Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

They're trying to kill two birds with one stone here. Being able to use the same "HD for life" terminology will supposedly give them the claim that they're keeping up with Dishnet, and at the same time, they're using this as a sales gimmick.
Maybe in time we'll see enough push back from unhappy D* subs that they'll offer it to existing customers.
Hopefully competition will prevail on this one!
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

Great deal for new subscribers.

Hope they attract lots of them! :)
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:26 PM

I just sent an email to customer service requesting the same deal. I'm already doing auto pay Hope they come through . I mentioned Dish was also offering same deal with existing customers.

I would consider doing that, but when I called to cancel HBO/Cinemax last week, they offered me HD free for 6 months to keep them...and I really don't want to go overboard on getting stuff.

#24 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

Great deal for new subscribers.

Crappy deal for existing customers. IMHO where this is different, the usual new customer deal is for 12 months and then it's over. This is a deal that will save the customer $120/year year after year after year.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#25 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

I'm guessing it will only take me one phone call to get this applied to my account.
DTV = Digital Television

#26 OFFLINE   jstutman

jstutman

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:29 PM

#27 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Crappy deal for existing customers. IMHO where this is different, the usual new customer deal is for 12 months and then it's over. This is a deal that will save the customer $120/year year after year after year.

Yeah, I understand initial equipment or short term programming discounts to attract new subs, but offering a "for life" programming discount to new subs only makes it appear that DIRECTV cares more about new subs than their current subscriber base.

#28 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

*grabs ankles*
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#29 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Drop the fee for everyone--and advertise the heck out of the fact you're doing it--or don't drop it at all. This isn't even a temporary promo offer but a "for life" offer that for new customers that totally screws anyone with an ounce of loyalty. That's an $120/year incentive to constantly switch services.

Actually, it is a limited time offer. It's for new customers who sign up between 6/5/2010 and 7/21/2010.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#30 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

:mad::mad::mad:

I hope this is a sign of things to come though, with no monthly charge for HD across the board :D

But I can see the retention CSR's getting alot of work from the DBSTalk members wanting this deal :lol:

BTW I attached the PDF file :D

Very true, but considering the PDF you attached clearly applies to new customers only, isn't the best you might get from a retention CSR $10/off for 12 months, and more likely $10/off for 6 months?

I mean, can retention CSR's give us the same deal as the PDF, i.e. $10/off for life of the account?

How about for those of us not on "current" packages (I have legacy Choice Xtra + HDDVR and technically don't get assessed an HD fee, it's incorporated into my legacy package)? I want $10/off for the life of my account and not have to change my package, but somehow I'm guess a retention CSR won't go that far.

P.S. I agree with those that think this is NOT the same as the DISH Network offer. The DISH network offer is essentially eliminating the (IMHO ridiculous) HD "fee." For all DISH network customers. DirecTV is only doing it for those who sign up from 6/5/10-7/21/10, but still keeping the HD fee for everyone else.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#31 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

It all depends on their long-term plan.

We also need to see the official specifics (maybe tomorrow), and maybe within a year they plan to drop for everyone, which would be the same as just a one year deal/difference for the newbies.

Either way, as with most things, you get what you get at the time, and live with it.

I figure that I get good value for the fee paid, and if someone gets a better deal then great for them, but then again I'm not one to ever call to get a credit for anything just because someone else luckily got it.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#32 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 609 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

OTOH, we all know that a fee to have access to HD versions of channels you already pay for is preposterous. We put up with it for other reasons (And also that the other sat competitor, DISH network had it too).

Well now DISH Network is eliminating it for all DISH network customers, current and new. But DirecTV is only going to eliminate it for new customers who sign up between 6/5-7/21.

I think that is a legitimate gripe.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#33 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:53 PM

OTOH, we all know that a fee to have access to HD versions of channels you already pay for is preposterous ...

Tell that to the content providers!

It seems like a number of the recent HD negotiations are a horror story.

#34 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it is undeniable there is a certain segment on this forum that would defend DirecTV if they started roasting kittens to produce their programming.

#35 OFFLINE   gib4500

gib4500

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:55 PM

You get what you get at the time and live with it or you can switch to dish network. Is this what you want directv? If they give this deal exclusively to new customers and don't allow us loyal customers in on it i may just switch to dish network. I take it as a slap in the face to loyal customers. I have been happy with directv up to this point, but i have to admit dish network deal is much better at this point. So hopefully they wake up and match the other sat provider for this deal.

#36 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

We also need to see the official specifics (maybe tomorrow), and maybe within a year they plan to drop for everyone, which would be the same as just a one year deal/difference for the newbies.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Maybe they do drop the HD fee, and "absorb" that cost into the standard packages in a year. Even if that's the case, customers that get "free HD for life" will appparently always have a $10 credit each month. D* may have some "creative" ways of forcing them to keep a higher priced package to continue to draw that credit (and offset some of the gain.)

Ultimately, I think you're right, more facts are needed... If everything reads as written a $10 a month credit (for life) will draw a lot of ire from existing customers...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#37 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:57 PM

Tell that to the content providers!

It seems like a number of the recent HD negotiations are a horror story.

Who watches sd broadcasts if they have the choice anymore? :lol:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#38 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:04 PM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it is undeniable there is a certain segment on this forum that would defend DirecTV if they started roasting kittens to produce their programming.

It's interesting that you state it that way.

I put myself in the category of not really caring what it costs.

Did the technical evaluation ... FiOS had the best internet service and DirecTV had the best TV service ... for this specific homes needs.

Then just pay whatever it is each month, and figure they'll keep competitive to stay in business.

If they decide to run some short-term promotion to attract new customers, then good for those lucky enough to be in need of new service during this specific 6 week period. They certainly don't owe me anything.

Others might be more price sensitive, while some are just content/service sensitive.

And the FiOS supported DVR s*cks, and Dish can't do my RSN in HD, so there's really not much competition here anyway. :)

To each his/her own.

Edited by Sixto, 03 June 2010 - 09:19 PM.

#39 OFFLINE   chevyguy559

chevyguy559

Fresno State Bulldog!

• Registered
  • 707 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

yl67TNDW-0Q

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fits perfectly IMO

DirecTV Subscriber Since 11/2008
Choice Ultimate - HD Extra - RZC
(2) HR22-100
(1) HR22-100 (Owned)
(1) HR21-100 (Owned)

#40 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

That video is great and right on.
Really I could care less about the 24 month discounts offered for new subs But a lifetime 120 dollar a year discount I'll fight for and do care about. Plus the 10 dollar charge now will be 15 then 20 etc. down the road. Don't want to miss out on this one for sure.

spam firewall