Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2121 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

This whole thing is a friggin mess! All of this confusion, inconsistency and incompetence should result in heads rolling from the top down. What a way to not run a business!
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2122 OFFLINE   rebkell

rebkell

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

What a load of malarkey this whole fiasco is. What about the $10 credit that they accidentally removed last year about this time. I was told it would be tacked on to the end, but they couldn't give it back, that sure was a lot of $10 accidents they got that month.

I got the email stating that I would continue to receive free HD access for the next 24 months if I stayed on Auto-pay and met the other conditions, of which I do. Then got the post card saying I didn't qualify, which is nonsense, haven't changed a thing in over 3 or 5 years concerning billing and the package I receive.

No one will convince me that these little fiascos aren't intentional, they always favor Directv and they can amount to large sums of money when you get these extra $10 months out of nowhere when the revenues come in for the month.

#2123 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

I highly doubt there is anything they can offer me that is better than $20 off a month for 1 year and $10 off a month for an additional year. I don't watch movies. I don't care for MRV. The only sport I watch is baseball and I turned down 1/2 off EI they offered earlier this year while I already had 3 other discounts in effect because it still wasn't as good as MLB.TV. There is nothing they can offer for watching outside my house as I already have a Slingbox.

Besides what makes you think I can't get anything else because I already have this promo? I currently have 3 in effect now and had as many as 5 at a time: free 24 months HD, $10 off for 12 months, free RZ, free HD extra for a year (still have this one currently as well), and free Showtime for 6 months all at the same time. And I was offered 1/2 off EI during this time and turned it down as well (would have made 6 promos at one time).

Edited by DodgerKing, 19 June 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#2124 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:10 AM

I highly doubt there is anything they can offer me that is better than $20 off a month for 1 year and $10 off a month for an additional year. I don't watch movies. I don't care for MRV. The only sport I watch is baseball and I turned down 1/2 off EI they offered earlier this year while I already had 3 other discounts in effect because it still wasn't as good as MLB.TV. There is nothing they can offer for watching outside my house as I already have a Slingbox.

Besides what makes you think I can't get anything else because I already have this promo? I currently have 3 in effect now and had as many as 5 at a time: free 24 months HD, $10 off for 12 months, free RZ, free HD extra for a year (still have this one currently as well), and free Showtime for 6 months all at the same time. And I was offered 1/2 off EI during this time and turned it down as well (would have made 6 promos at one time).

Wow! You're one lucky guy.

I am an eight year customer currently under no commitment and have never missed a payment. My current monthly bill is over a $190.00, and these are my latest credits.

1. Free HD access ($10.00) for 12 months (I think)?
2. Primary TV free ($6.00) for how long?

That's it. When I asked the csr the other night if I was eligible for any other credits or promos, she said that I was getting all that I was eligible for.

So, again, you're one lucky guy, or maybe I'm one unlucky guy?

How did you get an offer for one half off of MLB EI? I get that every year and they never offered that to me.

Again, just my luck.

If Dish ever gets EI, I'm outta here.......

#2125 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

I am an eight year customer currently under no commitment and have never missed a payment. My current monthly bill is over a $190.00, and these are my latest credits.

That's it. When I asked the csr the other night if I was eligible for any other credits or promos, she said that I was getting all that I was eligible for.

How did you get an offer for one half off of MLB EI? I get that every year and they never offered that to me.

Again, just my luck.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the free primary TV is not a credit per se. The first TV is included in your programming package. Some states require that DirecTV price it out separately and then credit it back for tax purposes.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#2126 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

Hate to burst your bubble, but the free primary TV is not a credit per se. The first TV is included in your programming package. Some states require that DirecTV price it out separately and then credit it back for tax purposes.

- Merg

Wow! Thanks a lot. Now I'm really depressed.:D

#2127 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:52 AM

Again, just my luck.

Everyone gets the $6.00 off the primary TV. They never charged for that one. The only difference is now they show it on the bill and I think it is for book keeping and tax purposes???

As far as getting the promotions, I simply call and ask. I do so very nicely, praising them, and letting them know that I do not expect anything, I just want to give them a chance to offer what another provider is offering or another service is offering.

For example, at the beginning of this baseball season I called and told them I was going to sign up with MLB.TV again this year after subbing to EI for 5 straight years two years ago. I would be willing to sub to EI again in place of MLB.TV if they could match the price. I then told them about all of the features that make MLB.TV better than EI. They could only give me about $10 off the package for each payment. I turned them down and signed up with MLB.TV. I thanked them for their assistance but told them MLB.TV would still be less money and a better option.

Later I called about a different issue with some of my channels not coming in. While on the phone they offered me 3 free months of all of the premiums. I said I really appreciate it, but I do not watch movies and asked them if there was anything else they could offer me. They offered the same deal again for EI. I told them I already signed up for MLB.TV and the only way I can do EI now is if they gave it to me for free (slightly joking around as I knew they would never do that). They offered it to me for half price. I told them I would have taken that deal if I had the same offer last time I called, but it is too late now as I am already paying for MLB.TV service; I could not justify paying for both even though EI is a really good deal. Again, I thanked them and they then gave me free HD Extra package for 12 months. Since I already had it and was paying for it, I took it.

#2128 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

Everyone gets the $6.00 off the primary TV. They never charged for that one. The only difference is now they show it on the bill and I think it is for book keeping and tax purposes???

As far as getting the promotions, I simply call and ask. I do so very nicely, praising them, and letting them know that I do not expect anything, I just want to give them a chance to offer what another provider is offering or another service is offering.

For example, at the beginning of this baseball season I called and told them I was going to sign up with MLB.TV again this year after subbing to EI for 5 straight years two years ago. I would be willing to sub to EI again in place of MLB.TV if they could match the price. I then told them about all of the features that make MLB.TV better than EI. They could only give me about $10 off the package for each payment. I turned them down and signed up with MLB.TV. I thanked them for their assistance but told them MLB.TV would still be less money and a better option.

Later I called about a different issue with some of my channels not coming in. While on the phone they offered me 3 free months of all of the premiums. I said I really appreciate it, but I do not watch movies and asked them if there was anything else they could offer me. They offered the same deal again for EI. I told them I already signed up for MLB.TV and the only way I can do EI now is if they gave it to me for free (slightly joking around as I knew they would never do that). They offered it to me for half price. I told them I would have taken that deal if I had the same offer last time I called, but it is too late now as I am already paying for MLB.TV service; I could not justify paying for both even though EI is a really good deal. Again, I thanked them and they then gave me free HD Extra package for 12 months. Since I already had it and was paying for it, I took it.

I believe my conversations with DTV CSR's were similar in nature to the ones you just mentioned. I was always polite and never demanded anything .

Like I said, just my luck I guess.

Hey DK, would you be available next time I go car shopping?:)

#2129 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

I believe my conversations with DTV CSR's were similar in nature to the ones you just mentioned. I was always polite and never demanded anything .

Like I said, just my luck I guess.

Hey DK, would you be available next time I go car shopping?:)

It is more about timing and living in an area with a lot of competition (TWC, FiOS, DirecTV, Dish, and good streaming service).

For the car I do know a fleet dealer so I always get good deals. ;):P

#2130 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:35 AM

I also got the postcard, after getting the email. I called DirecTV and was told that I received the "advertisement" in error. The email I might understand as a technical glitch, but having made up, printed and paid for postage on the postcards, sent months after the promotion supposedly ended, is just mind-boggling. DirecTV is spending a lot of money in postage, CSR time and upset customers due to this glitch.

Steve

My Setup

#2131 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

I emailed ellen.filipiak, mentioned the outgoing email and postcard, and got a call back this morning from the Office of the President. A technical glitch was blamed and both the outgoing email and postcard were referred to as errors. Apparently DirecTV is in efforts to prevent the email and postcard from going out in the future to others who may have participated in the offer.

I had to gently push to get a clear admittance the HD credit was not renewed (up until that point there was just reference to the error and how DirecTV understood it was confusing to receive mixed messages) and be offered a $10/month credit for six months since the rep could not see any other arrangements (e.g. different package) that were available.

I'll reevaluate in six months.

#2132 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 818 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

It's not a national offer or a set of parameters like the old offer was. It will now be based on the account and not all accounts are going to qualify for additional discounts. So there are policies that people are sticking to but it's not going to be one for all and all for one. It may look like chaos to you but it's organized chaos on the inside.

How nice for Directv. When it looks like chaos to the customer, it IS chaos.

Take a little time and go to Harvard Business School, or any other. One of the first things you'll be taught is that giving the customer inconsistent messages, poor communications, and creating confusion is how you'll assure the customer will go away and never come back.

In essence, my experience with Directv's management suggests that they really couldn't find their own butt cheeks with both hands and a swivel waist. It just happens they have a nice product at a nice price, so their lack of customer service awareness hasn't really caused them that much of a problem.

Plus having those big early termination fees sure curbs pissed off people from walking. At least for a while.

Fact, is there IS a national offer to give new customers free hd for life. Not offering that to existing customers is simply stupid and going to create problems.

Some people here sent emails and got an extension. I got an invitation to waste another 30 minutes of my life on the phone with directv, who absolutely will give me free HD for the rest of my life AND a bunch of other free stuff now that I have to spend some time on it.

#2133 OFFLINE   t_h

t_h

Icon

• Registered
  • 818 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

Well I thought this routine couldn't get any dumber, but I was wrong.

I called retentions and she said there was nothing wrong with my account and I was still scheduled to get the credit.

Not satisfied with that, since I already got an email from customer support saying that I no longer qualified for the credit, I called the regular number.

Lady there said I shouldn't have gotten the post card, my autopay was fine, but confirmed that I would not receive the credit after this month.

So she gave it to me for another year plus another $5.

So it cost directv $60 and 30 minutes of my time to send me this post card. Seems like a fair trade.

Both CSR's said they never heard about this 'problem' and I was the first person they spoke with about it, and that it was just some crazy computer glitch.

#2134 OFFLINE   xtremeflyer

xtremeflyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

For another datapoint I heard back from the executive team and they gave me a 1-time $120 credit. I had been out of the HD credit for a few months now, so the email was even weirder for me since I wasn't currently in the promotion like others were.

Shows up on my bill as Customer Retention.

Edited by xtremeflyer, 20 June 2012 - 03:35 PM.

#2135 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:18 PM

Generally, everyone is for a major upgrade around the account anniversary date. Other discounts can be obtained at any time. They aren't offered though, you have to ask for something specific. If DirecTV can't/won't agree to whatever you asked for, the rep will usually counter with something in the same general category...and almost always include 3 months of HBO at no charge.

If you are out of contract and it's not your anniversary, just say cancel at the prompt that asks what you are calling about and tell the rep what you want. It's really that simple.

People who complain about this retention dance miss the point entirely: DirecTV wants to maximize the total profit. Why decrease the price to those who are satisfied paying it? And why turn away business as long as it maintains a minimal level of profit?

#2136 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

I also received both the email and postcard. I found it strange that the post card indicated I am in danger of losing the $10 credit. I have always been on paperless statements and autopay. I recieved the following email back from them.

"Thanks for writing us back. I understand how you feel about the HD Access offer. I see that you have been with us for many years. We appreciate your continued patronage.

All our promotions are subject to eligibility. Our record shows that the offer you have accepted is 24 months free HD Access. The free HD for Life offer was a limited time offer available for new customers only. I can confirm that the appropriate credits were applied on your account and you have one remaining credit for the free HD Access to complete the 24 months offer.

We know you have a choice when it comes to programming providers, and we must work hard to earn your business. We would like to speak with you to see how we can help you and show you why DIRECTV is the best choice in home entertainment. Please call us at 800-531-5000 so we can assist you as speaking with us is the best way to address concerns like this.

We strive to provide the finest in satellite television entertainment and we have many options for our loyal customers like you."

I will take this matter into my states attorney general consumer protection agency, and encourage you all to do the same. Don't settle for 12 months, if you received written notification it would be an additional 24 months.

#2137 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:21 PM

man $10.00????
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#2138 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Generally, everyone is for a major upgrade around the account anniversary date. Other discounts can be obtained at any time. They aren't offered though, you have to ask for something specific. If DirecTV can't/won't agree to whatever you asked for, the rep will usually counter with something in the same general category...and almost always include 3 months of HBO at no charge.

If you are out of contract and it's not your anniversary, just say cancel at the prompt that asks what you are calling about and tell the rep what you want. It's really that simple.

People who complain about this retention dance miss the point entirely: DirecTV wants to maximize the total profit. Why decrease the price to those who are satisfied paying it? And why turn away business as long as it maintains a minimal level of profit?

The next time I call DTV and say "cancel" at the prompt, it will be because I'm really cancelling.

I just can't do that dance. I'm not a wheeler and dealer, and apparently that's what you need to be to get a decent deal with DTV.

I don't know if Dish operates the same way, but I'm tempted to find out.

#2139 OFFLINE   Rocko62580

Rocko62580

Legend

• Registered
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:46 AM

man $10.00????

Yup. Its the principal. I was promised one thing in an email and now it is taken back. If I did that in my business my clients would have my head.

#2140 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

The next time I call DTV and say "cancel" at the prompt, it will be because I'm really cancelling.

I just can't do that dance. I'm not a wheeler and dealer, and apparently that's what you need to be to get a decent deal with DTV.

I don't know if Dish operates the same way, but I'm tempted to find out.

While Dish and Direct are similar in how they do these things, in general I've found that Direct is more conducive to do something quicker than was Dish. Of course, it still depends way too much on who you talk to, how you talk to them, when you talk to them than it should be, and that is the major irritant in these deals, imo.

And while some current and ex employees of both services tell us that there is a method to the madness, to the consumer (us) it appears to be a crap shoot. And as more and more of us talk about these things, it appears more crap shoot than any logical reasoning behind who gets what, regardless of all the posts that claim otherwise.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...