Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

Well, I usually just go with the flow on these things but as a 15+ year customer I have to admit I am a little taken back about this. Us early adapters made Directv what it is today. From paying $700 for my first receiver and dish that I self installed to being first with HD and paying $650 for an HD (non DVR) receiver that got 4 HD channels and of course missing out on all the free programming offers that accompany new subs today.

And what do we get, GAME LOUNGE FREE FOR 3 MONTHS. Come-on Directv, show us some love.:nono2:

Almost forgot. $999 for an HD Tivo now a door stop.

+1! 15 years for me too! Exactly the same for me! What did I get for an anniversary gift, a free PPV that I'll never use! I feel slighted here! :nono2:
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

I expect that we will see reports here tomorrow from folks who called to complain and were given this offer as existing customers as well.
DTV = Digital Television

#83 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

Easily. I sent a PDF file copy of the national offer going into effect tomorrow. How can you not ask for the deal of a lifetime is my question? :shrug::shrug::shrug:

Ok, tell me if I am reading this right. In the comparison grid, DirecTV is listing it as a bad thing that Dish might make you pay $99 to ALLOW you to keep getting hard copy bills and not have autopay, when DirecTV, while I guess they will still send you a bill, REQUIRES you to be on autopay to get the offer. So, yes, Dish might charge you, but they also are giving you somethign DirecTV will not even give at any price. Man, the marketing people must have worked overtime to find a way to spin that.

Now, I can't say I am happy spending $10 a month more than Joe Schmoe who signs up next week. But I am not going to leave over it as inspite of flaws, I still think DirecTV is better. I too am hoping that this is just a precursor to eliminating the fee altogether (or whichever way they shuffle the numbers to make it look that way). On the other hand, if this is truly a credit in perpetuity, then even when they reshuffle to eliminate the HD fee, the new peopel will still be getting it cheaper. HMM.

It will also kind of suck to be the guy who signs up in August when I guess DirecTV just does not appreciate new customers as much as in June and July. :D

+1! 15 years for me too! Exactly the same for me! What did I get for an anniversary gift, a free PPV that I'll never use! I feel slighted here! :nono2:

Not only that, but it is a coupon where you have to pay for the PPV first, then mail the coupon it to get credit. WHy not jsut set a flag in teh system so your next PPV is no charge. Hey, that would actually save them money on the printing of the coupons. Then again, they probably know people will remember the good feelings of getting the coupon even if they don;t use it.

I expect that we will see reports here tomorrow from folks who called to complain and were given this offer as existing customers as well.

And if that is the case, then the HD fee is over as DirecTV will have thousands of people calling in and requestiog this and a customer revolt on their hnds.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#84 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

And if that is the case, then the HD fee is over as DirecTV will have thousands of people calling in and requestiog this and a customer revolt on their hnds.

I don't see a revolt, but there will be some people that playing CSR roulette, will be able to get the offer. This site isn't a large portion of the overall Direct Base, so even "if" a large portion of DBSTalk users get the offer, it wont have that big of effect.

#85 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:15 AM

Wow. What an original idea. DirecTV is having a promotion to bring in new customers. They should patent this concept. :rolleyes:

There's an old salesman's joke I've told here before but it's been a couple of years.

A man dies and turns up at the Pearly Gates. St. Peter explains to him that we have it all wrong here on Earth. What you do in life doesn't determine if you go to Heaven or Hell. Instead, you get a 24 hour pass to check out both places and you pick where you want to end up for eternity. The man first goes to Heaven and it is exactly what he expected - babbling brooks, lush clouds, sweet music and sugar frosting. It is Paradise. He then takes the express to Hell and it's nothing like he thought it would be. There are naked babes everywhere, great music, liquor freely running from taps, and a Super Bowl every day. It's easily the best party he's ever been to. After a solid day of extreme partying with no next day hangover, the man goes back to St. Peter and says while he would enjoy Heaven, he choses Hell. St. Peter makes sure that's what he really wants. Yes, the man replies. Returning to Hell, its newest resident is met with fire, brimstone, searing flesh and pains of agony. He hunts down the Devil and says, "Hey, Beelzebub, what happened to the nude chicks, first run movies and cold beer?" The Devil looks him in the eye and says, "Back then you were a prospect. Now you're a customer."

Nothing new here from DirecTV. :nono:

Especially considering they are doing this to counter a promotion from the competition. And as people are saying here, they will make up the $10 elsewhere. I just bought a bag of five pens for $1 at the market that was labeled, "Buy Four, Get One Free!" Now who of you really thinks I got a free pen and those pens didn't actually cost me 20¢ each?

Edited by Carl Spock, 04 June 2010 - 09:30 AM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#86 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:21 AM

I say we all call in tomorrow and demand free HD for life, if they don't give it to us then we all threaten to switch to E*. :lol:

One thing to note, the free HD for life doesn't include the channels from the HD extra pack, that will still cost $4.99 a month.

#87 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,925 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

I don't see a revolt, but there will be some people that playing CSR roulette, will be able to get the offer. This site isn't a large portion of the overall Direct Base, so even "if" a large portion of DBSTalk users get the offer, it wont have that big of effect.

That might be true until they start with a national TV and/or print ad campaign and then the millions of existing DirecTV HD customers call in to b*tch about it.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#88 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:50 AM

That might be true until they start with a national TV and/or print ad campaign and then the millions of existing DirecTV HD customers call in to b*tch about it.

Yeah, this is a little different than the typical new customer offer I think. Ok, some guy gets it for $5 a month less or gets a better reciver. You have to be in a tech site or here to even know the difference because the offer is not spelled out as plainly. However, if they run ads essentially saying that you get the same exact service for $120 a year less, forever and ever (and thats a mighty long time), that will get people's attention that normally would not care.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#89 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:00 AM

I've never paid D* directly, they don't have my credit card on file and I prefer not to be on autopay with them (since my dad got charged on his autopay for not returning a defective receiver, which he had returned and was able to prove it).

My D* service is bundled with my phone/cellphone/internet service (I make my D* payment to the phone company along with all the rest) and I'm fairly sure that if I split my D* service from my current billing method I'd probably lose $25 a month in "bundle discounts".....

<shrug>

#90 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

I don't have any additional details to add here other than to say I don't think we've seen the whole story to this point (based on some intel I've received). The end game may be better than what is being presented thus far. I'd hope that there is a way for existing customers to jump in as well, but I don't know if that will be the case or not.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#91 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

I truly do not understand all the angst over this issue. Competition is a wonderful thing. How much hammering over this issue by Dish do you think DirecTV can take before having to respond in kind? Eventually both will be doing it while finding other neat ways to recoup the revenue. But at least everyone will be happy because their HD is "free".:lol:

Okay, here's the math. Assuming D* continues to charge $10 or even more over time for HD every month... We'll leave it at $10. I'm 40 and hope to live until I'm at least 80. So thats 40 x 12 x $10 = $4800 more for programing I'll be paying then the new sub next door that I probably talked into becoming a D* customer in the first place.

They both out to just up everyone a buck or two and stop cahrging us extra for HD period. Like the one guy said, I'll bet these clowns woudl have charged extra for color TV back in the day. How a new broadcast standard became a premium product I'll never know. :nono2:

#92 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:38 AM

I get 100 bones if I get my neighbor to sign up! Yippie! :rolleyes:

#93 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

I don't have any additional details to add here other than to say I don't think we've seen the whole story to this point (based on some intel I've received). The end game may be better than what is being presented thus far. I'd hope that there is a way for existing customers to jump in as well, but I don't know if that will be the case or not.

Free HD for life for Premier subs would be fair.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#94 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

I get 100 bones if I get my neighbor to sign up! Yippie! :rolleyes:

I am currently enjoying $20 per month saving for 10 months due to the refer a friend program.:)

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#95 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

Free HD for life for Premier subs would be fair.

All the extras... MRV, HD, DVR, HD Xtra Pack should be included for Premier customers. There would be more of us....

#96 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,177 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

All the extras... MRV, HD, DVR, HD Xtra Pack should be included for Premier customers. There would be more of us....

That works for me!

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#97 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:51 AM

How a new broadcast standard became a premium product I'll never know. :nono2:

I have to agree here. Complete and utter nonsense. What's next...$3.00 for 3D TV??

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

#98 OFFLINE   KsBillsFan

KsBillsFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

It just gets me that they don't do anything for their current subs. From the first day I signed up for DTV, I wanted a HD/DVR and a HD receiver. They would only give me one for free, and make me pay full price for the 2nd. They gave me the line that the boxes are expensive and there is no way they could ever give out two advance receivers for free. And guess what, there current special is two advance receivers for free.

And now they are going to do Free HD for Life for new subs? But current subs get nothing. I know you have to do specials to get people to jump ship and come to you, but you can not forget about those who have been supporting you for 1, 10 or 20 plus years already. These big companies need to wake up.

#99 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:27 AM

I like things that include the word 'lifetime'.

The 'lifetime' DVR subscription I bought in 2001 worked out splendidly.

I'm going to stay tuned... DirecTV usually takes care of its loyal customers. I have no concerns there.

#100 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

I think that once the number of HD subs reaches a tipping point then we will see a whole whole new rate structure. This structure wouldn't even list anything extra for HD as it would be built into all levels of subscriptions. Thus they can say that you have "free" HD.

What DirecTV should do now is to get rid of the HD Xtra pack. If you pay for HD access then ALL HD should be included.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

spam firewall