Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

I get DTV via Verizon. I guess the bill gets paid automatically, since I don't pay it directly. I would like to know if I qualify before I call, because there is no way I can meet the specific terms being mentioned here.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#202 OFFLINE   ronkuba

ronkuba

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:18 PM

Got it thanks:)
(2)HR34-700:D
Swim16 All networked via DECA
Samsung PN64D8000
Samsung 40" LCD TV
Directv since 1995

#203 OFFLINE   blitzingATK

blitzingATK

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Got it also. Just a little bit of time on hold for an account review.
CSR made it clear at the end of 24 mos. I would be charged for HD access.

Someone remind me to call back then.

#204 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Has anyone gotten this without autopay? I am still leery of getting on their autopay

Autopay is a requirement for sure ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#205 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

I had TC+. They said it could not be added to it and was not showing in the system. As soon as they speced out my account with Choice Xtra it came through just fine.

So its looking like Choice Xtra and above PLUS auto pay are the two requirements. Has anyone tried with one of the grandfathered packs? Friend of mine is in that boat and never calls.

#206 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,717 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:34 PM

So, this free HD offer for 24 months is also valid for current customers (I've been with D* since 1998)? We just have to call and ask for it?

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#207 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,911 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:52 PM

Autopay=Arm Twisting

#208 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

Awesome! Got it too as an existing customer, no problem. Kept my grandfathered package, and turned MRV back on while I was on the phone (I can handle $3 for MRV if I'm saving $7). Love this forum.

#209 OFFLINE   sunfire9us

sunfire9us

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

Yes they will lose $10/mo. for each qualified account. So far there is no other fee increases to offset such loss. But apparently both of them consider this a necessary evil in order to respond to cable's "no HD fee" slogan.

What the Dish subs should hope for is DirecTV starting to put in its ads everywhere that "there is only one DVR fee no matter how many DVRs do you have," then maybe Dish will follow.

I was about to mention till you said it, the cable companies appear to be the first ones who have started doing away with charging their customers extra for hdtv. I noticed this when watching the Padres games via MLB EX on Cox's channel 4 telecasts where Cox keeps showing advertisements saying they dont charge for hdtv now. I have a feeling eventually both DTV and Dishnet will drop the hdtv fee altogether and they will expand their hdtv channel line up ( like the hdtv extra pack ) and thats where they will end up making up the difference from the loss of the hdtv fee we now pay

#210 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:09 PM

Just had one of the shortest conversations ever with D*. Told Victoria what I wanted, she said hold on for a minute and then told me it was done. Checked my account and it now says:

06/05/2010 XXXXXXXX HD Access - 24mosFreeHDAcc ($10.00) $0.00

Wish all my contacts with them were this fast/easy.

I too had a wonderful experience today. I called to add whole house DVR to my grandfathered TC extra w/HDDVR and figured I was going to run into some trouble based on that package. Whole house was added with no problem and I figured what the heck...asked about the HD deal. End result, 24 months free HD now on TC Ultra and overall price is now $1 less than previous (was $79/month without whole home, now $68+$7+$3/month with more channels).

Thanks DirecTV (even though I stand by my comment that HD should not be extra...period). Was even reminded that my auto-renewal for ST now included the HD without having to have SF. I guess I've been one of the lucky ones to have generally good results when dealing with DirecTV CSRs. :righton:
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#211 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

I feel like Charlie Brown. Long hold then disconnected.

Got it too. Oddly, the rep asked me who my Internet provider was. When I told them, he said that was the preferred one in my area. Odd, as they (the phone company) is now a competitor.

Edited by dpeters11, 05 June 2010 - 03:46 PM.

#212 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

I got the offer, but not without a lot of hassle. The first rep transferred me to a second, who vehemently denied such a thing existed, even after he "checked" with someone else. I insisted he check again, and, like magic, he found it. He said he had not "updated" to see the latest promotions. Sheesh! TC+

Steve

My Setup

#213 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

I too had a wonderful experience today. I called to add whole house DVR to my grandfathered TC extra w/HDDVR and figured I was going to run into some trouble based on that package. Whole house was added with no problem and I figured what the heck...asked about the HD deal. End result, 24 months free HD now on TC Ultra and overall price is now $1 less than previous (was $79/month without whole home, now $68+$7+$3/month with more channels).

Thanks DirecTV (even though I stand by my comment that HD should not be extra...period). Was even reminded that my auto-renewal for ST now included the HD without having to have SF. I guess I've been one of the lucky ones to have generally good results when dealing with DirecTV CSRs. :righton:

My experience was good also.
My thoughts on giving existing subs that go out of there way and call, ask for the 2 year free deal won't impact Direct profits at all.
The small number of people that actually read these forums compared to millions of subs is a drop in the bucket.
Plus I signed up for NFL ticket and wasn't planning on it at all. Get a couple hundred like that covers any loss.

Thanks for DBS talk

#214 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

I get DTV via Verizon. I guess the bill gets paid automatically, since I don't pay it directly. I would like to know if I qualify before I call, because there is no way I can meet the specific terms being mentioned here.

Mine is also on Verizon One Bill [with their auto pay] ($6 credit off the Directv bill for that) and they game me 6 months for HD Access as I posted earlier. I didn't see it listed under my account's recent activity and I called back. They made sure this time that it went through.

Now it appears as:
06/05/2010 HD Access - 6mosFree HDExist ($10.00)

I also noticed
06/05/2010 $10/6MSummerCRG ($10.00)
I don't even remember what that promo was for.

I'm also getting a $10/mo "broadband customer" credit for a year.

On the 5/22, when I tried to cancel HBO they talked me into keeping it for $10 and throwing in Cinemax (2/1). Plus he put on Starz and the HD Extra Pack free for 3 months with it. I was already subbing to Show.

Lastly in my recent MRV upgrade they waived the $49 install charge (I paid $99 upgrade charge), let me get a HR24 for $99 and then wound up getting another for free.

My bill has run in the range from $95-$115 in recent months, with 4 receivers and TLC+. However Directv has shown some flexibility as well.:)
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#215 OFFLINE   Bofurley

Bofurley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 321 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

Well I could not get the 24 months, I am not interested in the autopay part. But I did get a very nice CSR, and she gave me 6 months at $10.00 off. I ended up changing packages to the premier package so I ended up with the following credits $25.00 off for 90 days, and then $20.00 for 6 months.
I came away a very happy camper!

#216 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:39 PM

Mine is also on Verizon One Bill [with their auto pay] ($6 credit off the Directv bill for that) and they game me 6 months for HD Access as I posted earlier. I didn't see it listed under my account's recent activity and I called back. They made sure this time that it went through.

Now it appears as:
06/05/2010 HD Access - 6mosFree HDExist ($10.00)

I also noticed
06/05/2010 $10/6MSummerCRG ($10.00)
I don't even remember what that promo was for.

)

Hm, I wonder if that 10/6MSummerCRG is reflective of my first call today?? Could it have actually showed up several hours later after my 2nd rep put it in as well with his own language?
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#217 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:02 PM

Just called and got the 24 month deal as well

#218 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:19 PM

It is worth it to me to pay $10/mo to NOT have autopay. There are still some things I want control over like who I pay when. 9 years of Premier (under all of its iterations during that time) and never being late should count for something.

Also never gotten any type of freebies during that time. Hopefully that comes in handy when I add two more receivers soon.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#219 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

It is worth it to me to pay $10/mo to NOT have autopay. There are still some things I want control over like who I pay when. 9 years of Premier (under all of its iterations during that time) and never being late should count for something.

Also never gotten any type of freebies during that time. Hopefully that comes in handy when I add two more receivers soon.

What is the big deal about autopay? I have had autopay for the entire 10 years I have been with them. They have always charged it directly to my credit card. I have never had an issue.

#220 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

I guess I am not eligible as I am in the first year of subbing which ends Aug1. He told me to call back. I guess I am already getting $10 credit for the first year or service. And he said its ongoing for existing customers.

Correct or ?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...