Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Nothing is free. Free HD now will just be compensated for elsewhere. Neither provider will lose any money over this...they'll just find a more creative way to apply the charge.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Fabuloso

Fabuloso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:02 AM

Nothing is free. Free HD now will just be compensated for elsewhere. Neither provider will lose any money over this...they'll just find a more creative way to apply the charge.

i bet they raise the fee on HD PPV

#63 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:55 AM

Neither provider will lose any money over this.

Yes they will lose $10/mo. for each qualified account. So far there is no other fee increases to offset such loss. But apparently both of them consider this a necessary evil in order to respond to cable's "no HD fee" slogan.

What the Dish subs should hope for is DirecTV starting to put in its ads everywhere that "there is only one DVR fee no matter how many DVRs do you have," then maybe Dish will follow.

#64 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:42 AM

I just sent an email to customer service requesting the same deal. I'm already doing auto pay Hope they come through . I mentioned Dish was also offering same deal with existing customers.

How can you request something that doesn't exist, and when it does it won't apply to existing customers? :scratchin

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#65 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,499 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:09 AM

What the Dish subs should hope for is DirecTV starting to put in its ads everywhere that "there is only one DVR fee no matter how many DVRs do you have," then maybe Dish will follow.

DISH already has only one DVR fee per account (since February). The caveat is they charge $3 more for an additional receiver that is a DVR than one that isn't but THAT isn't a DVR fee. :rolleyes:

"We don't charge extra for having more than one DVR" might work for DirecTV.

"Free HD for Life" would work for DirecTV as well.

#66 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

How can you request something that doesn't exist, and when it does it won't apply to existing customers? :scratchin

Mike

Easily. I sent a PDF file copy of the national offer going into effect tomorrow. How can you not ask for the deal of a lifetime is my question? :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Attached Files

#67 OFFLINE   HerntDawg

HerntDawg

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:18 AM

It is not the deal of a lifetime, so it is not that big of a deal.

#68 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:11 AM

Well, I usually just go with the flow on these things but as a 15+ year customer I have to admit I am a little taken back about this. Us early adapters made Directv what it is today. From paying $700 for my first receiver and dish that I self installed to being first with HD and paying $650 for an HD (non DVR) receiver that got 4 HD channels and of course missing out on all the free programming offers that accompany new subs today.

And what do we get, GAME LOUNGE FREE FOR 3 MONTHS. Come-on Directv, show us some love.:nono2:

Almost forgot. $999 for an HD Tivo now a door stop.

Edited by Hdhead, 04 June 2010 - 06:33 AM.

2 - HR20-100s
1 - HR21-100
1 - HR21-700
1 - HR34 Genie
1 - H24-100
1 - H24-200
SWM16/DECA

#69 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:20 AM

Yes they will lose $10/mo. for each qualified account. So far there is no other fee increases to offset such loss. But apparently both of them consider this a necessary evil in order to respond to cable's "no HD fee" slogan.

Trust me...that $10 will be rolled in somewhere else at some point and those funds will be recovered. Comcast touts not charging extra for HD, but you had better believe that they are making up for it elsewhere.
DTV = Digital Television

#70 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:52 AM

I think they should just allow the new subs within the last 60 days to get in on the free HD for life deal. Those that don't mind forking out that extra 10 this year maybe 15 next year can just keep paying for my freebie. :biggrin:

Not quite right is it. :nono2:

#71 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

Who watches sd broadcasts if they have the choice anymore? :lol:

ME!! :D

#72 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

Well got a response and looks like the offer may be retracted or someones joke before it goes into effect.

"Thanks for writing. I see that you're one of our new customers and we welcome you to DIRECTV family.

I understand your concern about our programming service offers. Please be advised that we do not have any promotion offering free HD Access for life."

#73 OFFLINE   Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

I truly do not understand all the angst over this issue. Competition is a wonderful thing. How much hammering over this issue by Dish do you think DirecTV can take before having to respond in kind? Eventually both will be doing it while finding other neat ways to recoup the revenue. But at least everyone will be happy because their HD is "free".:lol:

#74 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

They might both be doing it, but looks like Dish's offer is better. Two year contract, but current customers qualify, and the eligibility period is longer.

I agree. I have a 1 yr free HD access anyway. But lifetime would be better. Sucks that current subs can't take advantage.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#75 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,857 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:25 AM

Easily. I sent a PDF file copy of the national offer going into effect tomorrow. How can you not ask for the deal of a lifetime is my question? :shrug::shrug::shrug:

I didn't realize you were a new customer. :rolleyes:

"This is a limited time offer available for new customers."

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#76 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,965 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:58 AM

... "Please be advised that we do not have any promotion offering free HD Access for life."

Which is true, possibly until tomorrow.

Sales 101 ... keep selling what's on the truck.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#77 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,973 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

Well got a response and looks like the offer may be retracted or someones joke before it goes into effect.

"Thanks for writing. I see that you're one of our new customers and we welcome you to DIRECTV family.

I understand your concern about our programming service offers. Please be advised that we do not have any promotion offering free HD Access for life."

Since the offer doesn't start until tomorrow the CSR's may not have even been informed about it yet. History has shown that we usually know about new offerings before the CSR's do.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#78 OFFLINE   wmb

wmb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

Tell that to the content providers!

It seems like a number of the recent HD negotiations are a horror story.

I can imagne these negotiations...

Content provider: We want a 10% increase for our SD channel, and $(something) for the HD version.

DTV: Um, no. We will pay you for the HD channel what we paid you for the SD channel last year. The SD channel really has no value to us. We will take the HD feed and send it out letterboxed to our SD customers.

Content provider: But your customers want our HD channel. Its an upgrade, value added product.

DTV: Yeah, that was true in 2006 when there were only 10 HD channels. Today, HD is the standard offering. Now, our customers want HD only packages with no HD add on fee. Thats what we are looking to give them.

#79 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

Since the offer doesn't start until tomorrow the CSR's may not have even been informed about it yet. History has shown that we usually know about new offerings before the CSR's do.

Rather the CSR knows or not, it would be hard for the CSR to give anybody something that doesn't exist yet. Call back or email after the launch, and it exists in the sysem.

#80 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

I already have a current plan (Choice Xtra) and I've been signed up for auto bill pay since I ordered D* over 2 years ago. I would gladly accept a new 2 year agreement, or pay a $99 upgrade fee to get the HD Access fee removed from my account for the remainder of my time with D*.

I really think that D* needs to reconsider their offer and match E*'s more closely.

spam firewall