Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

I guess I am not eligible as I am in the first year of subbing which ends Aug1. He told me to call back. I guess I am already getting $10 credit for the first year or service. And he said its ongoing for existing customers.

Correct or ?

If you are under contract, you have less leverage I guess, which is why some of us are hesitant about being "under contract," I don't even like the sound of it:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

They didn't seem to care at all that I was still under contract.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#223 OFFLINE   Maleman

Maleman

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:42 PM

If you are under contract, you have less leverage I guess, which is why some of us are hesitant about being "under contract," I don't even like the sound of it:)

I hate contracts! :) I think Direct has been pretty good to me....so far. Even though I find their billing very confusing. It's itemized but they use different codes which I have no idea what each code refers to.

Thanks

#224 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:46 PM

I guess I am not eligible as I am in the first year of subbing which ends Aug1. He told me to call back. I guess I am already getting $10 credit for the first year or service. And he said its ongoing for existing customers.

Correct or ?

I got it and only been a sub for 3 months. I called around 7:30 AM pacific time
My CSR was a very nice, and sweet sounding lady :angel: that went out of her way to get me all kinds of deals.

#225 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

I just called in and got the 24 months off as well. I'm already on paperless billing and auto-pay, so that part wasn't a big deal for me. She also gave me 2 months of Showtime for free along with the HD pack. I was going to call in anyway to upgrade my R15 to an HR, so this seemed like a good time to take care of all of it. Ended up getting the HR for 107 shipped. So all in all, I'm happy. Now I just have to hope my luck extends a few more days and the UPS guys delivers an HR24.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#226 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 605 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:05 PM

Are people going through regular CSR's or retention CSR's?
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#227 OFFLINE   briansfsd

briansfsd

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

I just called in and got the 24 month discount as well. Thanks to this forum for helping to save some $$. :D

#228 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:11 PM

I didn't play the retention game. The first rep transferred me, second rep (HD department or something) set it all up. Third rep took off cinemax I decided to cancel at the same time.

#229 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

My CSR was located in Utah. Nicest lady ever. I called early 7:30 AM so not sure if she was a regular or retention. Utahans are generally very nice and polite.

#230 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:21 PM

No, it has to be through D* directly. Either at directv.com or through an agent to sign up is fine

I'm about to pull the trigger on autopay. 1st CSR I spoke to confirmed the $10/month credit for 24 months is how they enter it - given all conditions being in place.

She did mention that - if you prefer a specific date for the autopay, you should do it online. An agent doesn't have that particular item to change.

Edit:

I may have gotten things back-asswards. I just signed up for autopay online and there never was anyplace to set payment date. Confirmation rec'd and I'm about to call and ask for the free HD.

Edit:

Bingo. Though, no one [now] thinks I could specify the recurring date for withdrawal. Online or with a CSR.

But, the 24 months free HD was a piece of cake.

Edited by Ed Campbell, 05 June 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#231 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:27 PM

Is the only way to get this is by talking with at CSR or can you also do this online?

#232 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

Funny, the stupidest thing I've ever seen is DirecTV's short-sighted marketing and ever-more extravagant new customer-only deals that absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, incentivize customer turn over. The reason that's stupid is because getting a new customers cost DirecTV infinitely more than retaining an existing one and, therefore, people who bounce back and forth every year or two cost the company a lot of money. Living where I do, where sat is the only option, the vast majority of my neighbors have had both DirecTV and Dish, and go back and forth when one makes them an "offer they can't refuse." (Of the 40 or so homes in our loosely-defined neighborhood, I'd say 2/3 have more than one dish on their roof.)

I also think it's hysterical that my complaints about DirecTV's policies are labeled as "entitlement" by the very people who say they're going to call in, and keep calling, until they get this offer applied to their account. Call me disgruntled, call me a whiner, but Mr. I'm-not-concerned-about-everyone-else-because-I'm-gonna-keep-pressing-until-I-get-this-for-myself is the very definition of entitled.

I absolutely loathe DirecTV's legendary and completely random treatment of their customers, even if I have at times (by reading here and then calling in to request what others have received) benefited from it. Either make an offer available to everybody, or nobody, that fall within a definitive set of guidelines. What one CSR can offer, should be the same as the next. You shouldn't be able to call four times and get four completely different answers/offers. It shouldn't be a process of call center roulette. That complete and absolute unfairness is infuriating. Those who complain the most are not owed the best service. Again, from a business perspective, that not only creates exactly the kind of burned feeling I have, but it also costs you money, paying for the time it takes to answer multiple calls from the same person.

By the way, just for fun, I emailed DirecTV, noting I was a 12-year customer, always on the premier package who used autopay and asking if I was eligible for this current free HD deal and received the following cut-and-paste response ...

"The free HD for Life offer is only available to new customers.

"In order to find out what HD offers are available to you, please call 800-824-9081 between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM daily. When the system asks for a Personal ID Number (PIN), enter XXX (this PIN is good for five days). We're looking forward to talking to you!

"Once again I would like to thank you for writing."

Oh and, we all already pay DirecTV HD for, with or without the $10/month fee. HD existed on DirecTV before the fee, and will continue to exist after it is, eventually, discontinued. If they raise the package rates by $10 to cover it--which I'm sure will be billed a customer-benefitial "restructuring of their programming tiers" and not a price increase--they do so only to increase their profits, not because they need that $10/customer to provide the service. Don't get me wrong, that is good business, from their side. I note it only because of the people on this forum who are always jumping in to insist that poor DirecTV HAS to charge this fee or that one in order to cover their costs and survive, as if otherwise they would be taking a loss on the services they offer us. ("They have to charge an extra fee because it costs more to provide HD." "The fee is a favor to the customers that are SD only." "They have to charge big up front receiver fees to recoup the cost of development." "Without the DVR fee they couldn't develop the software." B.S. all.) This is not a business that is living close to the margin. While there are, obviously, substantial costs involved in acquiring and distributing DirecTV's programming they'd have to cut their prices just about in half in order to be even close to barely scraping by.

Despite other comments to the contrary, you are completely correct in everything that you've said, IMO. :)
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

#233 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 980 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

What is the big deal about autopay? I have had autopay for the entire 10 years I have been with them. They have always charged it directly to my credit card. I have never had an issue.

There is no big deal. I just like to pay when I want to pay. Might be the day the bill cuts or as late as on the actual due date. I just like to control it is all.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#234 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:35 PM

ControlFreak
2 - HR20-100s
1 - HR21-100
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR34 Genie
1 - H24-100
1 - H24-200
SWM16/DECA

#235 OFFLINE   gbubar

gbubar

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

I called and was directed to the "Promotional Dept." I spoke with "Beth" and was offered 24 months free HD. Like everyone else I hope this fee goes away within the 24 months I get the 10 rebate on my bill.
HR22-100
HR20-700
HR20-100
H21-100
HR24-500
Whole House DVR

5LNB Slimline Dish and International Dish

#236 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:55 PM

Well, on the advice of people on this forum, I just called, spoke with a very nice man named Charles, and he applied my $10 credit for 24 months! :)

I have to believe that this HD fee will be gone by then anyway.

I love this forum :D

#237 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:59 PM

There is no big deal. I just like to pay when I want to pay. Might be the day the bill cuts or as late as on the actual due date. I just like to control it is all.

I understand those not wanting to use Autopay. I personally haven't had a problem, my parents had a Nightmare with both AOL and Pegasus(when they had Direct) Parents, even closed a card once and AOL still billed it and they were billed on a closed credit card, while fighting tooth and nail to close out thier account.

I only use Autopay for, Mortgage and Car payment, and I recieved discounts on both for using Autopay, both have ending dates, only exception is Vonage, and Vonage emails me the day they process my payment. I don't like autopay on a revolving service items, that get paid one month on this date, and a different date the next month. Or if I close that account, I don't have to worry about them, missing the flag that my account is CLOSED. A problem I have had with companies like Earthlink and local Newspaper companies.

I pay every bill I have online, I still have .34 stamps, use paperless billing on all accounts, as its easier to save away, and I always get emailed the bill weeks before the due date, and plenty of time to fix a problem before it needs to be paid. I prefer to have control over when my bills get paid, prefer to keep my checkbook, balanced as I run it, instead of having to wait for somebody to post something.

#238 OFFLINE   bratboy

bratboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:00 PM

For once I can truly say "I Win!"

Just called and got the 24 month deal. In the end this is what I got for my $145 investment in mrv:
2 Hr24's
Kept Hr22
Whole Deca house wiring
$5 off 3 months some of my movie channels
$10 off for 1 year customer loyalty reward of some sort
$10 off for 24 months of HD access

All in all I think I made out like a bandit. Sometimes it pays to fight to keep temper, at least this time it did.
2 x HR24-500's
1 x HR22NC-100 China 1/21/09 via component
Slimline 5 LNB connected via SWM
TV-JVC HD-52Z575 D-ila
Amp-Yamaha HR-5730

#239 OFFLINE   mikeny

mikeny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:02 PM

Well, on the advice of people on this forum, I just called, spoke with a very nice man named Charles, and he applied my $10 credit for 24 months! :)

I have to believe that this HD fee will be gone by then anyway.

I love this forum :D

I agree. I called about another issue earlier and asked if they could change my 6 months offer to 24 months. The rep said this wouldn't be possible but encouraged me to call in when my promo expires and they will put in another 24 months then. He said "this isn't going anywhere" and also reasserted that folks with Verizon Bill Bundling (at least if you're on on autopay with them) are "completely compatible".

You would have to think that the fee will be fazed out soon enough.
SL3 SWM, 3 HR24-500s, H25-500, DECA

#240 OFFLINE   hyde76

hyde76

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

So, now all of you that got the two year deal are now under a new two year contract, right? I like many others, hate contracts and I still have the TC + package from many years ago, with HD and DVR added. I'd rather not go back under contract, given that I've not worked a day in 11 months. If the wife wasn't working we would've cancelled long ago. But, a break in the monthly bill would be nice.

spam firewall