Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#1081 OFFLINE   bossfan50

bossfan50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

Well I was not on auto-pay before the free HD promotion so my very first D* auto-pay has just been processed. There has been some discussion here about when you are charged. I am using a credit and my card was charged immediately on the same date that my bill was generated. So another words with a credit card it looks like there is no delay between when the bill is generated and when the credit card is charged. My bill is always the same each month and I do not order pay per view, MLB EI, ST, or any other additional services so there should not be any billing errors in my case.

My bill is generated on the 9th of the month and the due used to be the 28th of the month. Now my card was charged on the 9th. Since there has been some discussion about when you are actually charged I thought that this would be a helpful post.

Edited by bossfan50, 11 June 2010 - 10:48 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1082 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:40 AM

Called Thursday at about 6:00 P.M. Pacific. Was on hold for about a minute, then said to CSR Vivian, "I hear you have a deal where existing customers can get free HD for 24 months, and I was calling to see if I was eligible."

Three minutes of soothing hold music later, she came back on the line with, "All right, sir, I've set that up for you." Didn't say anything about keeping autopay (although I've had it the entire time I've been a customer -- don't know if the CSRs can see that history).

Logged into my account on Directv.com less than 30 seconds after getting off the phone, and my balance was already showing up as "(10.00)."
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#1083 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:41 AM

LOL.

My rep tried to push some NFL deal on me. I told her I was English (I am) and didn't give a crap about the NFL. She basically had to pause for 20 seconds as she was laughing so hard, told me she was Jamaican and could not agree more with me.

Did she then switch to CricketTicket? ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#1084 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

I don't get it. It's a contractual thing. They offer a $10.00/month discount (consideration), and you provide auto-pay. Seems fair to me.

Basically, you want something for nothing...and that's not much of a contractual relationship.:), but we can always hope. I just don't see it as something to get my knickers in a knot about. After all, they are trying to give me money (and they succeeded). The requirements on me were minimal (especially considering I've been on auto-pay for many years).

It looks like a win-win to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

I don't get it at all either.

There's an offer on the table that requires us to have autopay in effect. If someone can actually get that requirement waived permenantly, that's great. That's the offer they have (I have my doubts). In the final analysis, you can only deal with the offer that YOU have. Either it's worth it you or it isn't.

IMHO, autopay is not an issue whatsoever but for some reason(s) -- none of which really matter or make sense to me -- it seems to be an issue for some people. Again, it comes down to being worth it to you or it isn't.

My System Diagram: Here System Pix: Here

#1085 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hmmm....

Attached Thumbnails

• 061110 DirecTV Billing Section.jpg

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1086 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,214 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:23 AM

Some people think they are, but the first time D* audits their account, they will most likely lose it (if they ever had it).

I was told in no uncertain terms that if at anytime in the future, I stopped auto-pay, the $10.00 per month credit would stop with it. I was also told that if I suspended my services, the clock would still run on the 24 months. That is, if one suspends the account for 3 months during the summer, one would still have lost 3 months of the 24 months of free HD access.

I find this more believable than "I got it without auto-pay", but stranger things have happened.:)

I got 24 months free HD without auto-pay being even mentioned. My DirecTV is billed through Verizon, so maybe DirecTV thinks that's auto-pay. But I don't have automatic payments with Verizon. I did at one time, but there was a screw-up with my DirecTV billing and it took three months to straighten it out between the two companies.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#1087 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,626 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

I got 24 months free HD without auto-pay being even mentioned. My DirecTV is billed through Verizon, so maybe DirecTV thinks that's auto-pay. But I don't have automatic payments with Verizon.

If you replace the word Verizon in your post with AT&T, and look at post 1085...we appear to be brethren. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#1088 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

Carl someone posted this on page 38 the minute they posted it, i called customer retention and they said i can get it no questions asked, i did ask CR is this "lifetime" she stated yup.

Ok so then what is the code that shows up on your account?

I'd like to see a capture of that too.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#1089 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

Evidently not many people agree with the reasons some of us don't like autopay, so I'll just say I don't like it. Is that allowed?

So, we HD customers who don't want to do autopay now pay the equivalent of a $10/mo. billing fee, called an HD Access Fee.

I can live with that, I think. Or maybe I'll rethink my position on autopay...

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#1090 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

Evidently not many people agree with the reasons some of us don't like autopay, so I'll just say I don't like it. Is that allowed?

So, we HD customers who don't want to do autopay now pay the equivalent of a $10/mo. billing fee, called an HD Access Fee.

Some have received the promotion without auto-pay. So, there is that possibility too.
DTV = Digital Television

#1091 OFFLINE   mnMark

mnMark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

I just talked with 'Walter' who was able to add this to my account with no questions - he did make a statement twice, which was:

You need to understand that once this promotion is applied to your account, you will no longer be eligible for any type of monetary compensation promotions from DirecTV. Do you still want to apply this promotion?

The other usual disclaimers came too, but that one struck me as odd. Anyone else get that on their request?
DECA Networked:
HR22-100 - Living Room
HR21-100 - Master Bedroom
Nomad!

#1092 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 606 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

I just talked with 'Walter' who was able to add this to my account with no questions - he did make a statement twice, which was:

The other usual disclaimers came too, but that one struck me as odd. Anyone else get that on their request?

Wow I didn't get that and that is VERY inconsistent with other reports here, considering some here on the same call to get $10/24 also got $20/6 in exchange for getting NFL ST.
My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#1093 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

Yes. You are welcomed to say you don't like it. :)

And if I may say, I do understand anyone's hesitations about it. I don't autopay via my checking accounts, only thru credit cards where I have some protection.

If a vendor won't take autopay via CC, I will have the bank send automatic payments thru billpay instead.

Linking this to topic, I have been autopay for a long time so getting this promotion was no problem.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#1094 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

The other usual disclaimers came too, but that one (no other promotions) struck me as odd. Anyone else get that on their request?

No. In fact after adding the HD credit to my account the CSR suggested I take 3 free months of Sho since I am already a Starz subscriber. This is done by a credit and is already showing on my account. ;)
When news breaks...we fix it.

#1095 OFFLINE   UMass03

UMass03

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

I must have picked a bad day to call for the existing sub credit. First call was almost 30 minutes before I got cut off. Second call is going on nearly 20 minutes! On Hold! WTF!
MY EQUIPMENT
HR23-700 HD DVR
HR24-100 HD
Samsung LNB40550
XBOX 360 Elite
Sony PS3

#1096 OFFLINE   mnMark

mnMark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:14 PM

Well crap. I don't feel that hosed, since I did get the deal. Hopefully he was just going off-script, and I'll be able to score some more stuff closer to NFL ST renewal time...

Update - the normal promo does show up - HD Access - 24mosFreeHDAcc - so I'm thinking his schtick wasn't all that true...

Edited by mnMark, 11 June 2010 - 12:16 PM.
Confirmed promo was on account

DECA Networked:
HR22-100 - Living Room
HR21-100 - Master Bedroom
Nomad!

#1097 OFFLINE   sr6376

sr6376

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

I didn't get anything in writing, however I specifically asked the CSR when I setup the 2yrs free HD, if this was locking me into a new 2 yr contract. I stated that I didn't want to be locked in as my current contract is just about up and I need to do some upgrades of some of my receivers. The CSR said that this will not affect any of that, my contract will not be extended and he was willing at that time to work on the upgrades for me as he said that I was eligible for equipment upgrade discounts.

I didn't want to do the upgrades right now but will probably take them up on it in a couple of months, but I would think that this "free HD" thing should not effect any of the monetary "discounts" going forward.

#1098 OFFLINE   Jschmuck2

Jschmuck2

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

I called in today after reading this thread - I'm a new sub as of April 1 and Ashley told me that to be eligible for this, I needed six months of account history.

I've been signed up for autopay since the beginning - it kinda sounded like she made the whole thing up and that doesn't jive with what I've read in this thread. Call back, ya think?

#1099 OFFLINE   UMass03

UMass03

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

I called in today after reading this thread - I'm a new sub as of April 1 and Ashley told me that to be eligible for this, I needed six months of account history.

I've been signed up for autopay since the beginning - it kinda sounded like she made the whole thing up and that doesn't jive with what I've read in this thread. Call back, ya think?

I'm being told this same thing as I type this. I've asked to speak to a supervisor.

UPDATE: The CSA I was working with thinks its because I have not been a Direct customer long enough. No supervisors are available, they mysteriously vanished. What a waste of time this whole process was.

Edited by UMass03, 11 June 2010 - 12:50 PM.
additional info

MY EQUIPMENT
HR23-700 HD DVR
HR24-100 HD
Samsung LNB40550
XBOX 360 Elite
Sony PS3

#1100 OFFLINE   HarryD

HarryD

Icon

• Registered
  • 597 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA

Posted 11 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

They must be overwhelmed with requests... maybe something changed... my CSR didn't say anything like that... my co-worker just called and they made him change his package (he had Choice Extra +HD/DVR)...
HarryD

spam firewall