Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   dreamyip

dreamyip

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

I just got my 24 months free HD Access as well - as an existing customer (with auto pay)

06/05/2010 XXXXXXXXXXXX PLUS HD DVR - 24mosFreeHDAcc ($10.00) $0.00
HR22-100 -> Sony KDL-52W4100 via HDMI
H21-200-> Gateway FHD2400 LCD via HDMI
H21-100 -> Sony 50" LCD via HDMI
HR24-500 - Panasonic TC-P65S2
5 LNB Slimline with Zinwell 6x8 Mulitswitch
Logitech Harmony ONE remote control

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

I called to ask if the offer of free HD for life was only available to new customers...even though I already knew that. She immediately told me that there was an offer for current customers as well and that was it. Your experience may vary.

It is my understanding that if you call in and you meet certain criteria, that this will be the offer that you receive. I don't think that each and every person will qualify, but many (most?) will.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#163 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

I just got it. Only had to mention it and was given it without hesitation. I've got Choice Xtra with HDDVR, Showtime and a I'm a long time NFLST subscriber.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#164 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

Tried to get it but the rep said I have exceeded my credit limit....LOL

Did mention the need to sign up for Auto-Pay
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#165 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,920 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:26 AM

Tried to get it but the rep said I have exceeded my credit limit....LOL

Did mention the need to sign up for Auto-Pay

I suspect that if you have been given a lot of freebies recently that you won't be eligible for the HD discount ...
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#166 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:34 AM

I called, the CSR that I talked to said that he only saw the new customer offer, nothing for existing customers for a 2 year offer. Think I'll just try the e-mail route and see what happens.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#167 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,768 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:42 AM

FYI...the offer for new customers who call to complain is free HD for 2 years rather than the lifetime of the account. The requirements are the same: must maintain a minimum programming package, auto billpay, and HD access.

Don't you mean existing customers?

#168 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,939 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

FYI...the offer for new customers who call to complain is free HD for 2 years rather than the lifetime of the account. The requirements are the same: must maintain a minimum programming package, auto billpay, and HD access.

So DirecTV is offering Free HD for life but giving you two years to live? :D

Free HD for 2 years is a start. I agree that there is a decent chance that the HD charge will be dropped completely (or rolled into package prices) before the two years are up. I'll be surprised if you ever pay a basic HD fee again.

#169 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:59 AM

Funny, the stupidest thing I've ever seen is DirecTV's short-sighted marketing and ever-more extravagant new customer-only deals that absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, incentivize customer turn over. The reason that's stupid is because getting a new customers cost DirecTV infinitely more than retaining an existing one and, therefore, people who bounce back and forth every year or two cost the company a lot of money. Living where I do, where sat is the only option, the vast majority of my neighbors have had both DirecTV and Dish, and go back and forth when one makes them an "offer they can't refuse." (Of the 40 or so homes in our loosely-defined neighborhood, I'd say 2/3 have more than one dish on their roof.)

I also think it's hysterical that my complaints about DirecTV's policies are labeled as "entitlement" by the very people who say they're going to call in, and keep calling, until they get this offer applied to their account. Call me disgruntled, call me a whiner, but Mr. I'm-not-concerned-about-everyone-else-because-I'm-gonna-keep-pressing-until-I-get-this-for-myself is the very definition of entitled.

I absolutely loathe DirecTV's legendary and completely random treatment of their customers, even if I have at times (by reading here and then calling in to request what others have received) benefited from it. Either make an offer available to everybody, or nobody, that fall within a definitive set of guidelines. What one CSR can offer, should be the same as the next. You shouldn't be able to call four times and get four completely different answers/offers. It shouldn't be a process of call center roulette. That complete and absolute unfairness is infuriating. Those who complain the most are not owed the best service. Again, from a business perspective, that not only creates exactly the kind of burned feeling I have, but it also costs you money, paying for the time it takes to answer multiple calls from the same person.

By the way, just for fun, I emailed DirecTV, noting I was a 12-year customer, always on the premier package who used autopay and asking if I was eligible for this current free HD deal and received the following cut-and-paste response ...

"The free HD for Life offer is only available to new customers.

"In order to find out what HD offers are available to you, please call 800-824-9081 between 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM daily. When the system asks for a Personal ID Number (PIN), enter XXX (this PIN is good for five days). We're looking forward to talking to you!

"Once again I would like to thank you for writing."

Oh and, we all already pay DirecTV HD for, with or without the $10/month fee. HD existed on DirecTV before the fee, and will continue to exist after it is, eventually, discontinued. If they raise the package rates by $10 to cover it--which I'm sure will be billed a customer-benefitial "restructuring of their programming tiers" and not a price increase--they do so only to increase their profits, not because they need that $10/customer to provide the service. Don't get me wrong, that is good business, from their side. I note it only because of the people on this forum who are always jumping in to insist that poor DirecTV HAS to charge this fee or that one in order to cover their costs and survive, as if otherwise they would be taking a loss on the services they offer us. ("They have to charge an extra fee because it costs more to provide HD." "The fee is a favor to the customers that are SD only." "They have to charge big up front receiver fees to recoup the cost of development." "Without the DVR fee they couldn't develop the software." B.S. all.) This is not a business that is living close to the margin. While there are, obviously, substantial costs involved in acquiring and distributing DirecTV's programming they'd have to cut their prices just about in half in order to be even close to barely scraping by.

I would start with calling before you blow a gasket. You'll get what everyone else is getting if they are indeed getting the monthly credits.

#170 OFFLINE   cbabec

cbabec

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:03 AM

I called today and got 24 months of HD for free for signing up for auto bill pay. Its not free for life, but better than nothing

#171 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

Don't you mean existing customers?

Oh my...yes. Thank you. I had just woken up.
DTV = Digital Television

#172 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,875 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

I'm disappointed by the fact that new customers are getting "Free For Life" and existing customers are only getting 2 years.

I've never been one to complain about the HD fee, so even if Dish Network had offered it and DirecTV hadn't, I would have been fine with it, but now that DirecTV's offering it to new customers, but existing customers are only getting 2 years, I find it extremely disappointing. :(

I'll probably call today and see if I can get my 2 years... I feel pretty good about it since it's been three years since I received a programming credit (when I got my HR20), but I still find it disappointing. :(

I started to ask if anyone's tried to deactivate their HD service and then add it back, but if memory serves, that causes a recovery unit for your HD receivers, does it not?! Perhaps someone in a MPEG4 market might have tried it?!

~Alan

#173 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

I would start with calling before you blow a gasket. You'll get what everyone else is getting if they are indeed getting the monthly credits.

Been a customer, at our current address, by DirecTV's own records, since 1999. (Was previously with DirecTV a year or so before that move too.) Always at highest level of service. On autopay for at least a decade, maybe more.

Called 1-800 number, entered pin. Explained, etc. Was told only one department could add that offer. Was transferred to that department. Waited on hold 13 minutes. Told that no such offer existed, for new or existing customers. Refereed them to their own website that advertises said freebie for new sign ups. Then told, by same person, that offer was for new customers only. Pointed out that other existing customers are getting it and pointed to this forum. Was told, and I quote, "That people lie all the time." Was offered six free months of HD extra pack. Asked if that would extend my contract. Told, "I don't know that." Declined offer. (We do currently pay for the HD extra pack, by the way, after having been given it as a free for 3-6 months each of the past two years.) 33 minutes later phone call over.

EDITED TO NOTE: I'm actually not upset at all. In fact, this is the level of (bad) service I've come to expect from DirecTV, so it comes as absolutely no surprise. I also wasn't agitated, demanding or even frustrated on the phone call. I didn't really expect it to go any other way. (I've been told various versions of "everybody lies" by DirecTV before.) It was more of an experiment than anything else.

Edited by susanandmark, 05 June 2010 - 12:35 PM.

#174 OFFLINE   JDS51066

JDS51066

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

I just got off the phone and was granted the 2yrs free HD without question. Very simple. I'm sure they either anticipated the calls or scrambled to do something. I agree with all earlier posts that current customers should not have to call for this. HD fee should be dropped period for all.

#175 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,048 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

:lol: No one can be as unlucky as susanandmark. You're stories are hilarious.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#176 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

Just called and got the credit

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

#177 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:58 AM

When I called this morning, I'm pretty sure the CSR told me that the HD free for "life" offer to new customers is for 24 months. If that's true and if I were a new customer calling up about the offer, hearing that they had defined "life" as "24 months" might be enough for me to simply hang up on them. I mean, seriously, by what non-misleading definition could anyone construe "life" as "24 months"? Could it be that they're counting on the end of the world in 2012??? I guess the Mayans were right after all!:lol:

I'm disappointed by the fact that new customers are getting "Free For Life" and existing customers are only getting 2 years.

~Alan

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#178 OFFLINE   mrmojo

mrmojo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:00 PM

Just called and got the free HD for 24 months deal. The CSR in the promotions dept told me that after 24 months I can call back and get the same deal again. We'll see in 2 yrs...

#179 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:03 PM

Just had one of the shortest conversations ever with D*. Told Victoria what I wanted, she said hold on for a minute and then told me it was done. Checked my account and it now says:

06/05/2010 XXXXXXXX HD Access - 24mosFreeHDAcc ($10.00) $0.00

Wish all my contacts with them were this fast/easy.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#180 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:11 PM

:lol: No one can be as unlucky as susanandmark. You're stories are hilarious.

There is a fine line between hilarious and ridiculous.:D

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

Protected By... spam firewall...And...