Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#1951 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,974 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:12 AM

Then you're doing something wrong. HD is the biggest leap in home video technology I've ever experienced. Sports, movies, documentaries, travel, and nature shows all benefit from being shot and broadcast in HD. And given the drop in flat panel prices, it's hard not to justify at least upgrading your primary set to HD.

I kinda agree with TBoneit. Yes, HD is a much better picture but if I'm enjoying a movie, that enjoyment isn't going to be reduced because it's in SD.

HD or SD, if I like something the format doesn't interfere with my enjoyment.

Do I prefer HD? Yes. Is it necessary for the entertainment of the movie/show? No. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1952 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 588 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

Wonder where D gets the $10 figure from for HD? That would seem to be a boatload of $'s per month. I would assume that Dish makes up the $10 some way (fewer HD channels and/or more equip. rental, etc.). Don't know for sure, just wondering...
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#1953 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,917 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

To expand on TBoneit's statement, those people that have SD don't necessarily miss HD if they never had it. Plus, SD doesn't really look that bad on something like a 27" TV.

#1954 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

You are missing my point or I'm not getting it across. A show or movie that is enjoyable in HD will still be enjoyable in SD. A show that is not interesting won't suddenly become interesting in HD.

If it is only the visual aspect of it, why are we watching it in the home and not only in the theatre on the big screen?

I enjoy the show just as much whether I record it in SD (720 by 480) on my DVD recorder from the HD channel or directly in HD on my HD DVR. I have the settings in my DVD recorder set for 30 second fwd skip and 5 second reverse skip. That would be whether I'm playing from the Hard Disk or a DVD disk.On my Locals they both fill the screen at 16:9 AR.

I watch for the Content.

I enjoyed TV on the 10" B&W RCA, I Enjoyed it more when the jump to color happened. That was the last big jump in TV technology. That 10" B&W wasn't even 10" it was a round picture tube that had the top and bottom masked off. The corners were rounded. It was still great.

I kinda agree with TBoneit. Yes, HD is a much better picture but if I'm enjoying a movie, that enjoyment isn't going to be reduced because it's in SD.

HD or SD, if I like something the format doesn't interfere with my enjoyment.

Do I prefer HD? Yes. Is it necessary for the entertainment of the movie/show? No. ;)

Mike

Looks like Mike got it!

I watch for the content, if I have a choice of SD or HD then I'll choose the HD, If not I'll watch the SD.

Edited by TBoneit, 27 May 2012 - 12:29 PM.

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#1955 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

To expand on TBoneit's statement, those people that have SD don't necessarily miss HD if they never had it. Plus, SD doesn't really look that bad on something like a 27" TV.

Exactly, Parents TV set is a 27" Sony hooked up to a HD DVR. I figured when the Old DVR had to be replaced, get the set location ready for HD.

3 years later still watching the Sony. I'll be able to replace it only when it dies.

The only way I was able get a LCD monitor for their computer was because the old Tube monitor died. It'll be the same for the TV. I keep offering to put a 40" or bigger there. What I hear is that this is fine, Save your money. So I keep money set aside for when it does die.

#1956 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

@mike and loudo...yeah that sounded different in my head before it came out hahaha...did NOT mean it to sound like it does, my apologies
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#1957 OFFLINE   marker101

marker101

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

With the arguing going on from the other side, it's obvious DirecTV is depending on getting that $10 per sub revenue back. But, hey...If you were under a contract for 2 years, the good news is that it is over and you can just cancel without fee should DirecTV choose not provide another discount.

Me? Well yes, the added $10 will in fact make/break me, so either a receiver gets chopped off and maybe a package downgrade. I have a monetary threshold for TV services.

The DirecTV website still defines Advanced Receiver Service-HD as:

This service is now included if you're a new DIRECTV customer*. No matter how many HD receivers you have in your DIRECTV system, there's no extra charge to receive HD channels.

And if you're an old customer, you can pay us. Oh well, I can be a "new" customer somewhere else.

Edited by marker101, 28 May 2012 - 05:29 AM.
less thrashing

#1958 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

As long as it is kept in it original format. When they stretch it, then it becomes unwatchable.

#1959 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 378 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

You are missing my point or I'm not getting it across. A show or movie that is enjoyable in HD will still be enjoyable in SD. A show that is not interesting won't suddenly become interesting in HD.

There are different points of view. I don't watch movies on network tv, HD or SD, because of commercials, not to mention that they usually butcher movies in order to please the censors.

I prefer uncut movies without commercials in HD, blueray or upscaled DVD's in widescreen, but once in a while I will watch one in 4 x 3. I enjoy not only the content, but the visual and audio parts of a movie. That's why I have an HD tv, a blueray player, and a surround audio system. I also prefer to watch tv shows in HD, but will watch in SD if there is nothing else showing.

#1960 OFFLINE   jason williams

jason williams

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Just looked at my June bill and the $10 HD credit was there and I was one of the early ones to get this. Is this credit now permanent?

#1961 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

With the arguing going on from the other side, it's obvious DirecTV is depending on getting that $10 per sub revenue back. But, hey...If you were under a contract for 2 years, the good news is that it is over and you can just cancel without fee should DirecTV choose not provide another discount.

Me? Well yes, the added $10 will in fact make/break me, so either a receiver gets chopped off and maybe a package downgrade. I have a monetary threshold for TV services.

The DirecTV website still defines Advanced Receiver Service-HD as:

And if you're an old customer, you can pay us. Oh well, I can be a "new" customer somewhere else.

New subs and existing subs pay the same for Directv. New subs possibly get discounts for the first year or whatever the offer is. The charges are still the same reguardless of the discounts. New subs and existing subs with hd will both see "advanced receiver hd" which is just another way of saying 'HD access" which is what is said prior to the February price increase.

#1962 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Wonder where D gets the $10 figure from for HD? That would seem to be a boatload of $'s per month. I would assume that Dish makes up the $10 some way (fewer HD channels and/or more equip. rental, etc.). Don't know for sure, just wondering...

The point is, D* charges $10 per account with HD programming. They do not charge $10 per HD receiver. Comcast in my area charges $8 for HD. The difference being $8 per hd receiver on the account which quickly adds up.

#1963 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,930 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Just looked at my June bill and the $10 HD credit was there and I was one of the early ones to get this. Is this credit now permanent?

IIRC the promotion didnt' start until 6/11 so it would be July as the first bills that this credit no longer applies to.

#1964 OFFLINE   jason williams

jason williams

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

IIRC the promotion didnt' start until 6/11 so it would be July as the first bills that this credit no longer applies to.

Directv bills you a month in advance so I think the credit has been renewed...Others are also reporting that it has been renewed

#1965 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,930 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

Directv bills you a month in advance so I think the credit has been renewed...Others are also reporting that it has been renewed

I can state that there is no extension of this promotion and it doesn't exist anymore.

With that said the earliest sign up to my knowledge was the first week in June so let's just say 6/6/10. If you signed up on or after this date but your bill cycle is after the date you signed up the first credit would post the day it was added but was meant for the next bill. For example your bill date is 15th and you received the credit on the 6th. You would see a credit apply on the 6th for the first month and it was meant for July. 24 months later it will stop on that bill. So even the earliest adopters of this promotion should still see a credit until a bill after 6/6/10 (again not an exact date just my estimation). Then the credits will stop applyiing depending on when the promotion was signed up for. I would say the majority of early adopters had the credit supposed to be for the July bill which means they will see a credit through August.

As a side note just because the first credit posts on a specific date doesn't mean it posts the same time each month on that date.

#1966 OFFLINE   MrBill64

MrBill64

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

Here is what I got yesterday when calling in to see if there were any deals on NFLST. After agreeing to getting $100 off NFLST the CSR said I qualified for 12 months of free HD. I have been on the 24 month free HD for existing customers promo and they gave me a 12 month extension without even asking. BTW, my original 24 month free HD doesn't expire until July. This is what showed up on my account after speaking with a CSR:

Advanced Receiver-HD - 12moFreeHDExist ($10.00) $0.00

I did get this through retention so ymmv with a regular csr. It's not free HD for life but it appears that if you call in you can at least extend the free HD for another year.

#1967 OFFLINE   MarkN

MarkN

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:22 AM

[quote name='TBoneit']You are missing my point or I'm not getting it across. A show or movie that is enjoyable in HD will still be enjoyable in SD. A show that is not interesting won't suddenly become interesting in HD.

speak for yourself

#1968 OFFLINE   vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:12 PM

[quote name='MarkN'][quote name='TBoneit']You are missing my point or I'm not getting it across. A show or movie that is enjoyable in HD will still be enjoyable in SD. A show that is not interesting won't suddenly become interesting in HD.

speak for yourself[/QUOTE]

Agreed. A few weeks ago I was skimming thru the program guide and saw Aliens, then was bummed that it was not in HD. I didn't watch it.

#1969 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

[quote name='vthokies1996'][quote name='MarkN']

Agreed. A few weeks ago I was skimming thru the program guide and saw Aliens, then was bummed that it was not in HD. I didn't watch it.[/QUOTE]

I have to say it sounds to me as if you weren't really interested in watching it then.

Did you and MarkN also throw out your DVDs since they are not HD either?

I can tell you that within 2 minutes of starting a interesting movie I do not notice if it is SD or HD.

And just because it isn't widescreen does not make it SD.

The Hogans Heros that HD net was showing in 4:3 Ar never looked so good.

Likewise for Northern Exposure.

Anything shot on Film can be turned into HD since film generally provides a better picture than HD. It had to so it could be projected on those big screens in the movie Theater. It might be 4:3 AR but still High resolution.

And don't get me started on the Channels that take a widescreen and crop the sides to remove the black bars top & bottom.

#1970 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

My statement from today has the $10 credit removed. I got the credit 6/6/10 (I know the date because I emailed my father-in-law to notify him about the credit).

It merits a phone call to see what DirecTV can do for me.

#1971 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,512 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

My statement from today has the $10 credit removed. I got the credit 6/6/10 (I know the date because I emailed my father-in-law to notify him about the credit).

It merits a phone call to see what DirecTV can do for me.

Then hasn't it been 24 months? June 2010 - May 2012?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#1972 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Then hasn't it been 24 months? June 2010 - May 2012?

Absolutely. Still worth a shot to see if there's any offers. I don't usually jump on the discount train (except for my two DirecTiVos upgraded to HD-DVRs. I said "I really like your service, I'm not going to cancel, can you see what's available if I'd like to do a hardware replacement?") so the worst DirecTV can say is "no".

#1973 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:15 AM

Got my statement today and HD Credit is gone.

#1974 OFFLINE   MarkN

MarkN

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

[quote name='TBoneit'][quote name='vthokies1996']

I have to say it sounds to me as if you weren't really interested in watching it then.

Did you and MarkN also throw out your DVDs since they are not HD either?

as a matter of fact I did....

#1975 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Got my statement today and HD Credit is gone.

That is alarming to hear.

I've been reading a lot of good things about the Dish Hopper/Joey. A coworker got one last week and raves about watching shows without commercials. I am tempted to switch. No free HD would definitely push me over.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...