Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2421 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:41 PM

My HD Access credit expired last month. My current HBO promotion was expiring today, so I thought I would use that as a reason to call in and see what could possibly be done to reinstate my HD access credit. I went straight to retention and told the CSR that I wanted to cancel HBO. He asked why and I just told him that we normally subscribe to Starz and just couldn't afford to keep HBO now that my promotion was over. He immediately told me that since I am a long time customer with an excellent account, he could offer me $5 off Starz and $5 off HBO for 6 months. He also said that he could give me a $10 credit for HD Access for 1 year. I took it and told him I very much appreciated his help. I was all prepared to ask for the credit, but he offered it on his own unsolicited. So, I'm happy again for now.:D
<p>HR44-700 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | DECA | SWiM | Harmony One | HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880 | HR24-100 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD | DECA | SWiM | Harmony 880

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2422 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Wanting to avoid a phone call and explain the HD access credit extension request to an uninformed CSR I emailed my request. The following is their response:

Mr. XXX, it is customers like you who have supported us from the beginning, which has contributed to our success. With this, through all available ways, we want to extend our appreciation to tenured customers. A tenured DIRECTV customer, such as yourself can easily accumulate more promotional offers throughout the lifetime of their DIRECTV account than a new customer would when they first sign up.

We want to talk to you on these offers we have on the account, specifically on the HD Access credit, since this concern is best addressed over the phone. Please call us at 800-531-5000 between 8:00 AM to 1:00 AM, so that one our highly trained customer service representatives can help you get the programming you are looking for at the best possible price. I assure you that we work with our customers to find a solution that best fits their needs.

I was hoping, after nearly 16 years, it might be a simple request, I suppose I should call in the morning:)
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#2423 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

The free HD discount does not have a commitment. Basically, only new hardware gets you a commitment extension

- Merg

Unless you take the $20 off per month for 12 months... they extend you 1 year for that (or at least that's what I've seen everyone here reporting, as well as what I got).
Have they not usually offered discounts for extending the commitment period in the past?
Patrick

Dish type – SWM3 LNB, 2 HR24-500, H23-600, Whole Home w/ broadband DECA (CCK)

#2424 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

Unless you take the $20 off per month for 12 months... they extend you 1 year for that (or at least that's what I've seen everyone here reporting, as well as what I got).
Have they not usually offered discounts for extending the commitment period in the past?

Agreements have always been tied to equipment, movers program, and coming back offers. This year they have added agreements to certain promotions as well.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2425 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

Agreements have always been tied to equipment, movers program, and coming back offers. This year they have added agreements to certain promotions as well.

I don't expect to get anything with a contract, but are they consecutive or concurrent if someone is already under contract for doing something like getting a DVR?

#2426 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

I don't expect to get anything with a contract, but are they consecutive or concurrent if someone is already under contract for doing something like getting a DVR?

Agreements go the duration of the time frame from the date the get applied. Promotional discounts apply the agreement the date it's accepted, and equipment applies them the date that it's activated. Agreement end dates are based on the date of the last agreement that has applied.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2427 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Why would they offer to discount one or more of the movie channels when they are already part of the package anyway? It's not an option for me to drop one or the other movie channel with Premier. I wish they would offer to discount one or more of the DVRs or free HD for a year or more, etc. I guess I'll never know until I ask.

The why and what of discounts is a real crap shoot. For all the posts talking about the official line, it really isn't that at all. It depends on your account. What level of programming, how long you've been with them, what unpublished promos are available when you call, the mood of the CSR, your approach to them and then there's the magic 8 ball!

I'm still under contract and recently called to drop from Premier to Xtra with no premiums as my bill had gotten a bit out of hand. When the dust settled after the call, the bill went down to about $8 more than Xtra w/no Premiums and I kept Premier. It is a mix of different discounts with varying lengths of time up to 6 months.

There are lots of reports of the same for most that have called to drop from Premier, not at all uncommon.

But as with all discounts, YMMV! :)

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#2428 OFFLINE   JGL

JGL

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

I just got off the phone with a 2nd line CSR, and finally got $10 off for 2 years, but it's no longer an HD Access credit. It's coming off my base package.
I've been a customer since the USSB days, and subscribed to Premier for a majority of those years, and they still made me fight for the credit.
They told me that the email and postcard I received wasn't an offer for an additional 2 years of HD Access credit, just a "reminder" of what I needed to do to keep the credit (which ended for me in June, so why send it out then? They couldn't wrap their heads around that one).
I was offered $10 off for 6 months or $10 off for 24 months with a new 2 year commitment.
Didn't like those options, so ask for someone else that might be able to help. She got her supervisor on the line and after a lot of back and forth on the interpretation of the email and postcard, she agreed to give me $10 off for 2 years with no commitment.
I asked about getting a HR34 and was quoted full price of $399 and $49 install. No love there.
It seems DirectTV has too many departments with their own sets of rules. It depends on who you talk to. It really is a crap shoot as to what offer you may get.

#2429 OFFLINE   MISpat

MISpat

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

They told me the other night that if I had 6 months left on a contract (for example) and I then got equipment which required a 2 year contract, it would be 2 years from that date. In other words, the 2 years would not be tacked onto the remaining 6 months on the previous contract.
Patrick

Dish type – SWM3 LNB, 2 HR24-500, H23-600, Whole Home w/ broadband DECA (CCK)

#2430 OFFLINE   Arative

Arative

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

My credit expired, just called up, got $10 off for 12 months.

#2431 OFFLINE   sooner02

sooner02

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:58 PM

Mine expired. I called and was offered $5 off for 24 months as well as $10 off for 12 months IF I enrolled in paperless billing. I went ahead and did it, but not sure if it was a great deal or not.

#2432 OFFLINE   jappleboy

jappleboy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Free HD well i see i am not the only one taking a hit on my bill. I to called to to see why my bill went up $10, told the guy that i been with you 9 years. So the guy took off $10 for 1 year and $10 more for the package price $20 i can deal with that it will pay for my HBO.

#2433 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:13 PM

I got the two year free hd service when they offered the lifetime free service to new subscribers about two years ago like many others as a long term subscriber. In June this year I received an email indicating I was being automatically extended an additional two years, thanking me for my continued patronage. I was not given the free service after June and was being charged the $10 for July and August. I called and the CSR indicated the "promotion" had expired, but that she would go on and give me the two year credit for hd service. She didn't seem to know anything about the email I received. Apparently the email generator doesn't talk to the billing department about these emailed committments.

Edit...my credit is showing up against the package cost and not the HD service as it did before.
Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#2434 OFFLINE   specialkd24

specialkd24

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

I had called last month and they only offered the $10 credit for 6 months, but told me I could call back after that. I took it.

Bill came yesterday and there was no credit. So I called back and they apoligized and gave me $10 credit for 12 months.

Go figure.

#2435 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

I looked at my September statement and the 24-mo Free HD Acess credit was missing, so I called and "billing" advised me that my 24 months were expired. She offered me a $5/mo discount for 3 months. I told her that I had received the postcard that said I would receive the discount. She couldn't offer any more than the $5, so she transferred me to the "Customer Experience Dept". They gave me $10 off for 12 months, and stressed that it was a temporary offer. We can only hope that the HD fee will be dropped, or that this credit can be extended.

#2436 OFFLINE   ccrowe3

ccrowe3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

I looked at my September statement and the 24-mo Free HD Acess credit was missing, so I called and "billing" advised me that my 24 months were expired. She offered me a $5/mo discount for 3 months. I told her that I had received the postcard that said I would receive the discount. She couldn't offer any more than the $5, so she transferred me to the "Customer Experience Dept". They gave me $10 off for 12 months, and stressed that it was a temporary offer. We can only hope that the HD fee will be dropped, or that this credit can be extended.

Or we can slowly realize that this was just a promotion to compete with Dish, which started free HD for life at about the same time, and hid the HD fee in their inflated receiver fees. On another note, I called up and they gave me free DVR service for a year and $5 off for 6 months. Close enough.

Edited by ccrowe3, 16 September 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#2437 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Last year around the time folks were getting the HD credit for 24 months I called to see if I could join in on the fun. I was told that the $10/month for 24 months was not available but that I could get $20/month for 12 months. Worked for me. So this year I tried again and after a couple of attempts I was able to get the $20 credit extended for another year.

#2438 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

Add one more to the crowd. The $10 credit dropped off my bill this month. I had a real fight with the CSR but the best I could get was $5 off a month for 6 months, plus $5 off HBO for 6 months (I wasn't planning on keeping HBO). Now I'll to fight all over again in 6 months.

Not a happy camper today.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#2439 OFFLINE   satking

satking

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Based on the responses lately, it looks like the Free HD credit is dead. I was going to call and try to get HD credit in exchange for auto-payment from my visa. I normally don't allow a company to deduct from my account for payment without me initiating the payment each month. It would have been worth it for $10 savings.

Has anyone been able to successfully get HD credit lately? I know they are giving credit not designated as HD credit. If credit is an HD credit, I can potentially stack other credits in the future.

#2440 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Based on the responses lately, it looks like the Free HD credit is dead. I was going to call and try to get HD credit in exchange for auto-payment from my visa. I normally don't allow a company to deduct from my account for payment without me initiating the payment each month. It would have been worth it for $10 savings.

Has anyone been able to successfully get HD credit lately? I know they are giving credit not designated as HD credit. If credit is an HD credit, I can potentially stack other credits in the future.

I'm with you on allowing companies to access my accounts. What I do is to pay a month in advance so there's never any need for them to pull a charge. Next I created a virtual credit card (BofA, Citi and maybe others offer them) with a $10 limit. I used that as the card on file with DirecTV. If I ever decide to leave DirecTV I don't have to worry since all they have on file is a card with a $10 limit. As long as I keep paying one month in advance the card is never accessed by them.

You don't have to pay 30 days in advance. I think they charge credit cards the same day the bill is created. So, if you pay a couple of days before that day, you're ok.

That worked for the past 2 years. Now it's become a battle to get the discount even with autopay. If you're new to the $10 credit it should work easily for you.

If you don't use the BofA or Citi you can also get prepaid credit cards at places like Walmart. Get one with a minimal amount on it and see if that will work with DirecTV.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...