Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2401 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Well when I checked my bill this month, I did not have the $10 credit. This was after we had called last month about this credit and was told it would be reinstated.

So we called DIRECTV again and was immediately told our 24month credit had expired but they could offer us $10 for one year. We read them the email that we had received (it is quoted many times in the above posts) and asked them if they agreed that the offer is for 24 additional months. The nice CSR agreed but said she could not correct it and would get us in touch with Promotions. We went through the same discussion with promotions who had us read them the email word-for-word. After reading the email she reinstated our 24month discount. This is how it reads on our bill online:

08/19/2012 XXXXXXXX____ Advanced Receiver-HD - 24mosFreeHDAcc ($10.00) ($1.32)

Just seems odd that we had to call two separate months to get this credit again. Though I know it is playing CSR roulette, it may help if you quote to them the email/postcard in its entirety and have them interpret it to you. If it is worded in such a way that they agree it implies you should receive 2 more years free HD, then they will probably make it happen like they did for me.

Good luck everyone!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2402 OFFLINE   DennisMileHi

DennisMileHi

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

I hadn't visited this thread for a long time. My HD $10 credit expired in July. So, this morning, I called D* and asked if they could reinstate it. The CSR told me she could not do that but would transfer me to another dept who could.. I think it is promotions.

Well, after checking, they said they did not have the ability to extend the HD credit, BUT they could offer me either a 24 month $10 credit off my base package (CHOICE XTRA) OR a 12 month credit of $20. Go figure! I took the 12 month $20 credit which does include a 12 month commitment. If I cancel, I have to pay $10 for every month of an early cancellation.

So, I plan to call back again in 12 months. After reading the last few posts of this thread, I continue to be amazed how D* has so many different ways of doing things. You would think there would be more consistency. I've been a customer since 2001.

Just checked my account. Here is the entry:

CHOICE XTRA CLASSIC - $20/12mos/Agree ($20.00) $0.00

Edited by DennisMileHi, 20 August 2012 - 10:54 AM.

#2403 OFFLINE   Buckeye3d

Buckeye3d

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts
  • LocationColumbus, OH

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

I just noticed today that my free HD credit expired 2 months ago. I also received the email and postcard so I hadn't been watching my bill very closely. I called up and talked to a nice woman in the retention department. I simply explained the situation politely and she added the 24 month credit back to my account and credited me for the 2 months I didn't get it. I also got 3 free months on Showtime. I wish we didn't have to jump through these hoops but I'm happy with the end result.

#2404 OFFLINE   prospect60

prospect60

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

That was unexpectedly pleasant conversation -- free HD expired August 18. Must have had the same nice lady as Buckeye3D. After a generally rotten day from the time the alarm went off, I just knew this was going to be a root canal experience, but after about 15 minutes on hold and the usually ID confirmation.......

---My Free HD for 2 years expired recently. I'm still on autopay and subscribed to Premier, is there a way to reapply my High Definition discount?

Let me check. I think we can do that, sure let's renew you for Free HD for another 24 months. Wow, it looks like you've been with us for a long time. Anything else I can do for you tonight?

--- Hmmmm. Yep, been with Direct since summer 1994. Are there any other promotions I qualify for?

Well, are you interested in Football?

-- College!

Ohh, I guess you are interested in Sunday Ticket. We do have an HBO promotion $5 off for 6 months?

-- No not interested in the NFL for now, but thank you for the HBO offer.

You're welcome. Have a wonderful evening and let us know if there's anything else we can do.

-- Thanks a lot. Good Night!

------------------
Afterwards I felt all warm, fuzzy, and loved just like being swaddled by a Disney CSR.

#2405 OFFLINE   akw4572

akw4572

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

Mine expired this month, and I just called. Got a $5 credit for six months, and they said to call back on 9/1 to see if I qualified for more. I'm a bit confused, and a bit perturbed to say the least. Still on autopay, and out of contract.
HR 22-100 Vizio 42" 1080P
HR 22-100 Vizio 26" 720P

#2406 OFFLINE   the future is now

the future is now

AllStar

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

i called in to ask for an extension to the HD credit i have been getting these last two years. they told me they can give me $10 off my base package for 1 year but no credit for HD access. the rep told me that she will transfer me to another department to see if they can do it but she could not. meanwhile, she tried to get me to sign up NFL Sunday Ticket. i told her thanks but no thanks, the only sports package i get is MLB Extra Innings. $200 for six to eight Niner games i will miss is not worth it, IMO. if they get far than every game will be on free anyways. next department guy tells me he can't extend the HD credit either and offers me the same $10 off base package for 1 year. catch this time was i had to go paperless. i took the offer and will call in one years time to try and get another extension.

Edited by the future is now, 26 August 2012 - 09:21 PM.
edit

Genie (HR34)
HR24
MLB Extra Innings

2010 and 2012 World Champions San Francisco Giants

#2407 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

Was just offered the same $20 credit for 1 year with a new 1 year commitment like others here. Before calling, I didn't really like that deal but once I had it in front of me, it sounded pretty appealing. Yeah it's for only 1 year but I get the full amount much sooner :) I'm not going anywhere for now, so the additional year is no big deal. I just hope locking in for another year doesn't negatively affect an offer on an HR34 when I look to get that around 6 months down the road.
Patrick

Dish type – SWM3 LNB, 2 HR24-500, H23-600, Whole Home w/ broadband DECA (CCK)

#2408 OFFLINE   satking

satking

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

I just upgraded equipment for parents after using the directv tivo unit for past 5-7 years. I did not request credits but was offered $20 for programming and $8 for dvr fee for 12 months along with sunday ticket. I took it.

I had intended to increase the programming package and request the HD credit for next 24 months if I sign them up for autopay. I was afraid that I would not get the other credits if I asked for HD fee credits.

Do they still offer HD credit with autopay if you didn't have it previously or will the other credits disqualify me now?

#2409 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

I called my electric company and they wouldn't give me a discount either. So I switched to another electric provider.

Did they send you a card in the mail, promising discounts?
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#2410 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Just because you find them confusing does not mean that they will be changed. As with anything a company sends out it will go through the legal teams and make sure that it's legally accurate. As a general rule, for almost every company, all communications that go out are written for a Jr High level education.

They are very clear in what this is if you just read it and not make assumptions on word interpretations. However we read what we want to and hear what we want to. You want this to mean that it's an extension so that's how you choose to interpret it.

Attitudes like this WILL cost D* customers!
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#2411 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,175 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

My 24 months ran out in June. I called about it and was told they could not do it but would transfer me to someone that probably could fix me up. The lady I was transferred to told me she could do it for 12 months and in 12 months I could call back and they would probably do it again.

I am certainly for promotions to get new customers but the "Free for Life" for new customers when this came out was just way out there. Most promotions are short time. If you figure $10 per month for the length of time I have been with them and probably will be in the future it is a HUGE amount and to me it is just not the thing to do.
DTV lost subscribers in the USA in the last quarter for the first time in many years. This promotion upset me more than anything has since I have been with them and I have seen some really nasty posts about this on here and the DTV forum.

On the opposite side of the coin, they do try to work with you with cutting down on your bill if you call them. Quite often they will give you some type of promotion that is going on and I appreciate them doing that.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#2412 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

I just called. No luck with the free HD. Never had it before so figured I would try. Even asked about any offers for the HR-34 receiver. Still $399. I'll try another time.

#2413 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

I just called. No luck with the free HD. Never had it before so figured I would try. Even asked about any offers for the HR-34 receiver. Still $399. I'll try another time.

Did you speak to a regular CSR or a retention CSR? The latter has much more "power."

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#2414 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

when you re-sign up for this does it extend any commitment? I do not want to extend just in case I do need to switch because of the (lack of) the Pac 12 Network.

#2415 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

when you re-sign up for this does it extend any commitment? I do not want to extend just in case I do need to switch because of the (lack of) the Pac 12 Network.

The free HD discount does not have a commitment. Basically, only new hardware gets you a commitment extension

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#2416 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

I said cancel at the main menu. And then was on hold for about 5 minutes before speaking to someone.

Did you speak to a regular CSR or a retention CSR? The latter has much more "power."

Kevin

#2417 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

I have the Premier package but have been seriously thinking about dropping down to Choice Ultimate, keeping HBO and HD Extra pack. I would lose the Sports Pack but don't watch any of them anyway so no big loss to me. There does not seem to be much in the way of promotions for anyone with the Premier package since you have just about all they offer anyway. Anyone have experience with downgrading from Premier? What were you offered?

#2418 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 706 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

My credit had expired in July, so my August statement had the credit missing, and I had to call in due to my Whole Home being removed from my account during my Movers Deal, so I just happend to ask about the credit and the girl did some looking and she gave me another 24 months :) I'm happy!

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#2419 OFFLINE   txfeinbergs

txfeinbergs

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:43 AM

I have the Premier package but have been seriously thinking about dropping down to Choice Ultimate, keeping HBO and HD Extra pack. I would lose the Sports Pack but don't watch any of them anyway so no big loss to me. There does not seem to be much in the way of promotions for anyone with the Premier package since you have just about all they offer anyway. Anyone have experience with downgrading from Premier? What were you offered?

They will offer you all kinds of discounts to keep the Premier package. Usually $5 off X movie channel, $5 off Y movie channel, etc. You can get up to about $30 off for 6 months to stay with premier.

#2420 OFFLINE   etexlady

etexlady

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

They will offer you all kinds of discounts to keep the Premier package. Usually $5 off X movie channel, $5 off Y movie channel, etc. You can get up to about $30 off for 6 months to stay with premier.

Why would they offer to discount one or more of the movie channels when they are already part of the package anyway? It's not an option for me to drop one or the other movie channel with Premier. I wish they would offer to discount one or more of the DVRs or free HD for a year or more, etc. I guess I'll never know until I ask.

spam firewall