for one. It may look like chaos to you but it's organized chaos on the inside.

...and then there are people like myself that got the whole 24 months + an additional $10 off the base package for 12 months.

Considering there isn't a free HD promotion for 24 months I'm betting we're going to see some upset posts from you in the future. Perhaps there was something else that you qualified for but it was not specific to HD service at least for that time length.

Edited by Shades228, 19 June 2012 - 08:14 PM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2114 OFFLINE   cforrest

cforrest

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 813 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

They should charge those that want to watch 3D the $10 fee instead :lol:

D* Setup:

Slimline (AU9-S) w/no multiswitch
(1) HR21-100 0x87F (7/8/08 Made in Mexico) via HDMI to Pioneer PDP-6020FD
(1) HR24-100 0x87F (11/9/10 Made in Thailand) via HDMI to Panasonic TC-P58S2

FIOS 150/150

#2115 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

Considering there isn't a free HD promotion for 24 months I'm betting we're going to see some upset posts from you in the future. Perhaps there was something else that you qualified for but it was not specific to HD service at least for that time length.

I would be willing to bet that your are wrong on both accounts. First it says "Advanced Receiver-HD - 24mosFreeHDAcc". Second you are wrong about me being upset about other promotions

As far as other qualifications, two different CSRs tried to give me several different promotions but I did not accept them. The reason why was because it wasn't about the money, nothing interested me, nor do I expect to get anything for free. It was simply about them honoring their word and proper customer service.

One thing I hold in high regard as I get older is customer service. The fact that they fixed their mistake with me and honored their promise with something I did not need nor have to have, makes them more respectable. And I let them know as much as I can how much I appreciate it.

I noticed by your sig that you work for them. One thing that puts people in high regard is when they are able to admit their mistakes and correct them. Direct did just that. Now, only if you can do the same.

Every post you make in response to someone else comes off as an excuse for them or as a criticism for everyone else that questions the mistake they made that you keep excusing.

Is it possible for you to admit that they messed up? Which they did.

Is it possible for you to admit that the way it was written does indicate that we will be receiving another 24 months of free HD, especially considering it was written exactly as the first one we received 2 years ago when we first signed up for it?

Edited by DodgerKing, 19 June 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#2116 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:52 PM

Customer Advocacy group came through for me. Extra $10 for my final (24th) month of discount that they prematurely ended, plus a base package discount for another 24 months of $10.

They apologized for the email and the postcard.

I am pleased with the response and its quickness.

I'm out of commitment and declined a whole home dvr free upgrade a few months ago. Have Choice Extra Classic, HBO, HD Extra, Protection Plan (old one), and 1 HD and 1 SD receiver. Usually get Sunday ticket, but may not this year. In the past, they usually discount my Sunday ticket $250. Like to think I am a good customer, but there are many here who have more services than I do.

#2117 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:01 PM

They should charge those that want to watch 3D the $10 fee instead :lol:

I agree, or even better, charge $10 for accounts that use SD equipment instead of HD equipment....they would make more money. :eek2:

#2118 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

It's not a national offer or a set of parameters like the old offer was. It will now be based on the account and not all accounts are going to qualify for additional discounts. So there are policies that people are sticking to but it's not going to be one for all and all for one. It may look like chaos to you but it's organized chaos on the inside.

It says on his pending order he posted that he got exactly that. On mine it says 12 months advanced receiver hd free. Mine was done from the office of the president, maybe a bit higher up than you are.

#2119 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

I would be willing to bet that your are wrong.

As far as other qualifications, two different CSRs tried to give me several different promotions but I did not accept them. The reason why was because it wasn't about the money, nothing interested me, nor do I expect to get anything for free. It was simply about them honoring their word and proper customer service.

One thing I hold in high regard as I get older is customer service. The fact that they fixed their mistake with me and honored their promise with something I did not need nor have to have, makes them more respectable. And I let them know as much as I can how much I appreciate it.

I noticed by your sig that you work for them. One thing that puts people in high regard is when they are able to admit their mistakes and correct them. Direct did just that. Now, only if you can do the same.

Every post you make in response to someone else comes off as an excuse for them or as a criticism for everyone else that questions the mistake they made that you keep excusing.

Is it possible for you to admit that they messed up? Which they did.

Is it possible for you to admit that the way it was written does indicate that we will be receiving another 24 months of free HD, especially considering it was written exactly as the first one we received 2 years ago when we first signed up for it?

I can understand why you would think that the email is how you interprit it. However it's not what you state it is. I can't make you believe me and I've given up. Honestly most of my replies to your posts are not for you but are for people who end up here via a search engine and don't bother reading the entire thread just sticking to the end.

I can make mistakes, DIRECTV can make mistakes, anyone can make a mistake. When they happen they happen. So far I've posted things as they are and that's all I can do. I can't force people to believe me. I can only clarify things. I post here for others and attempt to help others when possible.

In this case I'm sorry but your interpritation of the letter is wrong. The letter states the term of the promotion only. It doesn't mean that just because you received it it was extended. If you didn't do any financial changes to the account such as updating payment information, changing programming, or suspend the account you shouldn't have gotten the email.

So what I would recommend for you is the following: Write an email and ask for what discounts are currently active on the account. The date they were added and the last month it will apply.

Someone else posted they received a discount of $10 off for 24 months. Perhaps that is what you got but it's not HD specific which is what I keep saying. If someone told you that they were going to do that for the HD service then I could also understand that. However if nothing new was added by a CSR on a call you were on, which you can check on recent transactions on the webpage, then once your original promotion ends that will be the end of it.

If you think that's an excuse so be it.

It says on his pending order he posted that he got exactly that. On mine it says 12 months advanced receiver hd free. Mine was done from the office of the president, maybe a bit higher up than you are.

You could have talked to just about any department and received that discount if your account was eligible for it. Many people have already qualified for it just because you speak to that department doesn't mean they use things that aren't available to other people.

I did miss his post of the recent activity but it still stands the discount is not active in the system like it was and I believe if what happened is what I think he will just end up upset in the future. However we'll just have to wait.

Edited by Shades228, 19 June 2012 - 09:31 PM.
Edited to add clarification to Stude's post which I missed

#2120 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

Read what it says in the image I posted. It states the same thing it stated on the previous free HD promotion. It says, "24mosFreeHDAcc". That means free HD for 24 months.

In the same image it also shows the $10 off the base package. So again, you are wrong about the free HD promotion. I got it, it shows it on the statement, and the CSR I spoke to today also confirmed I got just that.

Just because there is no "official" free HD promotion does not mean someone higher up cannot give me said promotion.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...