Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2281 OFFLINE   miesque1127

miesque1127

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

Actually, they skipped a month so it works out to 25 months.

I had to call and they would not extend it. They did give me a $10/mo credit for 12-mos, which is the same thing but not the same.

This is not as good as some of the deals people have mentioned here but it was all I could get at the time.

Im not sure, but I think the amount of discounts MAY be dependent on what you have already received in the way of discounts.

For ex, if I've been with Dtv for 8 years but just now learned about credits and such, they will do a lot more for me because I haven't received anything yet.

I have had Dtv for over 10 years. I always get a ST discount but few other credits. This year when I called, they gave me a lot more. Credits totaling $450, and free installation and parts for While Home Service which regularly costs a few hundred.

Others have paid for WHS install and parts. I'm very happy with what I received, and didn't have to ask for most of it. They saw my history and hooked me up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2282 OFFLINE   Ohara

Ohara

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Im not sure, but I think the amount of discounts MAY be dependent on what you have already received in the way of discounts.

For ex, if I've been with Dtv for 8 years but just now learned about credits and such, they will do a lot more for me because I haven't received anything yet.

I have had Dtv for over 10 years. I always get a ST discount but few other credits. This year when I called, they gave me a lot more. Credits totaling $450, and free installation and parts for While Home Service which regularly costs a few hundred.

Others have paid for WHS install and parts. I'm very happy with what I received, and didn't have to ask for most of it. They saw my history and hooked me up.

I'm inclined to agree with this. Been a customer for 8+ years and never really asked for anything. Was thinking of switching to Dish because of costs. Since my contract ended last week(got new receivers 2yrs ago)I decided to call. After speaking to a very nice lady I got $10 off for 3 months(Viacom credit), $10 off base pkg. for 2 yrs, $10 HD credit for 2 yrs, free Showtime for 6 months, and free ST. Was also offered a free DVR upgrade, but didn't want a new 2 yr commitment so declined that. I'm pretty happy with that. :)

#2283 OFFLINE   miesque1127

miesque1127

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:06 PM

Good for you, that's a nice deal.

I know people complain that they hook new customers up, and forget the long timers. They offer incentives to get people to join the service, and from my experience do what they can for existing.

I received credits and other things that totals around $700+ when you consider cost of install for WHS and parts. I know others that have had to pay for it.

#2284 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

I've been with DirecTV since 2000. The only credits I've received until the 2 year free HD thing were credits I've received from having someone sign up with DirecTV. I've never received any decent deals on hardware. I'm currently under contract because I added a DVR and Whole Home. When I called about getting the 2 year free HD extended and explained that I'd received email and a postcard, I was offered $5 a month for 3 months. She said she would ask someone else if she could do better than that and came back and said no, that was the best they could do. I stupidly told them no thanks and said that I can get more by dropping down my package and it would be permanent. After I hung up, I did just that, and dropped auto pay too. I hated that anyway. <g> I probably should have fought harder...

#2285 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

I wonder what determined who got these cards? I didn't. I have had the two year credit and I've been a subscriber longer than I can remember, but the best I could do is $10 for twelve months.

This was all the luck I had. I was contacted by the Customer Advocate team, who first offered 6 months of Free HD. After some time, they gave me 12 months. Almost like getting teeth pulled! :mad:

Just DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO DO, D*!!!!
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#2286 OFFLINE   njfoses

njfoses

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

The "best" the retention rep could do was 6 months free hd and 6 months of starz for free. I took it for now and will plead my case again 6 months from now. Directv needs to honor their mistake of sending me an email and postcard.
Joined The Directv Family 9-11-07

au9 Dish
Mrv via deca
HR20
HR24
H24

E-A-G-L-E-S!!

#2287 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

So, if you're doing auto pay they give you free hd? Am I reading that correctly?

#2288 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

I compare this to a store that has the wrong price marked on the shelf, they have to honor that, same here if they send those offers to you they should have to honor the offer, it's Directv's mistake. I bet if these mail offerings that they declined to give you were legally challenged they would have to give them to you.
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#2289 OFFLINE   Podkayne

Podkayne

Legend

• Registered
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:52 AM

I've been with DirecTV since 1994. I got the email, then the postcard promising $10/mo. credit extended for 2 more years. Then on the July bill the credit was gone. I called, and they said "the best I can do here is add it for 6 more months". I said fine, and we hung up. I suppose I'll have to call again in six months and beg for it again. I have NEVER asked for freebies, premium channels, all the other free stuff you guys ask for and seem to always get. In fact, I think I've called them exactly four times in the last 17 years. I suppose I should try calling them again on this one....

#2290 OFFLINE   wegotdatwood

wegotdatwood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:27 PM

I've been with DirecTV since 1994. I got the email, then the postcard promising $10/mo. credit extended for 2 more years. Then on the July bill the credit was gone. I called, and they said "the best I can do here is add it for 6 more months". I said fine, and we hung up. I suppose I'll have to call again in six months and beg for it again. I have NEVER asked for freebies, premium channels, all the other free stuff you guys ask for and seem to always get. In fact, I think I've called them exactly four times in the last 17 years. I suppose I should try calling them again on this one....

You're not trying hard enough. It's easy to get discounts.

#2291 OFFLINE   miesque1127

miesque1127

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

You're not trying hard enough. It's easy to get discounts.

This.

If you've been a customer for 17 years, and haven't received many credits, you should be getting a minimum of 12 months of at least $15 or$20/ mo.

Callback try again. Refer to my previous posts on how to go about it.

#2292 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

This.

If you've been a customer for 17 years, and haven't received many credits, you should be getting a minimum of 12 months of at least $15 or$20/ mo.

Callback try again. Refer to my previous posts on how to go about it.

Fascinating how many people know everything about the accounts and policies enough to guarantee what people should be getting. If they don't get that are you going to pay it out of your pocket?
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2293 OFFLINE   miesque1127

miesque1127

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

Fascinating that you want act like an a-hole when people are trying to help people save money.

You think we're making this stuff up?? Yeah, I spend my time on forums thinking up of this BS because I haven't anything better to do.

If you can't offer anything more constructive than being a smartass, you're not much help.

#2294 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 8,879 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Please discuss the topic and not each other. Any more off topic or rude comments may be deleted.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#2295 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Fascinating that you want act like an a-hole when people are trying to help people save money.

You think we're making this stuff up?? Yeah, I spend my time on forums thinking up of this BS because I haven't anything better to do.

If you can't offer anything more constructive than being a smartass, you're not much help.

You're setting expectations with almost no information how is that helpful? You could have said something such as "Some people have gotten discounts of X you might want to see what you can get". There's a difference.

So unless you know everything that goes into the algorythm that DIRECTV uses to place values on accounts and open up discounts, then know what offers are available, and what can be done specifically on his account then you are in fact just making things up. You could state that you're making an educated guess or however it is but when you post a statement of what they should get and it's not true then you tell me what it is.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2296 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

:lol:

You're setting expectations with almost no information how is that helpful? You could have said something such as "Some people have gotten discounts of X you might want to see what you can get". There's a difference.

So unless you know everything that goes into the algorythm that DIRECTV uses to place values on accounts and open up discounts, then know what offers are available, and what can be done specifically on his account then you are in fact just making things up. You could state that you're making an educated guess or however it is but when you post a statement of what they should get and it's not true then you tell me what it is.

Eenie-Meenie-Minie-Mo--> Directv's "algorythm".:lol:

#2297 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

We shouldn't forget that this all got started because of post cards and emails sent out by D* that clearly stated "will" (future tense) receive 2 years of free HD Access.

All the tit for tat stuff is way off point.

An offer was made, then withdrawn. Inaccurate account details were then presented to the customer (you are not on autopay), with the threat to lose free HD Access.

I have both the email and the postcard in my permanent file. They are crystal clear in their offers and their erroneous statements.

Let's stop trying to defend the indefensible. D* messed up, plain and simple.

They should (if they had any sense at all), honor the offer made, without asking people to call and complain. (surely they know who they sent the offers and false information to?) It was their error. Even companies like Wally World will not put customers through this kind of run around. If they post a wrong price, they honor it, period. I watched a $300 TV get sold for $129 bucks, because someone stuck a price tag on it...even though there were 3 other tags with the correct price on it.

D*'s situation is far more egregious than that. They initiated the conversation. They provided the offers in writing. They misinformed customers about their account status (not on autopay). They consistently provided inaccurate and misleading information to me at every level (3 of them) short of Retention They messed up royally.

No amount of excuse making changes these facts.

Retention fixed my situation, and was most reasonable in the discussion.

....and no, I did not threaten to leave. I told them I asked to speak to them, because every other person and level I spoke with was beyond incompetent and contradictory (to each other, of course).

Except for Retention, D*'s customer service in this case was disgraceful.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#2298 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

We shouldn't forget that this all got started because of post cards and emails sent out by D* that clearly stated "will" (future tense) receive 2 years of free HD Access.

All the tit for tat stuff is way off point.

An offer was made, then withdrawn. Inaccurate account details were then presented to the customer (you are not on autopay), with the threat to lose free HD Access.

I have both the email and the postcard in my permanent file. They are crystal clear in their offers and their erroneous statements.

Let's stop trying to defend the indefensible. D* messed up, plain and simple.

They should (if they had any sense at all), honor the offer made, without asking people to call and complain. (surely they know who they sent the offers and false information to?) It was their error. Even companies like Wally World will not put customers through this kind of run around. If they post a wrong price, they honor it, period. I watched a $300 TV get sold for $129 bucks, because someone stuck a price tag on it...even though there were 3 other tags with the correct price on it.

D*'s situation is far more egregious than that. They initiated the conversation. They provided the offers in writing. They misinformed customers about their account status (not on autopay). They consistently provided inaccurate and misleading information to me at every level (3 of them) short of Retention They messed up royally.

No amount of excuse making changes these facts.

Retention fixed my situation, and was most reasonable in the discussion.

....and no, I did not threaten to leave. I told them I asked to speak to them, because every other person and level I spoke with was beyond incompetent and contradictory (to each other, of course).

Except for Retention, D*'s customer service in this case was disgraceful.

As has been pointed out repeatedly the words extended, in addition to, or any other verbiage is not on any of the information sent out. It was nothing more than the original information on the qualifications.

Should they ahve been sent out? No but they also in no way state that the offer was additional or on top of a prior offer. However this has been rehashed so many times it's not going to change anyone's mind on what they want to believe.

#2299 OFFLINE   miesque1127

miesque1127

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Wow, so I'm making it up.

I've posted what I've received, as well as stated how long I've been a customer, and what I've received previously. So it should be pretty clear to you or anyone else what the parameters are for getting discounts.

If someone has been a 17 yr subscriber, it's pretty safe to assume they should be receiving better offers than what has been done. Others with less tenure have. Also, many have stated that they have had to call more than once to get better offers.

So, and this shouldn't be difficult to understand, it's been recommended that this person try again to get a better deal.

Expectations with no information? Really? They've stated how long they've been a customer, as well as stating they haven't received much ever. I've stated how long I've been a customer, and what I've received.

Seems like that information is relevant here, no??

#2300 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

As has been pointed out repeatedly the words extended, in addition to, or any other verbiage is not on any of the information sent out. It was nothing more than the original information on the qualifications.

Should they ahve been sent out? No but they also in no way state that the offer was additional or on top of a prior offer. However this has been rehashed so many times it's not going to change anyone's mind on what they want to believe.

I wanted to believe what was being told to me on the phone, forget the "disputed" email and card. D* unequivocally misinformed me at 3 levels. Only Retention got the story straight, and realized how incompetent the CSRs and Supervisors had been. They admitted as much. They (CSR and Superviso) even attempted to extort a one or two year commitment in order to honor what was (clear to me) the offer. That was the point where I called retention.

When hundreds of people read an offer one way, (and there was no purpose in sending out the email and card, if it was a two year old offer), then something was very, very wrong in the communication. Let's not forget that the post card I got said I wasn't on autopay as well...when I've been on autopay without interruption since 1995.

People can deflect by disputing wording all they want. This is D*'s screwup from the word go, even if one completely ignores the email. The phone misinformation and erroneous post card saying I wasn't on autopay, saying I would lose free HD Access, are indisputable.

It is beyond me why anyone would even be inclined to defend such sloppy performance both in writing (you aren't on autopay) and in my phone call, the legion of errors, misinformation and general incompetence of which was detailed in one of my earlier posts.

The only reason I posted yet another comment on this topic is the main subject seemed to have gotten lost in personality disputes. I'll say it one more time:

D* handling of my particular situation was disgraceful, and it doesn't appear that I was alone. Only Retention straightened it out.

Reminds me of the old Simon and Garfunkel lyric:

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...":)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

spam firewall