Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   marker101

marker101

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

:lol: I thought of the same commercial immediately. Yeah...But....I'm new too!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:19 PM

:mad::mad::mad:

I hope this is a sign of things to come though, with no monthly charge for HD across the board :D

But I can see the retention CSR's getting alot of work from the DBSTalk members wanting this deal :lol:

BTW I attached the PDF file :D

I have to admit that I will be calling on the 5th to see if they will give this deal to me although i've only been w/ Directv since 03.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

#43 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:24 PM

I think it's "interesting" how DirecTV sticks it to their customer base in every single way possible.

You want to lock your customers into long term contracts--with big ETF fees and no pricing guarantee--for doing just about anything? OK, then show me the benefit. I might happily sign up every two years if, every two years, I got a new customer deal. Even if that deal only lasted 6-12 months of my two-year contract. Or, insist on a contract for new customers, but once you've been a customer for two years (straight) you can now do anything (upgrade, etc.) without being locked in again. Or, at very, very least, DirecTV can't raise your price when you're "in contract."

You want to play hard ball with content providers and drop channels? OK, then show your customers you mean what you say and give them a monthly rebate for the missing channel. Even if it's just what you pay to carry it, say, 50 cents a month. It's not a big profit loss, but it's a huge customer relations boon and would definitely up your credibility considerably. Speaking of which, it's probably a good idea NOT to raise rates 90 days after you publicly lambast said channel's parent company, saying you're fighting the good fight to keep from raising customer's rates in these tough economic times.

You want me to pay significant up front fees for receivers, an additional monthly "lease fee" AND return those receivers I paid for to you when I'm done? OK, then there shouldn't ALSO be an automatic contract renewal for upgrading. Trust me, we've already paid (through the nose) for that "privlege." Especially when "upgrading" means I might very well get a receiver someone else has already paid you $199 for (and I can't even choose which model you'll send).

Oh and, if I do pay $199 for a DVR (and an additional monthly fee for that receiver) I shouldn't have to pay ANOTHER fee to use the DVR part of that DVR (hence the name) I just bought--oops I mean "leased." Not to mention ANOTHER fee to use another part of the receiver's service (e.g. MRV).

And if I paid for a channel AND paid to have an HD receiver/dish/etc. than I shouldn't have to pay AGAIN to actually see the darn channel in HD.

And after I've paid for all of the above PLUS the premium/platinum/everything package I shouldn't have to pay another amount of money to actually get every HD channel you offer. Also, you probably shouldn't put out press releases saying you're going to add HD versions of channels and then not do it, for whatever reason, and give your customer's no explanations other than "we can change our service at any time." (You know, because I have a contract with you that says I can't do a darn thing about it. Na, na, boo, boo.)

DirecTV is a very profitable company. They'd be just as profitable--I'd argue maybe even more so--if they didn't tick people off with nickel and dime jerk fees that they impose simply because they can. It's one thing to have a teaser "$25/month" (or whatever) crap package that doesn't contain any of the channels people actually want just so they can advertise that "starting at" price point. It's another to be a loyal, long term customer who pays for the top-of-the-line package and then get's nickel and dimed to death and can't even walk away to execute the limited choice available to them (we can't get cable or anything else but sat where I live) because DirecTV has them "under contract." (Made even more galling when I didn't even do anything to renew said contract and DirecTV refuses to prove it even exists.)

By the way, for what it's worth, my monthly DirecTV bill is just under $200. That includes tax, but just about half of that (40%) are extra fees, above and beyond the cost of my so-called premium package.

I know it's a radical concept but DirecTV could offer quality programming and good customer service at fair prices and then let people decide if they want to be customers, and for how long. If the cost is comparable and the service provided solid, the vast majority will stay.

You think if they didn't have the bulk of their customer base "locked in" they'd pull stuff like "new customers get for free--for as long as they stay customers--what everyone else pays for?" Not a chance. What really matters is the number they can put in their quarterly report that says such-and-such amount of customers gained. If they cared about those customers, instead of just their stock price, the latter would probably benefit quite a bit actually.

Edited by susanandmark, 04 June 2010 - 07:59 AM.

#44 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:29 PM

Rant & horrible business ideas removed.

Yet, you continue to pay this company that you're so angry with. :lol: :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#45 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

Yet, you continue to pay this company that you're so angry with. :lol: :rolleyes:

I think it's hysterical (and very telling) that you deem treating people fairly and decently a "horrible business idea."

#46 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,961 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

I'M LOCKED INTO THEIR CRAPPY BOGUS CONTRACT!!!

And, by the way, I think it's hysterical that you deem treating people fairly and decently a "horrible business idea."

Pay the ETF. No, you'd rather keep supporting big, bad, mean, & evil Directv.
$0.50 refund for removing a channel is horrible.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#47 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

I think it's hysterical (and very telling) that you deem treating people fairly and decently a "horrible business idea."

"Fair" is such a horrible word. I despise most of it's uses.
Just like "Deserve". YUCK.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#48 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

I think it's "interesting" how DirecTV sticks it to their customer base in every single way possible ...

Lots of interesting points.

I guess that the way I look at it, to live a life without rising blood pressure (:)) is ...

They have all the HD content I could ever need, including the mandatory sports stuff, and all the cool special events in HD.

They (now) have a dam slick DVR that we love (here).

The MRV technology is wonderful. Anywhere viewing in 7 rooms. Family loves it.

Well, you get the idea ...

And the charges ... well, I put that bill on auto-pay to a credit card, and try not to ever look at the details.

It's a great service ... and well, it costs what it costs (alot :))...

Now, this may not be a good recipe for some (or most), but it's how I view the whole thing.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#49 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:40 PM

$0.50 refund for removing a channel is horrible.

Would 50 cents (or whatever DirecTV pays per subscriber for an individual channel) mean much to any customer? Not really. But it would certainly show that DirecTV corporate wasn't talking out of its nether regions when it very publicly protested that as the reason for dropping said channel. It would also cost DirecTV virtually nothing since, when the channel isn't carried, they're not paying that amount out anyway. It would gain a heck a lot of goodwill--and tons of good press (i.e. extremely valuable free advertising). And it prevent people from feeling totally screwed and, thus, wanting to publicly complain and/or change their service (all things that cost a company money). I guess I fail to understand how, from a business standpoint, that's a "horrible" idea?

Edited by susanandmark, 03 June 2010 - 10:08 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

Would 50 cents (or whatever DirecTV pays per subscriber for an individual channel) mean much to any customer? Not really. But it would certainly show that DirecTV corporate wasn't talking out of its nether regions when it very publicly protested that as the reason for dropping said channel. It also wouldn't cost the company anything since, when the channel isn't carried, they're not paying that amount out anyway. It would gain a heck a lot of goodwill--and tons of good press (i.e. extremely valuable free advertising). So explain again, from a business standpoint, how that's a "horrible" idea?

And, by the way, even if I never leave DirecTV, I'm still entitled to have an opinion on their business practices. (You, of course, are entitled to mock and ignore me as well.) I wish it wasn't the case but, based on where I live (and, no, I'm not moving either just for TV), satellite is my only television option. I can't even just go OTA (which I actually might consider if possible), since we can't get reception here. Switching to Dish would result in a per month savings, but the upfront equipment costs/set-up to make it comparable to what we have now would take quite a bit of time and money.

Which up front costs?

#51 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

This is Bull$#!+

#52 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

Great deal for new subscribers.

Hope they attract lots of them! :)

Aren't you upset that you can't get it? I know I am!
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

#53 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Would 50 cents (or whatever DirecTV pays per subscriber for an individual channel) mean much to any customer? Not really. But it would certainly show that DirecTV corporate wasn't talking out of its nether regions when it very publicly protested that as the reason for dropping said channel. It also wouldn't cost the company anything since, when the channel isn't carried, they're not paying that amount out anyway. It would gain a heck a lot of goodwill--and tons of good press (i.e. extremely valuable free advertising). So explain again, from a business standpoint, how that's a "horrible" idea?

And, by the way, even if I never leave DirecTV, I'm still entitled to have an opinion on their business practices. (You, of course, are entitled to mock and ignore me as well.) I wish it wasn't the case but, based on where I live (and, no, I'm not moving either just for TV), satellite is my only television option. I can't even just go OTA (which I actually might consider if possible), since we can't get reception here. Switching to Dish would result in a per month savings, but the upfront equipment costs/set-up to make it comparable to what we have now would take quite a bit of time and money.

Your sense of entitlement is well documented. We get it. Your contract will up soon enough.
DTV = Digital Television

#54 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

Your sense of entitlement is well documented. We get it. Your contract will up soon enough.

Kind of what I was getting at. ;)

#55 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:42 PM

I figure that I get good value for the fee paid, and if someone gets a better deal then great for them, but then again I'm not one to ever call to get a credit for anything just because someone else luckily got it.

This attitude is exactly the reason DirecTV can shaft its existing and loyal customers while sucking off every new customer they can. The New programming deals are only temporary, but unless they eleiminate the $10 HD fee altogether, this is a BIG deal.

#56 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

They might both be doing it, but looks like Dish's offer is better. Two year contract, but current customers qualify, and the eligibility period is longer.

For Dish current customers, the Breakdown looks this

How do Existing Customers get HD Free for Life?
Does the customer subscribe to HD now?
• Yes - They subscribe to HD & Platinum
• This customer will automatically be enrolled in HD Free for Life, with no
additional requirements, and the HD Platinum package for $10 per month
resulting in no price change.

Bronze, Silver and Gold HD people may not be as happy though.

• Yes - They subscribe to BronzeHD, SilverHD, or GoldHD (yes they do exist!)
• This customer must go to www.dishnetwork.com and make a 24-month
commitment and sign up for AutoPay and Paperless billing.
• If the customer does not want to meet these requirements, they can go to
www.dishnetwork.com or call DISH Network and pay a one-time, $99
HD Upgrade fee.

For new users Dish is offering it for a 2yr commitment, Paperless billing and Autopay or the one time $99 and no autopay and no paperless billing.

For New customers only they are offering
•HD FREE for life
•$15 off per month-for 12 months
•Free upgrade to HD DVR
•3 months free HBO and Showtime
•3 HD receivers for free

As a current sub with HD and Platinum I am happy for once I get the deal and don't have to do anything.

Edited by GrumpyBear, 03 June 2010 - 11:11 PM.

#57 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,903 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

The HD fee makes wonder if these cable/satellite companies had been around during the B&W/Color transition if they would have charge a color fee?

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#58 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

I'm guessing it will only take me one phone call to get this applied to my account.

let me guess, even free isnt good enough because the programing stations "distort" the HD image? LOL

#59 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:19 PM

Well now DISH Network is eliminating it for all DISH network customers, current and new. But DirecTV is only going to eliminate it for new customers who sign up between 6/5-7/21.

I think that is a legitimate gripe.

I agree. DISH's plan does require paperless billing and a two year commitment (for new and existing customers who didn't modify their HD plan since last August). That is a "cost" that some people don't want to pay. But for customers who signed up since last August or who changed their HD plan to the "$10 gives you everything including the extra channel" plan introduced then DISH is offering a good deal. And new customers get a decent deal too.

DirecTV's "limited time offer" will cut into the impact of DISH's offer thanks to market confusion. Perhaps DirecTV will extend their offer beyond 7/21 and (hopefully) allow existing customers who have paid their dues to get in on it. Perhaps not.

There is a certain value in saying that the HD costs money because it is worth the money. But the challenge has been made. Does DirecTV want to compare $124.99 for Premier w/HD vs $99.99 for America's Everything Package? Or at the low end $68.99 for Choice vs $54.99 for AT200?

If DirecTV does not follow suit and drop their HD fee permanently they will have to find another way to market around the price difference.

#60 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:31 PM

let me guess, even free isnt good enough because the programing stations "distort" the HD image? LOL

If anything...Dish should be offering even steeper discounts for what they call HD.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...