Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Free HD for life (24 months for existing subs)

• Please log in to reply
2475 replies to this topic

#2301 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Wow, so I'm making it up.

I've posted what I've received, as well as stated how long I've been a customer, and what I've received previously. So it should be pretty clear to you or anyone else what the parameters are for getting discounts.

If someone has been a 17 yr subscriber, it's pretty safe to assume they should be receiving better offers than what has been done. Others with less tenure have. Also, many have stated that they have had to call more than once to get better offers.

So, and this shouldn't be difficult to understand, it's been recommended that this person try again to get a better deal.

Expectations with no information? Really? They've stated how long they've been a customer, as well as stating they haven't received much ever. I've stated how long I've been a customer, and what I've received.

Seems like that information is relevant here, no??

You have 1 piece of inromation and you stated "facts" and now you're saying you're posting assumptions. You're claiming that based on what you have received you know what the parameters are for everyone. So please share what the formula is as I'm sure everyone here would like to know. I know you can't so don't bother the point is that assuming that others can get something and telling them they can is not helping them because if it's not true they just get more upset. Every account is different and will be handled as such.

I can understand wanting to "help" out people but there are good ways to do it and not good ways. Posting absolutes when dealing with DIRECTV is a quick way to get proven wrong.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2302 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

I wanted to believe what was being told to me on the phone, forget the "disputed" email and card. D* unequivocally misinformed me at 3 levels. Only Retention got the story straight, and realized how incompetent the CSRs and Supervisors had been. They admitted as much. They (CSR and Superviso) even attempted to extort a one or two year commitment in order to honor what was (clear to me) the offer. That was the point where I called retention.

When hundreds of people read an offer one way, (and there was no purpose in sending out the email and card, if it was a two year old offer), then something was very, very wrong in the communication. Let's not forget that the post card I got said I wasn't on autopay as well...when I've been on autopay without interruption since 1995.

People can deflect by disputing wording all they want. This is D*'s screwup from the word go, even if one completely ignores the email. The phone misinformation and erroneous post card saying I wasn't on autopay, saying I would lose free HD Access, are indisputable.

It is beyond me why anyone would even be inclined to defend such sloppy performance both in writing (you aren't on autopay) and in my phone call, the legion of errors, misinformation and general incompetence of which was detailed in one of my earlier posts.

The only reason I posted yet another comment on this topic is the main subject seemed to have gotten lost in personality disputes. I'll say it one more time:

D* handling of my particular situation was disgraceful, and it doesn't appear that I was alone. Only Retention straightened it out.

Reminds me of the old Simon and Garfunkel lyric:

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest...":)

I agree completely. My email on June 15 says "You will be receiving free HD for 24 months". That's pretty hard to misconstrue.

#2303 OFFLINE   rgs825

rgs825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

I agree completely. My email on June 15 says "You will be receiving free HD for 24 months". That's pretty hard to misconstrue.

Well, in all fairness, it didn't say when you would be receiving free hd for 24 months. Could be next year or 20 years from now. :lol:

This recent fiasco, as well as them changing my current package (and raising my monthly price by $16 as well as the $10 HD access fee) made me drop them and have Comcast installed. Don't really notice much of a difference other than the user guide is a bit dated and not as flashy as Directv, but the HD I'm getting is the same or close to what I was getting with Directv. I know each area is different when it comes to cable, but so far I'm happy. And it's about $64 per month less than Directv.

Canceled this morning. Was like a divorce. Been with them since 1998. When I had problems or issues, they didn't want to know me. As soon as I said "cancel" the deals and pleading to stay starting flowing. They should have done that before I had cable installed.

#2304 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:27 PM

I would almost say that some quirk triggered the "not on AutoPay" notifications. When that was corrected, the system believed that you were newly added to the Free HD program which triggered the postcard and email.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#2305 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I would almost say that some quirk triggered the "not on AutoPay" notifications. When that was corrected, the system believed that you were newly added to the Free HD program which triggered the postcard and email.

- Merg

The system has a rule to send qualifications of the free HD promotion when something changed that could impact it. Such as updating billing information, removing auto bill pay, setting up intigrated billing, changing a package.

The reminder states that if you have the requirements you will get the free hd for 24 months. It doesn't state that you will get it from the date of the card going forward just that you will recieve a discount for a total of 24 months by meeting the requirements. Failing to meet the requirements will not result in 24 seperate credits.

Obviously something happened at the end of the promotion to a group of customers that the system triggered something incorrectly and confusion ensued. Similiar to when it rolled to the 13th month and some people (mainly the early adpoters who got it the first month) missed their 13th credit. This was the first promotion of this kind where it spanned multiple years and had multiple requirements. Clearly things happened which were unexpected and therefor resolved.

That promotion is gone and there are current promotions that are account based. Regardless of if you received a communication in error or not if you had called in you would have been offered what you're eligible for. If anyone has stated anything other than that then it's just to make you feel better. As clearly demonstrated in this thread there are people who don't care about what the real truth is they just want to have their version. So if you were told you automatically extended it was just done to placate you because it wasn't worth really trying to explain what happened because it would have been futile.

#2306 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

- Merg

Except I got them in the reverse order. The Free HD notice came before the AutoPay notice. Then the bizarre phone conversations started.

All "explaining" aside, it was a massive screw up, that left a lot of customers with a bad taste in their mouth, as it should have. Very poorly handled by D*. I have now taken to warning any people I refer (and I don't take any referral money, never have) that communications screw ups are common and have not improved over time, so document all your calls and get anything you can in writing. So far, my referrals have not bitten me, but I'm being much more careful now than I used to be.

D* has become utterly undependable (in terms of communication). I no longer trust anything any of their people say, other than Retention. I am not asserting that I have been lied to, as I don't believe that at all. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing and supervisors cannot be relied upon. (they contradict each other).

The only people I've gotten a straight story from are in Retention. Sad, but true, and sooner or later, that avenue will get closed off when it becomes apparent that they are being called not because anyone really wants to cancel, but just to get someone competent without playing CSR/Supervisor roulette. It's downright embarassing.

Edited by hasan, 26 July 2012 - 03:25 PM.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#2307 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

The system has a rule to send qualifications of the free HD promotion when something changed that could impact it. Such as updating billing information, removing auto bill pay, setting up intigrated billing, changing a package.

The reminder states that if you have the requirements you will get the free hd for 24 months. It doesn't state that you will get it from the date of the card going forward just that you will recieve a discount for a total of 24 months by meeting the requirements. Failing to meet the requirements will not result in 24 seperate credits.

Obviously something happened at the end of the promotion to a group of customers that the system triggered something incorrectly and confusion ensued. Similiar to when it rolled to the 13th month and some people (mainly the early adpoters who got it the first month) missed their 13th credit. This was the first promotion of this kind where it spanned multiple years and had multiple requirements. Clearly things happened which were unexpected and therefor resolved.

That promotion is gone and there are current promotions that are account based. Regardless of if you received a communication in error or not if you had called in you would have been offered what you're eligible for. If anyone has stated anything other than that then it's just to make you feel better. As clearly demonstrated in this thread there are people who don't care about what the real truth is they just want to have their version. So if you were told you automatically extended it was just done to placate you because it wasn't worth really trying to explain what happened because it would have been futile.

I got the first card telling me about the hd requirements in March. I got the email shortly afterwards. I contacted Ellen Filipiak's office soon after that. They knew about the issue with both the emails and cards and chose to do nothing to stop them. They even sent an additional one of each to me in June. How can you defend what is clearly bonehead behavior?

#2308 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Except I got them in the reverse order. The Free HD notice came before the AutoPay notice. Then the bizarre phone conversations started.

All "explaining" aside, it was a massive screw up, that left a lot of customers with a bad taste in their mouth, as it should have. Very poorly handled by D*. I have now taken to warning any people I refer (and I don't take any referral money, never have) that communications screw ups are common and have not improved over time, so document all your calls and get anything you can in writing. So far, my referrals have not bitten me, but I'm being much more careful now than I used to be.

D* has become utterly undependable (in terms of communication). I no longer trust anything any of their people say, other than Retention. I am not asserting that I have been lied to, as I don't believe that at all. The left hand doesn't know what the right has is doing and supervisors cannot be relied upon. (they contradict each other).

The only people I've gotten a straight story from are in Retention. Sad, but true, and sooner or later, that avenue will get closed off when it becomes apparent that they are being called not because anyone really wants to cancel, but just to get someone competent without playing CSR/Supervisor roulette. It's downright embarassing.

Totally agree.

As I said before, when I call to "cancel" it will be because I'm really cancelling.

If a long time customer with high monthly payments has to jump through hoops just to get what you're told you're going to get, there are serious problems with that.

All DTV reps I spoke with were always courteous and nice, but in most cases were clueless.

That's gotta change if they want to keep me as a customer.

At this point, after MLB EI concludes, I will be looking at other providers.

I just hope their reps are more competent.

I know, I'm a dreamer..........

Also, as hasan said, get everything in writing, as it will help avoid confusion down the road. And if they refuse to put it in writing, then they can keep it.

#2309 OFFLINE   lesz

lesz

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

I'm confident that the reality is that DIRECTV does make different discounts/promotions to different customers based on their account status and history.

While some might agree and others might disagree as to whether this is an appropriate way to deal with its customers, what is clear to me is that, from a public relations point of view, DIRECTV has made an unwise decision to include free HD access as one of the items for which different customers are treated differently. If DIRECTV gives some customers, based on their account histories, a $10 general programming discount or reduced-cost Showtime, or 3 months of free Starz, etc, most customers won't even be aware that some others are getting discounts, and there is unlikely to be significant backlash from customers who are not getting the discounts. With HD access, however, since it a service that is a) used by a very large portion of DIRECTV customers, B) offered at no cost by (many) other providers, and c) offered free for life to new DIRECTV customers, it becomes a service offering that is likely to cause severe PR backlash from those who are not able to get it at no charge. And, not only does it cause resentment from those who are not able to get free HD, but discussions like this one also bring to light all of the other discounts that some customers are receiving, which causes further anger from those who are not getting discounts.

Further, even those who are able to finally get the free HD credits by making multiple calls, talking to multiple CSRs or departments, etc., are likely to retain continuing bad feelings toward DIRECTV just because of the time that they spent and the hoops through which they had to jump just to get a discount similar to what they know others received.

Thus, even if DIRECTV feels that it is in their interests to continue to offer various discounts to some customers based on their account status/history, I think it would be a wise decision from a customer relations point of view not to include free HD in the array of discounts that are offered only to some customers. Either charge everyone, or charge no one, even if that means hiding a charge by rolling HD charges into the base package price.

#2310 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 736 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

The system has a rule to send qualifications of the free HD promotion when something changed that could impact it. Such as updating billing information, removing auto bill pay, setting up intigrated billing, changing a package..............

I did none of these....and last call was early this year for a HR34, with no other changes to account.

Then I get the Free HD Access email June 15th, and a postcard about July 3rd. As I stated like 10 pages ago, receiving these notifications at the start of the promotion is one thing, and receiving them two years later......on the eve of expiration........is another thing.

Couple that with the sentence "To continue to receive FREE HD Access, etc., etc., etc........", one should not convict a consumer for thinking they can still receive it as long as the three conditions are met. This should be no surprise.

As it stands, a certain CSR (not all) "CAN" continue the same promotion for two more years, as the new line item on my recent activity matches the same line item for the last two years. I am pleased my particular CSR I spoke with continued the tradition, or I may have considered dropping autopay.

I appreciate your explanations Shades, and I know sometimes you are between a rock and a hard place on topics like these, but I am also very understanding on what its like dealing with the general public on a daily basis.

#2311 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

I'm confident that the reality is that DIRECTV does make different discounts/promotions to different customers based on their account status and history.

While some might agree and others might disagree as to whether this is an appropriate way to deal with its customers, what is clear to me is that, from a public relations point of view, DIRECTV has made an unwise decision to include free HD access as one of the items for which different customers are treated differently. If DIRECTV gives some customers, based on their account histories, a $10 general programming discount or reduced-cost Showtime, or 3 months of free Starz, etc, most customers won't even be aware that some others are getting discounts, and there is unlikely to be significant backlash from customers who are not getting the discounts. With HD access, however, since it a service that is a) used by a very large portion of DIRECTV customers, B) offered at no cost by (many) other providers, and c) offered free for life to new DIRECTV customers, it becomes a service offering that is likely to cause severe PR backlash from those who are not able to get it at no charge. And, not only does it cause resentment from those who are not able to get free HD, but discussions like this one also bring to light all of the other discounts that some customers are receiving, which causes further anger from those who are not getting discounts.

Further, even those who are able to finally get the free HD credits by making multiple calls, talking to multiple CSRs or departments, etc., are likely to retain continuing bad feelings toward DIRECTV just because of the time that they spent and the hoops through which they had to jump just to get a discount similar to what they know others received.

Thus, even if DIRECTV feels that it is in their interests to continue to offer various discounts to some customers based on their account status/history, I think it would be a wise decision from a customer relations point of view not to include free HD in the array of discounts that are offered only to some customers. Either charge everyone, or charge no one, even if that means hiding a charge by rolling HD charges into the base package price.

+1
Each acount is supposed to be handled diferently...but as I have stated many, many times before some CSR's will do whatever to get someone off the phone
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#2312 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

One quick call and mine has been reinstated for 12 months.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#2313 OFFLINE   finaldiet

finaldiet

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

I got the same card. Checked my account and saw the HD discount of $10 a month. Also saw that they will give me an HD DVR for free, a $199 discount. Of course I know that would trigger a new 2 year contract. I'm pass my old contract by about a year and I don't need another DVR.
Avatar says" Children are the only earthly possessions you can take with you to heaven, where are you taking yours"

#2314 OFFLINE   PCHDTV

PCHDTV

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Just had to call because my latest statement dropped the credit. After much arguing, and ending up with retention, I have the credit for another 24 months. Hopefully by the end of this term they won't charge an HD access fee.

BTW, they claim the postcard was simply a reminder to keep auto pay/paperless for the credit, not anything about an extension. I'm quite sure the card I received talked about extending for 24 months, but I tossed the card. Anybody have it to confirm?

Edited by PCHDTV, 27 July 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#2315 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 589 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:09 AM

Just got my bill. They dropped the HD and I also lost my $10 credit for a new customer (10 months were up). Have been a looong time customer, got the post card a while back and, after reading this thread, am hesitant to call and ask for the HD extension. $20 hit really hurts as am on a fixed income (and yes I knew that they would run out). Don't know quite what to do to reduce my costs.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#2316 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

Just got my bill. They dropped the HD and I also lost my $10 credit for a new customer (10 months were up). Have been a looong time customer, got the post card a while back and, after reading this thread, am hesitant to call and ask for the HD extension. $20 hit really hurts as am on a fixed income (and yes I knew that they would run out). Don't know quite what to do to reduce my costs.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I would call and at least ask for the credit back. I received $25 credit for 1 year and didn't ask for it on top of the $10.00 HD Credit.

#2317 OFFLINE   miesque1127

miesque1127

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Call back, tell them you're looking for some help on your bill - you're on a fixed income, and see what they offer. Just be pleasant, if you're a long time customer I would think they will do something for you. Good luck.

#2318 OFFLINE   secondclaw

secondclaw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

Has anyone on an MDU account managed to successfully get the free HD discount?
I had tried when this started, but was denied though I satisfied all conditions of the original deal (the right plan, automatic billing, etc) but they claimed that their 'computers' didn't let this happen.

Anyway ... I'm just curious if anyone managed to actually get this.

#2319 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

After emailing DTV a few times, looks like I'll have to call them to apply the $10 credit. I got this response, I'd rather not sign up for a 2 yr contract just for a $10 monthly credit. There's no mention of this requirement in the email I got back in June.

After reviewing your account further, I see that you qualify for another $10.00 discount for two years. However, with this offer, there is a two year service agreement. If you cancel your account before completing the agreement then you may be charged an early cancellation fee. For more information, or to accept this offer, please give us a call at 800-531-5000 between the hours of 8:00 AM and 10:00 PM.

edit:
copy/paste of part of the email for the free hd access. I had to point out the "To continue" part of the email to a CSR for her to look further into my issue, only to come back with a 2 yr agreement requirement.

To continue to receive FREE HD Access, you simply need to maintain the following on your DIRECTV account during the 24-month offer period:

1. Auto Bill Pay
2. CHOICE™ or OPTIMO MÁS and above package
3. At least one(1) HD Receiver and HD Access

Failure to maintain these requirements will result in the $10 per month FREE HD Access credit being removed from your account.

edit2:
$15/month credit for 12 months, no service agreement requirement. Like others mentioned, the CSR (Promotions dept, the 1st line CSR is unable to apply the credit) told me the email was sent in error. I just told the CSR what was in the email. No yelling or anything on my part.

Edited by gnahc79, 30 July 2012 - 11:40 AM.

Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

#2320 OFFLINE   raw121

raw121

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

It may have taken longer than I would have liked but I did receive $10/month credit for 24 months. At first the offer was for 6 months, but after hesitating a bit it was changed to 24 months.

FYI
I have been a customer since 05 with the Premier package, 3 HD-DVRs, and a HD receiver. I very rarely call support, but usually I end up satisfied with the results even if it takes a little bit of time.

#2321 OFFLINE   sdicomp

sdicomp

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Just had to call because my latest statement dropped the credit. After much arguing, and ending up with retention, I have the credit for another 24 months. Hopefully by the end of this term they won't charge an HD access fee.

BTW, they claim the postcard was simply a reminder to keep auto pay/paperless for the credit, not anything about an extension. I'm quite sure the card I received talked about extending for 24 months, but I tossed the card. Anybody have it to confirm?

I have it, and it does!
Charter Digital Cable(w/FREE HD)
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Mitsubishi WD-65738 via HDMI(through Yamaha RX-V673)-networked w/Buffalo WAP
Charter Motorola HD DVR into Dynex DX-32L150A11 via HDMI

#2322 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 736 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Call back, tell them you're looking for some help on your bill - you're on a fixed income, and see what they offer. Just be pleasant, if you're a long time customer I would think they will do something for you. Good luck.

Good advice....and hopefully he won't get Shades as a CSR or he won't stand a chance. !rolling

#2323 OFFLINE   miesque1127

miesque1127

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

Good advice....and hopefully he won't get Shades as a CSR or he won't stand a chance. !rolling

Good one!!!

#2324 OFFLINE   bumeister

bumeister

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

My 24-month $10 HD credit expired, I just got off the phone with retention. She was adamant that she could not extend the HD credit, but could/would not tell me why I no longer qualify. She did offer me a DVR fee credit of $8/month for 12 months. I guess a difference of two bucks a month isn't that big a deal, though I would have preferred an extension of the existing deal.

I dunno, maybe I'll give it a few days and try retention again. I did drop HBO immediately after the call, the rep asked me what we liked to watch but offered no programming to me.

#2325 OFFLINE   rgs825

rgs825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

I did drop HBO immediately after the call, the rep asked me what we liked to watch but offered no programming to me.

Next time they ask that, tell them hard core porn. There will be a very long period of silence on the other end. :lol:

Seems to me that this credit should be standard across the board for everyone. Either offer the HD discount to everyone, or don't. Better yet, just include HD in the monthly base price and be done with it. Don't understand why HD is considered a premium at this point.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...