Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

Well, 2 years will probably cover the maximum amount of time that an additional charge for HD will be in their cost structure. In 2 years charging extra for HD will be like charging extra for a color picture. I can even envision a day in the not to distant future when SD is completely eliminated.

Millions and millions just switched to DTV converter box from analog...I think I'll be dead before SD is gone.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

Well, 2 years will probably cover the maximum amount of time that an additional charge for HD will be in their cost structure. In 2 years charging extra for HD will be like charging extra for a color picture. I can even envision a day in the not to distant future when SD is completely eliminated.

Very true.
DTV = Digital Television

#143 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:01 AM

I called to ask if the offer of free HD for life was only available to new customers...even though I already knew that. She immediately told me that there was an offer for current customers as well and that was it. Your experience may vary.

Do you care to tell us, as an existing customer, what you got since you inquired?

#144 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:07 AM

Do you care to tell us, as an existing customer, what you got since you inquired?

From earlier this morning:

FYI...the offer for new customers who call to complain is free HD for 2 years rather than the lifetime of the account. The requirements are the same: must maintain a minimum programming package, auto billpay, and HD access.

DTV = Digital Television

#145 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

.....you will go to dish with their lousy picture ? :P

I really am a DirecTV fan but I have invested the time to do side by side comparisons (120Hz scan rate plasmas) on most feeds my eyes can't tell the difference. where DirecTV trumps Dish is in HD sports coverage and better pay per view HD offerings.

#146 OFFLINE   robnielsen

robnielsen

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

Looks like it will be free for all. I attached a snapshot of http://www.directv.c...equestid=383882

Attached Thumbnails

• free.jpg

HR34-700, Sharp LC-60LE847U
C41-100, Toshiba 42XV540U

C41-100, Vizio SV320XVT
C41-100, Insignia NS-L19Q-10A
SWM16

#147 OFFLINE   Brian Hanasky

Brian Hanasky

Godfather

• Registered
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:34 AM

Just called Directv and asked about the free HD for life noting that I already had auto bill pay and the choice ultimate package. CSR checked a couple of things and then said I qualified for free HD for 24months. As some people had posted it's possible that by then they will have restructured their plans so that HD will no longer be a seperate charge. Once again DBStalk has given me the upper hand.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: budracin88

#148 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

Looks like it will be free for all. I attached a snapshot of http://www.directv.c...equestid=383882

When does this go into effect?

#149 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

Funny, the stupidest thing I've ever seen is DirecTV's short-sighted marketing and ever-more extravagant new customer-only deals that absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, incentivize customer turn over. The reason that's stupid is because getting a new customers cost DirecTV infinitely more than retaining an existing one and, therefore, people who bounce back and forth every year or two cost the company a lot of money. Living where I do, where sat is the only option, the vast majority of my neighbors have had both DirecTV and Dish, and go back and forth when one makes them an "offer they can't refuse." (Of the 40 or so homes in our loosely-defined neighborhood, I'd say 2/3 have more than one dish on their roof.)

I also think it's hysterical that my complaints about DirecTV's policies are labeled as "entitlement" by the very people who say they're going to call in, and keep calling, until they get this offer applied to their account. Call me disgruntled, call me a whiner, but Mr. I'm-not-concerned-about-everyone-else-because-I'm-gonna-keep-pressing-until-I-get-this-for-myself is the very definition of entitled.

I absolutely loathe DirecTV's legendary and completely random treatment of their customers, even if I have at times (by reading here and then calling in to request what others have received) benefited from it. Either make an offer available to everybody, or nobody, that fall within a definitive set of guidelines. What one CSR can offer, should be the same as the next. You shouldn't be able to call four times and get four completely different answers/offers. It shouldn't be a process of call center roulette. That complete and absolute unfairness is infuriating. Those who complain the most are not owed the best service. Again, from a business perspective, that not only creates exactly the kind of burned feeling I have, but it also costs you money, paying for the time it takes to answer multiple calls from the same person.

By the way, just for fun, I emailed DirecTV, noting I was a 12-year customer, always on the premier package who used autopay and asking if I was eligible for this current free HD deal and received the following cut-and-paste response ...

"The free HD for Life offer is only available to new customers.

"In order to find out what HD offers are available to you, please call 800-824-9081 between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM daily. When the system asks for a Personal ID Number (PIN), enter XXX (this PIN is good for five days). We're looking forward to talking to you!

"Once again I would like to thank you for writing."

Oh and, we all already pay DirecTV HD for, with or without the $10/month fee. HD existed on DirecTV before the fee, and will continue to exist after it is, eventually, discontinued. If they raise the package rates by $10 to cover it--which I'm sure will be billed a customer-benefitial "restructuring of their programming tiers" and not a price increase--they do so only to increase their profits, not because they need that $10/customer to provide the service. Don't get me wrong, that is good business, from their side. I note it only because of the people on this forum who are always jumping in to insist that poor DirecTV HAS to charge this fee or that one in order to cover their costs and survive, as if otherwise they would be taking a loss on the services they offer us. ("They have to charge an extra fee because it costs more to provide HD." "The fee is a favor to the customers that are SD only." "They have to charge big up front receiver fees to recoup the cost of development." "Without the DVR fee they couldn't develop the software." B.S. all.) This is not a business that is living close to the margin. While there are, obviously, substantial costs involved in acquiring and distributing DirecTV's programming they'd have to cut their prices just about in half in order to be even close to barely scraping by.

Edited by susanandmark, 05 June 2010 - 08:18 AM.

#150 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

If you're going through that particular web page, it would indicate you are buying new service. For those people it will be free as long as you are a subscriber. I don't see where that indicates it will be available to existing subscribers. After all, existing subscribers must login to change their programming. You don't go through that interface.

#151 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:12 AM

I just called in and was also given the free HD for 2 years offer...

FYI for anyone interested: I have the legacy PLUS HD DVR package and I did NOT have to change it to get the credit.

It is already showing up on my online account:

06/05/2010 XXXXXXXXXXXX PLUS HD DVR - 24mosFreeHDAcc ($10.00) ($0.60)

#152 OFFLINE   mmmason23

mmmason23

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

I just called and got nothing. According to the csr o talked to, she said they are working on something for existing customers to be able to get in on it. Take from that what you will

#153 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

Funny, the stupidest thing I've ever seen is DirecTV's short-sighted marketing and ever-more extravagant new customer-only deals that absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, incentivize customer turn over. The reason that's stupid is because getting a new customers cost DirecTV infinitely more than retaining an existing one and, therefore, people who bounce back and forth every year or two cost the company a lot of money. Living where I do, where sat is the only option, the vast majority of my neighbors have had both DirecTV and Dish, and go back and forth when one makes them an "offer they can't refuse." (Of the 40 or so homes in our loosely-defined neighborhood, I'd say 2/3 have more than one dish on their roof.)

I also think it's hysterical that my complaints about DirecTV's policies are labeled as "entitlement" by the very people who say they're going to call in, and keep calling, until they get this offer applied to their account. Call me disgruntled, call me a whiner, but Mr. I'm-not-concerned-about-everyone-else-because-I'm-gonna-keep-pressing-until-I-get-this-for-myself is the very definition of entitled.

I absolutely loathe DirecTV's legendary and completely random treatment of their customers, even if I have at times (by reading here and then calling in to request what others have received) benefited from it. Either make an offer available to everybody, or nobody, that fall within a definitive set of guidelines. What one CSR can offer, should be the same as the next. You shouldn't be able to call four times and get four completely different answers/offers. It shouldn't be a process of call center roulette. That complete and absolute unfairness is infuriating. Those who complain the most are not owed the best service. Again, from a business perspective, that not only creates exactly the kind of burned feeling I have, but it also costs you money, paying for the time it takes to answer multiple calls from the same person.

By the way, just for fun, I emailed DirecTV, noting I was a 12-year customer, always on the premier package who used autopay and asking if I was eligible for this current free HD deal and received the following cut-and-paste response ...

"In order to find out what HD offers are available to you, please call 800-824-9081 between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM daily. When the system asks for a Personal ID Number (PIN), enter XXX (this PIN is good for five days). We're looking forward to talking to you!

Oh and, we all already pay DirecTV HD for, with or without the $10/month fee. HD existed on DirecTV before the fee, and will continue to exist after it is, eventually, discontinued. If they raise the package rates by $10 to cover it--which I'm sure will be billed a customer-benefitial "restructuring of their programming tiers" and not a price increase--they do so only to increase their profits, not because they need that $10/customer to provide the service. Don't get me wrong, that is good business, from their side. I note it only because of the people on this forum who are always jumping in to insist that poor DirecTV HAS to charge this fee or that one in order to cover their costs and survive, as if otherwise they would be taking a loss on the services they offer us. ("They have to charge an extra fee because it costs more to provide HD." "The fee is a favor to the customers that are SD only." "They have to charge big up front receiver fees to recoup the cost of development." "Without the DVR fee they couldn't develop the software." B.S. all.) This is not a business that is living close to the margin. While there are, obviously, substantial costs involved in acquiring and distributing DirecTV's programming they'd have to cut their prices just about in half in order to be even close to barely scraping by.

Could you possibly be anymore dramatic? We get it. When are you canceling?
DTV = Digital Television

#154 OFFLINE   PCHDTV

PCHDTV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:11 AM

I just received $10/month credit for 24 months - no questions asked. Just call and be nice. :)

06/05/2010 XXXXXXXXXXXX PLUS HD DVR - 24mosFreeHDAcc ($10.00) ($1.32)

I suspect they may roll this out automatically given the ease in which it is acquired.

Edited by PCHDTV, 05 June 2010 - 09:32 AM.

#155 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,906 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:12 AM

I just called and got nothing. According to the csr o talked to, she said they are working on something for existing customers to be able to get in on it. Take from that what you will

Translated: Working on how to nickel and dime existing customers!

#156 OFFLINE   mmmason23

mmmason23

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

Basically. I think I might get screwed here. Signed up three weeks ago. Probably too new to get the two years free, and too old to get the HD for life. I'm gonna try again tomorrow.

#157 OFFLINE   pappy97

pappy97

Icon

• No PM's
  • 611 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

I just called in and was also given the free HD for 2 years offer...

FYI for anyone interested: I have the legacy PLUS HD DVR package and I did NOT have to change it to get the credit.

It is already showing up on my online account:

06/05/2010 XXXXXXXXXXXX PLUS HD DVR - 24mosFreeHDAcc ($10.00) ($0.60)

Thanks for the news, great to hear!! Did you also have to switch to auto billpay or do you already do that?

Did you talk to a regular CSR or a retention CSR?

Edited by pappy97, 05 June 2010 - 09:55 AM.

My setup (TV + DirecTV):
Master Bedroom: LG 32" 120hz LCD TV, GENIE Client
Living room: Samsung 46" 120hz LED LCD TV 7000 series, GENIE Master
Dedicated HT: Epson 8700UB projector with 150" 16:9 painted on screen and 180" 2.4:1 painted on screen, HD-DVR (HR22), Denon AVR-890, Klipsch Icon Front Speakers, Center Speaker, and Klipsch Icon Floorstanders for side and rear speakers (6 total floorstanders), subwoofer is BIC America V-1220 12" down-firing sub

#158 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:40 AM

Could you possibly be anymore dramatic? We get it. When are you canceling?

+100000000

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#159 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

Frankly, I find it ridiculous to have to pay extra for HD in this day and age. Before too long, HD will take over the airways and SD will be long forgotten. Sort of equates to the B&W transition to color. We pay extra in the form of higher up-front lease fees for HD receivers and other equipment so no real legit reason to have to pay extra to receive it. DirecTV has already removed the requirement to have HD on the account to receive HD PPV...the fee should be eliminated completely IMHO.
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#160 OFFLINE   Dradran

Dradran

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:53 AM

I called and was put on hold for a while. Then the CSR came back and gave me the whole speel about it being for new customers and they are trying to come up with something for existing customers.

I joined D* July 2009 on the ST promotion with Premier for 59.99 per month with auto bill pay.

Maybe I should make a personal visit to their comm center down the street from me. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...