Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2441 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,843 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have had Auto Bill Pay forever for this and a couple of my other bills.
I also use the Paperless Billing.
Each of the companies send me an email in advance of when they take out the money that shows the charges and the date that it will happen.
I have not had any problems with that so far.

The last time I called for the HD discount they told me they would do it. When I got the next bill it was indeed a reduction of the "Package" price and did not mention HD.
I am OK with that as long as it lowers my bill.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2442 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

Are the new customers that got the HD for life when they initially signed up still getting it?

I'm going to speculate that next year when the rates are adjusted that this $10 charge will go away. Of course, it will just be incorporated into increases across the board. :(
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#2443 OFFLINE   scb2k

scb2k

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Based on the responses lately, it looks like the Free HD credit is dead. I was going to call and try to get HD credit in exchange for auto-payment from my visa. I normally don't allow a company to deduct from my account for payment without me initiating the payment each month. It would have been worth it for $10 savings.

Has anyone been able to successfully get HD credit lately? I know they are giving credit not designated as HD credit. If credit is an HD credit, I can potentially stack other credits in the future.

I was able to get it added back to my account by talking to customer retention. The CSR was very nice and said, I will go ahead and add the Free HD for 24 months ($10 credit). This credit was on top of the $5 for 24 months another regular representative gave me. I was upset that the credit would not say FREE HD in my bill and it would be harder for me to add it again in 24 months. Now it's listed as is..

#2444 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

I was able to get it added back to my account by talking to customer retention. The CSR was very nice and said, I will go ahead and add the Free HD for 24 months ($10 credit). This credit was on top of the $5 for 24 months another regular representative gave me. I was upset that the credit would not say FREE HD in my bill and it would be harder for me to add it again in 24 months. Now it's listed as is..

You seem to be one of the lucky ones.

#2445 OFFLINE   wxman

wxman

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

My original $10 off/month expired last month. Was only able to get $5 off/month this time around. Better than nothing!

#2446 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Spoke to Retention and was able to get $10 off for 12 months. Guess I'll have to go through the hassle again in a year.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#2447 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

With the amount of money DirecTV loses to "retention" and cancellation calls, maybe it's high time they address the root of the problem? Oh, high programming costs? Yeah right. Say one thing, do another.

#2448 OFFLINE   latinkreationz

latinkreationz

Cool Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:16 PM

My 24 month HD credit ended this month. I called retentions and was offered $15 credit for 12 months with no contract extension. I took it for now. I'll revisit this situation next year.

#2449 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:40 PM

I'm checking every month waiting for mine to drop off. Just not sure what I'll do when it does.

#2450 OFFLINE   detroitlions

detroitlions

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

I was a new subscriber in November of 2010 and thought I had the free HD for life until the $10 credit stopped this past month. I found my original confirmation which states:

Free HD Access. At least 1 HD receiver, activation of HD Access and a programming package of CHOICE EXTRA™ and above, MAS ULTRA™ and above, or PREFERRED CHOICE™ are required to maintain the Free HD Access credit. Should you choose to down grade below a qualifying programming package and/or cancel HD service or Auto Bill Pay, the $10 monthly "Free HD Access" credit will be removed from your account and you won't be able to re-enroll.

Going to: http://web.archive.o...ooternavtype=-1 shows smack dab on their website, "Free HD For Life" right when I signed up.

I spoke with retentions today and they too were not sure why it was dropped or if I was still entitled to it. Long story short - they could not add it back in and gave me an $8 / month dvr fee credit for a year. Has any new subscriber in 2010 when they had this promo have the same issue? I'm going to call back in a few months and bring this up with them again.

Edited by detroitlions, 07 December 2012 - 11:07 PM.

#2451 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:24 AM

I was a new subscriber in November of 2010 and thought I had the free HD for life until the $10 credit stopped this past month. I found my original confirmation which states:

Free HD Access. At least 1 HD receiver, activation of HD Access and a programming package of CHOICE EXTRA™ and above, MAS ULTRA™ and above, or PREFERRED CHOICE™ are required to maintain the Free HD Access credit. Should you choose to down grade below a qualifying programming package and/or cancel HD service or Auto Bill Pay, the $10 monthly "Free HD Access" credit will be removed from your account and you won't be able to re-enroll.

Going to: http://web.archive.o...ooternavtype=-1 shows smack dab on their website, "Free HD For Life" right when I signed up.

I spoke with retentions today and they too were not sure why it was dropped or if I was still entitled to it. Long story short - they could not add it back in and gave me an $8 / month dvr fee credit for a year. Has any new subscriber in 2010 when they had this promo have the same issue? I'm going to call back in a few months and bring this up with them again.

Choice Ultimate would have been required if it was back from 2010.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#2452 OFFLINE   detroitlions

detroitlions

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Choice Ultimate would have been required if it was back from 2010.

I've had Choice Ultimate since I signed up with auto pay. Hopefully they can get this straightened out.

#2453 OFFLINE   byrd

byrd

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

It's been a couple weeks since anyone has posted here, but I thought I'd chime in quickly, to share my recent experience....

My 2 year free HD credit expired back at the end of July, but honestly I didn't pay much attention to my bill until this month (I know... shame on me!). So, I've now paid for 4 months of HD access. Also back in July, I had one of my HR24-500's go bad and it had to be replaced (I have the $5.99 monthly protection plan). Within a day or two after activating the replacement receiver, I received a post card in the mail congratulating me on 2 years of free HD access. I assumed that DTV was graciously extending my HD access due to the troubles with my receiver. Now, I actually think that the post card was just a misleading reminder that my free credit was about to expire.

So I called DTV today, explained my situation. The CSR that I spoke with didn't seem too particularly interested in the details. She just acknowledged the expiration of my previous HD credit and asked me to hold to see if they could reapply it. When she came back she said that they could give me the same $10 discount for an additional 12 months starting on my next bill. She said to call back when the new discount expires in a year and I can probably have it extended again... we'll see.

I suppose I could have fought harder for another 2 year discount, but I was fairly happy that 1 year came so easily, and it seems fairly consistent with some others' experiences. Maybe they are trusting that my tendency to procrastinate will lead me to contact them in 16 months, instead of 12, and they with get me to pay for another 4 months of HD access.

#2454 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

Maybe they are trusting that my tendency to procrastinate will lead me to contact them in 16 months, instead of 12, and they with get me to pay for another 4 months of HD access.

That's what they are hoping happens to a lot of people.

And then, of course there is the majority of people who don't even know about the HD credit.

#2455 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

I called yesterday to try to lower the monthly bill (free HD expired last month). The retention person, as usual, was cordial, knowledgeable and professional. She explained that the free HD was simply not available at this time. Offered me a 3- month credit and free movie channels for a while, with the possibility of the HD credit again becoming available in the future. I'm a 17 year user and ended up cancelling. In a month or so I'll be able to give an informed comparison of the Dish DVR vs. the HR-22. Between the rising monthly rate and unresponsive DVR I reached the limit of my tolerance.

#2456 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

And if Dish raises their rates next year, etc?

#2457 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I expect E* prices to go up next year, and assume D* will have a similar increase. I'm just looking at it over a 2-year horizon. The best that retention could do for me was dropping to the Entertainment package, which would have lowered my 2-year average by 13%. The Dish setup will lower my 2-year average by 41%, or if I include the $50 refer-a-friend bonus, 47%. This is also for a lower package than I have now, but good enough for us. I don't know how to put a dollar value on being liberated from the up to 15 second response to button presses on the remote. After 2 years, I'll look at what's best for the next 2 years.

#2458 OFFLINE   drkashner

drkashner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

My free HD ran out with my Dec. bill. I called retention last Fri. and was given an extension for 1 year. She said the 2 years wasn't available anymore, but she could give me 1 year and suggested I call back when my year is up. I've been with them since they were available in my area, I think 17 or 18 years. Mine was the first Directv dish the store sold and I installed it myself.

#2459 OFFLINE   pdxBeav

pdxBeav

Godfather

• Registered
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:03 PM

I expect E* prices to go up next year, and assume D* will have a similar increase. I'm just looking at it over a 2-year horizon. The best that retention could do for me was dropping to the Entertainment package, which would have lowered my 2-year average by 13%. The Dish setup will lower my 2-year average by 41%, or if I include the $50 refer-a-friend bonus, 47%. This is also for a lower package than I have now, but good enough for us. I don't know how to put a dollar value on being liberated from the up to 15 second response to button presses on the remote. After 2 years, I'll look at what's best for the next 2 years.

And that's exactly how you should look at it. Too many people have some strange emotional attachment to providers. They are just a corporation providing a service and looking to maximize their profits. If a different entity provides what you want for a lower price then it only makes sense to switch. :)

#2460 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 374 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

I expect E* prices to go up next year, and assume D* will have a similar increase. I'm just looking at it over a 2-year horizon. .

let us know what you think of Dish after you've had time to evaluate it, especially the HD quality. Who knows, I might have to jump ship after my two years are up.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

Protected By... spam firewall...And...