Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#1241 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

I have not yet called in for HD discount. I figured I would combine bill with AT+T first to take advantage of both discounts later. Was informed by AT+T combined billing would trigger a new 12 month contract with D.:eek2: I didn't get that memo.:nono2: Anyone else encounter this? Does combined bill interfere with free HD promo? Also, how is D informed that you have autopay with AT+T?

I do not have a combined bill, I called to get the AT&T discount around a year ago. There is no more combined billing, just the discount. The AT&T discount does not extend the contract. Well it should not, it seems like you get a different answer each time you call DTV about nearly everything. On my DTV bill there is a line for the AT&T discount. The HD discount should not interfere with the AT&T discount, but we'll see what happens in the next few billing cycles.
Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1242 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:31 PM

The CSR that I talked to says that a previous CSR I talked to had to escalate it to a higher up so they could sign off on it. They said I qualified, so whats with this escalation to a higher up that they have to email to be able to add the credit for the free HD for 24 months. Anyone else get this run around?

Yes, at least it's similar to what I just went through to get it. A little history...when I first read about this promotion 2 or 3 days ago I called and was turned down flat because the CSR could not find anything about it on her computer but said she could offer me a one time $5.00 credit. I declined.

After getting a Jack Daniel's or two under my belt I called an hour ago and was told right away I was "eligible"(7 year customer and buy every freaking thing they sell, most expensive packages, etc.). So, I had to wait about 10 minutes while this gal typed furiously and kept apologizing for the time it took. Then she said I needed to talk to someone else up the ladder for, "just a few seconds". I swear to God Almighty I waited 15 minutes before someone came on the line and she asked, "how can I help you?". I went through the whole freaking thing again...again the furious 10 minutes of typing, and she had no clue why I had to wait for her....but it took her forever to verify that I had already been signed up through the previous gal.

Dear God please help DirecTV straighten themselves out!

VR

#1243 OFFLINE   mikeren1

mikeren1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts
  • LocationJax, Fl

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Called today..Had to get auto-pay..Took 13 minutes..Thx DBS !!

#1244 OFFLINE   nettodtv

nettodtv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

Made probably my tenth call for free HD for 24 months. The supervisor I talked to this morning pissed me right off. She came on the phone bitchy and that just set me off and almost to retentions. I was nothing but polite and patiently waiting for the supervisor and was treated like a piece of garbage. Two phone calls and I get the 20 off for 6 months on ST. This free HD deal is like pulling teeth with them. My fingers are crossed this guy seems like he is going to be able to help me.;)

#1245 OFFLINE   nettodtv

nettodtv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:24 PM

Son of a Gun once again I was turned down. What is the deal here?

#1246 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Son of a Gun once again I was turned down. What is the deal here?

Do you have choice extra, and auto pay set up?
Back on the 9th Directv twitter page:

" For a limited time, DIRECTV is offering free HD to existing customers!
Call us at (800) 531-5000 to see if you qualify. "

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#1247 OFFLINE   whieb

whieb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:35 PM

nettodtv do you currently have free hd or dvr service on your account?

#1248 OFFLINE   MacUserG

MacUserG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

I've never seen this offer before. If this exists, it could be a wonderful loophole in the system. Trade in your old DVR for a HR24 for only $99. I'd do that. I expect others here would, too.

MacUserG, can you please stay on top of this for us? If you do get your HR24, can you post that here? Especially, could you look on your online account and give us the promo code that will show up next to the $99 charge? That info could be golden.

Thanks. It's this kind of communication that makes this forum so invaluable.

Will do. I'm scheduled for installation this Saturday. (keeping fingers crossed)

#1249 OFFLINE   hbeard

hbeard

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

Confused...

Currently have Total Choice (listed as $57.49) plus $10 HD fee (and DVR fee)

Under Total Choice list on current website it says 'Free HD Channels' but lists fewer HD channels than I am currently getting.

I'm getting what appears to be the list under Choice Xtra (includes NatGeo) "40+" HD channels.

If I call CSR and ask for free HD with current package...would that pop me back to the "35+" list that's under Choice?

Or am I better off switching to Choice Xtra for $63.99, which APPEARS to be more total channels for a few less $ than I'm currently paying.

All these different packages, specials, drive me nuts (no to mention upcoming MRV).

#1250 OFFLINE   nettodtv

nettodtv

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:03 PM

nettodtv do you currently have free hd or dvr service on your account?

I have choice ultimate with hd and dvr access but I pay for both hd and dvr service.

#1251 OFFLINE   utvnut

utvnut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

Auto pay is NOT required. Been with DTV since the beginning and went off auto pay years ago after a billing screw-up.

Got the free HD along with a couple other discounts, but no autopay.

(I don't post much here, been on Tivo, AVS and ultimate TV forums over the years, this is a really good site for DTV info now, thanks to all.)

#1252 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:07 PM

Confused...

Currently have Total Choice (listed as $57.49) plus $10 HD fee (and DVR fee)

Under Total Choice list on current website it says 'Free HD Channels' but lists fewer HD channels than I am currently getting.

I'm getting what appears to be the list under Choice Xtra (includes NatGeo) "40+" HD channels.

If I call CSR and ask for free HD with current package...would that pop me back to the "35+" list that's under Choice?

Or am I better off switching to Choice Xtra for $63.99, which APPEARS to be more total channels for a few less $ than I'm currently paying.

All these different packages, specials, drive me nuts (no to mention upcoming MRV).

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

You can keep your package just as it is. As long as you are using AutoPay, you should be able to receive the credit. It just becomes an additional line item on your bill.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#1253 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Auto pay is NOT required. Been with DTV since the beginning and went off auto pay years ago after a billing screw-up.

Got the free HD along with a couple other discounts, but no autopay.

Next time tell them to throw in a dozen donuts. With the way the deal keeps evolving, I think that's now a reasonable request.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#1254 OFFLINE   GregAmy

GregAmy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:25 PM

Called, requested, received $10/mo credit for 24 months.

10 minutes. Max.

(Already had an HD package, and already had credit card billing. Took her longer to type in all the info than it took for her to say "OK, no problem"...)

#1255 OFFLINE   utvnut

utvnut

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

Maybe a good idea when calling back for a Sunday Ticket deal except they don't go with football!

#1256 OFFLINE   stflush

stflush

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:59 PM

Just called, took two minutes max for 24 months free HD, no questions asked. 10 year sub and already had credit card auto pay set up.

#1257 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

I guess that all of us who got the credit without autopay will have to keep a close eye on next month's bill and see what happens.

#1258 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:31 PM

I guess that all of us who got the credit without autopay will have to keep a close eye on next month's bill and see what happens.

A good idea. Hopefully a bill will be produced before the deadline to sign up for the offer - just in case you need to sign up again next month.

#1259 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:01 AM

I wrote an email to Customer Service inquiring about the draft dates for Autopay with credit card vs with debit card or electronic funds transfer. I got back this response:

- Recurring Electronic Funds Transfers. Signing up is easy. Simply fill out the form on the back of your DIRECTV bill or sign up at DIRECTV.com and follow the instructions listed. You can choose the transmission days from 15 - 25 days. The default transmission days is 15 days after your bill is generated. If you will set the transmission days to 15, your payment will be applied approximately every 20th of the month since we generate your bill every 5th.

- Recurring Debit Card. To sign up, simply fill out the form on the back of your bill or at directv.com. You can also enroll by calling 1-800-531-5000. The payment would be deducted 15 days after your bill is generated each month. Unlike Recurring Electronic Funds Transfers, there is no transmission days and the payment date cannot be changed.

Credit card occurs when the bill is generated which for me is the 5th of every month. Don't see why that has to be different but it is...

#1260 OFFLINE   irish316

irish316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationBrownsburg, IN

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:17 AM

I do not have a combined bill, I called to get the AT&T discount around a year ago. There is no more combined billing, just the discount. The AT&T discount does not extend the contract. Well it should not, it seems like you get a different answer each time you call DTV about nearly everything. On my DTV bill there is a line for the AT&T discount. The HD discount should not interfere with the AT&T discount, but we'll see what happens in the next few billing cycles.

I signed up for combined billing with AT&T and just got a letter in the mail yesterday confirming it. It does clearly state that your contract is extended 12 months IF you have less than 12 months remaining on your contract.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...