Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

I'm going to stay tuned... DirecTV usually takes care of its loyal customers. I have no concerns there.

I suspect this to be true as well .. I wonder if the "What about me" calls that DIRECTV is going to receive will make it happen sooner.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#102 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 609 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

I suspect this to be true as well .. I wonder if the "What about me" calls that DIRECTV is going to receive will make it happen sooner.

Technically there is still time to alter the promo before tomorrow to include how DISH is doing the promo with existing customers:

Existing customers subscribing to the “HD & Platinum” package prior to June 3, 2010, will be automatically grandfathered into “HD Free for Life” without being required to enter into a 24-month “HD Free for Life” commitment OR pay the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee.

My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#103 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

What DirecTV should do now is to get rid of the HD Xtra pack. If you pay for HD access then ALL HD should be included.

That would be a good step in the right direction ... basically what DISH did last August for new customers (and smart existing customers who figured out they could be "new" by dropping HD for a minute then adding it again).

"More HD for $10 than the other guys give you for free?"

#104 OFFLINE   cmoss5

cmoss5

1960'S NOSTALGIA

• DBSTalk Club
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

Yup, us old timers get screwed again. :(

If you get the right CSR, you won't have to jump all hoops as I am an existing customer with about 9 years and got it free without having to sign up for the paperless payment...did upgrade to choice extra (no big deal..about 1.49 more per month and
also got 12 months of SHOWTIME (11.00 extra) for free...is now shown on my next billing as my bill went down $20 per month for next 12 months as a result.
HAD DIRECTV SINCE 1998
4 HD DVRS 1 (HOOKED UP TO 3 TVS)
1 50" PANASONIC PLASMA SCREEN
1 70" SHARP QUATRON SCREEN
1 42" PANASONIC PLASMA SCREEN
1 32" SHARP LCD
1 15" SHARP LCD
1 15" VIZIO LCD

#105 OFFLINE   speedcouch

speedcouch

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Well, I usually just go with the flow on these things but as a 15+ year customer I have to admit I am a little taken back about this. Us early adapters made Directv what it is today. From paying $700 for my first receiver and dish that I self installed to being first with HD and paying $650 for an HD (non DVR) receiver that got 4 HD channels and of course missing out on all the free programming offers that accompany new subs today.

And what do we get, GAME LOUNGE FREE FOR 3 MONTHS. Come-on Directv, show us some love.:nono2:

Almost forgot. $999 for an HD Tivo now a door stop.

What he said! I paid all the same things for equipment back to 1995 as well and would sure like some damn consideration for sticking with them all this time too. I have the premiere service and always have - it would be nice to get $10 off my bill every month for "loyalty" rather than some stupid PPV credits (which I never use b/c I already have every movie channel).

Cheryl
Samsung HL-T5089S
Samsung LN32A550
Two HR20-100s
HR10-250
Panasonic DMR-E30S DVD Recorder
DirecTV since Aug 1995
Kenwood Home Theater VR-7060
Four JBL S310 II Speakers
JBL S Center II
XM Radio since May 2004

#106 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:44 AM

This shouldn't have to be on a case by case basis depending on getting the "right" CSR!

Depending on the outcome from DirecTV, maybe an email deluge to DirecTV would be in order?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#107 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:49 AM

You know the best thing DirecTV can do? Send all good DirecTV HD subs a letter informing them starting XX you will no longer pay the $10 extra to receive the standard HD channels, for the lifttime of your subscription, followed by a bunch of this is our way to say thank you for being a loyal customer, we are the best of the best blah blah.

Nothing makes people happier than receiving lifetime saving without having to do anything:) DirecTV can then start a new side by side commercial, look Dish forces you to do credit card, auto pay..., we don't.

#108 OFFLINE   sda3

sda3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

+1! 15 years for me too! Exactly the same for me! What did I get for an anniversary gift, a free PPV that I'll never use! I feel slighted here! :nono2:

Woo Hoo! I got the same anniversary gift....I doubt I will ever use it.

#109 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,745 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

My issue is that I want to upgrade some receivers over the next couple of months due to MRV/HD-LIL. I do not want anything less than an HR24.

Though I'm still in a commitment, I feel I have better leverage now than I would if I restarted another 24 month commitment... :(

I'm not crazy about Billpay, but for the savings, I'd probably do that... :(

~Alan

#110 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:15 PM

You know the best thing DirecTV can do? Send all good DirecTV HD subs a letter informing them starting XX you will no longer pay the $10 extra to receive the standard HD channels, for the lifttime of your subscription, followed by a bunch of this is our way to say thank you for being a loyal customer, we are the best of the best blah blah.

Nothing makes people happier than receiving lifetime saving without having to do anything:) DirecTV can then start a new side by side commercial, look Dish forces you to do credit card, auto pay..., we don't.

It would be a big change for Direct then, as they are currently asking for autopay as well, they are just sending you a paper bill, were Dish is asking for both Paperless and Autopay. Granted Direct's current deal/idea, doesn't offer subs that don't want autopay or a commitment, anyway to get HD for life period. With Dish, if you don't want to commit and don't want Autopay(this is were most people of the problem), a one time $99, equals HD for life.
A paperbill for me is the most useless thing in the world, I prefer paperless from just about everybody, easier to file the PDF files away. Come to think of it, I don't have a single paper bill

Edited by GrumpyBear, 04 June 2010 - 12:47 PM.

#111 OFFLINE   Maverickster

Maverickster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

They (now) have a dam slick DVR that we love (here).

What DVR is that? The reason I ask is because I'm a fairly long-time DirecTV sub and have been out of contract for a little over a year. At this point, I'm hoping to be able to cajole retention into (a) giving me this free HD deal, and (B) replacing my (somewhat flaky lately) HR20 with a new model.

Putting aside the [un]likelihood of success, I am wondering...what's the best available current-model HD-DVR DirecTV has and is there a "first look" or spec sheet or anything on it? (It's been ages since I've kept up with this).

Thanks!

--Mav

#112 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

What DVR is that? The reason I ask is because I'm a fairly long-time DirecTV sub and have been out of contract for a little over a year. At this point, I'm hoping to be able to cajole retention into (a) giving me this free HD deal, and (B) replacing my (somewhat flaky lately) HR20 with a new model.

Putting aside the [un]likelihood of success, I am wondering...what's the best available current-model HD-DVR DirecTV has and is there a "first look" or spec sheet or anything on it? (It's been ages since I've kept up with this).

Thanks!

--Mav

HR24-500: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177188
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#113 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,614 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

cmoss5 says he got free HD

Free hd from directv
You can now get the $10 fee for HD waived now...couple of restrictions
..must stay in contract for next 2 years...must have or upgrade to the choice extra.....I got this free plus SHOWTIME for next 12 months for no charge

So how do the rest of us get it? I have the GF'ed total choice plus.

#114 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

Alex Trebek cancelled out on our weekly golf game. I suspect this was the reason. :grin:

Watch Trebek, I have played golf with him and he cheats. DirecTv better come through with a deal for existing customers on this.

Edited by geaux tigers, 04 June 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#115 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

I read these kind of deals and the first thing that comes to my mind is "How long is lifetime?". Most of these offers contain some language like "maintain the same package", etc. If you add/drop movie channels, is that a change that will trigger the drop of the "lifetime" offer? If you upgrade your programming package - boom - lifetime over?

I'm almost willing to bet that these "lifetime" offers will be dropped much more frequently than people think based on changes they make to their account. Then the stuff will hit the fan!

For the existing customers that seem to feel cheated right now - how long would you be keeping your current programming package without making ANY changes to keep the lifetime HD? And if you have a grandfathered package (as I do), I'd think they'd probably require that you move to a current programming package to take advantage.

#116 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

Watch Trebek, I have played golf with him and he cheats. DirecTv better come through with a deal for existing customers on this.

Does he also things like .. "Ohhhhh, everyone knows that you shouldn't use a wedge for that shot!"
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#117 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

Does he also things like .. "Ohhhhh, everyone knows that you shouldn't use a wedge for that shot!"

Doug, apparently you have played golf with him as well. He is very condescending. However, his knowledge of trivia is not that great when he is not miked up with the studio.

#118 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 477 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:54 PM

I read these kind of deals and the first thing that comes to my mind is "How long is lifetime?". Most of these offers contain some language like "maintain the same package", etc. If you add/drop movie channels, is that a change that will trigger the drop of the "lifetime" offer? If you upgrade your programming package - boom - lifetime over?

I'm almost willing to bet that these "lifetime" offers will be dropped much more frequently than people think based on changes they make to their account. Then the stuff will hit the fan!

For the existing customers that seem to feel cheated right now - how long would you be keeping your current programming package without making ANY changes to keep the lifetime HD? And if you have a grandfathered package (as I do), I'd think they'd probably require that you move to a current programming package to take advantage.

Autopay is a big deal with Dish. They were offering free Cinemax for a year
as long as you kept it going and did not have a bill due and the CC payment never failed you could keep the free CineMax package. Downgrade of programming never stopped the free Max. package. What stopped it was when I forgot to update my CC information when my card expired and they took me off. Fortunately I just called them and they extended the Max service for another year. They actually were easy to work with, I was with them for 12 years but service lacked in FSN and local HD coverage. That's why I left.

#119 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:09 PM

I am just not seeing that kind of language in either Directs or Dish's HD for life plans. Biggest requirement programing wise is the Choice level for Direct and AT120 for Dish, during the 2 yrs, I don't see many dropping below that, anyways.

Biggest issues are, both Direct and Dish want Autopay and a 2yr commitment, Dish wants to add paperless too, but not that big of a deal, if you are already doing autopay. Dish is offering a one time fee, for those that don't want autopay or a 2yr commitment.
I don't think anybody here or most users who step up are going to have an issue, with either Direct or Dish and HD for life. Biggest issue is if you don't act fast enough and then change your mind.

#120 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

cmoss5 says he got free HD

So how do the rest of us get it? I have the GF'ed total choice plus.

Two words maybe, upgrade and commitment. Autopay should not be an issue for most of us.

I am not under contract, but if I can save $10 a month from now on, I might as well upgrade one of my HDDVRs to an HR24, get the $10 off at the same time with a new 24-month contract.

I have been paying attention to the Dish side, but DirecTV has added several important new features lately, plus the new HD channels, the only thing I need is a fast HDDVR to shut her up:)

spam firewall