Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2181 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:47 PM

They just put the additional HD charge on the HD receiver instead of on the package. This is simply a marketing ploy. DirecTV is one of the few companies that charges the exact same receiver fee regardless of which type it is, $6.

That doesn't seem to be the case in this market. All of my friends who upgraded to HD just did a no-charge exchange for the receiver and were done with no increase at all to the total bill.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2182 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:42 PM

Penny's problem is those that are looking for "everyday low prices" arent going to Pennys, they are going to WalMart.

...and there are tons of "sales" at Wally World, they are labeled "Rollbacks", they also price match any local retail competitor, and then there are the "Clearance" items, and the infamous "Green Stickered" items.

They may have Everyday Low Prices, but they have plenty of sales, as well.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#2183 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

In all fairness, TWC does not really offer free HD. They just put the additional HD charge on the HD receiver instead of on the package. This is simply a marketing ploy. DirecTV is one of the few companies that charges the exact same receiver fee regardless of which type it is, $6. You get the credit back for the first one.

I doubt TWC charges $99/$199/$399 to lease their boxes up front either.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2184 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Do the math and tell me what's better over 2 years.

Select
Type of Box Monthly Price/Box
Whole House HD DVR & HD Box Package$44.49
Whole House 2 HD DVRs Package$64.48
HD DVR Box and Service$23.20
DVR Box and Service$23.20
HD Box$10.25
Digital Box$10.25
CableCARD™$2.00

At least that's what they charge in NY if you lived at 192 E 10th ST 10118 if you want to check.

Edited by Shades228, 23 June 2012 - 07:20 PM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2185 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

^^^^^^^^^

Do the math and tell me what's better over 2 years.

TWC Whole House 2 HD DVRs Package$64.48 = $1547.52 for 2 yrs

DirecTV:
"DVR/HD/MRV" fees package $20/mo x24 = $480
2 HR2x DVR's up front fee = $398
1 "ADDL RCVR FEE $6 x 24 = $144

DirecTV = $1022 for 2yrs (not taking into consideration that most people DO NOT pay up front fees to DirecTV for most hardwarewhen they start service)

Disclaimer: List prices per previous message. Both companies have promotions & discounts, programming is not included and I have no idea what TWC charges for programming.

#2186 OFFLINE   montanaxvi

montanaxvi

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Not one for dead horse beating but I wanted to jump in again with something else regarding this issue/non issue.

I posted on the 15th that I had gotten the e-mail stating as long as I kept ABP that I would get the $10/month credit, as most others have gotten.

I have not added, changed, removed anything to/from my account for the system to generate any messages, e-mail or postcards so I assumed, as have most others, this meant I was getting another 2 year credit.

I can see people speaking of a post card they are getting telling them shortly after the e-mail that they are no longer on ABP and that upon calling in they are told this was sent out in error and that they have to haggle to get the $10/month credit. Some are successful, some are not.

FFWD to today, 6/25 and I too, get a postcard in the mail, however mine says nothing to the effect of me NOT having ABP. My postcard on the front has my name, address, etc and says in bold letters YOU NOW HAVE FREE HAD ACCESS FOR TWO YEARS. Flip it over and it details the qualifications to keep the credit.

I don't believe that I got the same post card that others are getting unless I'm just not understanding the others. Am I missing something here or did I get a different card from others. Also, this has been going back and forth for several weeks+ now with people getting cards and e-mail only when they call in to be told it was a computer glitch. Shouldn't the glitch be fixed by now and the cards stop coming?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-06-25_12-56-12_600.jpg
  • 2012-06-25_12-56-22_123.jpg

#2187 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

I signed up for the Free 24 Months HD promo as soon as it was offered so my anniversary must be on this billing cycle. I get billed on the 26th so I thought I'd check my account today. It shows the normal credit for $10.69, which is for the HD Access fee plus tax. I never received the proverbial email. I might have received the postcard but I'm pretty ruthless about throwing away junk mail and I didn't see it. At least in my case, DirecTV extended the free HD promo with no muss or fuss, just like it should happen.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2188 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 805 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

Not one for dead horse beating but I wanted to jump in again with something else regarding this issue/non issue.

I posted on the 15th that I had gotten the e-mail stating as long as I kept ABP that I would get the $10/month credit, as most others have gotten.

I have not added, changed, removed anything to/from my account for the system to generate any messages, e-mail or postcards so I assumed, as have most others, this meant I was getting another 2 year credit.

I can see people speaking of a post card they are getting telling them shortly after the e-mail that they are no longer on ABP and that upon calling in they are told this was sent out in error and that they have to haggle to get the $10/month credit. Some are successful, some are not.

FFWD to today, 6/25 and I too, get a postcard in the mail, however mine says nothing to the effect of me NOT having ABP. My postcard on the front has my name, address, etc and says in bold letters YOU NOW HAVE FREE HAD ACCESS FOR TWO YEARS. Flip it over and it details the qualifications to keep the credit.

I don't believe that I got the same post card that others are getting unless I'm just not understanding the others. Am I missing something here or did I get a different card from others. Also, this has been going back and forth for several weeks+ now with people getting cards and e-mail only when they call in to be told it was a computer glitch. Shouldn't the glitch be fixed by now and the cards stop coming?

That's the same card I got in the mail.

#2189 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

I signed up for the Free 24 Months HD promo as soon as it was offered so my anniversary must be on this billing cycle. I get billed on the 26th so I thought I'd check my account today. It shows the normal credit for $10.69, which is for the HD Access fee plus tax. I never received the proverbial email. I might have received the postcard but I'm pretty ruthless about throwing away junk mail and I didn't see it. At least in my case, DirecTV extended the free HD promo with no muss or fuss, just like it should happen.

I'm not so sure that you can be confident that your free HD has, in fact, been extended. When there was a screw-up about a year ago and when the $10 credit disappeared from bills, DIRECTV said that they were extending the 24 month free HD credit by one month. I know that, in my case, to make up for the missing credit, they gave me some sort of $10 good will credit, and they also did the 1 month extension of the 24 months of credits. Thus, I won't know for sure until I get my next statement whether my credit has been renewed or whether it has expired.

Also, the emails and post cards started being sent several weeks ago. Even though DIRECTV is telling people that they were sent out by mistake, they are still sending them out. I, for example, got my post card just today. If they were sent out in error, you would think that, after several weeks, they would have stopped sending them out. But this is just one more thing that makes me shake my head and wonder how a situation could be handled any worse than DIRECTV has handled this one (and others).

#2190 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

I got the post card that says "DON'T RISK LOSING YOUR FREE HD ACCESS" on the front, and on the back "to call within seven days of receiving this notice". I just called and the lady told me I have one more month of free HD, and to call back on the July 29th to see "what HD promotions are available". I guess I'll see what happens in a month.

#2191 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:32 AM

I believe that there are two different post cards that have been sent out. Some have gotten the card saying that they do not have auto bill pay. Others have gotten the card that says that they now have 2 years of free HD and detailing what they need to do to continue getting the credit. In my case, the card that I got today was the one telling what I needed to do to maintain the credit.

#2192 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

I received the same card today.

#2193 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

I'm not so sure that you can be confident that your free HD has, in fact, been extended. When there was a screw-up about a year ago and when the $10 credit disappeared from bills, DIRECTV said that they were extending the 24 month free HD credit by one month. I know that, in my case, to make up for the missing credit, they gave me some sort of $10 good will credit, and they also did the 1 month extension of the 24 months of credits. Thus, I won't know for sure until I get my next statement whether my credit has been renewed or whether it has expired.

Also, the emails and post cards started being sent several weeks ago. Even though DIRECTV is telling people that they were sent out by mistake, they are still sending them out. I, for example, got my post card just today. If they were sent out in error, you would think that, after several weeks, they would have stopped sending them out. But this is just one more thing that makes me shake my head and wonder how a situation could be handled any worse than DIRECTV has handled this one (and others).

Glass half full meet glass half empty.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#2194 OFFLINE   danpeters

danpeters

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

I received the post card today that says "You now have free HD Access for two years." I also received the email about a week and a half ago. I had to call DirecTV this past Saturday for an HD receiver that's giving a diagnostic code when it boots and for some reason the CSR sent me over to retention because I simply asked if I could just upgrade it to a DVR but anyway, I asked about the HD Access and explained the email and retention seemed to know nothing about it told me that the credit has already been removed from my account and there was nothing they could do (customer since 1999.. 2003 according to their systems).

So, this post card means absolutely nothing to me.

Dan

#2195 OFFLINE   skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

My two year contract should be up now. I guess I'll see if they charge me for HD on next months statement, if they do I'm going to call and try to get it for "free", even though it should be regardless..... If they won't give it to me I'll just switch carriers, there's no way I'm paying $10 more a less when both TWC and Dish offer more HD channels.

#2196 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

"GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!"

According to a postcard I received in the mail today, I "NOW HAVE FREE HD ACCESS FOR TWO YEARS."

:lol:

I was wondering when it was my turn... :D

~Alan

#2197 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:36 PM

"GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!"

According to a postcard I received in the mail today, I "NOW HAVE FREE HD ACCESS FOR TWO YEARS."

:lol:

I was wondering when it was my turn... :D

~Alan

Yep. I got mine today too! :D

#2198 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Got the postcard yesterday telling me I have free HD for 24 months, so much for that promotion no longer existing... lol

#2199 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,419 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I got "the postcard" yesterday, too (third time I've gotten that postcard since December), and my June 22 statement still had the HD credit on it....I guess we'll see what happens on the July statement.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#2200 OFFLINE   weaver6

weaver6

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

I also got the "you now have free HD access for two years" postcard yesterday. My June 23 bill had the discount, but I did not sign up right away, and there is a month owed for having to call after the end of the first year (when it went away prematurely), so it could still disappear.
AU9 5 LNB Dish
HR21-100 with AM-21 to Sharp LC-60E79U using HDMI, optical to Harmon/Kardon AVR-247, 2 TB external hard drive
HR21-700 to 31" Mitsubishi CRT, 2 TB external hard drive
Westell 7500 Router, Hardwired to HR21-100, 7500 hardwired to Netgear switch to HR20-100

spam firewall