Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2161 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

Exactly why do you think it's wrong? How is it different from airfares where people in adjacent seats may have paid very different amounts for their tickets or "preferred" customer programs with discounts?

No one needs anything DirecTV is providing; we all have other options for news and entertainment. If any one of us feels that the total cost of service is too much for him he can ask for a reduction of some sort ...or discontinue. It really is just that simple.

I think it's wrong that Directv charges differently for the same services. Clearly if they can offer so many discounts, they could charge everyone a little less and charge the same. I also think it's wrong that airlines charge differently for the same seats for whatever reason. If you are a preferred customer based on amount paid per month, perhaps a small discount is in order, but to offer new customers a $10/month lifetime discount over 10+ customers isn't fair to me. Of course no one needs Directv. I choose them because they have the programming best suited to my desires. I simply think they could be more equitable in how they price it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2162 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Kinda like NFLST on Directv.:grin:

I was thinking the same thing.

#2163 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:24 AM

Kinda like NFLST on Directv.:grin:

Kinda like everything.

#2164 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

I think it's wrong that Directv charges differently for the same services. Clearly if they can offer so many discounts, they could charge everyone a little less and charge the same.

Then folks would just ask for discounts off of the lower rates and DirecTV would make dramatically less money. After all, they are in the business of providing television service via satellite...for a profit. Maximizing that profit is sort of the point. Welcome to America...it's been this way forever.

#2165 OFFLINE   rakstr

rakstr

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Then folks would just ask for discounts off of the lower rates and DirecTV would make dramatically less money. After all, they are in the business of providing television service via satellite...for a profit. Maximizing that profit is sort of the point. Welcome to America...it's been this way forever.

I agree but there are multiple business models. Southwest operates in the mode some are desiring for DTV. Not saying one is better than the other but I have to say I prefer the Southwest model, including when I buy cars :)

#2166 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 808 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:17 AM

You can justify it all you want. It said, WILL and it said CONTINUE after it was expired. There is no other way to interpret it. WILL Be is future tense. Continue to is present. Neither one was true as it expired. The only way for it to be true is for them to offer it again.

It did clearly state it. Again, it said "WILL BE" (meaning it is going to happen) and it said "CONTINUE" (meaning it will still be happening even though your first 24 month promotion expired)

To add to what you are saying, the title of the email says "Your DIRECTV Free HD Confirmation." Between the title, the "WILL BE" part and the complete lack of anything in the notification saying this is an extension of an existing credit, it tells me it's a new credit being applied to my account.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#2167 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:27 AM

Just an observation. The value of posts in this thread is that they provide information for others showing that DIRECTV is, in fact, granting renewals/extensions of the free HD credits. Further, those posts can provide those interested in getting a renewal with information about how to go about getting the renewals and give them documentation to use with DIRECTV to show that others are, in fact, being granted the renewals. On the other hand, the arguments/sniping related to whether DIRECTV should be giving free HD or other billing credits just detracts from and dilutes the value of the useful posts.

#2168 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

I want some free **** or i'm leaving

I can't speak for others, but that was not what I was thinking. In fact if you read all of my posts I state exactly the opposite.

I mentioned how I understand that they cannot give things away for free and I do not expect anything for free.

My take was that we were offered something (at least that is what was printed) and they did not honor their offer, which is not good customer service.

I simply called to see if I can still get what I thought I was going to get, and I did. If I did not get it I would not have left.

But, when one does lose promotions and their bill does go up as a result ($25 per month with my promotions), I can understand people leaving to find better deals. They are not leaving because they are not getting free things, they are leaving because they find a less expensive alternative. A nice attribute with having competition and choices.

#2169 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

I realize the horse is probably out of the barn, but if they charged the way I suggested from the beginning, they could hold the line on no discounts. That would be much more fair than giving discounts to those who are better at negotiating. Their bottom line wouldn't change, they would still be making billions like they are now. I'm not begrudging them making lots of money, but they could be more fair in how they go about it.

#2170 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

I realize the horse is probably out of the barn, but if they charged the way I suggested from the beginning, they could hold the line on no discounts. That would be much more fair than giving discounts to those who are better at negotiating. Their bottom line wouldn't change, they would still be making billions like they are now. I'm not begrudging them making lots of money, but they could be more fair in how they go about it.

You're not thinking big enough.

Reduce customers bills by $1 and they have a $20 million dollar loss. If you got a notification saying "No more discounts ever but you now receive a $1 discount off of your current package price." how would you reply? People pitch a fit over "only" getting $10 off for 12 months and you think that a $1 savings to everyone would solve this issue? They're not going to dole out hundreds of millions of dollars as it's not economical and a $5 savings is $100 million loss.

FYI if you have a 401k or a money fund of any kind the stock increase that's been had with this plan has given you more than you probably realize.

Maybe one day if all customers setup autobill pay. Didn't call in 20 times or lie about things to get their way businesses would change their practices some. However it wouldn't be enough to appease people because the share holders would want higher profits and then the customer's would also try and find ways to manipulate the system.

It's just how it is and this system is what DIRECTV has decided works best for them. Considering the growth of the company and the success of the stock the majority are in agreement.

Not everyone is equal and and it's not fair to treat everyone as if they were.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2171 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Well, other providers would offer discounts and well...it's just a whole pandora's box thing.

#2172 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:22 PM

The reason the credit is offered it is to compete with cable plans that do not charge extra for HD.

Not quite. The reason this offer was made two years ago was in direct response to DISH advertising "Free HD for Life". DirecTV then also offered new customers free HD, and in an unusual move, created a way for existing customers to also get that benefit, though limited to two years.

If I had not received the email and then the postcard from DirecTV, I would have just gritted my teeth and take the increase, since it was limited. But DirecTV told me twice that I still qualified for the credit, so I expected them to honor it. Eventually they did, for me, but clearly not for everyone else here.

Steve

My Setup

#2173 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,555 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

If DirecTV would like to reduce the number of calls to their CSRs, they would just eliminate this extra charge. :)
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#2174 OFFLINE   vbush

vbush

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTexas (Tyler DMA)

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

If DirecTV would like to reduce the number of calls to their CSRs, they would just eliminate this extra charge. :)

That is true. Customers that signed up when it was free for life will eventually be old customers. A year from now many of them will be customers for 3 years and still get free HD. A year from now I will be a customer for 6 years and they expect me to pay for HD. They will continue to credit many of us every year or we will walk. I suppose the only reason they benefit from playing this game is 90% of their old customers don't even realize they are paying for something others aren't. The smart move would be trying to move folks off SD as soon as possible and eliminate the need for transmitting the duplicate SD feeds. Just my opinion.

Slimline-55 (SWM)  >  HR 44-500 (AM-21)   +   HR 24-100  

#2175 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:48 AM

That is true. Customers that signed up when it was free for life will eventually be old customers. A year from now many of them will be customers for 3 years and still get free HD. A year from now I will be a customer for 6 years and they expect me to pay for HD. They will continue to credit many of us every year or we will walk. I suppose the only reason they benefit from playing this game is 90% of their old customers don't even realize they are paying for something others aren't. The smart move would be trying to move folks off SD as soon as possible and eliminate the need for transmitting the duplicate SD feeds. Just my opinion.

I think you are correct. Most people probably don't even know what is going on with D* since they probably never go to their web site, or get into forums like this one. I'm sure they get offers from D* in the mail, but if they are like the ones I get, they are promos for new services with some sort of discount or free for a short while to get them to sign up for the new service. I wonder if they do send SD customers offers to upgrade to HD.

#2176 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:17 AM

I wonder if they do send SD customers offers to upgrade to HD.

From what I've seen, the answer is no they do not. When an existing customer buys a new TV and calls to say he needs HD, the rep responds by telling him that a) he'll need a new receiver which will generate a new 2-year committment and B) an additional charge of $10 will be added to his bill. If (and only if) the customer mentions that competitors in his area do not charge extra for HD, he'll get the credit.

#2177 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

Not quite. The reason this offer was made two years ago was in direct response to DISH advertising "Free HD for Life". DirecTV then also offered new customers free HD, and in an unusual move, created a way for existing customers to also get that benefit, though limited to two years.

I guess it's an example of how most subscribers aren't as aware of these offers as board members here. Two years ago, we didn't have HD so we weren't paying attention to anything that mentioned HD. In fact, that was about the time we switched to U-Verse (still with SD-only). A few days before we bought an HDTV, we got a mailer from TWC touting free HD so I asked for, and received, a credit from ATT when we upgraded. Upon returning to DirecTV, I mentioned the TWC "free HD" policy and immediately got a credit (with no limit stated on the bill).

The bottom line seems to be that it is a competitve policy.

If I had not received the email and then the postcard from DirecTV, I would have just gritted my teeth and take the increase, since it was limited. But DirecTV told me twice that I still qualified for the credit, so I expected them to honor it. Eventually they did, for me, but clearly not for everyone else here.

Anyone who received a written statement that the credit would be continued shouldn't accept the "it was a mistake" excuse. If that happened to me, I'd file a complaint with the FTC and copy DirecTV.

#2178 OFFLINE   xtremeflyer

xtremeflyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

This is what JC Penny thought too.. Instead of having sales every weekend and only being able to sell an item if it was 40% off, they said "we're just not going to have any sales and slash prices on everything to a fair price".. Their sales dropped 20% in the first quarter. They are now starting to have "sales" again, but to do that, they are going to have to raise prices.

Americans are addicted to discounts.. We want to think we are getting something cheaper than the next guy, even if we aren't.

#2179 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Penny's problem is those that are looking for "everyday low prices" arent going to Pennys, they are going to WalMart.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2180 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

I guess it's an example of how most subscribers aren't as aware of these offers as board members here. Two years ago, we didn't have HD so we weren't paying attention to anything that mentioned HD. In fact, that was about the time we switched to U-Verse (still with SD-only). A few days before we bought an HDTV, we got a mailer from TWC touting free HD so I asked for, and received, a credit from ATT when we upgraded. Upon returning to DirecTV, I mentioned the TWC "free HD" policy and immediately got a credit (with no limit stated on the bill).

In all fairness, TWC does not really offer free HD. They just put the additional HD charge on the HD receiver instead of on the package. This is simply a marketing ploy. DirecTV is one of the few companies that charges the exact same receiver fee regardless of which type it is, $6. You get the credit back for the first one.

spam firewall