Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#1041 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

Also, when I asked if they had any other promotions, she kindly offered the five extra channels (HDNet, MGM, etc) at no cost for three months.

7 channels.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1042 OFFLINE   kmax

kmax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:47 PM

E-mailed them. Got 24 months free. Pretty darn easy....:):):)

Attempting that route. Will post how it goes.

#1043 OFFLINE   Richard Chalk

Richard Chalk

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

Millions and millions just switched to DTV converter box from analog...I think I'll be dead before SD is gone.

The current crop of HD receivers can output 480, so there is no need to actually transmit both formats over the system. Smarter receivers could include custom cropping for 4:3 display. Why do you think the networks moved their logo "bugs" closer to the center of the screen?

#1044 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

Don't people understand what the following says?........

Read the bold highlighted print..... :hurah:

"First, make sure you have a High-Def TV. You'll also need HD service. DIRECTV HD service is now FREE for as long as you're a DIRECTV customer. To add HD service, just check the "HD service" box when selecting your TV package. If you're already a DIRECTV customer and do not currently get HD channels, sign in to My Account. On your Account Overview page, click the My Services tab to learn how to add HD service to your TV package."

#1045 OFFLINE   secondclaw

secondclaw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:29 PM

Let me ask again - in case the post got buried in all the excitement ... has anyone on MDU service (with Choice Extra equivalent base plan) managed to get free HD service? I tried and was denied ...

Thanks!

#1046 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 June 2010 - 07:53 PM

Don't people understand what the following says?........

Read the bold highlighted print..... :hurah:

So, what is going to happen with the Choice HD+DVR plan?
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#1047 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:05 PM

So, what is going to happen with the Choice HD+DVR plan?

Call them up and ask........:)

#1048 OFFLINE   dparisoe

dparisoe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

I called and got the free HD credit added to the next 24 months. Thanks for all the posts.
David
------------------
HR21-700 - Sony KDL-52XBR9
R22-100(With HD) - Olevia 37"

#1049 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

I called and got the free HD credit added to the next 24 months. Thanks for all the posts.

Congrats on your 24 month HD access i got mine for the lifetime..:P

#1050 OFFLINE   dellis23

dellis23

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

Attempting that route. Will post how it goes.

I tried that method and was informed to call in to see if I qualified. Took less than 10 minutes to get it taken care of and that was Tuesday night after the "mass outage."

#1051 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

Congrats on your 24 month HD access i got mine for the lifetime..:P

Blaze, speaking for myself, I got your point earlier.

How much crap do you want people to go through? We have a whole thread of CSRs not knowing what's going on regarding this promo. Others write about how easy it was to get 24 months free. And you want people to now call in and say, hey, the website says lifetime. Where's my Lifetime Free HD?

(BTW, how was your experience about getting this, Blaze? You could do everyone a big favor by posting here the promo code you'll see on your account on DirecTV's website for this. It would make it a whole bunch easier for others to get Lifetime Free HD with that promo code.)

Now, if somebody wants to call DirecTV and ask for Lifetime Free HD, please do. I'll be very interested in reading your post on the experience. But for me, 24 months is the same as lifetime. I agree with the conventional wisdom here that within the next two years, the HD Access fee will go away. And if I could get 24 months free through 5 minutes on the phone, I'd be a happy camper. It seems that after a week of customers asking for 24 months free, maybe the CSRs actually know about this promo by now. Glory, be! :engel07:

One thing that has been very apparent is how the HD Access fee payment has rapidly changed over the last week. In response to Dish's promotion, we've gone from $10 A Month to Lifetime Free for New Customers to 24 Months Free With Auto-Pay to 12 Months Free Without Auto-Pay to now what looks like Lifetime Free For Anybody (do we know about Auto-Pay with this option?). Somehow I'm sure the story will have evolved further in another week. If the scuttlebutt can be believed, DirecTV planned to drop the HD Access fee at the end of the year anyway, and with Dish's promotion, they moved things up. DirecTV has confused their current message as much as they can, but the path is clear. We're moving to free HD.

For me, Blaze, it isn't worth confusing the crap out of a CSR over this promo. Pick your saying: Life is short / Time is money / 24 months is a lifetime.

Edited by Carl Spock, 10 June 2010 - 09:22 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#1052 OFFLINE   Blaze

Blaze

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:03 PM

Blaze, speaking for myself, I got your point earlier.

How much crap do you want people to go through? We have a whole thread of CSRs not knowing what's going on regarding this promo. Others write about how easy it was to get 24 months free. And you want people to now call in and say, hey, the website says lifetime. Where's my Lifetime Free HD?

(BTW, how was your experience about getting this, Blaze? You could do everyone a big favor by posting here the promo code.

Carl someone posted this on page 38 the minute they posted it, i called customer retention and they said i can get it no questions asked, i did ask CR is this "lifetime" she stated yup.

But the funny thing is that if you sign into your account, select change packages, go down to where it says "Free HD Channels" and click on "How do I get HD channels" it pops up with

"First, make sure you have a High-Def TV. You'll also need HD service. DIRECTV HD service is now FREE for as long as you're a DIRECTV customer. To add HD service, just check the "HD service" box when selecting your TV package. If you're already a DIRECTV customer and do not currently get HD channels, sign in to My Account. On your Account Overview page, click the My Services tab to learn how to add HD service to your TV package."

#1053 OFFLINE   pdawg17

pdawg17

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:41 PM

Carl someone posted this on page 38 the minute they posted it, i called customer retention and they said i can get it no questions asked, i did ask CR is this "lifetime" she stated yup.

Ok so then what is the code that shows up on your account?
Panny 9UK
HR22-100 (Component)
Pio VSX-1018

Panny TC-P42X1
HR20-700 (HDMI)

Hackintosh box: Intel i5 2500k, 8gb ram, Radeon 5770, ML 10.8.2

HTPC: Intel Quad Core Q9550, 4gb ram, Nvidia 660Ti 2GB using HDMI to above Panny 9UK, Windows 8 x64

All hard-wired to D-link DIR-655 router

#1054 OFFLINE   kryscio23

kryscio23

Godfather

• Registered
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:53 PM

I called Thursday at 2:50 p.m. EST to the basic line and talked to a CSR. I explained to them that I was already on Autopay and have the Total Choice Plus (grandfathered). He said I was eligible for the HD Access 24-month credit and that he was transferring my call to the "Promotions" department.

I was on hold for 62 minutes waiting for someone to pick up in the "Promotions" department before I gave up and hung up.

I tried back again around 7:40 p.m. and when I dialed in, I asked the automated system for "Promotions" and it took me right there where I spoke to a CSR. After telling them what happened earlier, she also said I was eligible and needed to forward me again to a higher rep.

After being on hold for 7 more minutes, I was getting the feeling everyone was out to dinner, just like they were out to lunch earlier, but finally another rep picked up.

This rep told me that due to my anniversary gift from DTV, a $7 off DVR coupon for 6 months (my sign up date is late Feb.), that she couldn't apply the 24-month HD Access coupon immediately. She had to e-mail another CSR to get approval and said it would take three business days to apply to my account. She said to sign in on Monday and look for the credit then.

The curiosity got to me late tonight to see if any changes had taken effect on my account so I logged in and I didn't see an HD Access fee credit, but oddly I saw an MLB Extra Innings credit, $10/6 mo. with the 6/10/10 date on it. I don't know how that got there and we didn't speak of it during any conversation earlier, that night but it's nice to have. Perhaps it was applied because one of the CSR's felt bad that I was on hold for over an hour earlier in the day and didn't have a resolution. Who knows.

This still leaves me to wonder if the HD Access fee will get applied. If not, I'll call back on Monday.

Just sharing with you boys!

#1055 OFFLINE   knoxbh

knoxbh

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

I called yesterday and asked for the Promotion Dept. Got right thru - no problem. Was first asked who referred me to them (not once but 3 times) and I said from the Internet. CSR gone for a couple of minutes and then asked if I wanted the 6 months or 12 months credit - I said i wanted the 24 month credit - I had auto-pay, everything except the movie packages, and had been with them since 1996! Ops, another 3-4 minutes on hold and she finally came back and confirmed the 24-month credit. Also wanted me to take either HBO or Showtime for 3 months with $5 off the price. Said no thanks but she kept pressing. Finally, I said I was 85 years old and already seen all the movies I ever wanted and no thanks. End of story.
Finally made 86 - looking forward to 87!!

#1056 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:50 AM

Finally, I said I was 85 years old and already seen all the movies I ever wanted and no thanks. End of story.

May I use this in the future? ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#1057 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

I tried the e-mail route. D* replied confirming the offer, but told me to call to check my eligibility. I called and the CSR had me setup with the credit within about 5 minutes.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#1058 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:00 AM

...so is anyone getting FREE HD WITHOUT auto-pay?:confused:

#1059 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,909 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

...so is anyone getting FREE HD WITHOUT auto-pay?:confused:

Some people think they are, but the first time D* audits their account, they will most likely lose it (if they ever had it).

I was told in no uncertain terms that if at anytime in the future, I stopped auto-pay, the $10.00 per month credit would stop with it. I was also told that if I suspended my services, the clock would still run on the 24 months. That is, if one suspends the account for 3 months during the summer, one would still have lost 3 months of the 24 months of free HD access.

I find this more believable than "I got it without auto-pay", but stranger things have happened.:)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#1060 OFFLINE   Jim Manis

Jim Manis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

I called yesterday and it took about 10 minutes to get me set up for autopay and the credit for 24 months. I was also told if I cancel auotpay, the credit will go away.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...