Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2461 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

Like to old saying, "The grass is always greener, on the other side. Until you get there".

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2462 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,309 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:56 AM

Like to old saying, "The grass is always greener, on the other side. Until you get there".

I thought it was "the grass is always greener over the septic tank"?

(Erma Bombeck)

#2463 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Just as a heads up to everyone who was promised an extension on their free HD access. Keep an eye on your statements.

On or about June 18, 2012 I called in and was promised another twelve months even though I requested the 24 months that some were getting. I posted in this thread at that time, about my situation.

My last bill shows that the credit is gone.

I emailed DTV and they said that my free 6 months of HD access was expired and that they couldn't extend it any longer.

I advised them that I was promised 12 months and not 6 months.

Still waiting to hear back from them.

Always something with these guys........:(

#2464 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,246 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

let us know what you think of Dish after you've had time to evaluate it, especially the HD quality. Who knows, I might have to jump ship after my two years are up.

I evaluated Dish for a couple of years and was pleasantly surprised by the HD quality. While not the same as DirecTV on paper, in practice you can't really see much difference unless you really look closely. They had a lot more HD than DirecTV as well. So I didn't have to suffer through DirecTV's horrible SD. It was also nice never having to pay a $10 HD fee since it's free for life. I have cable TV now, which beats both Dish and DirecTV in terms of the number of HD channels and picture quality. My HD bitrates average 12-18Mbps, which is higher than I ever had with DirecTV and much higher than Dish. They don't charge extra for HD either.

#2465 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

I evaluated Dish for a couple of years and was pleasantly surprised by the HD quality. While not the same as DirecTV on paper, in practice you can't really see much difference unless you really look closely. They had a lot more HD than DirecTV as well. So I didn't have to suffer through DirecTV's horrible SD. It was also nice never having to pay a $10 HD fee since it's free for life. I have cable TV now, which beats both Dish and DirecTV in terms of the number of HD channels and picture quality. My HD bitrates average 12-18Mbps, which is higher than I ever had with DirecTV and much higher than Dish. They don't charge extra for HD either.

what cable system???

and how much does each DRV and EACH HD box cost??
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#2466 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Not that way around here. They don't charge for it, they just build the HD price into the package (which is higher than DirecTV or Dish, for the equivalent package), charge a lot more than DirecTV for DVR fees and to add additional boxes it is a lot more than the DirecTV or Dish.

They don't offer the (MLB) sports package. They only offer a few premium movie channels in HD.

Several family members have seen how much more HD DirecTV has to offer and ended switching to it from cable.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#2467 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,437 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

The problem with cable is its highly dependent on market. Time Warner here looks horrid, or did about 2 years ago. HD looked almost as bad as full screen DirecTV SD.

#2468 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Just as a heads up to everyone who was promised an extension on their free HD access. Keep an eye on your statements.

On or about June 18, 2012 I called in and was promised another twelve months even though I requested the 24 months that some were getting. I posted in this thread at that time, about my situation.

My last bill shows that the credit is gone.

I emailed DTV and they said that my free 6 months of HD access was expired and that they couldn't extend it any longer.

I advised them that I was promised 12 months and not 6 months.

Still waiting to hear back from them.

Always something with these guys........:(

Well I finally got another email from Directv in which they agreed to extend the credit for another year and that it would start in next months bill.

At least this time it's in writing..........

#2469 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,395 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

You think i could get HD fee waived for a year?, probably not because im already receiving 54 bucks of credit but another 10 wouldn't hurt :D plus i have good payment history, not trying to cheat the system or think im entitled to everything but just trying to save a few bucks.

#2470 OFFLINE   Krazeyman

Krazeyman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

You think i could get HD fee waived for a year?, probably not because im already receiving 54 bucks of credit but another 10 wouldn't hurt :D plus i have good payment history, not trying to cheat the system or think im entitled to everything but just trying to save a few bucks.

I would guess yes you could, but more than likely you would need to be on auto bill pay and possibly enter a commitment for the duration of the discount.

#2471 ONLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

I signed up for free HD for life with auto pay when I first joined 2.5 years ago. I just realized that the credit was abruptly dropped in January. A quick call this morning yielded little results. I was told it would have to be escalated since it appears there was no reason why I shouldn't continue to receive the credit but that I'd have to wait upwards of ten days before I hear back.

I'm hoping for the best....

#2472 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Call back again. Sounds like that CSR didn't know how to fix it so they just told you that to get you off the phone.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#2473 ONLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

Call back again. Sounds like that CSR didn't know how to fix it so they just told you that to get you off the phone.

I tried again and was told that the escalation was submitted yesterday and to wait the 10 days. But I did get a $10 discount applied immediately while I wait to have it resolved.

#2474 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:44 PM

let us know what you think of Dish after you've had time to evaluate it, especially the HD quality. Who knows, I might have to jump ship after my two years are up.

Comparison after 6 weeks of Dish: My opinion is that the HD quality is the same. My wife thinks Dish is better, but I'm the picture expert around here :-) There are differences in how the UI works. Some of it is better with Dish, some better with Direct. I visited somebody with Direct over the weekend and was reminded of those horrible ads in the guide, which Dish doesn't have. One page had 2 shows and the rest was ads. Nasty, nasty. The responsiveness of the Dish DVR almost seems like a miracle after using the HR-22. I think Direct's remote layout is a lot more logical. Ironically, and unexpected by me, the most significant advantage for us with Dish is OTA reception. I'm in a rural area with a few local stations and some low power translators from the big city stations that are 20 to 35 miles away. I couldn't see these translators with Direct because they don't have guide data, and if they did the AM21 wouldn't pick them up anyway (it had trouble with one of the local stations). AND, while I find the translators by scanning stations, they have the guide data even though the originating station is outside my DMA. Does the Genie provide that for scanned stations? With the satellite stations and ignoring the responsive issue it's about an overall wash for me as far as stations and usability goes, for a little over half the total price over the 2-year period. The added OTA capability is of huge value to us, while it might not make a whit of difference for other users.

#2475 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

Comparison after 6 weeks of Dish: My opinion is that the HD quality is the same. My wife thinks Dish is better, but I'm the picture expert around here :-) There are differences in how the UI works. Some of it is better with Dish, some better with Direct. I visited somebody with Direct over the weekend and was reminded of those horrible ads in the guide, which Dish doesn't have. One page had 2 shows and the rest was ads. Nasty, nasty. The responsiveness of the Dish DVR almost seems like a miracle after using the HR-22. I think Direct's remote layout is a lot more logical. Ironically, and unexpected by me, the most significant advantage for us with Dish is OTA reception. I'm in a rural area with a few local stations and some low power translators from the big city stations that are 20 to 35 miles away. I couldn't see these translators with Direct because they don't have guide data, and if they did the AM21 wouldn't pick them up anyway (it had trouble with one of the local stations). AND, while I find the translators by scanning stations, they have the guide data even though the originating station is outside my DMA. Does the Genie provide that for scanned stations? With the satellite stations and ignoring the responsive issue it's about an overall wash for me as far as stations and usability goes, for a little over half the total price over the 2-year period. The added OTA capability is of huge value to us, while it might not make a whit of difference for other users.

I'm about six months into my deal with Dish. The family misses Disney stuff being in HD. I don't really miss anything. And my HD is FREE for life without having to call in and beg for it every year.

#2476 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:12 AM

I've been having issues with the free HD for a few months now. It is not set to expire until April. The credit has not shown up on my bill for the last few months and I have had to call each month.

Each time I call, the CSR verifies that it is suppose to be there, tells me they cannot figure out why it is not showing up, sends me to someone else to "add it back on", I get told it "won't happen again". Rinse and repeat monthly.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

spam firewall