Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2341 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

It should be pretty clear to those who make decisions at DIRECTV that the way that they have handled the free HD issue and the renewal of the free HD credit has been a true blunder, and this thread alone should provide evidence to that effect. This thread has now been going on for 3 months, and it has 2340 posts. It is quite clear that the way that DIRCTV has handled this issue has hit a raw nerve with many of its customers.

Even though I know that only a small fraction of DIRECTV customers visit internet forums, threads like this are still customer relations nightmares for DIRECTV. Regardless of whether there might be good reasons why DIRECTV feels it needs to do things the way it does, customers are never going to be happy when something that was given to them is taken away. Nor are they going to be happy when they see that others are getting different/better "deals" than they are getting, and the three month long life of this thread just shines a light on those things that leave a bad taste in the mouths of DIRECTV customers.

Long before now, it would have been smart for DIRECTV to have regrouped on this issue because they are never going to come out ahead with regard to customer relations by continuing in the direction that they have gone so far. My guess is that DIRECTV's interests would be best served by announcing free HD for all, even if that means quietly rolling charges into increased programming package charges.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2342 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

It should be pretty clear to those who make decisions at DIRECTV that the way that they have handled the free HD issue and the renewal of the free HD credit has been a true blunder, and this thread alone should provide evidence to that effect. This thread has now been going on for 3 months, and it has 2340 posts. It is quite clear that the way that DIRCTV has handled this issue has hit a raw nerve with many of its customers.

Even though I know that only a small fraction of DIRECTV customers visit internet forums, threads like this are still customer relations nightmares for DIRECTV. Regardless of whether there might be good reasons why DIRECTV feels it needs to do things the way it does, customers are never going to be happy when something that was given to them is taken away. Nor are they going to be happy when they see that others are getting different/better "deals" than they are getting, and the three month long life of this thread just shines a light on those things that leave a bad taste in the mouths of DIRECTV customers.

Long before now, it would have been smart for DIRECTV to have regrouped on this issue because they are never going to come out ahead with regard to customer relations by continuing in the direction that they have gone so far. My guess is that DIRECTV's interests would be best served by announcing free HD for all, even if that means quietly rolling charges into increased programming package charges.

Let's say that all 2340 posts were posts stating that this sucks. Let's say that those 2340 people left. That would mean that this "issue" cost them a churn of .01%. Given that this site is a small sample size let's multiply this by 10 and say that they lost .1% due to this "issue". How many people did they make happy? I bet more than the 23,400 that could be upset.

Was it handled perfectly? No but it always wasn't some huge calamity that people make it out to be and in the large picture wasn't even something that stirred up much issue. The people who keep posting about it are the ones who keep wanting more and so again the vocal minority are the ones who keep this thread going.

Edited by Shades228, 04 August 2012 - 03:41 PM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2343 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Wonder what sort of money D saves when a person goes paperless?
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#2344 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:02 PM

Well, they wouldnt renew my HD, so I canceled auto bill pay, and paperless billing. At least I will know what the bill is now before its taken out of my account. Maybe they will offer me HD later to renew billpay. If not, at least I am doing my part to support the USPS.

+1

I see no benefit in autopsy and the USPS needs our support.

#2345 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Let's say that all 2340 posts were posts stating that this sucks. Let's say that those 2340 people left. That would mean that this "issue" cost them a churn of .01%. Given that this site is a small sample size let's multiply this by 10 and say that they lost .1% due to this "issue". How many people did they make happy? I bet more than the 23,400 that could be upset.

Was it handled perfectly? No but it always wasn't some huge calamity that people make it out to be and in the large picture wasn't even something that stirred up much issue. The people who keep posting about it are the ones who keep wanting more and so again the vocal minority are the ones who keep this thread going.

Consistently spoken by someone who has consistently spoken the company line. That consistent repetition of the company line really does bring your credibility in question. Whether you want to admit it or not, an issue like this is a black eye for DIRECTV with regard to PR and customer relations. If the concerns of those who are complaining were not a concern to DIRECTV, I couldn't imagine why retention and Ellen Filipiak's office are granting some sort of credit to virtually everyone who has called in to complain about the loss of the HD credit.

Edited by lesz, 04 August 2012 - 04:16 PM.

#2346 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

My guess is that DIRECTV's interests would be best served by announcing free HD for all, even if that means quietly rolling charges into increased programming package charges.

Yeah and that wouldn't cause a firestorm...some people feel entitled to having all they want for as little as possible...thats never going to change.
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#2347 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

Yeah and that wouldn't cause a firestorm...some people feel entitled to having all they want for as little as possible...thats never going to change.

Only from companies that make me pay for stuff I dont want, to get the stuff I do.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2348 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:39 PM

Shame on us for expecting D* to honor their offer of an additional 24 months.

#2349 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,410 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

Consistently spoken by someone who has consistently spoken the company line. That consistent repetition of the company line really does bring your credibility in question. Whether you want to admit it or not, an issue like this is a black eye for DIRECTV with regard to PR and customer relations. If the concerns of those who are complaining were not a concern to DIRECTV, I couldn't imagine why retention and Ellen Filipiak's office are granting some sort of credit to virtually everyone who has called in to complain about the loss of the HD credit.

Do you really expect otherwise? Employees of DirecTV are generally going to stick to the company line, though Shades228 did say it could have been handled better, which I agree with. I have the free HD, and if I lose it, I lose it. I'll be a bit bummed out about it as I also no longer qualify for a $6 discount through my phone company but it is what it is.

I also want Mark Zuckerberg's .5% mortgage interest rate, but know I'm pretty much stuck with one closer to mine.

#2350 OFFLINE   narrod

narrod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Do you really expect otherwise? Employees of DirecTV are generally going to stick to the company line, though Shades228 did say it could have been handled better, which I agree with. I have the free HD, and if I lose it, I lose it. I'll be a bit bummed out about it as I also no longer qualify for a $6 discount through my phone company but it is what it is.

I also want Mark Zuckerberg's .5% mortgage interest rate, but know I'm pretty much stuck with one closer to mine.

Mine came off the latest bill. I called and told them I wanted it back. They did it immediately and started a new 24 month clock. I just asked and did nothing else. I don't know how they make their decisions. I've been with them for almost 13 years.

#2351 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

I dont know to me I guess it's like this...through Verizon in order to have internet access I pay extra for it as I'm sure most of you do as well...if you dont want HD then dont pay for it. If I didnt want internet access through Verizon then I wouldnt pay for it, I certainly dont expect them to give it to me for free
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#2352 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

If by credibility you mean likability then I don't care. If you mean creditbility as in what I post is accurate then I'll let my track record speak for itself. I post here because I like the community and the people here. I don't post here to make people happy with everything that I post. I'll post the truth and with that comes the fact that some people won't agree, appreciate, or even care. Not everyone has gotten a discount as people have stated. People who have gotten discounts have done so because they qualified for it.

To be more realistic do you think the agents really care that this happened? No they care about what they can do to help out regardless of the reason. Does it matter why? No because it's based on what they can do. Do you think DIRECTV wanted this to happen? Obviously the answer is no because it was a customer unfriendly situation which doesn't help them.

Shame on us for expecting D* to honor their offer of an additional 24 months.

Just because you want something to be true doesn't make it true.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2353 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

.if you dont want HD then dont pay for it.

I tried that, they told me it was required to use my owned boxes, as well as the HR34 which incurred the 24 month contract. Returning the HR34 would not negate the contract, and they could not turn off HD access as long as I have any of my receivers or DVRs on the account.

So, if you have some magical way of getting HD access turned off, I am all ears. Sounds to me like the only way to have HD access turned off is to not have any receivers hooked up, or incur another contract extension by leasing an SD box from them.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#2354 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:58 PM

I tried that, they told me it was required to use my owned boxes, as well as the HR34 which incurred the 24 month contract. Returning the HR34 would not negate the contract, and they could not turn off HD access as long as I have any of my receivers or DVRs on the account.

So, if you have some magical way of getting HD access turned off, I am all ears. Sounds to me like the only way to have HD access turned off is to not have any receivers hooked up, or incur another contract extension by leasing an SD box from them.

You could remove it if you only had SD equipment active.

#2355 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

What would happen if I went to the DirecTV/MY Account, on the DirecTV web site and selected "Remove HD" from my account? Is it locked out, if you have the free HD? I don't have free HD, but have the option to remove it from my account.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#2356 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

You could remove it if you only had SD equipment active.

Will they still activate my Hughes E86 receiver?

#2357 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

Will they still activate my Hughes E86 receiver?

Yes as long as it was active on the account before and the access card is still a current card.

#2358 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

What would happen if I went to the DirecTV/MY Account, on the DirecTV web site and selected "Remove HD" from my account? Is it locked out, if you have the free HD? I don't have free HD, but have the option to remove it from my account.

Unless you're in an MPEG 4 market it would error out.

#2359 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,410 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

But say you have an HD DVR and one HD receiver and no longer want to pay the $10. Can you get an R16 and D12 without paying anything for them and not get a contract? I'd think you'd have to wait quite a while before you start to save money as you have to apply those $10 savings to the receiver costs.

#2360 OFFLINE   SParker

SParker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

Unless you still have a standard def TV I'd find another $10 I could cut from my budget. Yuck!

spam firewall